DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2011, 12:51 PM   #31
wdwnut
DIS Veteran

It has helped to treat the many members of the family to trips. We've had 25+ people at the same time at WDW. When they ask how much the villa will cost and hear 0, they've never said a bad thing about DVC. We just had 10 of us at BLT in a GV in May. They all think it was a good investment on our part that they get to enjoy with us when invited. Right now we're trying to coordinate a trip with nieces and nephews and their children for next spring.
wdwnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 12:59 PM   #32
autumnl78
Pirate Mermaid Princess In Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFan68 View Post
We are brand new to DVC and couldn't be happier and more excited about it!!! It's been almost 2 months since we joined and we're taking our first vacation next month on points. We are SO excited and we want to share the news with our friends and family but haven't because we are afraid of their reactions when they hear the news that we bought a "timeshare". That word has such a negative connotation to it that I don't think they'll understand DVC and will probably pass judgment without even looking into it.

Has any other people had similar experiences and/or any suggestions on how to break the news to them? We want to tell them so badly and want them to share in the fun of Disney but don't want them to think we are idiots for buying into a "timeshare".
ok.. had this issue w/ my rents.. theyre odd about travel. dont get the hubs and i thing for disney. when you tell them tell them w/ excitement and literature in hand. be prepared to EXPLAIN the process and program. and the benefits. once my rents saw how much we save, and the pics we took of our fun they got it. they now brag about it to others. my dad gets up and goes straight to FB in the mornings when we are there to see the pics i have uploaded because the man wont get a text plan.

the points to make/remember

#1- this is YOUR choice. It is a way to spend time and make memories with your family. If they judge oh well, ignore them. When and IF you take them to the park in the future they will LOVE Dvc and be embarrassed they ever questioned it.
#2- DVC is not a TIMESHARE, its a MAGIC/MEMORY share. A Vacation club. You are not trapped to one place at one time. Show them the book. Clue them in to the awesome.
#3- This is something you can will/deed/sell. Meaning your kids can use it w/ their kids. We are talking multi generational memories.
#4- dont worry what they say. have FUN

Proud owner and co-mod at dsnad.com, and askamouseaddict.com
autumnl78 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-16-2011, 03:16 PM   #33
bwvBound
DVC SSR & other timeshare

Just throwing this out to the wind, "DVC is a timeshare." There are many flavors of timeshare (points, weeks, fractional, UDI), different lengths of ownership (RTU, perpetuity) and ways to spin the story ... but DVC is still timeshare.
bwvBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 03:42 PM   #34
Ramsfan28

Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmboy95 View Post
Didnt care what anyone thought then.....dont care what anyone thinks now....you just know that it works for you!!!
+1!!

If family or friends couldn't be excited - well, I would have just crossed them off the list to ever take them with me on vacation.

I bought DVC for my family and I don't care for one second what others might think or say about it.

Ramsfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 03:59 PM   #35
kjd469
Addicted to WDW

DVC is a way to pay for your vacations - I don't really feel the need to explain to anyone how I pay for my vacations, thus no need to "share the news" that I own DVC unless of course someone were to ask about it. I guess everyone looks at it differently.
ABD Southwest Splendors July '09
ABD Sacred Valleys & Incan Cities Oct. '08
Inaugural Sailing of Disney Magic August '98
7 night Western Carib. Disney Magic October 2003
3 night Bahamas Disney Wonder March 2006
4 night Bahamas Disney Wonder March 2008
4 night DVC S.S. Member Cruise - Disney Wonder Sept. 2010
3 night Bahamas Disney Dream October 2011
7 night Eastern Carib. Disney Fantasy June 2012
www.whencanwego.blogspot.com
kjd469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 04:06 PM   #36
jimmytammy
Swivel, it's a hard habit to break
Not Tammy, just Jimmy
Go, Panthers!!! (oh, nevermind...)

Its not a matter of being dishonest, its a matter of its your business, no one elses. So make your trips, and as time goes by, people will start questioning how you can afford to go so much. You will know how to answer, because you will do so with bliss, and you wont be questioning yourself if you did the right thing or not.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:35 PM   #37
appleorchard
DIS Veteran

My sister poo-pooed the whole Disney thing--until she became a grandma and a Disney fanatic at the same time. Now she goes more than we go, and having us transfer in points she can use or share trips or whatever else she can do to get down there all sounds good to her lol. Sometimes it just depends on where you are in life. Two of my brothers own Vettes as a "third" car--that would never be the way I chose to spend my extra money, but more power to 'em--literally!
appleorchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:50 PM   #38
arthur06
DDC #689

Our families know that we own DVC. They don't care to own it, but never give us a hard time for it. Our kids are all under 10, so its important to us to make those memories with them.

Timeshares, Disney or not, can be a GREAT value if purchased right and used with great knowledge of the systems.

I just rented a 2br Wyndham Glacier Canyon for $115 a night, including waterpark passes. I had some friends who went to the Dells this year and paid more, and got less.

If you love to travel and know how to use/manage a TS, then there is really no need to apologize for saving money.

November '12 Disneyland/VGC Trip Report
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2964937

arthur06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:23 PM   #39
bmalonef45
DIS Veteran

I was just having a conversation with a friend last weekend and mentioned the trips we had planned. He's known we've had DVC for a while and he mentioned that of all the people he knew with timeshares we're the only family that didn't treat it like a burden. And yes we're the only ones that owned DVC.

Our family doesn't seem to care about our timeshare. We were lucky, we bought our DVC back in 05 and though we didn't have the cash to pay for it we were smart about only buying what we thought we we could pay for and then took care of it. I'm not sure we ever told anyone exactly what it cost but that was none of their business.

In 2 months I get to treat my family to WDW again and even though its a surprise for the kids I know that they will love it. Today I booked a trip to Aulani for spring break. In all the years while I was in school I never went on a spring break trip, my kids get to go to Hawaii. That makes me happy and they are totally excited. The experiences they've been able to have on the cruises, and trips to WDW will last forever. I'm only 40 but I can't wait till the day my kids get to take their kids on trips like this. You can't put a price on that.

Congratulations on your purchase and Welcome Home.

Previous Disney Trips:
07/10/94-07/17/94 CB; 11/13/96 Off Site; 10/20/05-10/23/05 Off Site; 06/04/06-06/09/06 OKW; 11/18/06-11/22/06 BCV-DCL Cruise; 1/14/07-1/18/07 OKW; 07/28/07-08/04/08 VB; 12/09/07-12/13/07 SSR; 04/19/08-04/26/08 DCL Cruise; 11/24/08-11/29/08 VWL; 10/04/09-10/07/09 BCV; 05/29/10-06/08/10 DCL Cruise-THV; 10/13/11-10/18/11 SSR; 03/15/12-03/22/12 Aulani; 05/26/13-06/08/13 BLT-DCL Cruise; 02/13/14-02/17/14 OKW.
bmalonef45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:09 PM   #40
Sammie
DIS Veteran

We did not tell.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:34 AM   #41
Dziactor
Mouseketeer

I gotta agree. My family thinks im nuts that we purchased a few years ago, and has since dont to WDW, DL and done a Disney Cruise. The time with my family has been priceless and our time together has made us stronger. Next weekend im going solo with DS and I cant wait. My family may think were nuts, but its worth it.

Dziactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:55 AM   #42
dianeschlicht
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
DIS Earth Angel :)
I promise not to plot against the showering
today I can only think of bubbles :o

No need to tell them. If you want to invite them along sometime in the future and they accept your invitation, you can tell them then. Otherwise, just go on your "timeshare " trips and enjoy your purchase. Eventually they will see how much fun you are having and want to know how you can do it.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:35 AM   #43
DVC SSR Owner
DIS Veteran

My brother in law said we were so stupid to spend that money, but he spent $9500 on his last trip to Disney and they stayed at the boardwalk. He spent that on one vacation and we spent $11000 on 200 ssr points. So who is the idiot? We just ignore them!
DVC SSR Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:39 AM   #44
PoohsFan1
DIS Veteran

We bought into DVC last September and it took us a long time to tell our family (both sides) about it. We did tell friends since they don't talk to any of our family members and of course they were not surprised that we made the purchase (every one knows how much we love going to Disney) anyways. Finally we decided that we should just let our families know what we did and surprisingly both sides were very welcoming to the ideas. I was more so worried about my side since my parents own timeshares and knows how it can be sometimes, but they also know that Disney is a huge part of our life. They actually thought that we were going to buy into it much sooner than we originally had since when I was younger and found out about Old Key West (before it was Old Key West), I had begged my parents to buy into it.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:27 AM   #45
TiszBear
DIS Veteran

have to put in my 2 cents. I bought while I was on my honeymoon in 1999, and I fought to keep it when I went thru my divorce. So I am a single woman with DVC, who cares. My family and close friends know I own DVC and don't really care. They know I love Disney and realize that because of it I have a guarenteed vacation every year. I have taken my family and close friends on the trips I have done because of DVC. There are some (coworkers - non Disney people) who think I should sell, but hmmm NO! My DVC is all paid off, I can take a great vacation or 2 evey year and it's what make me happy.

I have to say I have enjoyed reading this thread.

TiszBear is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: