Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2011, 10:01 AM   #1
rantnnravin
Whaddya mean there's no room in the suitcase? YOU CAN LAND A PLANE IN THERE!!

Nebulizer question

I'm wondering if i should bring DD's nebulizer in the verrrrry off chance she has some sort of issue on the cruise. She has always had seasonal croup-y-ness, but her Dr. gave her her own nebulizer this past spring when she got a really bad upper-respiratory thing that lasted a month and they refused to give her meds for - and turned to "slight" pnuemonia
so my question is this: if i bring just the tubing and meds, would she be able to used a nebulizer in the ship's medical center (like i do for her for school)? Would they charge for that, do you think?

rantnnravin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:15 AM   #2
LuvEeyore
DIS Veteran

Probably, they would make u see a nurse practitioner or MD. I being my own so I can do it when Ineed or want to on my schedule.
Riverside-12/1995 , off property 10-1994, Carribean Beach 1/1994, off property 1977
url=http://distickers.com/ticker/][/url]
LuvEeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-11-2011, 10:24 AM   #3
MaleficentRN
DIS Veteran

How often does she use it now? If it's less than once a month, I'd leave it home. That is unless she is getting over an URI when you travel. You may want to ask your MD about using an MDI (inhaler). I don't know how old your DD is, but my DS has used one since he was 3. I've even seen them used on babies.
If you take her to the ship's medical center they are obliged to examine her and yes, you will be charged. But your insurance should reimberse you for a medical emergency.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:32 AM   #4
narsibvl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantnnravin View Post
I'm wondering if i should bring DD's nebulizer in the verrrrry off chance she has some sort of issue on the cruise. She has always had seasonal croup-y-ness, but her Dr. gave her her own nebulizer this past spring when she got a really bad upper-respiratory thing that lasted a month and they refused to give her meds for - and turned to "slight" pnuemonia
so my question is this: if i bring just the tubing and meds, would she be able to used a nebulizer in the ship's medical center (like i do for her for school)? Would they charge for that, do you think?
What kind of a nebulizer is this ? Our DD has infant asthma..and we took the nebulizer with us. We gave her the nebulizer in the room.
narsibvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:37 AM   #5
tinkermama117
Mouseketeer

If your nebulizer is portable enough I would bring it. DD has one and we usually bring it with us on long trips. Wouldn't you know the one time we didn't bring it was the time she needed it. I'm never going to make that mistake again.
1998- First Visit: off property,1999: off property, 2000: off property, 2001: off property, 2002: Land and Sea, All Star Music and Disney Wonder, 2003: Caribbean Beach Resort, 2006: Port Orleans Riverside, 2007: Off property but...then became DVC Members!!! 2008: Saratoga Springs, 2009: Saratoga Springs, 2010 (spring) Boardwalk Villas, 2010 (New Years) Saratoga Springs July 29- Aug 1 2012: BLT, Aug1-Aug 5 Disney Dream, Aug 5- Aug 11: BCV, Summer 2013:AKL and Vero Beach Split
tinkermama117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:29 AM   #6
BWV Dreamin
DIS Veteran

I have asthma. While at Vero Beach, Fla. I got an upper respiratory infection (started as a cold). I didn't have one with me. It was the most miserable trip. I actually ended up in the hospital when we got home.

I now carry an portable nebulizer with the liquid meds for the just in case scenarios. I still bring my inhalers. but when an attack happens, its always at the most inconvenient time. If you don't end up using it, it will have at least given you piece of mind. I say take it!

BWV Dreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:35 AM   #7
rantnnravin

yeah - that's why i'm like "should I? / shouldn't I?" on the one hand, it happens so rarely, it seems superfluous to take it. On the other hand, if she does happen to react to ocean air, or we get a windy/cool tropical storm, it might trigger it and if we don't have it, i'll be kicking myself. Portability wise, it comes in like a lunchbox sized carrier and weighs about 4 lbs

Old 08-11-2011, 11:41 AM   #8
LuvEeyore
DIS Veteran

I carry mine on the airplaine and mine weighs 3 or so lbs. No one ever counts that or the walker or wheelchair we travel with in carryons. I think of it this way, it is far more conveinient to carry my nebulizer on a trip that going to an embergancy room!!
Riverside-12/1995 , off property 10-1994, Carribean Beach 1/1994, off property 1977
url=http://distickers.com/ticker/][/url]
LuvEeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:47 PM   #9
mousetravel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkermama117 View Post
If your nebulizer is portable enough I would bring it. DD has one and we usually bring it with us on long trips. Wouldn't you know the one time we didn't bring it was the time she needed it. I'm never going to make that mistake again.
I agree. My DD has asthma, and out of every cruise we've been on, we haven't had to use it once. But even so, I always take it on trips, because the one time you think you could skip it, is gonna be the time you need it!!

Quote:
yeah - that's why i'm like "should I? / shouldn't I?" on the one hand, it happens so rarely, it seems superfluous to take it. On the other hand, if she does happen to react to ocean air, or we get a windy/cool tropical storm, it might trigger it and if we don't have it, i'll be kicking myself. Portability wise, it comes in like a lunchbox sized carrier and weighs about 4 lbs

As far as the size, my DD has a "portable" one and a travel one. The portable one is kinda the size that you described, and the travel one fits into a medium size camera - type case. Can you get a travel one?

Also, I personally would go ahead and take all the parts so if you need to, you can just hook it up in the room & use it, instead of having to try and get to the ship's medical office. The reason I say this, is, because with my DD, sometimes if she needs to use the nebulizer, she needs it like, NOW, and would have a hard time getting to the medical office, and depending on where you are on the ship, that could be a long walk!!!!!

Hope this helps!
Mom/Daughter PTR: Christmas Trip! 2011 http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post42724982
Mom/Daughter Trip Report June 2011: Disney Dream! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2744972
Mom/Daughter Trip Report: Disney & Sea World 2010
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2443520

Mom/Daughter Trip Report: WDW & Disney Cruise 2009 ttp://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2095302
mousetravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:40 PM   #10
atinkerbellmom
DIS Veteran

Ok, I am going to come and say just the opposite of what others are saying. I say leave it at home, bring your mask and connections along with your amps of Albuterol. I too have the "seasonal croopy" child with SEVERE allergic reactions. In our MANY cruises, I have only traveled with this and know that I can take her to the medical facility on the ship and use there O2 supply/combuster. Actually children like ours do WELL on the cruises, because the weather and climate is "PERFECT". They do so well..... This is one reason we cruise. My DD's skin heals and clears and all of those breathing issues disapear; so to speak..... We it.....

I am a medical professional with a child like yours and I say leave it at home. If you have to take her downstairs, there is not much cost with it if you are not needing the medication piece (I bring everything labled in the sealed foil containers). I even have the pharamacy lable each of my foil packets before we leave. If you have insurance, it is all covered anyway!

So just my opinion!

Thanks, Cheri & Johnna. Thanks Tiny Tink & LtWDWdream. & Thanks Rani
atinkerbellmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:31 AM   #11
kmitchel
DIS Veteran

I had the exact same problem as the OP. My son doesn't "normally" get attacks, but when he does - it's terrible. I went on eBay and found a portable nebulizer and we do bring it on the cruise. My reasoning is that it is not difficult for us to bring it (we live in Florida) and I would much rather give him a treatment in the room than trying to find out if the clinic is open and get him down there for treatment.
kmitchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:57 AM   #12
msabol01
DIS Veteran

We have a portable nebulizer that runs on two AA batteries that we carry on trips for our DS. It's whisper quiet and produces a fine mist. It is a little price but is ultra compact, roughly two cell phones stacked on top of each other. It used to be sold on Amazon for $199, but they don't seem to carry it anymore, but I found similar pricing through a google search. I know it's pricey but well worth it if you travel especially since it is compact enough to carry on excursions or through the parks.

It's the OMRON MicroAir.

msabol01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:52 AM   #13
rantnnravin

if she actually had asthma, this would be a no-brainer.
Her lungs just tighten up when she has been exposed to cool/damp/windy conditions. Up until a few months ago when the Dr. gave her the nebulizer, i used to just run the shower and keep her in there for 15 minutes and run the humidifier at night.
I think i'm over-thinking this

Old 08-12-2011, 08:58 AM   #14
MommaMouse411
Always dreaming of Disney

Quote:
Um I brought my son's nebulizer...and used it the first night in the cabin...but he did fine the whole week...my son had to use the nebulizer EVERYDAY since 3months...

I brought the nebulizer in my carryon..with all the meds.
MommaMouse411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:02 AM   #15
MommaMouse411
Always dreaming of Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by atinkerbellmom View Post
Ok, I am going to come and say just the opposite of what others are saying. I say leave it at home, bring your mask and connections along with your amps of Albuterol. I too have the "seasonal croopy" child with SEVERE allergic reactions. In our MANY cruises, I have only traveled with this and know that I can take her to the medical facility on the ship and use there O2 supply/combuster. Actually children like ours do WELL on the cruises, because the weather and climate is "PERFECT". They do so well..... This is one reason we cruise. My DD's skin heals and clears and all of those breathing issues disapear; so to speak..... We it.....

I am a medical professional with a child like yours and I say leave it at home. If you have to take her downstairs, there is not much cost with it if you are not needing the medication piece (I bring everything labled in the sealed foil containers). I even have the pharamacy lable each of my foil packets before we leave. If you have insurance, it is all covered anyway!

So just my opinion!

I remember being sooo happy that I didn't have to hear any wheezing in my 8month old on the ship...it was such a relief to give him a break...so far he has not had the treatments in 2 months..however mine is small enough to bring in my bookbag...so I will bring it on board with me again just in case.
MommaMouse411 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: