Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2011, 10:56 AM   #46
333disneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymadness View Post
Its all booked now, and as I say, I am doing the split resort option which will save me around $2000 (doing moderate then deluxe, rather than just deluxe) and just going to eat off site. I didnt want it this way, but after numerous phone calls, and people on here confirming what can and can not be done, I was snookered.
Even though it's already booked, you can transfer your booking to a travel agent (maybe a US one?) and they could possibly get you a one-day ticket with DDP all days. It doesn't cost to transfer a reservation, from what I have heard. You could maybe ask first. You never know...it just might work?
333disneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:41 AM   #47
Baltazar
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Its all booked now, and as I say, I am doing the split resort option which will save me around $2000 (doing moderate then deluxe, rather than just deluxe) and just going to eat off site. I didnt want it this way, but after numerous phone calls, and people on here confirming what can and can not be done, I was snookered.
Well, at least you are going, have fun.

If it were me, my vacation would be so complex, I would need a flow chart to explain it.

I would think paying for 2 days of tickets is cheaper than buying food for a week.

I hope you have the most magical vacation of your life.
Past - Port Orleans (Sept 1993), Allstar Sports (Aug 2003), Caribbean Beach (Aug 2004), Allstar Movies (Aug 2005), Pop Century (Aug 2006), Pop Century (Aug 2007), Allstar Music (Aug 2008), Pop Century (Dec 2008), AllStar Movies, (Aug 2009), Pop Century (Aug 2011), Allstar Movies (Aug 2013)
Baltazar is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-17-2011, 12:23 PM   #48
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveladdiction View Post
I agree with original poster... Disney should have a way of taking the whole vacation and making ONE package out of it...
But they don't. That's how it is. Currently the only option is buy more tickets, or don't do a split stay, or don't get the dining plan on one stay, and there is no workaround.

Write them and suggest it if you feel that strongly about it...but I wouldn't count on change, the dining plans have been this way since they were started in 2005.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:07 PM   #49
traveladdiction
Mouseketeer

What about booking all the cheaper dining options on those 5 nights you are staying at Coronado not on the dining plan? For example, we love to eat at the Drive In place at Hollywood Studios but it's significantly cheaper to eat there (usually runs about $60-70 for a family of 4) than it is to eat at, say, Coral Reef (usually runs $130ish for a family of 4)... so it's much better sense to use 1 table credit at Coral Reef... and pay out of pocket for the drive in restaurant at HS. If you lined up all your cheaper choices for that 5 nights you are at Coronado and not on the dining plan, it might work out to the same price you'd be paying for the dining plan. Then, use all your table credits during your stay at the deluxe hotel towards the more expensive options. You might see you don't even need to compromise and eat off-property. Maybe? Just a suggestion!

Past Trips: Villas at Wilderness Lodge~March 2007, Saratoga Springs Resort~September 2007~All Star Sports/Saratoga Springs~October 2008~Pop Century (FREE DINING) Sept 2010~Pop Century (FREE DINING) August/Sept 2011

Next Trip:
Summer 2013!
traveladdiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 02:24 PM   #50
Cafeen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaceraden View Post
I did read the original post. Seems to me that if the poster kept trying to get ahold of CMs (not always the same knowledge or answers), s/he could book it that way instead of farting around with the UK website.
The only options for tickets for her package were the 5?, 7, and 14 day tickets, which is the root of the problem. If a 1 day (even at the same price we pay) were available, it would have been much easier. From my understanding, even the phone CMs did not make this available (and it may not be available depending on the package they were choosing, which may be another issue altogether, if it was a special discount, there may very well be ticket purchase requirements.)

As a note, unless you're going to use the ticket, it does not need the NE option to not expire, they don't start the 14 day expiration countdown until they are first used.

Next Trip: NOT Solo... 10/17-10/27 @ Pop/CBR split. This time with Brother, Sister-in-Law, Nephew, and Mom (well, at least mostly not solo.)
TRs: Learning to NOT Photograph Fireworks Behind Trees (Sept 2012 PTR (no TR... yet?)
New Camera? Sounds like a perfect excuse for another Disney trip! (Sept 2011 PTR/TR)
Cafeen takes it slow in Sept... (Sept 2010) || Daddy for a week... - (Sept 2009)
Cafeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 04:47 PM   #51
Claire&TheBoys
The Queen of the Castle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveladdiction View Post
What about booking all the cheaper dining options on those 5 nights you are staying at Coronado not on the dining plan? For example, we love to eat at the Drive In place at Hollywood Studios but it's significantly cheaper to eat there (usually runs about $60-70 for a family of 4) than it is to eat at, say, Coral Reef (usually runs $130ish for a family of 4)... so it's much better sense to use 1 table credit at Coral Reef... and pay out of pocket for the drive in restaurant at HS. If you lined up all your cheaper choices for that 5 nights you are at Coronado and not on the dining plan, it might work out to the same price you'd be paying for the dining plan. Then, use all your table credits during your stay at the deluxe hotel towards the more expensive options. You might see you don't even need to compromise and eat off-property. Maybe? Just a suggestion!
Dining credits expire at midnight of the night the package ends. If the OP were to be at Coronado for, say, 1/1-1/6, then move to Wilderness Lodge from 1/6-1/21, if the OP only had the Dining Plan for the Coronado stay, the dining credits would expire on 1/6. You can't "save" them.

OP, I see your issue, but like the others say, it is what it is. What's the cost of your 14-day ticket? Could you upgrade it to an Annual Pass for a minimum amount? Then you could book an AP package at WL that was only room+dining.

"You see, it's just like I told you. Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart. And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes. They're shining deep down inside you... because that, my friends, is where the magic lives."

More than 25 trips to Disney World since age 4, including:
Jan 2014: OKW - Feb 2013 (DPHM): CSR - Sept 2012: Pop - Nov 2011: Pop - May 2011: CSR - Jan 2011: All-Star Sports - May 2010: Pop Century - Nov 2009: Wilderness Lodge - May 2009: Shades of Green -
Aug/Sept 2008: CSR - Jan 2008: POFQ - Sept 2007: CSR - Sept 2004: FWCabins - Sept 2003: CSR - Jan 1997: Honeymoon at Westgate - Plus many trips as a child at FW!
Claire&TheBoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:04 PM   #52
hannaconda
Mouseketeer

Why couldn't the OP just book the DDP for his second half of his trip when he arrives at Coronado Springs. He could call and add the DDP. IF i remember, he can add it with in 48 hrs of check in and buy those 2 extra 1 day tickets as well. Is this possible?
hannaconda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:06 PM   #53
madaboutMickey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
At the moment, the 14 day park ticket is discounted to the 7 day park ticket rate,so whichever I choose, im paying the same price.
Maybe I missed something here. If the 7 day ticket is the same price as the discounted 14 day ticket, why not purchase the 7 day for each resort reservation? Or is the stay at the first resort longer than 7 days?
Didn't I read somewhere, that tickets can be picked up ahead of checking in to the resort. Not sure how far in advanc. But could you get your tickets from your second resort early? Anybody else know what I'm talking about. Maybe someone could explain it better.
madaboutMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:49 PM   #54
Cafeen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannaconda View Post
Why couldn't the OP just book the DDP for his second half of his trip when he arrives at Coronado Springs. He could call and add the DDP. IF i remember, he can add it with in 48 hrs of check in and buy those 2 extra 1 day tickets as well. Is this possible?
72 hours for cash reservations (it's 48 for DVC points), but it's another possibility. They may also have to pay an additional change fee though (less often waived at less than a week out, even if upgrading), on top of shelling out the cash for the dining plan right then, on top of the extra cost for tickets right then.

Of course, it may be different based on the terms of the booking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madaboutMickey View Post
Maybe I missed something here. If the 7 day ticket is the same price as the discounted 14 day ticket, why not purchase the 7 day for each resort reservation? Or is the stay at the first resort longer than 7 days?
Didn't I read somewhere, that tickets can be picked up ahead of checking in to the resort. Not sure how far in advanc. But could you get your tickets from your second resort early? Anybody else know what I'm talking about. Maybe someone could explain it better.
If they can get a 14 day for the price of 7, it wouldn't make sense to buy two 7 days for the trip. They'd end up doubling their ticket costs which may not be covered by any additional savings on the dining plan.

For the OP, it may be a good thing though. You can dump your high ticket DDP meals in the first part, then choose some good off-site or non-DDP meals for the 2nd part. And with planning, you can come out cheaper than DDP if paying OOP pretty easily (it's not that much savings, especially for 2012).

Next Trip: NOT Solo... 10/17-10/27 @ Pop/CBR split. This time with Brother, Sister-in-Law, Nephew, and Mom (well, at least mostly not solo.)
TRs: Learning to NOT Photograph Fireworks Behind Trees (Sept 2012 PTR (no TR... yet?)
New Camera? Sounds like a perfect excuse for another Disney trip! (Sept 2011 PTR/TR)
Cafeen takes it slow in Sept... (Sept 2010) || Daddy for a week... - (Sept 2009)
Cafeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 04:36 AM   #55
disneymadness
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by madaboutMickey View Post
14 Day Park Ticket = £440
7 Day Park ticket = £440
5 Day Park ticket = £400

2 x 7 day park tickets = £880

I think I will stick with the 14 day Park ticket (£440). Im not trying to be patronising here, Im simply pointing out that I can not get around this. If I bought another 7 day park ticket, just to get the DDP, I would be paying another £440 plus the cost of 9 nights of the DDP. I dont think that would save me any money.

I have tried every calculation possible, I have even asked if they will sell me 1 day tickets over the phone, and its a "no" if its combined with an online booking. There are significant advantages and discounts to booking online, and by doing it over the phone, you lose that ticket discount.

Trust me, even the kind second lady operator, who was very helpful and spent some time going through the logistics of it was also left scratching her head, and she tried her very best to find a work-around for us but it couldnt be done. She did actually say that she would pass this onto her manager off her own back as she said it shouldnt be like this. For a Disney worker to say this, I at least felt like I wasnt the only one.

Maybe it will change in years to come, just like they have ironed out small problems in other areas.

If the DDP has only been around since 2005, thats still in its infancy really so there is no harm in tweaking things, and to the poster who said "thats just the way it is, so get on with it"....well, thanks for your help, and we are.
disneymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:57 AM   #56
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Make sure you write Disney and let them know that it would be helpful if they would make changes in the way the dining plan is booked for a split stay, especially with the ticket considerations that UK guests have. They're giving a ticket discount, so I don't know if they'll be inclined to allow both the ticket discount and addons to mutliple packages, but the way to change things is let Disney know.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:41 PM   #57
snykymom
Still tagless after all these years

OP, just to let you know, I really did understand your frustration and your point. You are correct; they should let you do what you wanted to do. Unfortunately, the powers that be don't agree -- yet.

Let them know that they're losing money off you. If enough people express this frustration, maybe they'll change things.

snykymom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
book, dining, disney, disney dining plan, plan

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: