Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2011, 03:29 PM   #76
baseballmickey
DDC #644

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekkerdisneydreamer View Post
[B]I don't think what you did is flame-worthy. Your DD was asleep, getting rest she needed, and you already called your pediatrician.
Thanks! DW was reading this as I was writing and she said "omg, what are people going to think of us?" I am sure most people would understand, but there's always a few...

Quote:
I love the GF pic with the tree and balloons at the ceiling. It really does look festive and beautiful!
The GF is so nice on its own... the holidays make it even better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan23877 View Post
Loving the pics of the gingerbread! I totally understand why you kept going- you were actively trying to help DD, you couldn't have been doing more if you were sitting at your resort.
Thanks! This whole trip I know I was going back and forth between feeling justified for putting my family through all of it, to feeling guilty... it all depended on their mood.

Quote:
So now, the suspense is killing me! I sincerely hope the pedi is sympathetic and sends down a prescription for DD. Poor thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Mo View Post
went from a adventure movie to suspense!
Sorry to keep you all in suspense... not a nice thing to do to my readers!

Numerous Trips as a kid from 1974-1993. WDWCP MK Custodial Spring '94. Off Property, 1995, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001. Land/Sea @ ASMR/Wonder 2002. CBR 2003. POR 2006. Off Property 2007. DVC @ SSR since 2007.. SSR 2008, 2009.. BWV March 2010. SSR December 2010.
BLT/DCL Dream/BCV July/August 2012. AKL/Vero July 2013. runDisney OKW Jan 2014. SSR/Vero/Pop July 2014. runDisney AoA Nov 2014.
DISDad #644
I'm Going Away... FOREVER! Oh, Great! Could You Get Me a Sandwich? A TR Interrupted
My First Trip Report - Escape from New York, Dec 26, 2010 - Jan 1, 2011 - COMPLETED!
Our Disney Blog: "Home is Where the Mouse is"

Treguna Mekoides and Trecorum Satis Dee

Last edited by baseballmickey; 08-19-2011 at 09:26 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-19-2011, 10:59 PM   #77
baseballmickey
DDC #644

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthshh View Post
Subbing so that I can hear how it all turns out. What a vacation! It definitely deserves a trip report.

You guys are being such great sports about it all. I'm impressed.

Can't wait to read more!
Thanks so much for reading!

Numerous Trips as a kid from 1974-1993. WDWCP MK Custodial Spring '94. Off Property, 1995, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001. Land/Sea @ ASMR/Wonder 2002. CBR 2003. POR 2006. Off Property 2007. DVC @ SSR since 2007.. SSR 2008, 2009.. BWV March 2010. SSR December 2010.
BLT/DCL Dream/BCV July/August 2012. AKL/Vero July 2013. runDisney OKW Jan 2014. SSR/Vero/Pop July 2014. runDisney AoA Nov 2014.
DISDad #644
I'm Going Away... FOREVER! Oh, Great! Could You Get Me a Sandwich? A TR Interrupted
My First Trip Report - Escape from New York, Dec 26, 2010 - Jan 1, 2011 - COMPLETED!

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-20-2011, 12:47 AM   #78
baseballmickey
DDC #644

WDW Day 2, Resort Hopping Part 2

I know you are all hoping that this part begins with... "The phone rang", but it doesn't.

It was about 3pm, and I am not a pushy person (I firmly believe you catch more flies with honey, as they say), so I figured I'd give it until 4pm, and then if I still hadn't heard from the Dr., I would call them back. So yeah... we’re still waiting.

In the meantime, we had located the mixer. We weren't sure what to expect, but I had suspicions of this being some pretense to get us all in a room to see if they could get us to buy more points!

The mixer was in the Fantasia ballroom of the Convention Center. There were a good number of people there, and a line had formed to get in. CMs were handing out pens and forms for people to fill out while on line. We could hear music coming from inside the ballroom, and we were eager to see what they had in store for us inside.

The forms being handed out were raffles for you to drop into boxes inside, along with a map of the ballroom showing the different "stations" they had. To get in, you had to show your DVC member card. The line was moving quickly, so before we knew it we were going inside.

The room was huge. On the far side was a stage with a DJ, and in front of that, a dance floor. There were a lot of small tables spread around the room for people to fill out raffle forms, and eat snacks. There were some chairs, but not enough for everyone. Around the outside of the room were the various stations. One was selling pins, another had artwork, there was a kids craft table, and in one corner there was a character greeting.

There were also a couple of snow sculptures of characters:

We filled out our forms and then made our way to the snack table where we could get a mickey-shaped rice krispie treats and some punch. We then deposited our raffles in a box and took in the scene. While we were watching the dance floor, Goofy came out to dance!

DD perked up, and when the conga line started, DW and DD were in it!

DD loves crafts, so we headed to that corner next. DW got her situated at the table, where she could color and glue together Christmas ornaments.

While they did that, I walked over and got on line for the character greeting. When I got on line, Mickey and Minnie were out, but when I got closer, Mickey and Minnie left, and Chip and Dale came out. This was when DW and DD joined me on line, and we got our picture with Chip and Dale.

The way it was working was that every 30 minutes they switched. So at 4pm, Mickey and Minnie would be back out. So, if we were still there, maybe we could try again. We were back near the dance floor and now Pluto had come out to dance. DD was once again shaking her groove-thing. I have no pictures of this because...

I took a look at my phone and saw I missed the call from the Dr.!

It was loud inside with the music and people, so I had never heard it ring. I left DW and DD and stepped outside to check the message. The message just asked me to call them, so that's what I did. The receptionist told me that the answer was “No.” The doctor would not prescribe anything without seeing DD, so that meant we’d have to take her to Centra Care. It was disappointing, but I can understand the doctor’s decision. It wasn’t what we wanted to do, but we had to get DD checked out… so I went back inside to break the news to DW.

Back inside, DD was having fun. We decided to let her enjoy herself some more before leaving for Centra Care. It was getting close to 4pm, so I got back on line for the character greeting so we could get a picture with Mickey and Minnie.

Beverly!! this one was out of focus. Note to self: put camera back in auto focus before handing to someone else to take a picture, even if that person is supposed to be a professional.

I got my camera back and was able to snap off a couple more shots as DD said goodbye to Mickey and Minnie.

With only about a half an hour or so left in the mixer, we hung out until the end. We took turns dancing with DD on the dance floor.

DD and I got to do the Cupid Shuffle.

DW and DD did the...

Chicken Dance

The YMCA...

and ANOTHER conga line

We were still there when they announced the raffle winners. We didn’t win anything. Before we left, we checked out the Pins and bought a pin that was only available there. On our way out the CMs handed us a gift. It was a DVC Christmas ornament.

It was 5 o’clock and we were heading back to the GF and our car so we could take DD to Centra Care. Our dinner reservation was for 7:20, so it appeared we would probably miss that. So we tried to figure out what to do about dinner since we were already hungry. (All we had for lunch was rice krispie treats and punch!)

Well, pushing our luck had worked up until this point… what if we stopped off at 1900 Park Fare and asked about changing our reservation?? We were getting off the monorail at GF anyway because that’s where we were parked. It couldn’t hurt to ask, right?

The CM at the podium outside the restaurant was very nice. He listened as I explained our dilemma. I asked if they had any tables open. The CM told me he thought he could do something, so he asked us to wait and not more than 10 minutes later, we were on our way inside!

This was the picture they took before we went in. It came with a pop-up frame.

I couldn’t believe our luck! Now we could eat. This was another buffet-style meal. I particularly enjoyed the chicken marsala. While we were eating, DD had some visitors.

I liked that we got to see cinderella's wicked step-mother and step-sisters, because you don't normally see them in the parks. Those three really played their parts well. It made for a good atmosphere with the step-sisters yelling at each other across the room and their step-mother scolding them. We're still not sure exactly how Ariel got put into that mix... but Ariel is one of DD's favorites!! So she wasn't complaining!! (I don't know if there's anywhere else you can see the human version of Ariel, now that I think about it)

Overall all, I think this is a good character dinner for girls. I am not sure how it would go over with the little boys. But, hey, you never know!

Afterwards, we finally were on our way to Centra Care. I'm serious. We're actually going this time.

It didn't take too long to get there. It is located on rt. 535, on the other side of that non-disney hotel complex across the street from DTD. Which means we were close to SSR.

We waited for a while at the walk-in. DD sat on my lap, but would jump down every minute or so to walk across the waiting room to get a tissue. She must have down this 20 times. Finally, her name was called and we went in. They checked her out and confirmed the ear infection, for which the doc prescribed an antibiotic. We also informed the doctor of her history of colds settling in her chest, and her bout with pneumonia. He also prescribed us an inhaler, just in case we needed it. I think we spent about 2 hours @ Centra Care.

After that, it was off to the 24 hour pharmacy to get the prescription filled. Remember how close we were to SSR? Well, the pharmacy wasn't. It was a good 15-20 minute drive. They had a problem with our insurance, which made things difficult. I got fed up and just paid full price for the meds so we could get going. By 11pm, we had the medicine in hand and were on our way back to SSR.

All things considered, I think we had a pretty good day. The mixer was definitely the unexpected surprise. We all had a good time, and we felt better now that DD would be on an antibiotic for her ear. The end of day 2 was upon us. We really needed to get some sleep this night because tomorrow was...

New Year's Eve at The Magic Kingdom!!

DISDad #644

Last edited by baseballmickey; 07-14-2012 at 04:56 AM.
Old 08-20-2011, 01:32 AM   #79
shan23877
I make lists about my lists

Oh that poor little girl! Looks like she's having fun anyway. We loved 1900 Park Fare, but Ariel wasn't there for our dinner- we got Prince Charming instead.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:21 AM   #80
baseballmickey
DDC #644

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan23877 View Post
Oh that poor little girl! Looks like she's having fun anyway. We loved 1900 Park Fare, but Ariel wasn't there for our dinner- we got Prince Charming instead.
Hmmm... I heard that Prince Charming was a germ-a-phobe... maybe that's why we got Ariel??

DISDad #644

Old 08-20-2011, 10:50 AM   #81
CaptainAlex
Mouseketeer

As a fellow New York from the other side of the state (although I spent the 1st 8 years in NYC and then the next 16 in Orange County) I wanted to drop you a line.

Your narrative is one that has brought out every emotion a person can have: frustration (with the snow), fear (with the wrong way winter driving on the belt parkway), apprehension (with DD tugging of her ear and knowing what that means), contentment (The mixer), joy (arriving at WDW) and happiness (your time with your family).

I'm looking forward to reading more!

Past Disney Trips
-June 1989: Hotel Royal Plaza
-July 1989: One day Trip to MK from Port Richie
-August 1989: Holiday Inn (International Drive)
-July 1990: Swan
-June 1993: Port Orleans
-June 1994: Port Orleans
-August 2010: Comfort Suites (International Drive) -Attended Star Wars Celebration
-August 2011: One Week at All Star Music
-August 2012: Embassy Suites (International Drive) -Attended Star Wars Celebration
-February 2013: Art of Animation
Old 08-20-2011, 11:31 AM   #82
baseballmickey
DDC #644

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAlex View Post
As a fellow New York from the other side of the state (although I spent the 1st 8 years in NYC and then the next 16 in Orange County) I wanted to drop you a line.

Your narrative is one that has brought out every emotion a person can have: frustration (with the snow), fear (with the wrong way winter driving on the belt parkway), apprehension (with DD tugging of her ear and knowing what that means), contentment (The mixer), joy (arriving at WDW) and happiness (your time with your family).

I'm looking forward to reading more!
Hello from the other side of NY! Thank you for reading and taking the time to comment.

As I've been writing this, I have been recalling all of these emotional swings we had during the trip. At the time, it seemed to me like we were always shifting gears, from one emotion to another. Looking back on the trip as a whole, I realize that most of those emotions were always present, and whatever was happening at the moment dictated which emotion rose to the top. In some ways, that was good because it allowed us to get quickly out of a funk and into "disney" mode. On the other hand, it also meant that those negative emotions never truly subsided, and we were that much closer to potentially blowing our tops...

DISDad #644

Old 08-20-2011, 11:37 AM   #83
Mouseteacher
Being tagged makes you feel warm and fuzzy!
Now knows the truth
3 tags = perfection

What a wonderful report! I am really enjoying reading it.
Old 08-20-2011, 12:16 PM   #84
sheri18
Mouseketeer

cant wait to read the rest.....your daughter looked "none the worse for wear" as my mom would say.....what a little trooper she is....you and your DW too...
Old 08-20-2011, 12:39 PM   #85
mamaboogie
DIS Veteran

Well done to you all for making the best of your day! You did the right thing.

Your DD looks like she's having lots of fun - despite the ear infection!
Old 08-20-2011, 12:44 PM   #86
Monknmom
DIS Veteran

I am joining in! We live in NY and are going to be driving down this December! I am hoping that we don't get as bad a winter as we had this last year! That was HORRIBLE! Your TR has me saying YAY and Oh my goodness all at once! I am happy that you finally got there and got some stuff for DD to feel better! You have a really happy looking family so far! By now I would bet that your wife had the baby though right? Was it a boy or girl?
Old 08-20-2011, 05:54 PM   #87
amandaw
DIS Veteran

Your DD is quite the little trooper! Sounds like y'all still had a pretty good day, even with DD developing the ear infection. Glad y'all were able to get her checked out & get her meds....without having to miss 1900 Park Fare! I can't wait to hear about NYE at MK!
Old 08-21-2011, 01:27 AM   #88
baseballmickey
DDC #644

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouseteacher View Post
What a wonderful report! I am really enjoying reading it.
Thank you so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri18 View Post
cant wait to read the rest.....your daughter looked "none the worse for wear" as my mom would say.....what a little trooper she is....you and your DW too...
Thank you! I'm not sure where she gets it from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaboogie View Post
Well done to you all for making the best of your day! You did the right thing.

Your DD looks like she's having lots of fun - despite the ear infection!
Thank you! We got some good breaks, I guess. If DD wasn't having fun we wouldn't have pushed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monknmom View Post
I am joining in! We live in NY and are going to be driving down this December! I am hoping that we don't get as bad a winter as we had this last year! That was HORRIBLE! Your TR has me saying YAY and Oh my goodness all at once! I am happy that you finally got there and got some stuff for DD to feel better! You have a really happy looking family so far! By now I would bet that your wife had the baby though right? Was it a boy or girl?
Thanks for reading! I hope you have a much better time driving down than we did. Yes, DW did have the baby back in April. I was keeping it a secret until the end of the report, but then again, my signature gives it away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaw View Post
Your DD is quite the little trooper! Sounds like y'all still had a pretty good day, even with DD developing the ear infection. Glad y'all were able to get her checked out & get her meds....without having to miss 1900 Park Fare! I can't wait to hear about NYE at MK!
Thanks! At this point we were relieved to have the meds, but we also knew that antibiotics take a few days to kick in... so we were hoping she'd be okay for the rest of the trip. Should have the first installment of NYE at MK up soon.

DISDad #644

Old 08-21-2011, 06:51 PM   #89
PoohGal05
DIS Veteran

Your stoory is SO great! Full of suspense and the like. However, I won't get to finish reading any more until we get back, as we are leaving in the morning! I have a 3 year old son and a 62 year old mother who are climbing the walls! It's not even funny that Disney was referenced TWICE in today's sermon at church!
Old 08-22-2011, 11:44 PM   #90
baseballmickey
DDC #644

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoohGal05 View Post
Your stoory is SO great! Full of suspense and the like. However, I won't get to finish reading any more until we get back, as we are leaving in the morning! I have a 3 year old son and a 62 year old mother who are climbing the walls! It's not even funny that Disney was referenced TWICE in today's sermon at church!
Thanks! I hope you have a great trip!

DISDad #644

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: