Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2011, 12:40 PM   #31
pinkysmama
Earning My Ears

great reviews so far. one question, was Belle at Akershus? she is my daughter's favorite and we have a reservation late August, so, we hope that she is there.
pinkysmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:44 PM   #32
Buntington
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkysmama View Post
great reviews so far. one question, was Belle at Akershus? she is my daughter's favorite and we have a reservation late August, so, we hope that she is there.
Belle is there and you get your picture taken with her at the beginning, before you get seated. She greets you for a minute and I'm sure your daughter could get an autograph before the photo is taken as well. I don't think she goes around to the tables during the meal because she's busy with the photo sessions, and it would be kind of weird for the kids to have two Belles in the same restaurant...
Planning DS's First Trip December 2016!
Buntington is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-18-2011, 12:48 PM   #33
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buntington View Post
Yeah, I sometimes doubt DH's reviews of things because he's so picky. He prefers storebought brownie mix to my homemade brownies made from Katharine Hepburn's recipe, so something must be up with his taste buds. I didn't try the mousse (too busy enjoying the cobbler!), but it might have been just fine!
Being a picky eater isn't such a bad thing. My mom has actually become more picky recently, it's just something we have to deal with.

But the least your DH could do is pretend to like your brownies better
DonaldDoleWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:58 PM   #34
Buntington
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldDoleWhip View Post
Being a picky eater isn't such a bad thing. My mom has actually become more picky recently, it's just something we have to deal with.

But the least your DH could do is pretend to like your brownies better
Well, it would be nice, but on the other hand, I wouldn't want to eat something I disliked either! If he lied about the brownies, I'd make them more often, and then he'd be miserable. He does like certain homemade things I make (sandbokkel, krumkake, and other traditional Norwegian goodies! ). He was very honest about the restaurants at WDW too, which was good, so next time we'll go to the ones that we both liked the best.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:24 PM   #35
dznyacct
DIS Veteran

From a native Hoosier , thanks for your great reviews and photos . I bet being a Floridian, you just "love" our Indiana winters . Every winter I whine to my DH a little more about how much I want to move to Florida . I can take the Florida heat any day over Indiana winters of cold, snow and ice .
Old 08-18-2011, 02:44 PM   #36
WTP
Mouseketeer

Great reviews so far! I appreciated your pics of the inside of Akershus. I've never been but getting ready to try on my upcoming trip!
Old 08-18-2011, 02:44 PM   #37
Buntington
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznyacct View Post
From a native Hoosier , thanks for your great reviews and photos . I bet being a Floridian, you just "love" our Indiana winters . Every winter I whine to my DH a little more about how much I want to move to Florida . I can take the Florida heat any day over Indiana winters of cold, snow and ice .
Thanks! DH and I lived in MN for a few years prior to moving to Indiana for school, so the winter here actually seems pretty mild in comparison. What I really hate is the ice, and the poor condition of the roads--in MN they plowed and salted constantly, so you never had to worry about driving, but I fear for my life here in Muncie while driving in the winter! I'm definitely looking forward to moving back to Florida, and not just because we'll be closer to Disney. We only have two more years before I finish my Ph.D. coursework, so I may not have to wait too long...
Old 08-19-2011, 11:32 AM   #38
Buntington
Mouseketeer

Rose & Crown Pub!

The next stop on our DxDP excursion was the Rose and Crown Pub. Grandma, Mom, and I had eaten there on many previous trips to WDW and had always liked it, but DH had never been there. We got to the U.K. pavilion a bit early and had time to wander around the shops and gardens:

Love the scenery!

We were seated in a corner of the dining room with a nice view of the decor. I love the ceilings and the heavy pub tables.

I didn't take pictures of the menu here, but it was exactly the same as the menu on the wdwinfo website. For our appetizers, Grandma and I got the frisee and apple salad. We both thought this was delicious and rated it a 4. The dressing was tart and not too sweet, the craisins were a perfect accompaniment to the slightly bitter lettuce, and the candied nuts and apple pieces added nice flavor and texture. I asked for mine without the stilton cheese because pregnant women are advised to stay away from the moldy stuff , but it was still very good.

Mom ordered the potato and leek soup as her appetizer. She rated this a 5 and said it was delicious. I tried it and thought it was a nice, creamy soup with a very light, mild flavor.

DH ordered the cheese plate. He rated this a 3. He said this was because the stilton cheese was disgusting. He also didn't like any of the candied fruits or jams that were served with the cheese. I tried them and thought they were delicious, so I think his rating is just because he doesn't like those foods in general and probably should have ordered a different appetizer. The cranberry biscotti that came with the appetizer was very tasty and combined perfectly with the sharp cheeses.

For their entrees, DH, Grandma, and Mom all ordered the fish and chips. They all looked identical, so I only took one picture. They serve them with a cute fake newspaper:

Everyone liked the fish and chips and rated them a 4. DH said they were tasty, but no better than other fish and chips he's had at non-Disney restaurants.

For my entree, I got the bangers and mash. I was trying to limit my fish (mercury) intake and I knew I was going to get fish at Narcoossee's. Now, I know pregnant women are also supposed to stay away from nitrates, but I hadn't had anything with nitrates in it since becoming pregnant, so I figured once would be okay. I rated this a 5. The sausage was absolutely divine--perfect flavor, just a little bit spicy. The cabbage was perfectly cooked and the shallot gravy had a nice flavor.

Grandma was too full to order dessert and ordered coffee instead. I didn't ask her to rate it, but she drank it all, so I assume it was fine. Mom and I both got the sticky toffee pudding. We both rated this a 5. It's hard to describe how delicious it was--soft and moist, piping hot, with a sticky, creamy, caramel-toffee sauce on top. Perfect!

DH got the chocolate scotch cake. He rated this a 3 overall. He liked the chocolate cake and the creme anglaise, but was not a fan of the raspberry glaze, which was not mentioned on the menu. The cake was moist and fluffy and the middle part was chocolate mousse.

Overall, we all liked Rose and Crown and would visit again. DH was least impressed and could probably take or leave it. Rose and Crown also has a quick service area where you can order the fish and chips (for a much lower price!), so we might try that next time, since that was the only part of his meal that he really liked. However, I loved my bangers and mash so much that I might insist on the full dining experience again...
Old 08-19-2011, 12:15 PM   #39
klacey1
DIS Veteran

Glad you enjoyed R &C so much! I was so set on the Sunday Roast for our dinner there next Wednesday, but the bangers and mash looks DELISH!
klacey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:47 PM   #40
GoofySon'sMom
DIS Veteran

Love, love, LOVE the Bangers & Mash and Sticky Toffee Pudding! So glad to see a great review as we will be eating there a week from today!
- Mom and Son Going Back -Another 10 days of Deluxe Dining 8/25 - 9/5/2011
Mom and Son Eat the World -11 days of Deluxe Dining ~Mom and Son Eat the World Part 2-With Dad this Time

Offsite 1987, 1988, 1990; Grand Floridian - 1991 (Honeymoon); Port Orleans French Quarter - 1993, 1994; Animal Kingdom Lodge - July 2004 (DS's First Trip); Wilderness Lodge - July 2005; Yacht Club - August 2006; Mom & Son Weekend @ Contemporary Resort - April 2007; Port Orleans Riverside - August 2007; Mom & Son Trip to POP - August 2008; Family trip to POP - December 2009; Disneyland's Paradise Pier Hotel - July 2010; Pop Century - August 2011; AKL/CSR/ASMo - August 2012; Mom & Son Food & Wine Trip to ASMu - November 2012; Mom & Son Trip to Art of Animation - March 2013; Mom & Son Trip to Caribbean Beach - August 2013; Disney Dining Diva Trip at Pop - December 2013
GoofySon'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:49 PM   #41
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

The bangers and mash look delicious. I might get a similar dish at Raglan Road in a few days, since we don't have time to fit in R&C.
DonaldDoleWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 04:01 PM   #42
Buntington
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldDoleWhip View Post
The bangers and mash look delicious. I might get a similar dish at Raglan Road in a few days, since we don't have time to fit in R&C.
Ooh, I can't wait to see your review of Raglan Road. We didn't have time to fit that in on this trip, but I've seen a lot of good reviews and was hoping to try it next time.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:16 PM   #43
Schoolbread
Mouseketeer

I'm a little flip-flopped with you....LOL. I'm from Indiana, now living in MN, but hoping to be in FL someday. I went to IU--lots of friends went to Ball St!! Congrats on the kidlet!

Loving your report. I keep laughing at your DH's taste. We love, love Rose & Crown. Eat there just about every single time. I usually just get a huge bowl of the soup and bread and am a happy camper.....

Waiting eagerly to hear more of your trip. You guys all look so happy!
Schoolbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 05:55 PM   #44
CheezBorger
Earning My Ears

Can't wait to see how this trip finishes. Great reviews so far.
CheezBorger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 11:28 AM   #45
DianeW
Worshipping at the shrine of the corporate Mouse

Location: Too far from Disney...in the beautiful Rocky mountains

Lovely reviews and lovely photos and I am getting a serious complex over my own sorely inadequate food photography skills after being on this website.

Can't wait to read the rest of your reviews!!

DianeW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dxdp dining review

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: