Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2011, 12:18 PM   #1
disneygal6568
making dreams come true

Talking How did YOU tell your kids you were going to Disney World???

I told my kids by making them play a 1 day version of the popular game show Survivor, and In the end went on a treasure hunt for a box. In the box was customized maps from the Disney website. How did you tell your kids that you were going to Disney???

Keep the Magic Alive!
disneygal6568 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:25 PM   #2
bosuch
Mouseketeer

We haven't told them yet, we figure they'll start to clue in about the time we're getting on the plane...

Bill
Register to remove

Old 08-11-2011, 12:29 PM   #3
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

Most trips they know ahead of time. They are old enough now they are involved in the planning. Only during the 2nd trip did we make it special.

It was my son's Kindergarten graduation, and we made a photo book telling the story of his year in school. It talked about how he worked hard and had fun, and the last page was "and after he was all done, he, his sister, and his parents went to Disney World!"

We gave it to him to read on his last day of school, they got to the last page with big eyes and asked "When?" We said "Right now, get in the car."

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:30 PM   #4
sarmat1
Mouseketeer

We're leaving in 12 days, and we haven't yet. Better add that to my Disney planning list . . . .
sarmat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 03:25 PM   #5
disneygal6568
making dreams come true

Quote:
We're leaving in 12 days, and we haven't yet. Better add that to my Disney planning list . . . .
Just don't tell them! When youhop on the plane or go into the car, make them guess!

Keep the Magic Alive!
Old 08-11-2011, 03:32 PM   #6
mshoo1
Mouseketeer

We broke the news to my daughter at the National Symphony Orchestra Disney concert we attended last week at Wolf Trap. It seemed like a perfect lead-in to the big news. We leave for vacation on Saturday.
mshoo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 04:26 PM   #7
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

To my kids, anticipation was half the fun. Planning what they would wear, what they would do, where they wanted to eat was so every exciting. We always planned the vacations together so they were in on it as soon as we, as parents, had decided to go.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 04:35 PM   #8
pkondz
Hoping to get lucky
Bow-chicka-bow-wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneygal6568 View Post
I told my kids by making them play a 1 day version of the popular game show Survivor, and In the end went on a treasure hunt for a box. In the box was customized maps from the Disney website. How did you tell your kids that you were going to Disney???
Very clever! Never heard that one before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightlessDuck View Post
It was my son's Kindergarten graduation, and we made a photo book telling the story of his year in school. It talked about how he worked hard and had fun, and the last page was "and after he was all done, he, his sister, and his parents went to Disney World!"

We gave it to him to read on his last day of school, they got to the last page with big eyes and asked "When?" We said "Right now, get in the car."
I love that!

Teenage Mutant Backseat Dancers - A Canadian Buffoon Adventure
Canadian Buffoon's Vacation - PTR/mini TR
Canadian Buffoon European Vacation
Just a silly little TR - run away!

1977 - offsite 1987 - offsite 1992 - offsite 2005 - POR (never going offsite again!!!) 2009 - ASMu
pkondz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:01 PM   #9
ProudMommyof2
DIS Veteran

Well this time, I was lucky enough to show them the email that said I won the sweepstakes that is paying for our trip!

The last 2 times we told them well in advance and let them help plan and get excited.

1986 Disneyland, 1988 Disneyland, August 1991- WDW Offsite, May 1997- WDW Offsite, May 2007- Wilderness Lodge, May 2009- BCV & AKV, August 2011- Poly & AKV, April 2013- WBC- Universal & WDW, July 2013 Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort, April 2014- Yacht Club, July 2014 Disney's HHI Resort

ProudMommyof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:01 PM   #10
disneygal6568
making dreams come true

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkondz View Post
Very clever! Never heard that one before.
Thank you! It took 6 months of planning and the kids had NO idea!!!!!! We also had to make things during school hours!

Keep the Magic Alive!
Old 08-11-2011, 05:03 PM   #11
disneygal6568
making dreams come true

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudMommyof2 View Post
Well this time, I was lucky enough to show them the email that said I won the sweepstakes that is paying for our trip!

The last 2 times we told them well in advance and let them help plan and get excited.
What sweepstakes did you win? My DD(12) one the Magic of Healthy Living essay contest and met famous Disney Channel stars!

Keep the Magic Alive!
Old 08-11-2011, 05:42 PM   #12
Wistraveler
Mouse Over

On our last trip it was a double surprize. My daughter and her hubby planned a trip, but didn't tell her boys where they were going. Instead they left brouchures laying around for another destination, mentioning that they were planning a vacation. The boys were convinced they were going somewhere else, until they got on the plane.

Here's the kicker. Her sister and I planned an identical trip unknown to her. I went so far as to have our two reservations linked and adjoining rooms at POR, but when she checked on hers, mine didn't show up. We took them to the airport, boarded her dog, and took a later flight. When they got back from their evening meal at Fultons, we were waiting for them at the pool. The look on their faces was priceless, as she was on the phone with me when she turned the corner.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:02 PM   #13
Caretames1
Mom & Crazed Planner

You have to tell them? I think my DD will figure it out at the airport, if not ,when we go under the Welcome to Disney World sign!
Wake Up! SURPRISE, We're going to Disney World....TODAY Sept 2011 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....9#post42811539
"Momma, I got to dance with Flynn Ryder!" Our January 2011 TR.http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post39775931
First Ever Trip to Disney World 1/23/2009 (POR) 6 days
Back to Disney World 1/21/2011 (POR) 10 days

Shhh! Suprise MNSSHP Trip 9/21/2011 (POP) 5 days
Surprise...AGAIN! 11/1/12 (AoA) 11 days
ME: Carey DH: John DD: Kadence (10) DD: Samantha (20)
Caretames1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:14 PM   #14
ProudMommyof2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneygal6568 View Post
What sweepstakes did you win? My DD(12) one the Magic of Healthy Living essay contest and met famous Disney Channel stars!
It was a Radio Delilah contest. 500 words or less on my favorite Disney Memory!

1986 Disneyland, 1988 Disneyland, August 1991- WDW Offsite, May 1997- WDW Offsite, May 2007- Wilderness Lodge, May 2009- BCV & AKV, August 2011- Poly & AKV, April 2013- WBC- Universal & WDW, July 2013 Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort, April 2014- Yacht Club, July 2014 Disney's HHI Resort

ProudMommyof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:26 PM   #15
Pills
Mouseketeer

This will be the 4th with kids. I wasn't involved much in the planning of the first one, but I think the wife told our older DD (younger was in the oven at the time) when we were planning it. It wasn't too long between planning and going - maybe 6-8 weeks at most. It was essentially the last week DW's ob/gyn allowed her to travel.

The second time, we had diverted them with talk of a trip to DC, which we had actually planned on doing before we had some money come in. Unfortunately, my then DD7 started *really* looking forward to DC, and started talkingabout what monuments she wanted to visit, etc. - I'd gotten her a book on DC when I'd been there on business the previous October. We told them in the car one day about 3 weeks before we went. DD7 didn't believe us until I gave her the specifics of the reservations.

The third time was our planned "younger DD turning 4" trip. On the first trip, which really was for our older DD's 4th birthday, we'd promised her that we'd come back for the younger DD's 4th birthday as well. My parents and brother's family joined us on that one.

This time... again, as has been said, *maybe* when we get to the airport? We're not 100% sure on how we're doing it. I'm actually contemplating doing a PTR about it, as my wife came up with a very innovative way for them to earn rewards throughout the summer which will culminate in the trip. What are they doing? Cleaning the house!

11/13 - POFQ
Pills is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kids, shock, surprises, world

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: