Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2011, 08:37 PM   #151
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

We arrived for the preshow and they split us up into six different groups. Sorcerer’s with bidding privileges, Premiere with bidding, General Attendees with bidding. In another room people were divided based on the same criteria, but they had no bidding privileges. They wanted to make sure everyone who paid $45pp to bid got into the room before they let others in. Turns out there was nothing to worry about. The room was never completely full.

The preshow was by Performance Artist David Garibaldi. His particular skill is painting pictures in a matter of minutes in front of an audience while upbeat music is playing. You’ll see a blur in most of these pictures and those blurs are the artist as he dances around dipping his paint brushes, and paints the blank canvas. Each of the pictures that I show you were was painted in about 10-12 minutes if not less. I wasn’t timing him, but he was allotted 30 minutes for the whole Preshow and he did three paintings.

See how many pictures before you can name the character.

Here is the second painting

I’ll continue when I can with the last picture and the Auction.
Alison ~~~~ A Haunting, plundering, and Fiesta Caliente | Our Disney Dream Home|Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine |Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:20 PM   #152
ACDSNY

No freaking out allowed
Just flying by

Whew! I had quite a few pages to catch up on. Loving all the info and pictrues. I think I'd be on sensory overload too after a day or two.

Disneyland - Too many to count! Last DL trip: May 2013 WDW - Nov 2011, Nov 2009, May 2007, Oct 2006, July 2006, Oct 2005, Oct 2003, Oct 2000
DCL - S. Caribbean Oct 2014 Magic, E. Caribbean Nov 2013 Fantasy, Mexican Riviera Mar 2012 Wonder, Bahamas B2B Nov 2011 Dream, Panama Canal Jan 2011 Wonder, Bahamas Nov 2009 Wonder
Princess - Panama Canal Jan 2014, Pacific Coast May 2006, Alaska Sep 2004, Mar 1999 Australia/New Zealand
Big Island - May 2013 Kauai - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012, Feb 2010, Oct 2008 Maui - Jan & Nov 2012 Oahu Aulani - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012
ACDSNY is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-26-2011, 10:49 PM   #153
nunzia
You can't top pigs with pigs, but you CAN top Toys with Toys

WOW!! Caught up! You do such good in depth reports..I had forgotten so many things already that you mentioned and refreshed my memory. That parks pavillion opening got me a bit dizzy..I flashbacked to being 8 years old and almost passing out at CircleVision..ugh..but once inside it was so cool..Kevin Rafferty was talking to people about the Carsland figures..I'm pretty shy so just evesdropped...
You forgot to mention that Dick VanDyke is engaged to the assistant. I am listening to his autobiography and his long time companion (after his long time wife) had passed away while he was writing the book, so glad he has found happiness.
That lounge was a great reprive..I never saw you but did give my massage coupon to a Concierge CM to pass on so hope someone enjoyed it.
Old 08-27-2011, 04:42 PM   #154
franandaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
"Flashing" or not....thanks for all those pics on Pirates. And I'm with you....peace and quiet in a lounge with no one there (and free food, 'flashy' or not ) is preferable to a throng of people.

It was a nice place to sneak into, we would grab waters, sodas, I'd have a cup of coffee or so and get as much cheese as I could manage without being tacky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACDSNY View Post
Whew! I had quite a few pages to catch up on. Loving all the info and pictrues. I think I'd be on sensory overload too after a day or two.
Yeah, When you go 14 hours in a day (before dinner at DTD) get up in five/six hours, you get a bit punchy the next day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunzia View Post
WOW!! Caught up! You do such good in depth reports..I had forgotten so many things already that you mentioned and refreshed my memory. That parks pavillion opening got me a bit dizzy..I flashbacked to being 8 years old and almost passing out at CircleVision..ugh..but once inside it was so cool..Kevin Rafferty was talking to people about the Carsland figures..I'm pretty shy so just evesdropped...
You forgot to mention that Dick VanDyke is engaged to the assistant. I am listening to his autobiography and his long time companion (after his long time wife) had passed away while he was writing the book, so glad he has found happiness.
That lounge was a great reprive..I never saw you but did give my massage coupon to a Concierge CM to pass on so hope someone enjoyed it.
I never even saw the massage thing, I would have PAID, if they were in there when I was relaxing, boy would I have loved that. I looked for you. I checked the name of every Sorcerer and never saw one named Nancy, I think you said that was your name on a DVC thread.

I probably subconsciously "missed" that DVD was engaged to his assistant. I'm glad for him that he has happiness.
Alison ~~~~ A Haunting, plundering, and Fiesta Caliente | Our Disney Dream Home|Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine |Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

Old 08-27-2011, 05:07 PM   #155
Leshaface
DIS Veteran

Omgosh how neat!

I started tripping out for a sec, I was like, "Wait, wasn't that a mouse, now it's dumbo!?" CRAZY cool!

DLR: Yearly trips from 1991-2006, AP holder Jan 06 (monthly trips thru May 2008), Nov 08 DLH-Dreams, Jan 09 GCH, June 09 DLH-Magic, June 09 Desert Inn, Oct 09 Tropicana, Mar 10 GCH, May 10 Castle Inn, Nov 10 GCH, Mar 11 DLH, Nov 11 GCH, Mar 12 PPH, Apr 12 PPH, July 12 PPH, Nov 12 DLH, May 13 GCH, July 14 VGC
WDW : June 2-8, 2008 - Pop Century, January 20-28, 2010 - CSR, Dec 8-15, 2012 AKV/BWV, Oct 5-11, 2013 SSR/AKV/BLT
DCL: Dream June 2011, Wonder Dec 2011

Food and Wine? Sounds Divine! Oct 2013 TR
Our First WDW Trip as Parents - December 2012
Mexican Riviera Cruise with WONDERful Souvenir in the Works!Dream CAME True! June 21-26, 2011 TR
Food, Fun, and Frivolity: 8 Funtabulous days
Ugh, what were we thinking?! 9 days Deluxe Dining, The Crow's fly to Disneyworld! Jan 20-28, 2010 Pre-TR, DLR - The Proposal, Bouncers, and a Celebrity! June 3-6
Leshaface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:02 PM   #156
nunzia
You can't top pigs with pigs, but you CAN top Toys with Toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
It was a nice place to sneak into, we would grab waters, sodas, I'd have a cup of coffee or so and get as much cheese as I could manage without being tacky.

Yeah, When you go 14 hours in a day (before dinner at DTD) get up in five/six hours, you get a bit punchy the next day!

I never even saw the massage thing, I would have PAID, if they were in there when I was relaxing, boy would I have loved that. I looked for you. I checked the name of every Sorcerer and never saw one named Nancy, I think you said that was your name on a DVC thread.

I probably subconsciously "missed" that DVD was engaged to his assistant. I'm glad for him that he has happiness.
That's me!! I was the one who bought bagels at breakfast to eat for lunch and had my little bagel assembly mess spread out on a napkin in the lounge every day...think I lost weight at this Expo (but then made up for it with Dole Whip, Churro and Corn Dog at the park later)...I don't konw where they had that massge thing set up either..never saw it..I truly wanted to try a drink at the cash bar but really just zipped in and out.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:46 PM   #157
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

Hi,
I'm a little late to the party but very glad to have found your report! I'm a Disney fanatic too

Your trip report is just the right balance of narration and pictures. Can't wait to hear what is up next.

Thank you for taking the time to post.

TK
tksbaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 04:03 AM   #158
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

WOW! That was the pre-show entertainment??

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 05:02 PM   #159
franandaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshaface View Post
Omgosh how neat!

I started tripping out for a sec, I was like, "Wait, wasn't that a mouse, now it's dumbo!?" CRAZY cool!
We had fun seeing who the first person in our party was that could figure it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunzia View Post
That's me!! I was the one who bought bagels at breakfast to eat for lunch and had my little bagel assembly mess spread out on a napkin in the lounge every day...think I lost weight at this Expo (but then made up for it with Dole Whip, Churro and Corn Dog at the park later)...I don't konw where they had that massge thing set up either..never saw it..I truly wanted to try a drink at the cash bar but really just zipped in and out.
I really only spent Saturday relaxing in there, the other days I just popped in and out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tksbaskets View Post
Hi,
I'm a little late to the party but very glad to have found your report! I'm a Disney fanatic too

Your trip report is just the right balance of narration and pictures. Can't wait to hear what is up next.

Thank you for taking the time to post.

TK
Welcome! Glad to have you here, I still have plenty to report. I remember reading your NYE TR last winter, just after I added on at VWL!

Quote:
WOW! That was the pre-show entertainment??

Yeah, just wait until I get to the auction part. Some of the pieces got pretty heated in the bidding!

Old 08-28-2011, 05:07 PM   #160
franandaj

So the third and final painting for the evening went kind of like this….

Once the paintings were done it was time for the auction. We received an auction book when we got our auction paddles and that’s how I’m going to have all the details about the auction items. The only thing I did was write down the prices and take pictures.

The first lot up was a Personal Check signed by Walt Disney framed with a picture of Walt with Mickey Mouse. It was from March of 1941. The estimated value according to the brochure is $3,000-4,000. As you will see the prices in the brochure have no bearing on what the items end up selling for. This item sold for $3750.

Lot #2 was a surprise, and it was one of the paintings from David Garibaldi. I didn’t take a picture (since I already had one) so I don’t remember which painting it was. I know it wasn’t the Cheshire Cat, so I’m going to guess I was Cruella. It sold for $3,000.

Lot #3 was a World of Color Behind-the-Scenes Tour and Napa Rose Dinner for Two. The estimated value on this experience was $2,000. It sold for $4500.

Lot #4 was a Mickey Mouse – Pook-a-Looz Mosaic Sculpture that was debuted at the D23 Expo in 2009 in the Disney Consumer Products Pavilion. It was estimated at $3,000-4,000. I thought it was ugly. Evidently most people did too because it only sold for $2,000.

Lot #5 was the Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum figures. These guys were in the World of Disney store at WDW. They sold for $3500

Lot #6 was Called Walt Disney’s Hollywood. It included a visit with the Director of the Archives, Becky Cline and Dave Smith, Director Emeritus and Disney Legend. The tour will take place in Hollywood, Glendale and Burbank, the site of the first studio on Kingswell Avenue, the second studio on Hyperion, and the Burbank studio. It also includes a trip to Walt’s homes, the Barn, the Tam O’Shanter and the Merry Go Round where he watched his girls play and dreamed up Disneyland. Estimated value on this was $4,000. This went for $7,000.

Lot #7 was this Pirates of the Caribbean promotional piece from the Premiere on May 7th at the Disneyland Resort. Estimated value for this was $2,000-3,000. This went for $2500

More auctions to come later!

Last edited by franandaj; 08-28-2011 at 09:47 PM.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:39 PM   #161
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

A little late to check out your TR Allison. But I am enjoy reading your adventures during the D23 Expo. It was nice to meet you at the meet up on Thursday and also talking to you and Fran while we were waiting in the queue for the Cars Land presentation on Sunday.

Nice job on your TR.
mvf-m11c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 06:47 PM   #162
WDWJonasGirl
Mouseketeer/Directioner

Loved the trip report. I was the expo but never saw you.

Kaitlin: Lover of 5 Seconds of Summer, One Direction, Jonas, and Concerts
WDW: 5/03, 4/06, 12/06, 7/09, 8/10, 6/14, 7/14 DLR: Too Many To Count DCL: 1/07, 7/09, 8/11, 8/12, 6/14 DLP: 6/13
WDWJonasGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:01 PM   #163
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

With those sold prices, there must be a lot of cashed-up people there. And who said that the US was stagnating or still in recession? They obviously never met Disney-holics.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:48 AM   #164
franandaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvf-m11c View Post
A little late to check out your TR Allison. But I am enjoy reading your adventures during the D23 Expo. It was nice to meet you at the meet up on Thursday and also talking to you and Fran while we were waiting in the queue for the Cars Land presentation on Sunday.

Nice job on your TR.
Thanks! It was great to meet you a couple times! I hope you got into everything you wanted to to! Thanks for joining in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWJonasGirl View Post
Loved the trip report. I was the expo but never saw you.
Welcome! I'm guessing that based on your siggie pics that we had a few different goals at the expo. I'm not sure who the folks in your pics are, but we were probably waiting in some different lines! Glad to have you aboard regardless! I hope you enjoyed your time at the Expo too!

Quote:
With those sold prices, there must be a lot of cashed-up people there. And who said that the US was stagnating or still in recession? They obviously never met Disney-holics.
Just wait, you aint seen nothin yet! People keep saying "when will the Expo go to Orlando?"

Ummmmm once Orlando gathers the same amount of stupid millionaires that live in the LA area that are Disney freaks and willing to drop that much money on stuff that sells for ridiculous prices! Evidently there were lots of Disney execs in the audience. I wouldn't know, but that's what I heard.

Just you wait....these prices are like stealing candy from a baby. Just wait until they start stealing it from the adults. I think we have another six or seven lots to go before the first insane item goes up in smoke!

Old 08-29-2011, 04:06 AM   #165
skiingfast
Has had no bacon
Skiing fast to chocolate
But, will he succeed?

Not close to caught up but did enjoy the full list of movies.
skiingfast is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: