Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2011, 09:57 AM   #1
shade34098
Earning My Ears

park tickets

We are coming down for 6 days in the parks... I don't want to spend a small fortune for park hopper tickets when we really don't want/need/have time to use them... though there may be the need to go from one park to another once or twice during our stay... Here's my question... can we buy maybe an 8 day ticket (instead of a 6 day ticket) and use it like a park hopper if we only switch parks once or twice during our stay?
shade34098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:03 AM   #2
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Nope. If you buy a multi day park pass, that isn't a hopper, you can't use two different days entrance on the same day.
Now, if you want to buy a regular, full priced one day admission pass for each person in your family, then you can do that. But that's a wee bit expensive. You can add hopping to your park passes at some point if you wish to, but that's about the only thing you can do.
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-14-2011, 11:56 AM   #3
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place

To Park Hop (going to more then one park a day) you must have the park hopper option...

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/

LilyWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 12:15 PM   #4
notaclue
DIS Veteran

Sorry for butting in here, but just to clarify....you guys are saying I cannot use 2 days worth of tickets on the same day, say go to MK in the morning and Epcot in the afternoon and use 2 day's tickets?
notaclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 12:20 PM   #5
Polydweller
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by notaclue View Post
Sorry for butting in here, but just to clarify....you guys are saying I cannot use 2 days worth of tickets on the same day, say go to MK in the morning and Epcot in the afternoon and use 2 day's tickets?
Yep. That's what they are saying for MWY ticket. You could buy a separate one day ticket but that would cost you more than the park hopper option. So, bottom line, you can't use the same physical ticket in two different parks on the same day unless you add the park hopper option.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:22 PM   #6
chefmb
DIS Veteran

That's correct. You can't use two days of your ticket to go to two different parks in the same day. You have to get the park hopper option if you want to do that. As another poster mentioned, you can add the park hopping option on to your tickets at guest services at some point during your trip if you want to wait to decide if you'll need it.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:19 PM   #7
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Here's how the tickets work...
If you buy an 8 day, nonhopping pass, that pass is activated each morning when you enter a park. Once that day has been activated, it can't be used again that day for entrance to a different park..it will show as invalid. You can leave the park and return to that same park but not to a different one.

Disney isn't stupid. They realize that adding a few days to the nonhopper pass is a lot cheaper than the hopping pass for 2 fewer days. They knew people would try to use 2 different days on one day to get 'hopping' priviledges. For instance, an expiring 8 day nonhopper is about $292.88 vs an expiring 6 day hopper for about $334.41. So someone might need 6 days in the parks but not want to pay for hopping on all those days...so buys an 8 day nonhopper pass thinking they could save the $41 or so and use 2 days of the 8 day for 2 days of hopping. Ah, no. Disney does not allow it.
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 02:52 PM   #8
notaclue
DIS Veteran

Smile

Thanks for the info; I never knew that. We always buy hoppers just in case, but we've never used them. Guess I'll keep buying that option.
notaclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 03:00 PM   #9
McIntoshTx
Mouseketeer

Yep yep when you buy a WDW multi day ticket you are buying admission to one park per day. The park hopper option allows to go to multiple parks. The only way to hop without the hopper option is to buy say 2 single day tickets which of course cost much more than the multi day park hopper option

That pesky mouse is pretty smart when it comes to his cheese
Old 08-14-2011, 03:38 PM   #10
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

A tip I've given my sister in the past: If she's not sure she needs park hoppers, just buy the general MYW ticket.

Then when she is at Disney, if she decides she wants to park hop, she can stop in guest relations and add it to her ticket.

So far she hasn't needed a park hopper so she's saved herself some money. Sort of. Because both times she was thinking she might get a park hopper, she went to DTD instead and went shopping. Lol.

And to the boards!

Connie

WDW: 16 family trips, 10 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR (2), WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (3), POR (6) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
GaSleepingBeautyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 05:58 PM   #11
Claire&TheBoys
The Queen of the Castle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaSleepingBeautyFan View Post
A tip I've given my sister in the past: If she's not sure she needs park hoppers, just buy the general MYW ticket.

Then when she is at Disney, if she decides she wants to park hop, she can stop in guest relations and add it to her ticket.

So far she hasn't needed a park hopper so she's saved herself some money. Sort of. Because both times she was thinking she might get a park hopper, she went to DTD instead and went shopping. Lol.

And to the boards!
I always say -- Put the money that the hoppers would cost in an envelope and keep it separate. If you decide you want to hop, you have the money set aside. If you don't, then at the end of your stay you can buy some extra souvenirs or have a nice dinner or do something fun and extra that you normally wouldn't have done.

Coming up: Long weekend at CSR for Veterans' Day

"You see, it's just like I told you. Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart. And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes. They're shining deep down inside you... because that, my friends, is where the magic lives."

More than 25 trips to Disney World since age 4, including:
Jan 2014: OKW - Feb 2013 (DPHM): CSR - Sept 2012: Pop - Nov 2011: Pop - May 2011: CSR - Jan 2011: All-Star Sports - May 2010: Pop Century - Nov 2009: Wilderness Lodge - May 2009: Shades of Green -
Aug/Sept 2008: CSR - Jan 2008: POFQ - Sept 2007: CSR - Sept 2004: FWCabins - Sept 2003: CSR - Jan 1997: Honeymoon at Westgate - Plus many trips as a child at FW!
Claire&TheBoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 07:00 PM   #12
boufa
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire&TheBoys View Post
I always say -- Put the money that the hoppers would cost in an envelope and keep it separate. If you decide you want to hop, you have the money set aside. If you don't, then at the end of your stay you can buy some extra souvenirs or have a nice dinner or do something fun and extra that you normally wouldn't have done.
+1 Great tip. I think hopping is one of the bigger wastes of money that people do. Proper planning normally will erase the need of hoppers. Now, I admit, not always, but often. In most cases 1 park plus all the resort hotel dining options is plenty of choices on a particular day.

For a short trip maybe you would want to do AK during the day and then catch one of the fireworks shows at another park. But that is the only reason I can see for them. On a longer trip, AK and then DTD or maybe a good time to hang by the pool. We put AK in the middle of our trip so that we can use that night off as a way to recover our energy for the rest of the trip.

boufa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:59 PM   #13
hannahdrewmom
DIS Veteran

Yup we never buy them off the bat. We try to plan without them... then if we need them we add them. However, we better need them badly because even though I have the money budgetted... it makes you think about how much you want/need to hop when you are handing over the $50 a person to get in! (especially if it's near the end of the trip!)
hannahdrewmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
park hopper, tickets

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: