Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2011, 12:32 PM   #1
DizLicious
Earning My Ears

Question How often does the Magical Express leave MCO for Disney?

I am flying into MCO at 9:50am on a Saturday. My reservations for ME show that they are picking me up at 12noon. I had hoped to catch the Magical Express and get to AKL by 12 noon, and then get to AK park by 1pm. Can someone tell me how often ME leaves MCO? Am I being unreasonable with my expectations to land at 10am and get to AKL, then AK park by 1pm? My trip is in early November. Any info would be greatly appreciated! This is my first time here, but I have read dozens of great info from posts over the past 3 months.
DizLicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:37 PM   #2
jcarwash
DIS Veteran

Hi, FYI there is also a Transportation board that specializes in these types of DME questions.

Upon arrival at MCO, there are no reserved pickup times. What you're seeing with the 12 noon is likely just the default flight arrival time, which DME is ignoring -- they just want your flight number and they check the schedules from the airlines.

At MCO you go to the DME area on B side level 1. The queue for AKL (and perhaps other resorts, not sure which bus is shared) will be loaded onto the buses according to the CMs running the lines.

It's not unreasonable at all to think you'd be at AK itself by 1pm.

Note that upon your return from AKL to MCO there WILL be a pickup time, typically 3 hours prior to your flight time. That specific time will be in an envelope at your resort room the day prior to departure.

WDW: 17 | DLR: 3 | DCL: 2
Next: Feb 2015 Disney Magic
jcarwash is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-12-2011, 12:38 PM   #3
Jestocost
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizLicious View Post
I am flying into MCO at 9:50am on a Saturday. My reservations for ME show that they are picking me up at 12noon. I had hoped to catch the Magical Express and get to AKL by 12 noon, and then get to AK park by 1pm. Can someone tell me how often ME leaves MCO? Am I being unreasonable with my expectations to land at 10am and get to AKL, then AK park by 1pm? My trip is in early November. Any info would be greatly appreciated! This is my first time here, but I have read dozens of great info from posts over the past 3 months.
Many of the DME reservation forms show 12:00 pick ups by default no matter when your plane arrives. You can rest assured, however, that there is no such thing as a scheduled pick up time for the DME ride from MCO to your resort. Buses will depart as they are filled up (or every 20-30 minutes at slow times), so the wait generally isn't long.

You can expect to be at your resort anywhere from 60-90 minutes after your plane arrives IF you use the DME luggage transfer service or have only carry-on bags. In our case, I would say you should be at your resort by 11 or certainly no later than 11:30 in most cases (provided your flight is on time).
Spring 1976, WDW/Golf Resort; Spring 2000, WDW/CBR; Summer 2002, WDW/CBR; Thanksgiving 2003, Disney Wonder & WDW/CBR; Fall 2004, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2005, Disney Magic W. Caribbean; Fall 2005, WDW/BC; Summer 2006, Disney Magic E. Caribbean & WDW/POFQ; Christmas 2006, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2007, DLR/Disneyland Hotel; Fall 2007, WDW/Poly; Summer 2008, WDW/POFQ & Disney Wonder B2B; Thanksgiving 2008, WDW/Poly; Summer 2009, WDW/AKL; Christmas/New Year 2009-2010, WDW/Poly and Disney Magic W. Caribbean; Spring Break 2010, WDW/BC; Summer 2010, WDW/GF; Thanksgiving 2010, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2011, WDW/BC; Summer 2011, WDW/BWI; Thanksgiving 2011, Disney Dream; Summer 2012, WDW/AKL;F&WF 2012, WDW/BWI; Spring Break 2013, WDW/BC; Summer 2013, Disney Wonder Alaska; F&WF 2013, WDW/YC; Spring Break 2014, WDW/AKL and Disney Fantasy W. Caribbean; Summer 2014, WDW/WL; October 2014, Disney Magic S. Caribbean and Repo B2B

Jestocost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:52 PM   #4
DizLicious
Earning My Ears

Thanks so much for the excellent responses. I am having some trouble locating the correct boards for certain questions. I actually was looking to post on the transportation board for ME, but though I could read and reply to threads....couldn't figure out how to start a new one.

Thanks again....both answers were great and I feel much better now. AK closes at 5pm which is why I grabbed the first flight into MCO that I could. Waiting around the airport for 2 hours (which is what I thought would happen with the 12pm pickup time) would have definitely thrown a wrench into my plans. I wasn't going to kid myself about getting more than a half day in at that park when I arrived.....but only getting 2 or three hours would have really bummed me out. THANKS!!!
DizLicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:56 PM   #5
GreatGranny
Mouseketeer

Our flight is due to arrive at abt. 9:30am and on our reservation it shows DME pickup at 12:00am. When I called to give my flight info, the CM did not want the arrival time, just the carrier and flight number. She said they check with the airport each morning to get arrival times, and plan their buses around that info.

GG
GreatGranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:40 PM   #6
seashoreCM
All around nice guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jestocost View Post
Many of the DME reservation forms show 12:00 pick ups by default no matter when your plane arrives. You can rest assured, however, that there is no such thing as a scheduled pick up time for the DME ride from MCO to your resort. .
In other words, if your plane arrives at the airport earlier (or later) than the time printed on your reservation they will put you on the next available bus when you get to the Magical Express area. (But not on an earlier day)
Avoid getting a lemon. The used car should test drive perfectly. Any roughness or hesitation and you should reject it and walk away. Don't accept excuses. Avoid becoming a battered spouse. Your fiance(e) should behave perfectly. Any roughness or outbursts and you should break up for good. Don't accept promises.
seashoreCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:22 PM   #7
Donalyn
Mouseketeer

I loved not having to rent a car, but the line to check in at ME was the longest line that we stood in during our week at WDW (and that is saying something).

DL 1979 (just me)
WDW July, 1990 (just me, off-site)
WDW January, 2003 (DH first trip, off-site)
WDW December, 2005 (DD's first trip, off-site)
WDW January, 2009 (first trip on-site, first trip as a family of four)
DL June, 2010 (HoJos, DH, DD and DD's first trips)
WDW November, 2011 (Birthday trip for both DDs, off-site, first MVMCP!)
Donalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 04:47 AM   #8
Florimel
Mouseketeer

Thank you, that answers a question I was about to ask! I was just checking our trip details yesterday and our ME time is 12noon even though we land at 1630. We used ME 2 years ago and seemed to be very speedy (and so much less stressful than driving, and navigating) - that was in October though.

June 2003 DLP (DLH) | October 2004 WDW (GF) | May 2005 WDW (WL) | May 2006 DLP (DLH) | Xmas 2007 WDW (GF) | July 2008 DLP (HNY) | DD's Birthday Trip March 2009 DLP (DH) | October 2009 WDW (BC) | August 2010 DL California (GC) | October 2011 (BC)

Florimel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:20 AM   #9
mountdew1
DIS Veteran

Having set departure times from MCO to WDW wouldn't work. If a plane is delayed, people stuck in customs, if someone stops to eat, or waits for luggage, any number of things could make them take more time to get to the bus area. If you had a set bus time, then as you pointed out, you would either need to wait around the airport for a while, or have people risk missing their bus and screw up their scheduling. By assigning the buses on an as needed basis they are able to get people to the resorts as quickly as they can in the most efficient manner possible. Depending on crowds the bus may be just for a single resort, or there can be several resorts on the same bus. We have walked right on a bus that took off a minute later, we have had to wait 10-15 minutes for a bus, and we have also gotten on a bus only to wait 10 minutes for other guests. It all depends, but they get you out of there as soon as possible. WDW makes no money off of you while you are at MCO, and want you on property as soon as possible.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:31 AM   #10
stargazertechie
Toy Story Midway Maniac

Last year I got bumped to a flight the night before my scheduled arrival. I ended up sleeping in the lobby of MCO until 4:45 AM, and then went down to the ME counter. I wasn't scheduled to arrive until that afternoon, but I was at my resort IN A ROOM by 6:30 AM

Reason #172 that I love Disney

Upcoming trip- WDW Trip #14. BCV. 6/13.

Thinking about buying pins from ebay and getting into pin trading? PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
stargazertechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 08:14 AM   #11
Suellen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazertechie View Post
Last year I got bumped to a flight the night before my scheduled arrival. I ended up sleeping in the lobby of MCO until 4:45 AM, and then went down to the ME counter. I wasn't scheduled to arrive until that afternoon, but I was at my resort IN A ROOM by 6:30 AM

Reason #172 that I love Disney
Why would you do this?
Old 08-13-2011, 08:29 AM   #12
ses1230
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donalyn View Post
I loved not having to rent a car, but the line to check in at ME was the longest line that we stood in during our week at WDW (and that is saying something).
I'm nit sure if this is what you meant, but if you already have your ME vouchers you do not have to check in at the ME desk you can go right to the bus line podium.

1978 CR 2006 CR 2007 OKW 2008 SSR 2009 GF 2010 BLT 2011 BLT 2012 AKV 2013 DCL - Wonder
2013 BC 2014 Pop 2014 BLT 2015 Pop 2015 BC
ses1230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:20 AM   #13
NOLAmom
Mouseketeer

Could you explain that further about having ME vouchers and avoiding line to check in at ME? I'm about to use ME for 1st time with 2 young toddlers. Where do we get the vouchers? If we have them, we just go straight to the bus line to get on the bus?
NOLAmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:27 AM   #14
stargazertechie
Toy Story Midway Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suellen View Post
Why would you do this?
Senior year of college. Didn't have the dough to pay for night at the Airport Hyatt, and the AP rate I was staying on was blacked out the night I arrived (my check in was the first day after the blackout).

I managed the entire trip (food, airfare and resort) for $400 (not including my annual pass). Not bad for 8 days of bliss!

Upcoming trip- WDW Trip #14. BCV. 6/13.

Thinking about buying pins from ebay and getting into pin trading? PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
stargazertechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:33 AM   #15
Cinderella's slipper
A cross between Cinderella and Winnie the Pooh - "uniquely me"

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazertechie View Post
Senior year of college. Didn't have the dough to pay for night at the Airport Hyatt, and the AP rate I was staying on was blacked out the night I arrived (my check in was the first day after the blackout).

I managed the entire trip (food, airfare and resort) for $400 (not including my annual pass). Not bad for 8 days of bliss!
Kudos to you! I'm totally envious that you managed to make an 8 day stay in the Magic on $400.00.

Linda ~~WDW Commando Club #200
October 1982 offsite -- October 1986 offsite
Many trips in between -POFQ -- Disney World Land & Sea Cruise Poly, Sept 2001 -- POR, Sept 2002 -- Disneyland, Aug 2005 --Shades of Green, Feb 2008 -- Dreams Come True Trip, AKL, Oct 2009 --POFQ, Sept 2011 -- Pop Century, Oct 2012 -- Offsite, March 2014 an all girls trip.
Cinderella's slipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magical express, transportation

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: