Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2011, 02:54 AM   #1
Disneydreamsdancer
Mouseketeer

Our round the world magical trip! TR UPDATED 03/01 WALT DISNEY STUDIOS!!

Welcome to my ptr for our January trip to the land of the mouse! This is our 2nd attempt at this trip, we originally planned to visit in October but due to the Rugby world cup flights in and out of NZ are sky high so with slight sadness we delayed., now let me introdue the small cast!

Me - keelie 25 and training to be an elementary school teacher, i'm also a dancer and dance teacher, currently working on the Rugby World cup opening ceremony

My mom, in my opinion the best mom in the world, she's been my rock my whole life, and introduced me to disneyland when I was just 6.
We both love Disney and can't wait to get back to the parks!

The plan so far....
We're flying from Auckland, NZ back home to London for 2 weeks then flying on to LA, landing friday January 20th, we'll be spending the saturday at seaworld but we have yet to book that, have been to the one in Australia and we loved it, hoping the san diego one is as good if not better!! Then we'll be hitting Disneyland Sun - Wed with the uesday being my birthday!

All flights are booked, am looking at hotels at the moment, can't decide between carousel inn, fairfield inn or somewhere else? I've read so many reviews I can't make my mind up!

I am so excited to be coming back to Disney, it can sometimes seem like an impossible dream when you live down under but now its booked im counting down the days! Hope some of you will stick around for the ride

DLRP Aug '94 - Hotel Sante Fe
DLRP Mar '95 - Hotel Sante Fe . DLRP Jan '01 - Hotel Cheyenne . DLRP Jan '07 - Hotel Sante Fe . DLR Cal Jan '08 - Hilton Anaheim . DLR Cal Dec '08 - Marriott Anaheim . DLR Cal Jan '12 - Fairfield Inn . DLR Cal May '12 - Carousel Inn

Last edited by Disneydreamsdancer; 02-29-2012 at 06:55 PM. Reason: updated
Disneydreamsdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:56 PM   #2
KiwiMouseGirl
Mouseketeer

YAY! Your trip sounds so exciting! Defs keep us posted
We're finding it hard to choose hotels too :/ Ive known all along that accomodation around Disneyland is quite expensive, but when I told my nan some approximate quotes...her face looked like this Were currently deciding weather to choose somewhere cheaper like motel6 maingate and just brave the walk to the parks for the 4 days that we'll be there, or to stay somewhere nice and handy like the carousel. HoJo is my personal first choice!!. So many decisions!!!!! Hope you're having fun planning your awesome trip

- Fellow Kiwi DISer
KiwiMouseGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-18-2011, 01:51 AM   #3
skiingfast
Has had no bacon
Skiing fast to chocolate
But, will he succeed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneydreamsdancer View Post
we'll be spending the saturday at seaworld but we have yet to book that, have been to the one in Australia and we loved it, hoping the san diego one is as good if not better!!
For some reason I think I spoke to somone who went in Oz and it's quite different. If so that will be good.
skiingfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:20 PM   #4
Disneydreamsdancer
Mouseketeer

Thank you for your reply! We loved the Aus seaworld but different is good, as I love visiting new places and parks, going to see if I can save enough to do one of the animal encounters, they look brill!

DLRP Mar '95 - Hotel Sante Fe . DLRP Jan '01 - Hotel Cheyenne . DLRP Jan '07 - Hotel Sante Fe . DLR Cal Jan '08 - Hilton Anaheim . DLR Cal Dec '08 - Marriott Anaheim . DLR Cal Jan '12 - Fairfield Inn . DLR Cal May '12 - Carousel Inn
Old 08-21-2011, 07:02 AM   #5
ArdyG
Earning My Ears

Going to London and then being in Disneyland on your birthday sounds great. As for Seaworld, I've been to both Gold Coast and San Diego. The big difference is of course Shamu and Journey to Atlantis, and I have no doubt you'll love San Diego too. We went in the offseason so it was open 10am - 6pm but we went on a daytrip from Anaheim. This meant we were there from 11am - 5pm. I think if we'd had the extra 2 hours we would have seen everything we wanted to but as it was, we missed a couple of exhibits and the Sealions show which I hear is great. Admittedly we went on Journey to Atlantis at least 10 times but when we go back in January, I'll make sure we're there from 10am - 6pm.

I really appreciated staying within walking distance of Disneyland and enjoyed Hojos in 2009. I confess though that after walking through the Parks all day, walking back to Hojos at night seemed to be really tiresome. Weird I know, if you've been walking all day what's another km, but there were definitely a few nights when I would look with envy at those staying at the Carousal Inn, Best Western and so on.

I confess that a lot of the fun I had was in planning and reading the Disboards so I await with eager anticipation, your further plans.

Last edited by ArdyG; 08-21-2011 at 07:03 AM. Reason: Spelling mistake
ArdyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 03:31 AM   #6
Disneydreamsdancer
Mouseketeer

Thanks ardyG, I think I will definitely book a hotel close to the entrance, the 2 previous times we've been to Cali we've stayed down harbor near the convention center so had to use the ART and I must admit waiting for the bus and the extra journey was tiring after a full day at the parks! We still have yet to book, hopefully in the next month but I think Carousel will be my first choice!

On a happy note, as my birthday falls during our Disney time, mom has said she will put us up in one of the onsite hotels for our last night as a birthday treat! I'm so excited as we've never been able to stay on property at this Disneyland, it'll be lovely to experience plus she's letting me chose which so i'm unsure between the Disneyland hotel and the Grand Californian, am completely stumped which will suit us better? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

My countdown is down to 133 days..yay!

Old 08-22-2011, 03:34 PM   #7
skiingfast
Has had no bacon
Skiing fast to chocolate
But, will he succeed?

If you are concerned with being close, you probably will only want to consider the GCH. You also might enjoy the styling looking at where you stayed when at DLP.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:35 PM   #8
Disneydreamsdancer
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the advice I really like to lok of the GCH but something in me says I should go with classic Disney and stay at the DLH, such a difficult choice! We're now looking at the Fairfield inn & suites for the rest of our stay, which is quite close, im so excited!

Old 08-31-2011, 12:41 AM   #9
skiingfast
Has had no bacon
Skiing fast to chocolate
But, will he succeed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneydreamsdancer View Post
Thanks for the advice I really like to lok of the GCH but something in me says I should go with classic Disney and stay at the DLH, such a difficult choice! We're now looking at the Fairfield inn & suites for the rest of our stay, which is quite close, im so excited!
Hmm, if you can, stay onsite over the weekend so you can use the MMs more often. But consider that with staying onsite to finish the trip on a high note.

DLH isn't too close even though onsite, even a little further than the Fairfield. But with it's great rehab and rethemeing does compare well to the GCH and it is different than your other Disney stays. A viable option to consider.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:14 AM   #10
Disneydreamsdancer
Mouseketeer

Hi everyone I have an update to make...finally!

Tonight we booked in Fairfield inn marriott for the duration of our stay!!! I'm so happy to finally have a hotel booked, it seems to have been a long time coming!

Life has been so busy since we booked the flights, New Zealand is hosting the Rugby World Cup at the moment and I was a dancer in the opening ceremony so we had so much going on I wasn't able to concentrate on making vaction plans, now I can relax a little We have never stayed at this particular marriott before but I looked on tripadvisor and the reviews seemed favorable and the price was good, anyone had experience staying here?

Also good news on the Disney front, I have a good friend who is a cast member, he has gotten me hopper passes and promises to take me to the CompanyD store (I feel as excited as the dancing banana!) I love Disney shopping, just hope I can contain myself as we only get 20kgs baggage on Qantas!

Have a great week!

Old 11-16-2011, 01:29 AM   #11
Disneydreamsdancer
Mouseketeer

Time for a quick update now we have almost all our plans set!

Day 1 20/1

Fly from London to Los Angeles landing at LAX at 1.30pm. Get the disneyland express to the Hotel, Marriott fiarfield inn & suites and check in. Meet my friend and go visit the companyD store, then hang out, early night.

Day 2 21/1

Day trip from Anaheim to Seaworld. Never been to this park before, have visitied seaworld in gold coast australia, hoping they are similar as we had lots of fun there!

Day 3 22/1

First day in the parks, hopping between Disneyland and DCA, making sure I ride IASW, columbia, GRR and soarin as these all close for refurb the next day. Also making sure I see fantasmic! as this is the only day its running during our visit. I am hoping to see it from the hungry bear restuarant this time for a onstage/backstage type view. Being a performer I love all the backstage stuff/tech details! I can geek out whilst having a hot cocoa!

Day 4 23/1

Day spent park hopping, hours 10-8pm.

Day 5 24/1

MY BIRTHDAY! Day spent mostly in DL but moving to DCA in evening to watch WOC and possibly do the WOC dinner at Ariels.

Day 6 25/1

Last day, check out of hotel & store luggage, spend day in parks until approx 6pm. Travel back to LAX on the disneyland express to check in for our 11.25pm flight back to New Zealand

13 hours 25mins later

Friday January 27th - land back in New Zealand!! I love how we lose a whole day flying home!

So just a few plans left to be finalised, where to eat on my birthday being the main one. I'm so excited I keep reading all your tips on here everyday, hoping to learn something new!

Old 12-28-2011, 04:32 PM   #12
KiwiMouseGirl
Mouseketeer

Sounds exciting! I know what you mean with having the hotel booked, it definately gives a magical feeling knowing that your going for sure :O Im soo jealous! I would love to be able to go to the companyD store!!! :D loosing a day when flying home is going to be annoying -.- I dont want to have to justify taking a days annual leave because of time zones haha!!
KiwiMouseGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 06:25 PM   #13
Disneydreamsdancer
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiMouseGirl View Post
Sounds exciting! I know what you mean with having the hotel booked, it definately gives a magical feeling knowing that your going for sure :O Im soo jealous! I would love to be able to go to the companyD store!!! :D loosing a day when flying home is going to be annoying -.- I dont want to have to justify taking a days annual leave because of time zones haha!!
Thank you kiwimousegirl! I'm super duper excited now! This will be probably the last plans update/change before we leave!

We will be visiting the UK for nearly 2 weeks before hitting the USA to visit family so technically we leave in just 10days. There have been so many plans to finalise and things to book, unfortunately I've been bed-ridden for the last 2 weeks due to bad oral surgery. I had wisdom teeth out that got very infected and refused to clot, 2 lots of antibiotics and a trip to white cross later and i'm starting to be on the mend!

During our time back home in the UK we will be seeing Les Miserables and Phantom of the Opera in London (musical theatre is my love) and spending a week in Wiltshire with family. Then....we fly on to Disney!

Seaworld has been booked, very much looking forward to seeing that park, just maybe not the drive to San Diego

I managed to score tickets to see the tapping of The Big Bang Theory at the Warner bros studios on the day of my birthday so we will be hitting Hollywood that day rather than the parks. I was hesitant to be anywhere other than Disneyland on my actual birthday but couldn't pass up the opportunity...i'm a big bang geek!

Also receieved TTMMTT tickets from a wonderful disboard member so wil be checking that out on the 23/1!

Have already typed up the itinerary and have started packing, having gotten half way through I came back to find my kitten stubornly asleep on my carry on... I will miss her when we're away!

Hope everyone had a great Christmas!

Old 12-28-2011, 07:27 PM   #14
Dizzy4DL
Dole Whip and a jalapeno pretzel? Don't mind if I do...

Oh my gosh!! I am watching The Big Bang Theory on TBS right now!
Say hi to my favorite nerd (Sheldon) for me!

Disneyland '88, '93, Feb. '10, Jan. '11, Feb. '12, Jan. '13

Disney World - Pop Century April '14
Dizzy4DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:11 PM   #15
skiingfast
Has had no bacon
Skiing fast to chocolate
But, will he succeed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy4DL View Post
Oh my gosh!! I am watching The Big Bang Theory on TBS right now!
Seeing a taping of it sounds like a lot of fun!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: