Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2011, 10:14 PM   #1
disneysteve
You have to enjoy life, not go around worrying about what other people think

Baby cakes - Don't waste your money

Got to Disney today and it happens to be my birthday. Decided I wanted to try Baby cakes at DTD as a treat. Boy was I disappointed. First, they charge $3.50 for a pretty small cupcake. Second, more importantly, it was lousy. It was dry and tasteless. I had the red velvet (which wasn't even red). My daughter had the brownie cupcake and also said it was dry and pretty tasteless. I'll be surprised if that place lasts. I would certainly never go back and would spread the word to others to avoid the place.
Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
disneysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:34 PM   #2
tigervontiger
Earning My Ears

No offense

I am just wondering if you are gluten free, dairy free, etc? If you are then I am sorry that you were disappointed. If not, then please understand that people who are gluten free (like myself) think that place is amazing.

Maybe the bakery was having an off day?

Please give them another chance.
tigervontiger is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-10-2011, 10:41 PM   #3
livndisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post
Got to Disney today and it happens to be my birthday. Decided I wanted to try Baby cakes at DTD as a treat. Boy was I disappointed. First, they charge $3.50 for a pretty small cupcake. Second, more importantly, it was lousy. It was dry and tasteless. I had the red velvet (which wasn't even red). My daughter had the brownie cupcake and also said it was dry and pretty tasteless. I'll be surprised if that place lasts. I would certainly never go back and would spread the word to others to avoid the place.
We don't "waste" our money-we LOVE Babycakes!!!! I have never had anything that was "dry" from there. (And we are there almost weekly). As far as the price, it is right in line with everything else at WDW.

For those of us with allergies, Babycakes it WONDERFUL!!! And is doing a pretty growing business according to the reports I have seen. I think they will be around for a long time to come.
livndisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:51 PM   #4
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

The three that we bought (different flavors) were bad, too, last December. We often buy vegan cupcakes and even gluten-free ones, from a local place in the northwest, and those are delicious. We were extremely disappointed in babycakes.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:52 PM   #5
annacali
DIS Veteran

My DD6 and I had cupcakes there twice during our trip last month and loved them. We had the Brownie and the Blondie cupcakes. It was so nice to have a place to get dessert when the rest of the family headed to Ghiradelli (which is off limits for the two of us!)
annacali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:05 PM   #6
Traveliz
DIS Veteran

I wonder too if you are gluten free? I don't buy the food but my husband who has had celiac's for 30 years really likes their donuts! (And yes they are expensive - but having made gluten free donuts/pastries/bake goods at home we understand the multitude of different products that go into one baked item that is gluten free.)

He has tried a lot of different products in all of these years and feels this is a winner. I know may other gluten free diners who enjoy their flavors as well.

Liz
Traveliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:27 AM   #7
Mitzicat
DIS Veteran

Did someone mention red velvet cake!!! I will have to try them on my next trip. Disney used to offer a red velvet cupcake at the bakeries and candy shops but I haven't seen them in about 2 years.

I kind of consider myself a RVC Connoisseur. Just got back from Las Vegas and had a RVC and chocolate lava cupcake from The Candy Shop located in the Paris and it was horrible. Dry as anything. And I think they were each 4.95 for the normal size one.

Oh I miss the Disney RVC cupcakes. Does anyone know if maybe they offer them during the holidays?
Mitzicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:32 AM   #8
quirty30
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitzicat View Post
Did someone mention red velvet cake!!! I will have to try them on my next trip. Disney used to offer a red velvet cupcake at the bakeries and candy shops but I haven't seen them in about 2 years.

I kind of consider myself a RVC Connoisseur. Just got back from Las Vegas and had a RVC and chocolate lava cupcake from The Candy Shop located in the Paris and it was horrible. Dry as anything. And I think they were each 4.95 for the normal size one.

Oh I miss the Disney RVC cupcakes. Does anyone know if maybe they offer them during the holidays?
There are red velvet cupcakes at Starring Rolls every day. Had one in March and saw them again in July.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:46 AM   #9
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

Baby Cakes NY is not really intended for the general public! But if you are a vegan, gluten-intolerant, or have almost any food allergy they are safe for you. And a person with just about any food allergy can walk in and safely buy anything on display.

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! (Guest Services/Ticket Sales)

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Cheshire Figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:07 AM   #10
Sweet Melissa
DIS Veteran

As a person with no dietary restrictions — be they medical or self-imposed — I have no desire to try Babycakes.

♥ Melissa
Last Visit: November 2013 - Wedding/Honeymoon! Old Key West & Kidani
Next Visit: October 2014 - Boardwalk Villas
Sweet Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:03 AM   #11
sleeperclan
DIS Veteran

As my daughter would say, "Welcome to the world of gluten-free" She is really looking forward to trying this bakery next month! I was happy to see the good reviews from those with allergies!
Old 08-11-2011, 07:19 AM   #12
redzinner
Me Wants the Medianoche!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post
Happy Birthday disneysteve!

We had a 'dry' cupcake experience there also. And yes, my DH is gluten free so we are experienced with the myriad of textures that come with baked gluten-free foods.

Another caution is the frosting which in the Florida heat will separate in a blink of an eye since they are made with coconut oils. Not a pretty sight.

I think the product varies from batch to batch, which is unfortunate because I'm with disneysteve and we won't be going back to spend our money on dry cupcakes.

Now, the donuts on the other hand, were delicious and moist.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:29 AM   #13
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

I'm assuming the OP knew that all their offerings are vegan (meaning they use no animal products at all - no dairy, no eggs, no honey). They're not just gluten free. If you're vegan (or gluten free, or have allergies) I'm assuming the place is a treasure trove, if simply because you do not have to ask whether or not any items are safe to eat. If you're not, not so much. I've never been particularly interested in trying the place as I'm not vegan, vegetarian or allergic. It seems to me they cater to a small portion of the population but if the OP is a vegan and thinks it's that bad, maybe they can't even pull in their target audience.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:37 AM   #14
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

I saw their "Cake in a Cup" offering...it looked terrifying.

For the sake of the niche market this place caters to, I hope it survives. However, I won't be patronizing them.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:39 AM   #15
Mary976
DIS Veteran

I'm the one with all the allergies so I LOVE Babycakes. DD, who can eat anything, tried a variety of the things I got. She liked the donuts and the blondie cupcakes the best.

I will agree that they are expensive, but it's worth it to me because I literally can't eat any other "dessert" items at WDW. But without food restrictions, you might as well go with one of the many other options available.

Mary
Mary976 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: