Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2011, 01:09 PM   #1
allymouse
Mouseketeer

Animal Kingdom: Why Do I Always Skip You?

Hi All,

Most of my recent trips to Disney (just my guy and I, no kids) have been on the shorter side, long weekends, Thursday through Monday kind of trips. Every trip we skip Animal Kingdom! I went once when I was on college spring break, I think it had recently opened maybe (actually I have no idea if that is true) in 2003. I just found it.... meh. Nothing too exciting. The safari was cool but I don't remember seeing too much, and I also got SOAKED on that water ride.

Has anything been added? (I know about the roller coaster)
I need to know WHY I should go on my next trip.

Am I right?
Am I just so WRONG?
Am I crazy?

Thanks!

Ally
allymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:13 PM   #2
rotlex
Is it summer yet?

Animal Kingdom, IMO, needs to be enjoyed for what it is. The best themed park Disney has to offer. While it has some great rides in Everest, the Safari, Kali etc., it's the feeling I get when I'm there that keeps me, and my family, going back. It truly feels like you are not in Florida, and have been transported to any one of the lands you are walking though.

It's a park where you need to take the time and stop to smell the roses, view the views, and just well, enjoy yourself. Heck, we generally do two days in AK when on our trips. It's our favorite park! The fact that I'm also a photography nut helps. LOTS to take pics of on any trip!

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
- Dr. Seuss

rotlex is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-12-2011, 01:14 PM   #3
PIRATEGIRL007
DIS Cast Member
OMG! I am about to jump up and down!
real technical words, aren't they!

Quote:
Originally Posted by allymouse View Post

Am I right?
Am I just so WRONG?
Am I crazy?

Thanks!

Ally
Nope
Yep
I don't know if crazy is the right word but

We find more than enough to do at AK and would never skip it. FOTKL is our favorite WDW show and we see it at least twice a trip, EE is my favorite coaster and DH's second so we have to ride it a couple times (even w/ the dead yeti) and we all enjoy the peacefulness of the park and soaking up atmostpher on the charecter trails. It's not for everyone but it doesn't sound like you have really given it a chance if you havn't even bothered to go in the past 8 years or so.

AK opened in 1999
PIRATEGIRL007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:17 PM   #4
thegoof213
Mouseketeer

i personally love ak the atmosphere is great
Old 08-12-2011, 01:22 PM   #5
jesswindsor
DIS Veteran

AK is not my fav. park. But I do find it enjoyable. If your looking for rides, and only rides, you probably won't like this park since there are very few major attractions. I love the Lion King show and the Nemo show, I actually find this park more relaxing than the rest, I like to take my time and enjoy my surroundings. There is room for improvement of course, more rides, shows, food.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:26 PM   #6
imthatgirl
DIS Veteran

We always go, but we don't need more then 2-3 hours there. If I was going on a short trip I wouldn't even bother.

However on a week long(or more trip) I do like to pop in and ride Kali and Everest then see the Lion King. Everything else...to me...is pretty much useless.
imthatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:27 PM   #7
nicole0992
I was born on Mickey's birthday!

Animal Kingdom is my least favorite park. I do try to spend one day each trip there but just haven't fallen in love with it. I think because I visit the San Diego Zoo and Wild Animal Park here often is part of the reason.

AK is a gorgeous park with great rides and shows. I ask myself the same question about why I just dont' love it. Funny thing is that it's my DH's favorite! Different strokes for different folks.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:30 PM   #8
KatieCollette
Once upon a time...

I feel the same way! I only went once when I was a teenager and it had JUST opened. Like it was only halfway done, some of the countries weren't even up yet. And it was just ok. For our last two trips we only did short 4 day trips, but DS is begging to go there for our next 8 day trip, and actually DH is kinda excited to. And I'm just like... meh. I'm planning a short day for there. We're going early for Tusker House character breakfast, and be back to the hotel after lunch for resort time.
KatieCollette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:32 PM   #9
RFrank9504
DIS Veteran

We LOVE AK! This is my kids favorite park (they are 9 & 7). I agree with PP it definitely doesnt have the FL feel to it. In fact we always joke saying this must be what Africa feels like (heat wise)

The food/restaurant choices arent the best, but we enjoy everything else.

Palm Beacher
RFrank9504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:34 PM   #10
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by allymouse View Post
Hi All,

Most of my recent trips to Disney (just my guy and I, no kids) have been on the shorter side, long weekends, Thursday through Monday kind of trips. Every trip we skip Animal Kingdom! I went once when I was on college spring break, I think it had recently opened maybe (actually I have no idea if that is true) in 2003. I just found it.... meh. Nothing too exciting. The safari was cool but I don't remember seeing too much, and I also got SOAKED on that water ride.

Am I right?
Am I just so WRONG?
Am I crazy?

Thanks!

Ally
We're in the same boat! We weren't planning to go to AK on our March trip and even now that we've added an October trip, we would still rather spend an extra afternoon in Epcot or MK.

We went to AK in '09 and were impressed with the theming, but we're just not dying to go back.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:42 PM   #11
lacrosse_lady72
I <3 Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIRATEGIRL007 View Post
Nope
Yep
I don't know if crazy is the right word but

We find more than enough to do at AK and would never skip it. FOTKL is our favorite WDW show and we see it at least twice a trip, EE is my favorite coaster and DH's second so we have to ride it a couple times (even w/ the dead yeti) and we all enjoy the peacefulness of the park and soaking up atmostpher on the charecter trails. It's not for everyone but it doesn't sound like you have really given it a chance if you havn't even bothered to go in the past 8 years or so.

AK opened in 1999
I totally agree with everything, especially the first few lines . While FOTKL isn't my favorite, it's one of my mom's favorites. We love AK. We don't spend as much time there as we do at other parks, but we would never miss it.

WDW: JULY/AUGUST 2002, MARCH 2004, MARCH/APRIL 2005, SEPTEMBER 2006, SEPTEMBER 2007, SEPTEMBER 2008, SEPTEMBER/OCTOBER 2009, APRIL 2010, SEPTEMBER 2011, SEPTEMBER 2013, SEPTEMBER 2015
DLR: APRIL 1998, DECEMBER 2005, JANUARY 2012, JANUARY 2013

lacrosse_lady72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:44 PM   #12
nblake05
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotlex View Post
Animal Kingdom, IMO, needs to be enjoyed for what it is. The best themed park Disney has to offer. While it has some great rides in Everest, the Safari, Kali etc., it's the feeling I get when I'm there that keeps me, and my family, going back. It truly feels like you are not in Florida, and have been transported to any one of the lands you are walking though.

It's a park where you need to take the time and stop to smell the roses, view the views, and just well, enjoy yourself. Heck, we generally do two days in AK when on our trips. It's our favorite park! The fact that I'm also a photography nut helps. LOTS to take pics of on any trip!
I completely agree!!! AK is my favorite park. And like the OP, my DH and I are there w/out kids... so walking some of the trails can be kinda romantic, too! It really is just a beautiful place to be and personally, I think the Tree of Life is absolutely stunning! You just have to be in a different mode for AK, be able to relax and REALLY get a good look and appreciate the details!

Laughter is timeless.Imagination has no age. And dreams are forever.--Walt Disney
nblake05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:47 PM   #13
julie4423
Mouseketeer

I love AK! I can't imagine only spending 3-4 hours there. I spent about a day and a half there on my last trip. The safari was really fun because the animals are so close. I love Kali on a hot day. I think I'm one of the few who think Dinosaur is alot of fun. I'm genuinely scared every time I ride it. lol It's Tough to Be a Bug=hilarious for me. I could go on and on.

As for the food, I love the CS options. The Yak & Yeti CS is so yummy and different than anything else you eat at WDW. Flame Tree...just tried this for the first time in May, and it was awesome. You can sit down by the lake, and it's so breezy and beautiful.

Give it a try!
julie4423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:48 PM   #14
WTP
Mouseketeer

I agree with PP that AK is all about the theming. It also has some of the more interesting food options in all of WDW, in my opinion.

That said, it is the park that handles the heat the worst. Most of the "attractions" are the outdoor animal habitats. So, we typically spend only the mornings there. In my upcoming 11 day September trip, I have only one for-sure morning planned at AK. The second may or may not happen, depending on if we need a rest day. And that will be OK for us. I would love to see everything, but I really don't enjoy that park in the heat! But for a Dec or Jan trip, I'd happily spend 2 full days there!
Old 08-12-2011, 02:04 PM   #15
princessSunshine
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotlex View Post

I agree, it's a take your time kinda park. That's why we enjoy the trails - to look into a silverback's eyes and have it looking back, really looking at you and see the intelligence there - wow.
princessSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: