Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2011, 07:10 PM   #256
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Radiator Springs Reality Continues with the Construction Site

Next up was Kathy Megan who is sort of in charge of all the construction for Carsland. They started working on this project two years ago and have a little less than a year until opening day.

Route 66 runs directly down the middle of Carsland and this is a shot looking right down Route 66

This will be Lizzy’s Curio Shop (which was mentioned earlier)

Throughout Carsland there will be all sorts of little car details on the building construction.

The week of the Expo they had placed this Wingnut atop one of the buildings. There will also be an Air Filter that will go with it too. She mentioned one of the amusing things about this project was that she got to use the word wingnut more than she probably ever would again in her life!

So in Luigi’s tire shop, the brand of tires that he will be selling are “Fettucine” brand tires. The Whitewalls will be called Alfredo, the small ones are Lattes and the dark ones will be Espresso. So here is one of the ride vehicles. The fill stems will allow you to maneuver the tire.

In this picture, right in front of the white truck is where Luigi’s “Tower of Tires” will be located.

As I look at my notes, I’m a little confused now because this picture too has a white truck in it! However I think the last one is a building more suited towards a ride. I believe that this one is Ramon’s. In the movie they modeled it after a place in Shamrock Texas. I had some pictures (they showed us pictures, but I think I deleted them because they were even more blurry than some of these I’ve posted. However the place in Texas is not getting visitors constantly who are asking if their place is "Ramon's"!

This is Radiator Cap Mountain with the Cadillac Fin Peaks in the background. Soon the scaffolding will be coming down. The peaks are in order by year, just like at the Cadillac Ranch.

Here are some shots of the Radiator Springs Racers queue, ride area.

I believe that this is the queue building

You’ll pass underneath the track when you are in the queue

The banks are intense, and if you look closely, you can see that there are two tracks here.

At the end of the ride you will pass through “Taillight Caverns”.

Alison ~~~~ She said it wouldn't be Boring! | Our Disney Dream Home|Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine |Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:21 PM   #257
Leshaface
DIS Veteran

Can't not WAIT till Cars Land opens up! That will be so exciting. Been waiting for DCA to get some new, fun stuff.

So the max speed will be 40? Doesn't Test Track get up to 60 mph? Why can't they do that speed?!

DLR: Yearly trips from 1991-2006, AP holder Jan 06 (monthly trips thru May 2008), Nov 08 DLH-Dreams, Jan 09 GCH, June 09 DLH-Magic, June 09 Desert Inn, Oct 09 Tropicana, Mar 10 GCH, May 10 Castle Inn, Nov 10 GCH, Mar 11 DLH, Nov 11 GCH, Mar 12 PPH, Apr 12 PPH, July 12 PPH, Nov 12 DLH, May 13 GCH, July 14 VGC, Oct 14 CCI
WDW : June 2-8, 2008 - Pop Century, January 20-28, 2010 - CSR, Dec 8-15, 2012 AKV/BWV, Oct 5-11, 2013 SSR/AKV/BLT
DCL: Dream June 2011, Wonder Dec 2011

Starting the New Year off right!...at WDW January 2015 PTR
Food and Wine? Sounds Divine! Oct 2013 TROur First WDW Trip as Parents - December 2012
Mexican Riviera Cruise with WONDERful Souvenir in the Works!Dream CAME True! June 21-26, 2011 TR
Food, Fun, and Frivolity: 8 Funtabulous days
Ugh, what were we thinking?! 9 days Deluxe Dining, The Crow's fly to Disneyworld! Jan 20-28, 2010 Pre-TR, DLR - The Proposal, Bouncers, and a Celebrity! June 3-6
Leshaface is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-12-2011, 07:34 PM   #258
franandaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshaface View Post
Can't not WAIT till Cars Land opens up! That will be so exciting. Been waiting for DCA to get some new, fun stuff.

So the max speed will be 40? Doesn't Test Track get up to 60 mph? Why can't they do that speed?!
I think they were saying that Test Track doesn't go for very long, and this will be more sustained, plus with the way that it is banked, it will feel much faster.
Alison ~~~~ She said it wouldn't be Boring! | Our Disney Dream Home|Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine |Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

Old 09-13-2011, 12:00 AM   #259
WDWJonasGirl
Mouseketeer/Directioner

Love it Alison!!

Kaitlin: Lover of 5 Seconds of Summer, One Direction, Jonas, and Concerts
WDW: 5/03, 4/06, 12/06, 7/09, 8/10, 6/14, 7/14 DLR: Too Many To Count DCL: 1/07, 7/09, 8/11, 8/12, 6/14 DLP: 6/13
WDWJonasGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 12:54 AM   #260
ACDSNY

No freaking out allowed
Just flying by

I leave for a week to visit family in Oregon and I'm a million pages behind. So sorry to hear about your car, but I'm glad you're all OK.

The auction prices were scary! Love the Peter Pan vehicle and the Ghosts.

My nieces are going to love the Dream, their parents are doomed to have to take the whole family on the Dream or Fantasy after they get a taste of it. The pictures look awesome. Less than 2 months to go, I'm so ready for this trip.

We've decided to use up a SWA credit over the Columbus Day weekend and fly to Las Vegas and drive out to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. That will cross another item off the bucket list.

D
isneyland - Too many to count! Last DL trip: May 2013 WDW - Nov 2011, Nov 2009, May 2007, Oct 2006, July 2006, Oct 2005, Oct 2003, Oct 2000
DCL - S. Caribbean Oct 2014 Magic, E. Caribbean Nov 2013 Fantasy, Mexican Riviera Mar 2012 Wonder, Bahamas B2B Nov 2011 Dream, Panama Canal Jan 2011 Wonder, Bahamas Nov 2009 Wonder
Princess - Panama Canal Jan 2014, Pacific Coast May 2006, Alaska Sep 2004, Mar 1999 Australia/New Zealand
Big Island - May 2013 Kauai - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012, Feb 2010, Oct 2008 Maui - Jan & Nov 2012 Oahu Aulani - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012
ACDSNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:37 AM   #261
skiingfast
Has had no bacon
Skiing fast to chocolate
But, will he succeed?

Wow tons of pictures. Did you ever put your camera down or just keep shooting the whole time?
skiingfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:08 AM   #262
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Alison - another GREAT update. Carsland looks like it will be brilliant and finally transform DCA to a destination!

Can't wait to see it in real life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFirefly View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFirefly View Post
Shut up

(and yes, I was on the wrong thread)

That's what you get for doing the laundry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiingfast View Post
Wow tons of pictures. Did you ever put your camera down or just keep shooting the whole time?
She must have put the camera down in between taking notes.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:51 PM   #263
Wonder2008
Mouseketeer

Thank you for all of those pictures of Cars Land. It looks huge, and I really hope I can go to California when all of this opens.

Robert

D23 Gold Charter Member
Walt Disney World Annual Passholder
Disneyland: Aug 2006, Jul 2007, Jun 2009, Dec 2013
Disney Wonder: Jul 2008, May 2009
Disney Dream: May 2011
Disney Magic: May 2014
Walt Disney World: I lost count!
Wonder2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 05:15 PM   #264
franandaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWJonasGirl View Post
Love it Alison!!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACDSNY View Post
I leave for a week to visit family in Oregon and I'm a million pages behind. So sorry to hear about your car, but I'm glad you're all OK.

The auction prices were scary! Love the Peter Pan vehicle and the Ghosts.

My nieces are going to love the Dream, their parents are doomed to have to take the whole family on the Dream or Fantasy after they get a taste of it. The pictures look awesome. Less than 2 months to go, I'm so ready for this trip.

We've decided to use up a SWA credit over the Columbus Day weekend and fly to Las Vegas and drive out to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. That will cross another item off the bucket list.
You are going to love your trips! That sounds like so much fun! We'll have to say "hi" at the Poly before you set sail, how exciting! And to get to the Grand Canyon! I've been there, but it was a bus tour and we only stopped for a few minutes. I'd like to get back and stay awhile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiingfast View Post
This! \/ \/ \/

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Ali
She must have put the camera down in between taking notes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Alison - another GREAT update. Carsland looks like it will be brilliant and finally transform DCA to a destination!

Can't wait to see it in real life.
I hope that it starts to soft open (preferrably on days when the So Cal passholders are blocked) so that I can sneak in before the official opening. Next summer DCA is going to be mobbed. Perhaps I can get on Star Tours then!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonder2008 View Post
Thank you for all of those pictures of Cars Land. It looks huge, and I really hope I can go to California when all of this opens.

Robert
It's going to be a great addition to DCA! Hopefully the new Buena Vista Street will be just as cool!

Old 09-13-2011, 05:24 PM   #265
dgbg100106

It is pretty unique... Just like me
Mommy, please make the mean witch stop talking to me

DH and I will have to go back to DL soon. It has been years. Flights are just so cheap for us to WDW.

73 Cont, 74 Poly, 91 Swan, 02 CBR, 05 BWV, 09 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 10 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 11 BWV, 11 BCV (F&WF)

2013 Cruising adventures
3rd times a Charm, F&WF2011 Celebrating Graduations at the world2010 F&WF, AKV with Sunrise Safari and 7 nights on Cruise
dgbg100106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 05:25 PM   #266
franandaj

Next up was Jennifer Mock

Her area of specialty was landscaping. If you have even paid attention at a Disney park, you know how much thought and care that they put into the landscaping of an area. There were a few challenges that they had to face. While Anaheim is a pretty dry climate, they are trying to depict an area with an even more dry climate. The plants have to be believable as desert plants, but they also need to be able to thrive in Southern California.

The other thing that they tried to do was really make sure that each character’s home / shop really reflected that character. Tow Mader’s yard needs to be a mess. Also they wanted to provide a lot of shaded areas for the guests, but still needed the place to feel like Radiator Springs, so they couldn’t really do it with big shady trees.

Sarge has flat top shrubs, and there is an olive tree from the Disneyland Hotel which is being groomed to sit outside his place.

This is Lizzy’s Place, but I missed whatever they said about it in my notes.

Flo’s is inspired by Palm Springs.

I don’t remember (nor did I catch it in my notes), but this is an example of the care and thought that they put into the different textures of all the plants that they used in each of the various venues.

Luigi’s is like an Italian Garden, notice the tire related topiaries and accents

Earlier I mentioned about making Anaheim a Desert. They talked quite a bit about this and they purchased over 500 different cacti to help accomplish this feat. Evidently this poor gal went all over So Cal visiting various specialty nurseries. She went from Santa Paula to Sylmar and all sorts of other places looking for just the right plant life. This is mainly for the plants that will be found on the base of Carsland.

Ornament Valley will have a slightly different feel. They decided on Conifers for this region of the new land.

Next up was Roger Gould who is a Pixar Animator

The part of the presentation that he covered was the story, the characters and how this all fits into this new place called Carsland. This slide is really blurry, but I think I can make sense of it for you. The deal is that to make each ride believable you have to have a valid story. This timeline represents the storyline of Cars. On the far left we have the first movie, I guess there was a Cars 1½ and then most recently Cars 2 came out. Evidently most of Carsland takes place after the 2nd movie. However, the Radiator Springs Racers takes place in the first movie.

Now I haven’t seen the second movie, and they gave us a spoiler in the presentation letting us know about something I didn’t, that changes Carsland itself and it’s reality. With some of the upcoming slides, I’ll explain more about the stuff that was created specifically for Carsland that has not been explained through any of the movies.

So you’ve seen Flo’s place before, but as a TS location, they needed more space for people to eat, as shown here there is only room for cars.

So Radiator Springs has gotten busy and business has gotten better, so there has been an add on to the building to accommodate all the overflow customers.

And something that many of us might not know, but Flo was in a “girl band” back in the day.

I didn’t catch a lot about Ramon’s back story, but here are some of the pictures of his body shop

My slide is too blurry, but the paint system in his shop is the “World o Color” paint system

Luigi has a picture of his parents on the wall of his shop

There is even a picture of his beloved Popemobile

Old 09-13-2011, 05:41 PM   #267
franandaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgbg100106 View Post
DH and I will have to go back to DL soon. It has been years. Flights are just so cheap for us to WDW.
It's kind of the opposite for us since we don't even have to fly, but I would reccomend planning a visit in two years or so. Give Carsland a bit to settle down. Or at least wait until fall of next year, but we wouldn't want it to cut into your F&W trips!

Especially since next year, I'll have to live vicariously through everyone else's reports.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:48 PM   #268
franandaj

[Radiator Springs Reality Wrap Up]

So in researching for Carsland they traveled along Route 66, and they hired this guy to take them around to all the hot spots. This market pictured here, might be the place that everyone stops at to ask if it is Ramon’s place. This thing I found most amusing was in the lower right hand photo, the guy is obviously talking about and pointing at something, but if you notice none of the imagineers are paying any attention to him!

This next shot inspired the loading area for Radiator Springs Racers

This is a bad picture, but you remember Stanley who had a monument in the town? He founded Radiator Springs. He found the spring, and founded the town nearby. He decided to stay and sell water and radiator caps to cars in need. He had a gimmick that if he didn’t have the cap, it was Free!

I think this was the area where the spring was supposedly located.

Here is where cars can get their water (this will all be part of the queue).

This is another one of the buildings that will be in the queue, I believe it is the radiator cap display

Next up was the Animatronics that you will find throughout Carsland

Of Course you would expect Lightning McQueen and Mader to be Present in Carsland

And you remember these loveable guys

There will be dozens of Audio Animatronic figures throughout Carsland, and the people at Imagineering are busily engaged in creating all of them.

Mac has already been installed in the queue for RSR and he will talk to you (I imagine similar to Mr Potato Head) as you travel through the line.

I’m guessing that Lightning McQueen will also be in the queue.

Now this was the end of the Radiator Springs Reality part of the presentation, but it’s sure nice to be John Lasseter. Evidently back in 1978 (and either a year before or after) he worked as a skipper on the Jungle Cruise. This is a period in his life for which he has no photos, so he is making an appeal out there to anyone who may have a photo of him from that time in his youth. If someone is able to provide a picture of John as the skipper on a Jungle Cruise boat, he will bring that person to the opening day ceremonies at Carsland. So those of you who visited Disneyland in that year, check your pictures! You never know, you could be going to the opening ceremonies.

This photo was taken of him several years ago, and he pointed out that this was not the same uniform that he wore when we was originally a skipper!

So that wraps up the Radiator Springs Reality portion of the Expo. One more seminar left until it’s over!

Old 09-13-2011, 06:10 PM   #269
dgbg100106

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
It's kind of the opposite for us since we don't even have to fly, but I would reccomend planning a visit in two years or so. Give Carsland a bit to settle down. Or at least wait until fall of next year, but we wouldn't want it to cut into your F&W trips!

Especially since next year, I'll have to live vicariously through everyone else's reports.
I am so behind on posting my PTR... next on my list of things to catch up on!

73 Cont, 74 Poly, 91 Swan, 02 CBR, 05 BWV, 09 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 10 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 11 BWV, 11 BCV (F&WF)

2013 Cruising adventures
3rd times a Charm, F&WF2011 Celebrating Graduations at the world2010 F&WF, AKV with Sunrise Safari and 7 nights on Cruise
Old 09-13-2011, 06:11 PM   #270
dgbg100106

Alison, I am so jealous you got a scrollie....

2013 Cruising adventures

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: