Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2011, 07:35 PM   #1
kirasaurus
Mouseketeer

Animal Kingdom's "Beastly Kingdom"

Taken from http://disneyworld.orlandovacation.c...al-kingdom.php
"As the story goes, Beastly Kingdom was to have been a separate land within Animal Kingdom, celebrating the creatures of myth from unicorns to dragons. However, budgetary restrictions in the belt-tightening Eisner years left Imagineers without the money to develop the additional land. Beastly Kingdom was postponed, perhaps forever."
Thoughts?

IMHO, Animal Kingdom has definitely improved over the years, but including Beastly Kingdom in the initial construction would have put it in the same league with the rest of the parks.
Instead, we're stuck with camp Minnie-Mickey
kirasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:40 PM   #2
stargazertechie
Toy Story Midway Maniac

Honestly, I love the park the way it is- if anything I'd love to see more attractions/lands based on far-flung locales with an emphasis on real animals. Aside from the Yeti (which is obviously a local legend) the park is really focused on reality, and I love it that way.

Upcoming trip- WDW Trip #14. BCV. 6/13.

Thinking about buying pins from ebay and getting into pin trading? PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
stargazertechie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-15-2011, 08:40 PM   #3
kmk1180
"Today's a good day to Win a Trip to Disney World."

Beastly could be cool.

But we love AK because of the tons of meet and greets, especially at Camp Minnie Mickey.
We always go there to get a bunch of autographs. And for us has always had the shortest wait times to meet the Big 5.
Saves us a ton of time at other parks freeing up us time to do rides at other parks.

Besides, people always mention Beastly Kingdom but it's just one on a long list of rides even areas that were considered but never done.
(like ever wonder why there are trolley tracking to no where on Sunset Strip in HS? I read that's where Toontown from Rodger Rabbit was going to go)
Old 08-15-2011, 09:10 PM   #4
jesswindsor
DIS Veteran

I read somewhere about a dragon rock fountain, so the last couple times I went I looked for it, it's still there, as your going over the bridge to camp Mickey-Minnie. They last time I went It was hidden behind alot of overgrown plants. But It was really neat. I am assuming that this would have been part of the beastly kingdom.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:23 PM   #5
minniebride
DIS Veteran

I also read that they were going to build a dragon themed roller coaster in Beatly Kingdom. Then, after all the huge layoffs they had a few years ago, several imagineers got laid off and took their ideas over to Universal, creating the Harry Potter dragon roller coaster instead.

ETA: http://www.theneverlandfiles.com/tnf...ragontower.php

Last edited by minniebride; 08-15-2011 at 09:32 PM.
minniebride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:35 PM   #6
jsh1975
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by minniebride View Post
I also read that they were going to build a dragon themed roller coaster in Beatly Kingdom. Then, after all the huge layoffs they had a few years ago, several imagineers got laid off and took their ideas over to Universal, creating the Harry Potter dragon roller coaster instead.

ETA: http://www.theneverlandfiles.com/tnf...ragontower.php
That dragon coaster was at IOA from the start as dueling dragons if i am not mistaken.
jsh1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:59 PM   #7
tarrbear
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsh1975 View Post
That dragon coaster was at IOA from the start as dueling dragons if i am not mistaken.
Yup, started as Dueling Dragons and when Harry Potter came to town they re-themed it to Dragon Challenge.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:02 PM   #8
tony609
"I've Gotta Show To Do"

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazertechie View Post
Honestly, I love the park the way it is- if anything I'd love to see more attractions/lands based on far-flung locales with an emphasis on real animals. Aside from the Yeti (which is obviously a local legend) the park is really focused on reality, and I love it that way.
Agreed, its my favorite park!
9/07,10/08,10/09,9/10,11/10,9/11,9/12, 5/13,5/13,9/13,5/14

DL-5/05, 5/12

COMING UP WDW-5/14, 9/14

FASTPASS+ THREAD
tony609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:22 PM   #9
hookedonears
Louisianan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirasaurus View Post
Taken from http://disneyworld.orlandovacation.c...al-kingdom.php
"As the story goes, Beastly Kingdom was to have been a separate land within Animal Kingdom, celebrating the creatures of myth from unicorns to dragons. However, budgetary restrictions in the belt-tightening Eisner years left Imagineers without the money to develop the additional land. Beastly Kingdom was postponed, perhaps forever."
Thoughts?

IMHO, Animal Kingdom has definitely improved over the years, but including Beastly Kingdom in the initial construction would have put it in the same league with the rest of the parks.
Instead, we're stuck with camp Minnie-Mickey
Couldn't have been said better.
hookedonears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 12:21 AM   #10
Mainedadof3
Earning My Ears

I also like Animal Kingdom, but I have to admit that Beastly Kingdom sounds so cool. I'm still waiting for a Lord of the Rings theme park. I know- it will be a long wait. When I make 50 million maybe I will build one myself. There are so many talented people who work for Disney and Universal they could create anything.
Mainedadof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 01:58 AM   #11
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainedadof3 View Post
I'm still waiting for a Lord of the Rings theme park. I know- it will be a long wait. When I make 50 million maybe I will build one myself. There are so many talented people who work for Disney and Universal they could create anything.
In the last year, maybe longer, people at Universal who are chosen for surveys have answered questions about a possible LOTR area...

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:00 AM   #12
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainedadof3 View Post
I also like Animal Kingdom, but I have to admit that Beastly Kingdom sounds so cool. I'm still waiting for a Lord of the Rings theme park. I know- it will be a long wait. When I make 50 million maybe I will build one myself. There are so many talented people who work for Disney and Universal they could create anything.
50 million

Add at least another zero to the end and then double it.

Last edited by chartle; 08-16-2011 at 11:05 AM.
chartle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 01:06 PM   #13
DanBoris
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesswindsor View Post
I read somewhere about a dragon rock fountain, so the last couple times I went I looked for it, it's still there, as your going over the bridge to camp Mickey-Minnie. They last time I went It was hidden behind alot of overgrown plants. But It was really neat. I am assuming that this would have been part of the beastly kingdom.
There are actually a number of remnants of the Beastly Kingdom concept in the park. For example there is a dragon silhouette in the Animal Kingdom logo, and a Unicorn section in the parking lot.

Dan
DanBoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 01:16 PM   #14
vivaciousdame
Mouseketeer

That would have been cool. I love mythical creatures. And I think it would have fit in it's own way. Look at the Yeti. And then the Dinosaurs were real but no one has seen a live one so in a way they fit with mythical/magical beasts.
If they had done that then it would have fit in with Universal's Dueling Dragons (at the time) and Harry Potter later. One would compliment the other by being a competition.
Anyway like the Legendary Years at POp Century becoming the Animation Resort maybe it will reincarnate as something else?
Old 08-16-2011, 01:19 PM   #15
vivaciousdame
Mouseketeer

btw, a LOTR park would be AWESOME. The King of Jordan is building a Star Trek park so why not a LOTR park?!
I'm wondering if DIsney will do something now that they own Marvel COmics. A super hero part of a park?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: