Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2011, 10:15 PM   #1
dapod423
Mouseketeer

Swim diapers in the pools. Enforced? Or not?

Hi All! So I have a SIL. You know, you all have that one person who nickel and dimes everything and complains about how much she spends on the vacation and if she doesn't get to enjoy EVERYTHING then she makes it feel like it's your fault? YES that's my SIL.

Anyway...... Here is my question. How strict are the CM at the pools about the "No Swim Diapers" rule??? My niece will be 2 when we sail and to quote the text I just received SIL will "be *** ******" if they can't all swim together.

Any info you guys can offer is greatly appreciated. Part of me wants the answer to be "VERY STRICTLY ENFORCED" so I can tell her and she cancels the cruise. Wishful thinking on my part.

On the brighter side it's less than 50 days till I cruise!!!!!
9/87- Off-site, 3/02- Off-site, 10/03-Port Orleans Riverside, 4/06- Grand Floridian, 5/10- Port Orleans French Quarter, 9/10- Saratoga Springs (1st trip as DVC Member), 10/10- DCL Wonder, 10/10- Animal Kingdom Villas Jambo House, 5/11- Pop Century, 10/11-DCL Magic/ Animal Kingdom Villas Kidani Village, 1/12- Animal Kingdom Villas Jambo House, Saratoga Springs 6/12, 10/12- DCL Dream/Villas at Wilderness Lodge, 12/12- Animal Kingdom Villas Jambo House, 4/13- Animal Kingdom Villas Kidani Village
dapod423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:18 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapod423 View Post
Hi All! So I have a SIL. You know, you all have that one person who nickel and dimes everything and complains about how much she spends on the vacation and if she doesn't get to enjoy EVERYTHING then she makes it feel like it's your fault? YES that's my SIL.

Anyway...... Here is my question. How strict are the CM at the pools about the "No Swim Diapers" rule??? My niece will be 2 when we sail and to quote the text I just received SIL will be **** if they can't all swim together.

Any info you guys can offer is greatly appreciated. Part of me wants the answer to be "VERY STRICTLY ENFORCED" so I can tell her and she cancels the cruise. Wishful thinking on my part.

On the brighter side it's less than 50 days till I cruise!!!!!
Yes, it is enforced - no diapers (of any name) in the pools.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-11-2011, 10:21 PM   #3
lmb
DIS Veteran

There were several accidents and the pools were closed when we were on our last cruise. I couldn't help thinking if it was people trying to get past the rules and putting kids in the pool in swim diapers....anyway, they did enforce it sometimes and other times they didn't. I guess it depends on what cast members are working. There is a splash area for the little ones that my DS went in when he was in swimmies. He didn't like that he couldn't go in the mickey pool but we told him that was the rule.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:40 PM   #4
extechie rbd/wdt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmb View Post
He didn't like that he couldn't go in the mickey pool but we told him that was the rule.
lmb, good on you, and you have started the very hard lession you DS will have to live with for the rest of his life, Rules and Laws are there and you should abide by them!

I see three options here,

Option 1: The rules are enforced and if a violator is seen or the water is contaminated it will be shut down for hours to drain clean and refill.

Option 2: Tell her that is her kid contaminates the pool then it will be shut down and everyone else that would like to use the pool will suffer. Grow up and deal with the rules or don't cruise!

Option 3: Controversial I know....... but if she is that "way inclined" and let's her kid in the Mickey pool in a swim diaper, then report it to a CM and tell them that it the child has "contaminated" it now.
They "should" then evacuate the pool, drain it, clean it, and the refill it over the next few hours.
But if she p*sses and complains about it, you can always say "I heard another guest complaining about you not following the rules and took a child in a swim diaper in there against DCL rules, or my comment would have to be, "You only have yourself to blame and thanks for spoiling the pool for everyone else!"

It's not just cleaning the pool, the water filtration system need's to be flushed with chemicals as well.

DCL are only following USPH guidelines and have to adhere to them or get the ship shut down when they do their regular inspections.

Ex Techie

Last edited by extechie rbd/wdt; 08-11-2011 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Bad Quote
extechie rbd/wdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:41 PM   #5
1 Minnie & 3 Mickeys
Mouseketeer

Wait I am confused...kids are not allowed to wear swim diapers??? Don't you normally put them on kids that are not potty trained to prevent pool accidents? So kids that are not potty trained are not allowed to swim in the pools?
Saratoga Springs Resort July 2006
Saratoga Springs Resort February 2007
Boardwalk Villas September 2007
Old Key West Resort September 2009
Hilton Head Island Resort June 2010
Saratoga Springs Resort September 2010

Beach Club Villas July 2011
Disney Dream November 2011
Disney Swan April 2012
Art of Animation January 2014
Vero Beach Resort July 2014
1 Minnie & 3 Mickeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:46 PM   #6
extechie rbd/wdt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 Minnie & 3 Mickeys View Post
Wait I am confused...kids are not allowed to wear swim diapers??? Don't you normally put them on kids that are not potty trained to prevent pool accidents? So kids that are not potty trained are not allowed to swim in the pools?
Correct, USPH regulations for ALL US based Cruise Ship's.

From the DCL webpage:
Young Children at Mickey's Pool
The United States Public Health Service requires that only children who are toilet trained be permitted to enter swimming pools onboard cruise ships. Children under 3 years of age who are not toilet trained can make waves at the Splash Zone next to Mickey's Pool. This special play area has been designed exclusively for the enjoyment of children wearing swim diapers.

Ex Techie
extechie rbd/wdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:47 PM   #7
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:

Are you under the impression that swim diapers keep everything in?

Last edited by mesaboy2; 08-11-2011 at 10:55 PM.
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:48 PM   #8
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
You got it--kids who are not potty trained are not allowed to swim in the pools. There is a "splash area" where they can play in water in their diapers.

I'm with the previous posters--we saw the Mickey pool closed on at least 3 occasions on our last cruise when one person's selfishness/refusal to follow rules ruined the fun for all the younger kids.

As ex-techie said, these are US public health service rules, not DCL rules.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:59 PM   #9
WebmasterKathy

Not Podcast Kathy, I'm the other one
Bring on the tequila and chocolates!

DISboards Administrator

I've seen swim diapers referred to as "fecal teabags."

And the others are correct- non potty trained children are not permitted in pools on ANY U.S. based cruiselines. They take disease prevention very seriously. Noro viruses cost cruise lines lots of $$$, and ruin the vacations of many cruisers.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:05 PM   #10
1 Minnie & 3 Mickeys
Mouseketeer

I am just so used to reading all of the signs that say that children are REQUIRED to wear swim diapers in the pools...including at WDW. When I popped into this thread I thought the issue was people refusing to put a swim diaper on their child. Thankfully all of mine are potty trained!!
Saratoga Springs Resort July 2006
Saratoga Springs Resort February 2007
Boardwalk Villas September 2007
Old Key West Resort September 2009
Hilton Head Island Resort June 2010
Saratoga Springs Resort September 2010

Beach Club Villas July 2011
Disney Dream November 2011
Disney Swan April 2012
Art of Animation January 2014
Vero Beach Resort July 2014
1 Minnie & 3 Mickeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:07 PM   #11
stargazertechie
Toy Story Midway Maniac

Quote:
Correct- while urine is (usually) sterile, we all know that fecal matter is not. And swim diapers are nothing more than fecal tea bags on your special snowflake's bum.

Norovirus is a huge issue on cruise ships, and with 2000+ people in close quarters, you can imagine how quickly illness spreads.

If they're not FULLY potty trained, they have no business being in the pool.

Upcoming trip- WDW Trip #14. BCV. 6/13.

Thinking about buying pins from ebay and getting into pin trading? PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
stargazertechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:12 PM   #12
dapod423
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone. You gave me great information!
9/87- Off-site, 3/02- Off-site, 10/03-Port Orleans Riverside, 4/06- Grand Floridian, 5/10- Port Orleans French Quarter, 9/10- Saratoga Springs (1st trip as DVC Member), 10/10- DCL Wonder, 10/10- Animal Kingdom Villas Jambo House, 5/11- Pop Century, 10/11-DCL Magic/ Animal Kingdom Villas Kidani Village, 1/12- Animal Kingdom Villas Jambo House, Saratoga Springs 6/12, 10/12- DCL Dream/Villas at Wilderness Lodge, 12/12- Animal Kingdom Villas Jambo House, 4/13- Animal Kingdom Villas Kidani Village
dapod423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:20 PM   #13
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

The CMs enforce it when they see it and guests, including myself, are not shy about allerting CMs when a child who is obviously too young to be PTd is in the pool. The CMs will tell the parent that the child is not allowed in the pool. The splash area that they have now is much nicer than what it used to be with just one of the ears.

I don't know where your SIL thinks that they will all be able to "swim together". A little one that size does not belong in the Goofy Pool and will definitely be reported to the CMs. The Mickey pool has a maximum depth of 18 inches. I don't know of any adults that would willingly "swim" in that, considering what else is in the water. The pools onboard aren't really pools that anyone can do anything defined by most as "swimming". You basically sit/stand in the water to cool off. Tell your SIL they will be able to swim together at CC.

Tell your sister that this is not a DCL rule. It is the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention [CDC] Vessel Sanitation Rules that restrict swim diapers from pools on cruise ships. DCL actually received an exception to that rule with their splash area. There used to be only 3 ships [including the Magic and Wonder] who had this. Now there are a few more.

http://wwwn.cdc.gov/InspectionQueryT...4ihXAsTJceI%3d

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:22 PM   #14
TXDCLfan
Other cruise lines did it first, Disney did it right!

Tell her that if she does not put her kid in a swim diaper that you are going to post her sail date and room # so that when her kid closes down the pool everyone can go by and thank her for her consideration
TXDCLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:45 PM   #15
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXDCLfan View Post
Tell her that if she does not put her kid in a swim diaper that you are going to post her sail date and room # so that when her kid closes down the pool everyone can go by and thank her for her consideration
You uh, might want to reread the thread. The idea is that the kid has no business in the pool with or without a swim diaper.
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: