Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Disneyland Paris Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2011, 07:38 AM   #1
Pooh's Bear
Earning My Ears

Thumbs up Big girl's guide to the parks

First of all, I would like to say a massive thanks to all the 'Pooh Sized' members of the forums who shared their ride experiences on here. Without their honest reviews, I would have never dared to attempt all the rides that I did with such confidence, knowing that all being well, I should fit. I've lost count of the number of times I haven't tried something because I would be afraid I'd be asked to get off, wouldn't fit, etc. Anyway, these posters gave me confidence, and hopefully I can do the same for others

Okay. I'm 5 foot 8", so pretty tall. I weigh 19 stone 10lbs (276lbs), I am at a Slimming Club and have lost 2 and a half stone so far (was 22 stone 4lbs when I started - 312lbs). So have lost 36lbs. I think even without this weight loss, I would have still fit on a lot of rides!

I'm currently a UK size 22/24.

So I went on Space Mountain and I sat down and found there was room to spare. The over the head restraints fitted with no problem at all and I was comfortable and able to get in & out of the ride quite easily. Buzz Lightyear's laser Blast & The Phantom Manor were easy, you sit in a carriage for 2, a bar comes down and that's it. Tons of space, no problem. We did Peter Pan's flight and this is a little ship that is suspended on a rail from the ceiling. Again, no problems whatsoever. I rode Indiana Jones & the Temple of Peril, Big Thunder Mountain, Star Tours and not only did I fit just fine in everything, there was room to spare. Could not believe it! I was so happy! So please - don't worry. I feel someone bigger than me could fit in there without any problems at all.

I was dreading It's a small world. I'd gone on Charlie & the Chocolate Factory at Alton Towers and as the boat came off the rail to float, it had tipped and dipped because I was at the back and some parents turned around to see what has caused it. I scooted to the middle and the boat balanced but I was mortified and bright red in the face and it really bothered me. I thought It's a small world might be similar. Nope! They put me & my husband in one row and if anything, the boat tipped a little down the other way! The boats are sturdy, safe and don't sink into the water too much.

We had so much fun and it continued the next day in Walt Disney Studios. I rode the Aerosmith Rock & Roll coaster, Twilight zone Tower Of Terror - all easily, all comfortable fits. You wear a seatbelt in the Tower of Terror and it fits without any problem. If anything, smaller people need to pull the yellow tab to bring the seatbelt in comfortably.

We were going to try Crush's coaster but I watched the ride come out and to be honest, even regular sized people seemed to be struggling in the seats, plus the queue time was 40 minutes so we gave that one a miss.

All in all - Disneyland Paris is bigger people friendly. Nothing is an issue really, just a few turn styles which I had to go through sideways - no biggie - I saw other people doing that too.

So if you are Pooh sized, go, have fun and don't look back or let anything hold you back!!!

Lisa
xxx

Disneyland Paris 1994, DisneyWorld Resort 2002, 2004 & 2006, Hollywood Studios & DisneyWorld Christmas 2009, Disneyland California March 2010, Disneyland Paris March 2011, Disneyland & California Adventure October 2011, Disneyland Paris November 2012
To come : Disneyworld Resort November 2014
http://magicalkingdomofwalt.wordpress.com/
Pooh's Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 07:43 AM   #2
disney_princess_85
Liked the sky effect
If we feel like having pop tarts for breakfast we can

How nice of you to write this guide. I'm sure it will be really helpful to lots of people.
January 2002- Disneyland Paris, Sequoia Lodge, October 2007- Disneyland Paris, Newport Bay Club, May 2008- Walt Disney World, Pop Century/Universal Studios, Royal Pacific Resort, January 2009- Disneyland Paris, Holiday Inn, March 2009- Disneyland Paris, Sequoia Lodge, May 2009- Disneyland Paris, Magic Circus, September 2009- Walt Disney World, Coronado Springs/Universal Studios, Hard Rock Hotel Club Level, November 2009- Disneyland Paris, Hotel Cheyenne, February 2010- Disneyland Paris, Magic Circus, May 2010- Disneyland Paris, Magic Circus, August-September 2010- Walt Disney World, Saratoga Springs/Universal Studios, Royal Pacific Resort Club Level, October 2010- Disneyland Paris, Magic Circus, December 2010-January 2011- Disneyland Paris, Magic Circus, September 2011- Walt Disney World, POFQ/Disney Dream/Walt Disney World, Saratoga Springs, October 2012- Walt Disney World, Pop Century/Disney Dream/Walt Disney World, Wilderness Lodge, February 2013- Disneyland Paris, Hotel Cheyenne, October 2013- Walt Disney World, Old Key West, Animal Kingdom Lodge, May 2014- Disneyland, Paradise Pier

Lauren
disney_princess_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-18-2011, 07:47 AM   #3
davewasbaloo
DIS Veteran

Well done on the weight loss. I do want to add just a couple of more points as a guy who is 6ft2, and at my worst was 25st (currently in losing mode at 21 st).

I do fit on Crush, but it is squeeze, same with Cars. I carry my weight all over, so I imagine someone that carried it up front would struggle. I have seen others turned away from these two. forget about trying RC Racer, even if I lost weight I am too tall and broad in the shoulders.

But I can ride everything else at DLP more comfortably (although there is not much leg room on Indy).

I can ride every single ride at Walt Disney World and almost everything at Disneyland in California (not the Silly Symphony Swings or what will be Goofy' Sky School).

But yes, Disney is the most inclusive of the parks, there are many things I cannot ride in other parks around the globe.

Glad you had a great time.

davewasbaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 07:58 AM   #4
Pooh's Bear
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney_princess_85 View Post
How nice of you to write this guide. I'm sure it will be really helpful to lots of people.
I hope so, because reading other people's comments on here helped me so much!

Disneyland Paris 1994, DisneyWorld Resort 2002, 2004 & 2006, Hollywood Studios & DisneyWorld Christmas 2009, Disneyland California March 2010, Disneyland Paris March 2011, Disneyland & California Adventure October 2011, Disneyland Paris November 2012
Old 03-18-2011, 08:01 AM   #5
Pooh's Bear
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by davewasbaloo View Post
Well done on the weight loss. I do want to add just a couple of more points as a guy who is 6ft2, and at my worst was 25st (currently in losing mode at 21 st).
wow, well done on your weight loss - 4 stone is outstanding!!!

I do tend to carry my weight 'up front' and I didn't think that the bar that comes up on the Crush ride would be favourable to me....hey, I might be wrong but I didn't want to chance it. Crush & RC Racer are the only ones I heard might be problematic so I just stuck to the other rides and was pleased with everything and being able to get on them all. Took the stress & worry out of the whole day!

Old 03-18-2011, 01:40 PM   #6
Ware Bears

Elvis Fan
Fridge Magnet hoarder

DISboards Moderator

How kind of you to write this and well done on the loss (and you too, Dave)
WDW Holiday Inn Nikki Bird Easter 2004 DLP Explorers August 2005 DLP Explorers Christmas 2005 DLP Explorers August 2006 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Grand Plaza, St Pete Beach Easter 2007 DLP Explorers Halloween 2007 DLP Explorers August 2008 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Disney Wonder Bahamas/Yacht Club Christmas 2009 New Year 2010 DLP Disneyland Hotel May 2011 DLP Newport Bay Club August 2012 DCL Disney Wonder Alaska DL Candy Cane Inn August 2013
Moderator Disneyland Paris
Ware Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 04:32 PM   #7
gracieclaire
Mouseketeer

Thank you for this post it has certainly helped me i asked the question very recently about larger people fitting in rides and dave reasured me then . so well done
Old 03-19-2011, 10:06 AM   #8
Pooh's Bear
Earning My Ears

Thanks all

If I hadn't been reassured by so many people on here I don't think I would have attempted anything. In 2009 I went to Disney in Orlando and only dared do Buzz Lightyear's Laser Blast & The Haunted Mansion. That was it!

After reading on here that people my size and larger managed all the rides, I just thought right - I'm going to go for it. I was pleasantly surprised and had such a laugh and so much fun because of it.

Twilight Zone Tower of Terror was the stand out thrill ride for me. Great fun!

Old 03-19-2011, 12:00 PM   #9
davewasbaloo
DIS Veteran

You will have a blast in California now!

Old 03-19-2011, 06:26 PM   #10
amyja89
Earning My Ears

Thanks for this.

So what exactly is it about Crush's Coaster that makes it so 'pooh-sized' unfriendly? And RC Racer for that matter?
DLRP – 2002 – Golf Hotel / DLRP – 2003 – Kyriad Hotel / DLRP – 2004 – Mercure Hotel / WDW – 2005 – Hilton Grand Vacations Suites / DLRC – 2006 – Staybridge Suites / DLRP – 2011 - Sequoia Lodge / DLRP - 2012 - Disneyland Hotel

amyja89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 06:44 PM   #11
davewasbaloo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyja89 View Post
Thanks for this.

So what exactly is it about Crush's Coaster that makes it so 'pooh-sized' unfriendly? And RC Racer for that matter?
Crush Coaster has a bar that goes between your legs and clicks on your belly. It must have at least 2 clicks to be safe, and as there were 3 fatalities on similar coasters last year, it is something not to be toyed with. If the clicks do not go in place, they will not let you ride. And to make it safe enough for kids, sadly bigger people suffer.

RC Racer is just stupid. You have to be at least 1.2m to ride, but if you are too tall or fat, forget it. There is an over the shoulder system with a belt that comes between your leg to connect with the restraint.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:28 AM   #12
Pooh's Bear
Earning My Ears

Quote:
You will have a blast in California now!
I know!! And in a few months too!

When I lose more weight, I eventually do want to attempt Crush's coaster.

x

Old 08-15-2011, 06:24 AM   #13
tinkerbell1991
Mouseketeer

I love that you tried more rides than usual, well done you !

When I went back in 2007, crushes coaster had just opened and I was about a size 14 then.
I'm now a 16/18 and trying to loose weight so hoping I MAY have the guts to try and get on it but I think I will be so humiliated if I'm too big.
I didn't feel like it was tight at all when I last went so hoping if I manage to get to a 16, it wont be too bad

tinkerbell1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:20 AM   #14
nightrider68
Mouseketeer

Quote:
RC Racer is just stupid. You have to be at least 1.2m to ride, but if you are too tall or fat, forget it. There is an over the shoulder system with a belt that comes between your leg to connect with the restraint.
At 6ft 3 and 19st, I tried RC Racer and had to remove my coat and still squash my shoulders down to get the overhead brace in place

This might seem fine riding RC Racer in a t-shirt but it was in December and the temperature was at 0c

HNY - Dec 2004 / Dec 2005
DLH - Mar 2007 / Jan 2014
DCR - Oct 2007 / Mar 2008
Marriott - Oct 2008 / Dec 2008 / Feb 2009 / Mar 2010 / Dec 2010 / Aug 2011 / Dec 2011
Residence Home Business - Apr 2009 / Oct 2009 / Dec 2009
Residhome Prestige Val Europe Hotel - Oct 2010 / Apr 2011 / Apr 2012
Domaine de la Brie - Aug 2012
nightrider68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:03 AM   #15
emanlu
Mouseketeer

I am another big person (although not as big as I was the last time I was at DLP) and usually will give anything a go - crush has never been an option as I don't like the look of it and the kids arent keen - didnt give RC Racer a go the last time we were there but may try it when we go back (whenever that may be) - I have lost over 4 stone since Jan and have gone from a size 24 to a 16/18 - will be good to go back and be able to be comfortable on a plane seat as well!

Me DD 10 DD 9 DS 7
emanlu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigger riders, large riders, pooh sized

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: