Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2011, 03:49 PM   #16
baseballmickey
DDC #644

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaz View Post
I'm from NYC too and man do I remember that storm!! Our street wasn't plowed for 5 days and I didn't get mail during that week at all!

Good luck! Can't wait to read more.
Thanks for reading!! I am sure my story is just one of many from that storm. I got some dirty looks from people when I finally returned home and was shoveling my sidewalk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post
im in!!! i remember that storm. one of many. we only got 4 inches. we drive to wdw, theres been a few trips we have left a day early or later to beat the storms in or out of the north east. back in 1986, dw and i were on i81 in virginia and ended up sleeping in the car at whites truck stop one year. ive never seen that much snow in that short of time.we pulled in there and stayed the night in the car. not to bad, we were younger and i guess if your gonna get stranded on the road, being parked 20ft from a gas pump and 50 feet from a dinner. we never tried it again!! now we watch the weather forcast.
Thanks for reading! can't imagine being stuck overnight at a rest stop. wow! good for you that gas and food were close by!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Mo View Post

I'm in!!! This is great!!! thinking this is going to be the next Disney movie!!!
Movie?? hmm... wonder who would play me??? Thanks for reading!!

Numerous Trips as a kid from 1974-1993. WDWCP MK Custodial Spring '94. Off Property, 1995, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001. Land/Sea @ ASMR/Wonder 2002. CBR 2003. POR 2006. Off Property 2007. DVC @ SSR since 2007.. SSR 2008, 2009.. BWV March 2010. SSR December 2010.
BLT/DCL Dream/BCV July/August 2012. AKL/Vero July 2013. runDisney OKW Jan 2014. SSR/Vero/Pop July 2014. runDisney AoA Nov 2014.
DISDad #644
I'm Going Away... FOREVER! Oh, Great! Could You Get Me a Sandwich? A TR Interrupted
My First Trip Report - Escape from New York, Dec 26, 2010 - Jan 1, 2011 - COMPLETED!
Our Disney Blog: "Home is Where the Mouse is"

Treguna Mekoides and Trecorum Satis Dee
Old 08-12-2011, 03:55 PM   #17
amandaw
DIS Veteran

OMG! What a ride! I can't even imagine how terrified you & your wife were. Tracking your route on the GPS & moving money & cards to your socks sounds like something I would do! I'm so glad y'all finally made it to the right hotel. Can't wait to hear what you did next though to try & get to Disney!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-13-2011, 12:51 AM   #18
baseballmickey
DDC #644

Escape from New York, Part 4

The Day After

We got about 5 hours of sleep. We got up and decided to go get breakfast down in the lobby and figure out what to do next. This was the view out our window.

This was not what I expected to see. The roads were pretty clear. The plows had been busy it seemed. (The storm before this one, the NYC response was terrible and the media was all over it, so they were on their game for this storm) I was hopeful. It was a new day, and I was starting to believe we might pull this off after all.

Breakfast was good. I can't tell you what we ate. I just remember sitting at a corner booth in the lobby cafe, eating and listening to other people telling each other their nightmare stories from the night before. The plan was for DW and DD to go back up to the room, change and relax until I returned with the car. Our car was in the airport's long-term parking lot. I needed to get back there, so I inquired at the desk if they were running their usual airport shuttle. I was told it was running and that it was due to be back at the hotel in about a half an hour. So I went back to the room to get a few things and make a call.

In the elevator I met a woman who had also been on her plane when the airport closed. Their plane had been on the tarmac, while ours had never pulled away from the terminal. They had gotten off the plane and left the airport immediately. They didn't even wait for their luggage, which was still on the plane because the cargo doors were frozen shut. In hindsight I would have traded my luggage for a room and a bed as well. I learned my lesson. I wasted time on that stupid line, when we should have prioritized getting to the hotel and just calling the airline. Oh well.

Back in the hotel room, I called DVC to advise them that we wouldn't be checking in until tuesday. I am not sure if it was simply a matter of talking to a different CM this time, or if people had canceled trips due to the storm, but I was able to shift our check-in back to tuesday, AND add a day on the end of our trip, without even having to change rooms. We would now be leaving for home on sunday, instead of saturday. We still lost our points for the day of the storm, but we managed to salvage a bit of our trip, so I was thankful for that.

The shuttle came and a full load of people boarded, myself included, to head back to the airport. It was the last place I wanted to be heading, but it was where I needed to go. The shuttle driver asked us all where we were headed as we got on. I asked him how close he could get me to the long-term parking lot. Not nearly close enough. He only went around to the terminals, and the airport's monorail service, which would normally take me to the parking lot, was still not running. I told him to just get me as close as he could. It looked like I would have to walk the rest of it. I pulled out my phone and surfed for an airport map... the parking lot was a good mile or so from the terminal. In normal conditions, I figured that would be a good 15-20 minute walk. In all this snow, probably twice that... maybe more. It was already noon.

The airport was still closed. the roads were clear, but the parking lots we passed were buried. Most of the people on the shuttle were going back to get their luggage, or to wait for flights later in the day, when the airport was expected to open again. I was the only fool on the shuttle trying to get to the long-term parking lot.

At the last terminal, I was about to get off the shuttle when the driver motioned for me to sit back down. He asked me again where I needed to go. I explained and he listened, shaking his head. He gave a sigh and told me to stay in my seat, and he drove off, heading out of the airport. I thought he was taking me back to the hotel, but instead he turned into some sort of service area for airport vehicles. He came to a stop in front of something resembling a bus stop. He opened the door and wished me luck.

I got out into the cold and was trying to get my bearings when I saw a man in a heavy coat step out of a trailer. He was headed toward me and carrying a walkie-talkie. He walked right up to me and asked "can I help you?" in a very curious tone. I told him I needed to get to long-term parking. He gestured toward the bus stop-looking thing and said "wait there". He got on his radio and called someone, then returned to the warmth of his trailer. The bus-stop thing blocked some of the wind, which was good. I waited for about 10 minutes when a shuttle bus pulled in. I started toward it, but the man-in-the-coat popped out and gestured me back to the bus-stop. He went and spoke to the shuttle driver and then the shuttle left. another 5 minutes had gone by when a van marked "airport maintenance" pulled in. I didn't think it was for me. But the man-in-the-coat came back out and waved for me to come over. He had already spoken to the driver by the time I got there. The door was open, so I climbed in.

The van had two other passengers, beside myself. One got off shortly after I got on. Our driver liked to talk. He was one of those perpetually happy people that always sees the silver lining. His job that day, as he explained was to survey the airport and radio back to his bosses where the trouble areas were so they could allocate resources appropriately. In other words, he was driving around in circles. So it wasn't a bother to him to shuttle around people as well. He even stopped when he saw someone walking along the side of the road to offer him a ride. The guy was disney material, for sure. In a few minutes, he was dropping me off at the long-term parking lot and wishing me luck.

The parking lot had been plowed. But that was actually a bad thing. The aisles were in good shape for the most part, but the plows had actually blocked in all the cars. I found mine, and it looked like this:

I did not have a shovel. I turned back and went to the monorail terminal. I was hoping to find someone there who could help. It was empty. I was heading back out into the cold when I saw a "caution, wet floor" plastic sign near one of the doors. Upon closer inspection, it was a little flimsy, but better than just using my hands, so I um... borrowed it.

Armed with my makeshift shovel, I headed back to the car. On the way, I was flagged down by an elderly woman who was also looking for a shovel. I showed her my sign and told her I hadn't seen anyone else since I was dropped off. She told me her car was buried on the other side of the parking lot where her grandson was trying to dig it out with his hands. I told her I would help as soon as I got my car out.

It was slow going but I was making progress when the woman's grandson appeared. He came to help (and probably to make sure I kept my promise). It was good to have someone to give me a break. He tried a few minutes with my "shovel" and then I went back at it again. Part of the sign broke (oops) but before too long I had the pile low enough where I thought maybe I could drive out.

It took about 5 attempts, but I got the car out and into the aisle. My new friend hopped in and we were on our way to his car when we ran into another obstacle. The end of the aisle was a 4 foot snow bank. My friend started to get out, but i stopped him and reversed. Then it was back into a low gear and straight for the bank... We almost made it through.

So, now I was stuck in a snow bank. My friend took the "shovel" and dug out around the tires a bit. Then I tried again. Still stuck. We did this for a while and then what to our wondering eyes did appear, but a security van. The driver was a woman who stopped, looked us over, shook her head, got out and went to the back of her van, from which she returned carrying a actual SNOW SHOVEL!!

Now that we had the right tool for the job, as Handy Manny would say, we got the car unstuck in just a minute or so. We asked to keep the shovel to use on the other car, and the security officer obliged us, while she went off to find us one of the plows to come by and help. And it's a good thing she did, because that other car was BURIED! The elderly woman was trying to help us, but I talked her into waiting in my car while we dug around their car. It was even slower-going, despite having a real shovel. thankfully, a small plow showed up and did the rest of the work for us. We got the car out and we were all free to go. I was on my way back to the hotel and then on to florida. My new friends were headed to Boston. We returned the shovel, and the sign, and parted ways. Here are some pictures I took on the way back to the hotel.

and I saw an example of how our crazy car ride from the night before could have ended.

It was around 2:30 when I finally made it back to the hotel. We didn't have time for a proper lunch, so we just loaded up on some snacks and hit the road... well, after a bit of a false start. We had some trouble getting out of the hotel parking lot because we couldn't get traction. But eventually we got out and we were on our way...

Boy, it was a tough time, but we were so relieved to finally...

BE ON OUR WAY!

Numerous Trips as a kid from 1974-1993. WDWCP MK Custodial Spring '94. Off Property, 1995, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001. Land/Sea @ ASMR/Wonder 2002. CBR 2003. POR 2006. Off Property 2007. DVC @ SSR since 2007.. SSR 2008, 2009.. BWV March 2010. SSR December 2010.
BLT/DCL Dream/BCV July/August 2012. AKL/Vero July 2013. runDisney OKW Jan 2014. SSR/Vero/Pop July 2014. runDisney AoA Nov 2014.
DISDad #644
I'm Going Away... FOREVER! Oh, Great! Could You Get Me a Sandwich? A TR Interrupted
My First Trip Report - Escape from New York, Dec 26, 2010 - Jan 1, 2011 - COMPLETED!

Last edited by baseballmickey; 09-02-2011 at 01:52 AM. Reason: ETA link to next post
Old 08-13-2011, 03:38 AM   #19
BrdwayBoy
"I know now that theatre saved my life." - S. Stroman.

Subbing in!

Old 08-13-2011, 07:28 AM   #20
disneylovin24
~Let It Go~

Boy what a story!!!

I am so glad that you were able to get your car the next morning after the night in a hotel. I am VERY VERY glad that you got to add a day onto your trip

I can't wait to read more! I cant imagine this trip getting anything but better

I live on Long Island too so I understand (kind of) the burden of leaving in snow. Two years ago my family left in the middle of a snow storm, we were driving but still it took us 3 hours to get from the LIE to Staten Island on the BQE It was horrible! Not as bad as what you had to endure though. That same year coming home we hit a storm and ended up having to take service roads all the way home because they closed the LIE. Last year me and my dad were driving while my mom and aunt were flying when a big storm was suppossed to hit. Me and my dad ended up leaving 2 days early to make sure we got out and we still just missed the storm! It was coming from the south and we encountered alittle snow in DC but thankfully after that there was no more snow! I remember the week before that trip being so hectic with our travel plans changing a million times. In the end, we were suppossed to leave at 12 on a Tuesday but at 7 taht morning my dad changed it to 9 am, crazy stuff! My mom and aunt were the lucky people the day they left who got on one of the last planes to leave before the airport closed!

Sorry for going on there about all of that on your TR but I know you can relate

Old 08-13-2011, 11:07 AM   #21
baseballmickey
DDC #644

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaw View Post
OMG! What a ride! I can't even imagine how terrified you & your wife were. Tracking your route on the GPS & moving money & cards to your socks sounds like something I would do! I'm so glad y'all finally made it to the right hotel. Can't wait to hear what you did next though to try & get to Disney!
I've always wanted to believe that everyone has irrational thoughts like this go through their head, and that most "normal" people know not to act on them. At that point though, I wasn't able to tell the difference.

things are looking up in the story about now though. we're finally on the road and heading toward our vacation!

DISDad #644

Old 08-13-2011, 11:14 AM   #22
baseballmickey
DDC #644

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrdwayBoy View Post
Subbing in!
Thanks for reading!! you timed it just right, the snowstorm is over. Next Stop, WDW!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneylovin24 View Post
Boy what a story!!!

I am so glad that you were able to get your car the next morning after the night in a hotel. I am VERY VERY glad that you got to add a day onto your trip

Thanks for reading! I was very glad to get that extra day too. Driving meant wasting 4 days on travel (2 there, 2 back). That extra day was HUGE! and we also both called out of work for that following monday. (well, we hadn't done that at this part of the story, but we will realize we need to at some point.)

Quote:
I can't wait to read more! I cant imagine this trip getting anything but better

you'd think so, right? Well, the scary part should be over!

Quote:
I live on Long Island too so I understand (kind of) the burden of leaving in snow. Two years ago my family left in the middle of a snow storm, we were driving but still it took us 3 hours to get from the LIE to Staten Island on the BQE It was horrible! Not as bad as what you had to endure though. That same year coming home we hit a storm and ended up having to take service roads all the way home because they closed the LIE. Last year me and my dad were driving while my mom and aunt were flying when a big storm was suppossed to hit. Me and my dad ended up leaving 2 days early to make sure we got out and we still just missed the storm! It was coming from the south and we encountered alittle snow in DC but thankfully after that there was no more snow! I remember the week before that trip being so hectic with our travel plans changing a million times. In the end, we were suppossed to leave at 12 on a Tuesday but at 7 taht morning my dad changed it to 9 am, crazy stuff! My mom and aunt were the lucky people the day they left who got on one of the last planes to leave before the airport closed!

Sorry for going on there about all of that on your TR but I know you can relate
I can SOOOOO relate!!

DISDad #644

Last edited by baseballmickey; 08-13-2011 at 11:15 AM. Reason: ETA
Old 08-13-2011, 12:19 PM   #23
amandaw
DIS Veteran

Great update! I'm so glad you were able to get your car & pick up your family to get going. Sounds like you were able to find some handy helpers at the airport! Hope it's smooth sailing from here on out for y'all!
Old 08-13-2011, 12:29 PM   #24
Señor DonDuck
DIS Veteran

That is one crazy start to your trip! I can't wait to hear what happens next.
Old 08-13-2011, 03:39 PM   #25
baseballmickey
DDC #644

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaw View Post
Great update! I'm so glad you were able to get your car & pick up your family to get going. Sounds like you were able to find some handy helpers at the airport! Hope it's smooth sailing from here on out for y'all!
It was great to get that help! and I was glad I was able to help out someone else in need as well. Yes, it would have been nice to have been on the road earlier in the day with such a long ride ahead. But our vacation had been delayed a few days at this point, so what's a few more hours on top of that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Señor DonDuck View Post
That is one crazy start to your trip! I can't wait to hear what happens next.
Well, stay tuned. I am heading home from work now, and with tomorrow off, I should be able to get some more updates posted! Thanks for reading!!

DISDad #644

Old 08-13-2011, 04:39 PM   #26
FosterA
DIS Veteran

great report so far!
yikes!! I'm impressed that you just keep on diggin' (literally)!
right now we're roasting in TX and I haven't seen snow in 15 years and sometimes I'm sad about that. But...now after reading your report, I'm glad I don't live in a snowy area again! Thanks for reminding me.

Can't wait to read more!
Old 08-13-2011, 09:05 PM   #27
baseballmickey
DDC #644

Quote:
Originally Posted by FosterA View Post
great report so far!
yikes!! I'm impressed that you just keep on diggin' (literally)!
right now we're roasting in TX and I haven't seen snow in 15 years and sometimes I'm sad about that. But...now after reading your report, I'm glad I don't live in a snowy area again! Thanks for reminding me.

Can't wait to read more!
Thanks for reading! I could live without any snow this winter. But no snow, forever?? nah... I need a little of the fluffy white stuff every now and then. I just wish we could figure out a way to schedule it!

I see you are taking the family to WDW for the first time! How exciting!!

DISDad #644

Old 08-13-2011, 09:34 PM   #28
Chicago Mo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballmickey View Post
Thanks for reading! I could live without any snow this winter. But no snow, forever?? nah... I need a little of the fluffy white stuff every now and then. I just wish we could figure out a way to schedule it!

I see you are taking the family to WDW for the first time! How exciting!!
i agree! snow is a must. Chicago was hit pretty hard as well. blocked in our homes for a day or so. OK going back to being quiet and reading.. i can imagine Disney making a movie about a family's desperate voyage to get to Disney! with the magic of Disney on the family's side!

Old 08-14-2011, 03:38 AM   #29
shan23877
I make lists about my lists

joining in! What a terrible start to a vacation, but a GREAT start to a TR. I'm hooked! Plus, I love your member name. Bit of a baseball geek myself
Old 08-14-2011, 09:25 AM   #30
PoohGal05
DIS Veteran

Oh my goodness! WHAT a way to start your vacation! I can relate to the snow thing, living in Oklahoma, but not necessarily trying to get to out of an airport, then back in, then OUT of the same airport! GoodNESS! Waiting to read the next installment!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: