Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2011, 10:24 PM   #16
disneymath
DIS Veteran

We just came back from a DCL Alaskan Cruise which included the ABD add-on. Our ABD trip was small (only 16 people - 5 families). We were a group of 3 adults, all the other families had kids ranging from 9 to 15 or so.

Even though my parents and I enjoy the company of children (I'm a teacher, my mom is childcare provider), we were slightly apprehensive about doing the ABD without any kids. Turns out there was no need to worry ... everyone bonded and got along well.

Sometimes family groups stayed together, somtimes it was more a kids group and an adults group, sometimes it was a mix of adults and kids from different families. (One of my unexpected favourite moments from the trip was watching my mom playing "I Spy" in the Alaska State Museum with one of the pre-teen girls from our ABD group ... they played for at least half an hour!)

I think as long as you are okay with touring with children, you would appreciate all that a regular ABD has to offer. If the thought of interacting with other people's children isn't your cup of tea, then an adults only departure would be a great alternative.

disneymath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:17 PM   #17
Dennie
Earning My Ears

Done four AbD's and have booked our fifth!

Hi,
All the previous posts are full of great info and I hope it has encouraged you to give AbD a try. We've done Viva Italia (adults only, just my husband and I), Ireland (adults only, myself, hubby, daughter-in-law and family friend-would you believe my son didn't want to go?), Wyoming-Yellowstone (family groups, just the 2 of us) and American Southwest (adults only, the 2 of us). We're going to Greece in fall, 2012 with another couple on an adults only AbD.

The accommodations are always the best and it is such a relief to have someone else schlep the luggage!

We've always found a wonderful mix of personalities among the guests, some quieter than others but, with the exception of one particular child, everyone has gotten along and been comfortable just being themselves. The guides make sure no one feels left out while still respecting "personal space". They are amazing!

We have found it very helpful to do some "homework" pre trip to decide whether or not we want to extend our visits to these places and what we would like to experience when we have time on our own. In Italy, we got there a day early (which we highly recommend when traveling to avoid jet lag and starting off exhausted) and saw a museum Disney wasn't visiting. We also knew we wanted to get into the Uffizi gallery in Florence during our free time, and our guide arranged for us to get coveted tickets. In Ireland, we got to Dublin 3 days ahead and saw many things we knew weren't in the AbD itinerary. We even planned ahead for where we wanted grab lunch in Cashel. The Wyoming trip was a last minute decision so we made no special plans but the time in Yellowstone inspired my shutterbug husband to take a photography course that included a winter trip back there. We started the Southwest tour with a few days in the Phoenix area and, while in Sedona, arranged for a private jeep tour and Medicine Wheel ceremony for our afternoon/evening on our own. As for Greece, we've already bought a ton of books on the sights, history and language. Hey, we only have a year to get ready!

Oh, and I should note that I have some mobility issues but have managed to keep up and even been white water rafting twice. (bad shoulders too, they put me in the middle of the raft for stability {whose?}, but at least I didn't have to bail)

Hopefully we'll see your on a future Adventures by Disney! Happy traveling!
Dennie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-30-2011, 02:33 PM   #18
dunbarfamily
I'm a proud homebirthing crunchy mama who loves Walt Disney World!

I'm not a regular here on the ABD boards by any means, so I hope you don't mind me jumping in.

This thread is great! Being shy myself, I hesitate to even eat at Biergarten, and the social aspect of ABD has prevented me from looking into it much. (Plus, because I always have little ones, it'll be a bit before we can go adults-only, which would be the only way to make it work financially).

I'm glad to read that ABD allows one to be just oneself. I'm always afraid I come off "snooty" because I am so shy, however, just let me get warmed up and I'll never shut up!!!

I'll be sure to look at other threads on here and trip reports as well....it's never too early to start planning, right?!

Peace to all.

Our next trip: Adults only Disney Wonder 11-14-14
Past trips:4-14 Pop Century/1-13 Pop Century/1-12 BLT/10-11 AK/2-11 BLT & DCL/2-10 DCL & VWL/10-09 AS Movies/5-09 AS Movies/12-08 OKW/5-08 AS Sports/1-08 DCL& Villas at WL/9-07 AS Movies/12-06 AS Music/11-05 Offsite
And too many trips to count with grandma & papa when I was little

DVC members since June '07 at Animal Kingdom & Founding Members at Bay Lake

dunbarfamily is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: