Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2011, 08:26 PM   #181
kikiq
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
These are FREAKIN’ Pez dispensers people! Get a grip!
Sure glad I didn't have more than a small sip of ice tea in my mouth when I read that. Was thinking the very exact thing

kikiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:27 PM   #182
StephaniexMarie
Have a zip a dee doo dah day!

That Four Characters painting is pretty cute, but I can't get over the Pez dispensers.
Port Orleans Riverside (3/2012, 11/2012)
Polynesian Resort (11/2011, 7/2012, 3/2013)
Wilderness Lodge (7/2012)
Art of Animation (3/2013, 11/2013)
Saratoga Springs (7/2013)
Coronado Springs (11/2013, 1/2014)

Follow me on Instagram - stephaniexmarie
StephaniexMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-31-2011, 05:19 AM   #183
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Yes, yes.. $700 for Pez dispensers might classify as a little OTT...but no one has asked the burning question........

...the really, really obvious burning question.....

What were you and Fran going to do with that cannon???????

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:46 AM   #184
nunzia
You can't top pigs with pigs, but you CAN top Toys with Toys

We talked to some folks after the auction and were told that the people running the auction this year were very pushy and aggressive and in your face and made it an uncomfortable experience for many, with some bidders being pushed to bid higher than they maybe wanted. Did you notice this?
Old 08-31-2011, 02:19 PM   #185
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizNee Luver View Post
Oh my, my, my......$700 for 2 Pez candy dispensers.....lol Of course the Swarovski crystals are pretty!!!

Only $10000 donated to UNICEF....that's actually a bit disappointing. Does Disney really need the proceeds from the auction???

Enjoy your time away....we'll be patiently waiting for your return!!!
I guess the crystals are valuable, but you'd think they could have thought of something a little less tacky to put them on. So much for enjoying my time away! We had a blowout or something just past the grapevine exit at 11PM last night. Not only did we sit by the side of the freeway for an hour waiting fir a tow truck, we never made it to our intended hotel. We're in a rental car right now and the damage to our car was minimal. It's waiting for us back in Bakersfield while we wrap up our business an hour North of there!

Good Times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiingfast View Post
When the bid on the tour with Alice Davis was finally accepted did she aknowledge the bidder with a wave or anything?

I guess I'm going to have to be patient for your return, but I did enjoy seeing a few more items.
She was acknowledged during the bidding and gsve a wave to the crowd. After the auction she had a line of people wanting to talk to her and I assume get her autograph.
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!
franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:29 PM   #186
Leshaface
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I guess the crystals are valuable, but you'd think they could have thought of something a little less tacky to put them on. So much for enjoying my time away! We had a blowout or something just past the grapevine exit at 11PM last night. Not only did we sit by the side of the freeway for an hour waiting fir a tow truck, we never made it to our intended hotel. We're in a rental car right now and the damage to our car was minimal. It's waiting for us back in Bakersfield while we wrap up our business an hour North of there!

Good Times.
OH NO!!! That's the ONE thing i'm always afraid of when traveling through the grapevine...i'm even more scared in the winter at nighttime.

DLR: Yearly trips from 1991-2006, AP holder Jan 06 (monthly trips thru May 2008), Nov 08 DLH-Dreams, Jan 09 GCH, June 09 DLH-Magic, June 09 Desert Inn, Oct 09 Tropicana, Mar 10 GCH, May 10 Castle Inn, Nov 10 GCH, Mar 11 DLH, Nov 11 GCH, Mar 12 PPH, Apr 12 PPH, July 12 PPH, Nov 12 DLH, May 13 GCH, July 14 VGC
WDW : June 2-8, 2008 - Pop Century, January 20-28, 2010 - CSR, Dec 8-15, 2012 AKV/BWV, Oct 5-11, 2013 SSR/AKV/BLT
DCL: Dream June 2011, Wonder Dec 2011

Food and Wine? Sounds Divine! Oct 2013 TR
Our First WDW Trip as Parents - December 2012
Mexican Riviera Cruise with WONDERful Souvenir in the Works!Dream CAME True! June 21-26, 2011 TR
Food, Fun, and Frivolity: 8 Funtabulous days
Ugh, what were we thinking?! 9 days Deluxe Dining, The Crow's fly to Disneyworld! Jan 20-28, 2010 Pre-TR, DLR - The Proposal, Bouncers, and a Celebrity! June 3-6
Leshaface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:49 PM   #187
franandaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikiq View Post
Sure glad I didn't have more than a small sip of ice tea in my mouth when I read that. Was thinking the very exact thing
That's funny! It just seemed so silly to me to put crystal heads on something made of plastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephaniexMarie View Post
That Four Characters painting is pretty cute, but I can't get over the Pez dispensers.
Some of the art pieces were really nice, they just went up too high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Yes, yes.. $700 for Pez dispensers might classify as a little OTT...but no one has asked the burning question........

Put it with the big figs of the Red Head, the Auctioneer, the Black Pearl, the Drunk Pirate sleeping with the pigs, the Skeleton Helmsman (we actually ended up with two of those as well as the Red Head), and the set of keys used as a prop in the first movie. . What else would we do with it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunzia View Post
We talked to some folks after the auction and were told that the people running the auction this year were very pushy and aggressive and in your face and made it an uncomfortable experience for many, with some bidders being pushed to bid higher than they maybe wanted. Did you notice this?
I haven't covered it yet here because the gentleman on our side of the room (and the other gentleman on the opposite side, as far as I could tell) were fairly polite towards the bidders. I'll have more in a couple items because I want to tell the stories in context. However, I think the word "thieves" could be considered an accurate description of the way that these individuals coerced folks to part with their money. However Fran disagrees with me and says that is how auctions are done, the people are there to spend money. It's not like they ate going to get a bargain at a Disney auction!
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

Last edited by franandaj; 08-31-2011 at 02:56 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:53 PM   #188
franandaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshaface View Post
OH NO!!! That's the ONE thing i'm always afraid of when traveling through the grapevine...i'm even more scared in the winter at nighttime.
With all the construction going on and the road all torn up something just whipped up under the car and damaged the tire as well as the wheel well covering. It's sort of just hanging there now.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:37 PM   #189
Happy 2 B Me
I have ears --just not Disney Ears.

My gosh having a tire blow out has been a long time fear of mine. I did have one of the inside dual tires blow out once. That was frightening. Even having another tire to drive to nearest place to get it fixed was not fun.

So glad I never had a front tire blow.

I have to say that grapevine makes me nervous-- going up -going down-- not sure why. Glad you got help pretty quick.

Now back to my lurking

Patty

Oh maybe so spendy as there was pez in the pez
Happy 2 B Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 04:32 PM   #190
franandaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy 2 B Me View Post
My gosh having a tire blow out has been a long time fear of mine. I did have one of the inside dual tires blow out once. That was frightening. Even having another tire to drive to nearest place to get it fixed was not fun.

So glad I never had a front tire blow.

I have to say that grapevine makes me nervous-- going up -going down-- not sure why. Glad you got help pretty quick.

Now back to my lurking

Patty

Oh maybe so spendy as there was pez in the pez
It was scary, but luckily everything went fine. I'm mostly the passenger, but when I drive I stop at the bottom of the hill, or take over once we're down the other side. I don't like driving such a steep grade!

And the pez dispensers, they had a disclaimer in the auction program (candy not included).
Old 08-31-2011, 04:38 PM   #191
nunzia
You can't top pigs with pigs, but you CAN top Toys with Toys

Quote:
It was scary, but luckily everything went fine. I'm mostly the passenger, but when I drive I stop at the bottom of the hill, or take over once we're down the other side. I don't like driving such a steep grade!

And the pez dispensers, they had a disclaimer in the auction program (candy not included).
LOL!!! Well..THAT should have made the selling price much lower!
My DD had a bowout and flipped..scary indeed...her friend from Vegas was visiting and had to wear a neck brace for awhile, but nothing serious, luckily...bet her folks thought bieng in the middle of nowhere was safer than Vegas..not so much.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:33 PM   #192
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Quote:
That's funny! It just seemed so silly to me to put crystal heads on something made of plastic.

Some of the art pieces were really nice, they just went up too high.

Put it with the big figs of the Red Head, the Auctioneer, the Black Pearl, the Drunk Pirate sleeping with the pigs, the Skeleton Helmsman (we actually ended up with two of those as well as the Red Head), and the set of keys used as a prop in the first movie. . What else would we do with it?

Of course! So obvious now! Silly me!

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:48 PM   #193
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

LOL I am really enjoying this thread. I thought I was extravagant when I bought a DCL Alaska sweat shirt that I really didn't need.

I'll go to bed grinning about the Pez Dispensers!

TK
tksbaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:19 AM   #194
Hawleys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post

Quote:

Haha! I laughed out loud over this little exchange. And PrincessInOz, I was thinking exactly the same question when I read the cannon post. I see a Pirate-themed bedroom in the future. Just what you need in your bedroom, A, strange men! (JK, of course).

I work for a non-profit foundation and we hold several auctions a year. It is the auctioneer's job to encourage people to spend money, whether it is a charity auction or not. A good auctioneer gets people to raise the paddle and hopefully, have fun doing it. High pressure tactics are the norm. At our events, if there are two high bidders competing for a single item and the bidding has stalled, the auctioneer will sometimes miraculously find a second, duplicate item and offer it to BOTH bidders. Moral of the story, if you can't afford it, don't raise your paddle!

Blowouts are scary. Glad you two were safe.
Hawleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:39 PM   #195
DizneyDogs
Mouseketeer
Scrapbooking Diva

Quote:
Sounds reasonable to me! I am enjoying reading your report and esp the auction recap! I have those big figs too! Except I didn't know there was one of the Drunk Pirate sleeping with the pigs - do you have a picture?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: