Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 03-02-2012, 04:07 PM   #646
anut4disney
Just call me bashful
 
anut4disney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,879

Enjoy reading about the Dis Diva's annual trip. I missed 2011 & 2012, mayber next year.
__________________
Shirley aka "Uncle Shirley"

Raymond (aka Grumpy).
Wonderful husband, father and grandfather.
You are in our hearts forever.

anut4disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:12 PM   #647
DizNee Luver
Luver of all things Disney!
 
DizNee Luver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Philomath, Oregon
Posts: 9,656

Quote:
Originally Posted by anut4disney View Post
Enjoy reading about the Dis Diva's annual trip. I missed 2011 & 2012, mayber next year.
Hi Shirley!! I hope I get to meet you one of these trips!!!
__________________
Road Trip 2014HEREClub 33HEREWDW TRHEREOct PTRHERE 2013 Divas #3HERE2012 Holiday Trip HERE
WDW Dec 12 PTR~Cancelled: HERE 2011 Holiday Trip: HEREDivas, Take 2~2012: HEREDiva's TR~2011: HERE
10 of Us Summer Trip~2010: HERE 25th Anniv.TR~2009: HERE

DLR: 1967, 1972, 1984, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2011, 2012, 2012, 2013, 2013, 2014 WDW: 2013


DizNee Luver is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-02-2012, 04:24 PM   #648
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet
 
kaoden39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Fairfield, CA
Posts: 30,184

Love your sleep mask!! So stinking cute!! You actually did real well loot wise didn't you?
kaoden39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:27 PM   #649
DizNee Luver
Luver of all things Disney!
 
DizNee Luver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Philomath, Oregon
Posts: 9,656

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaoden39 View Post
Love your sleep mask!! So stinking cute!! You actually did real well loot wise didn't you?
I did!! I couldn't believe all the stuff in that bag!! Made me feel bad that my gift was a mug & a gift card.....but I was over the "suggested" amount.....just seemed a bit lame after opening this package!!
__________________
Road Trip 2014HEREClub 33HEREWDW TRHEREOct PTRHERE 2013 Divas #3HERE2012 Holiday Trip HERE
WDW Dec 12 PTR~Cancelled: HERE 2011 Holiday Trip: HEREDivas, Take 2~2012: HEREDiva's TR~2011: HERE
10 of Us Summer Trip~2010: HERE 25th Anniv.TR~2009: HERE

DLR: 1967, 1972, 1984, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2011, 2012, 2012, 2013, 2013, 2014 WDW: 2013


DizNee Luver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:27 PM   #650
Trentmom
A Christmas"y" tag for a Christmas Freak!
Talk to you Sharky People Later!!!
Has a high Poodar
 
Trentmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 32,621

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizNee Luver View Post
We always fly into Orange County....there's no way I'd fly into LAX I'd be freaked out by that place!!

Orange County is about 20 mins drive away.....really close!! We took the cab from the Ramada to SNA during 5pm traffic & still got there within 20 mins. If you have any way to fly into this one....I'd highly recommend it. Small airport, just a few minutes walk from your gate to the baggage claim & the transportation area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyStitch626 View Post
I'll look into it. The thought of LAX by myself scares me! Actually flying in general by myself scares me a little, but I can do it if it means going to DL!
I had to jump in here, hope you don't mind

When we do make it to DL, we had planned on flying into SNA

However, I see Virgin Airlines is now flying out of Philly into LAX. They have direct flights and are like 600 dollars cheaper than all other airlines we have been looking at, plus most of those had layovers, which I am not a fan of.

Anyway, why is LAX so scary? Just because it really big? Just curious

I would love to hear how it is compared to Philly, which is a fairly busy airport

Thanks for any insight you can give or anyone else on this thread

__________________
"Sharky", RESIDENT LIFER
Trentmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:32 PM   #651
kelmac284
I wish I lived near one of the parks so I could go anytime I wanted
He was so enamoured with her...
 
kelmac284's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 4,491

Yeah Laurie Catal is kind of fancy but I thought the Napa Rose was "fancier" so as far as that goes not that big of a deal and the food WAS good the first time and not bad this time just not as good as I remembered. That was the night Shelby dropped her phone in the sink so it kind of got ruined if you know what I mean LOL. But I was dissapointed because I had specifically indicated that it was my mom's birthday and NO dessert or even a happy birthday. And since THAT was the particular dinner that we were celebrating it was kind of a bummer. In fact the DLH didn't do anything either and I specificially mentioned it. I have to say as much as I liked the rooms and remodel at DLH the PP still takes the cake. They really did it up for mom's bday in 10 when we came for the ladies trip and the last few times we have gotten the rice krispie treats the first night and chocolates EVERY night. We only got them in ONE room this time and only the first night. Not a huge thing but those little extras make the extra money you spend some worth it.

In fact when we stayed at the Hilton at Universal we came back from dinner and got a lovely fruit plate with chocolates and trail mix as well as a bunch of nice fruit and some bottled waters. REALLY nice. Then the Queen Mary also left us each some really nice bottled waters with the ships picture inside and chocolates. Those little things really make you feel special.

Anywho yeah I would have loved to have seen what the others got since it sounded so intriguing!! I bet it was fun and can't wait to see what they have in mind for next year!!
__________________

DL 1st trip 76 last trip 3/14 next trip ??
DW 1st trip 5/02 last trip 11/10 next trip ??
kelmac284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:36 PM   #652
kelmac284
I wish I lived near one of the parks so I could go anytime I wanted
He was so enamoured with her...
 
kelmac284's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 4,491

Trentmom I flew into LAX for this trip and it IS bigger and busier but I think if you are used to a larger airport you would have NO problems. The only frustrating thing for us was we had to get a rental car and those are offsite so trying to find the shuttle location with all our bags was a bit hectic. At Orange County you pretty much walk out of baggage claim and it is right there but LAX is so much bigger that you sometimes have to hoof it a bit. LAX is perfectly fine. Orange county is just nice if it works out financially because it is closer and smaller.

Oh and Laurie FYI on the exchange in years past anyway a lot of people put "extras" in the packages. Like my first year it was tote bags but some chose to fill the bags with fun stuff. I got a bag filled with chapstick, tissues, a poncho, mints and some other fun stuff that I could specifically use for the trip. It is a lot like the exchanges in that you ONLY need to spend the alloted amount but if you WANT to you can choose to add extra stuff.

I wouldn't worry about it. I am sure whoever got yours was fine with it. I honestly just like to play to play and see what others receive.
__________________

DL 1st trip 76 last trip 3/14 next trip ??
DW 1st trip 5/02 last trip 11/10 next trip ??
kelmac284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:36 PM   #653
DizNee Luver
Luver of all things Disney!
 
DizNee Luver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Philomath, Oregon
Posts: 9,656

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trentmom View Post
I had to jump in here, hope you don't mind

When we do make it to DL, we had planned on flying into SNA

However, I see Virgin Airlines is now flying out of Philly into LAX. They have direct flights and are like 600 dollars cheaper than all other airlines we have been looking at, plus most of those had layovers, which I am not a fan of.

Anyway, why is LAX so scary? Just because it really big? Just curious

I would love to hear how it is compared to Philly, which is a fairly busy airport

Thanks for any insight you can give or anyone else on this thread

I've heard from others that they can get much cheaper flights going into LAX. LAX is massive (have no clue how it compares to Philly)......someone was saying they had to take a shuttle from their gate to the baggage claim area. That tells me its a huge place when you can't walk from the gate to the baggage claim & transportation area. I prefer coming into a small place where I can easily maneuver & find things.

BUT.....with that being said......there are a lot of airlines that can fly their "big birds" into LAX but can't fly into the smaller airports and they offer better rates by using the massive planes. So with the cost of flying, you go with the cheapest flight you can.
__________________
Road Trip 2014HEREClub 33HEREWDW TRHEREOct PTRHERE 2013 Divas #3HERE2012 Holiday Trip HERE
WDW Dec 12 PTR~Cancelled: HERE 2011 Holiday Trip: HEREDivas, Take 2~2012: HEREDiva's TR~2011: HERE
10 of Us Summer Trip~2010: HERE 25th Anniv.TR~2009: HERE

DLR: 1967, 1972, 1984, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2011, 2012, 2012, 2013, 2013, 2014 WDW: 2013


DizNee Luver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:43 PM   #654
Trentmom
A Christmas"y" tag for a Christmas Freak!
Talk to you Sharky People Later!!!
Has a high Poodar
 
Trentmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 32,621

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac284 View Post
Trentmom I flew into LAX for this trip and it IS bigger and busier but I think if you are used to a larger airport you would have NO problems. The only frustrating thing for us was we had to get a rental car and those are offsite so trying to find the shuttle location with all our bags was a bit hectic. At Orange County you pretty much walk out of baggage claim and it is right there but LAX is so much bigger that you sometimes have to hoof it a bit. LAX is perfectly fine. Orange county is just nice if it works out financially because it is closer and smaller.

Oh and Laurie FYI on the exchange in years past anyway a lot of people put "extras" in the packages. Like my first year it was tote bags but some chose to fill the bags with fun stuff. I got a bag filled with chapstick, tissues, a poncho, mints and some other fun stuff that I could specifically use for the trip. It is a lot like the exchanges in that you ONLY need to spend the alloted amount but if you WANT to you can choose to add extra stuff.

I wouldn't worry about it. I am sure whoever got yours was fine with it. I honestly just like to play to play and see what others receive.
Thanks for responding

That doesn't sound too bad minus the rental car thing.

Philly is pretty busy, so am pretty used to it. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizNee Luver View Post
I've heard from others that they can get much cheaper flights going into LAX. LAX is massive (have no clue how it compares to Philly)......someone was saying they had to take a shuttle from their gate to the baggage claim area. That tells me its a huge place when you can't walk from the gate to the baggage claim & transportation area. I prefer coming into a small place where I can easily maneuver & find things.

BUT.....with that being said......there are a lot of airlines that can fly their "big birds" into LAX but can't fly into the smaller airports and they offer better rates by using the massive planes. So with the cost of flying, you go with the cheapest flight you can.
Hey Laurie.

yeah, noticed flights into LAX are a lot cheaper.

Okay, that sounds like Orlando airport actually

When you get off your flight, you have to take what we call the Fake monorail to baggage claim area. We actually enjoy that

Thanks
__________________
"Sharky", RESIDENT LIFER
Trentmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:45 PM   #655
DizNee Luver
Luver of all things Disney!
 
DizNee Luver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Philomath, Oregon
Posts: 9,656

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac284 View Post
Yeah Laurie Catal is kind of fancy but I thought the Napa Rose was "fancier" so as far as that goes not that big of a deal and the food WAS good the first time and not bad this time just not as good as I remembered. That was the night Shelby dropped her phone in the sink so it kind of got ruined if you know what I mean LOL. But I was dissapointed because I had specifically indicated that it was my mom's birthday and NO dessert or even a happy birthday. And since THAT was the particular dinner that we were celebrating it was kind of a bummer. In fact the DLH didn't do anything either and I specificially mentioned it. I have to say as much as I liked the rooms and remodel at DLH the PP still takes the cake. They really did it up for mom's bday in 10 when we came for the ladies trip and the last few times we have gotten the rice krispie treats the first night and chocolates EVERY night. We only got them in ONE room this time and only the first night. Not a huge thing but those little extras make the extra money you spend some worth it.

In fact when we stayed at the Hilton at Universal we came back from dinner and got a lovely fruit plate with chocolates and trail mix as well as a bunch of nice fruit and some bottled waters. REALLY nice. Then the Queen Mary also left us each some really nice bottled waters with the ships picture inside and chocolates. Those little things really make you feel special.

Anywho yeah I would have loved to have seen what the others got since it sounded so intriguing!! I bet it was fun and can't wait to see what they have in mind for next year!!
Napa Rose is way too fancy for me.....I'm more of a counter service gal....lol

Its a bummer they didn't do anything for your mom's birthday but to hear that the DLH didn't do anything either.....shame on them!! Those little extras are what sets them apart from the places across the street. I actually got a thank you card from the Ramada Inn when I arrived......so their PR was amazing....those are the things you remember when booking again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac284 View Post
Trentmom I flew into LAX for this trip and it IS bigger and busier but I think if you are used to a larger airport you would have NO problems. The only frustrating thing for us was we had to get a rental car and those are offsite so trying to find the shuttle location with all our bags was a bit hectic. At Orange County you pretty much walk out of baggage claim and it is right there but LAX is so much bigger that you sometimes have to hoof it a bit. LAX is perfectly fine. Orange county is just nice if it works out financially because it is closer and smaller.

Oh and Laurie FYI on the exchange in years past anyway a lot of people put "extras" in the packages. Like my first year it was tote bags but some chose to fill the bags with fun stuff. I got a bag filled with chapstick, tissues, a poncho, mints and some other fun stuff that I could specifically use for the trip. It is a lot like the exchanges in that you ONLY need to spend the alloted amount but if you WANT to you can choose to add extra stuff.

I wouldn't worry about it. I am sure whoever got yours was fine with it. I honestly just like to play to play and see what others receive.
Orange County is easy to get through......You can arrive 90 mins prior to your flight & still get through security in just minutes. The longest wait I've had there was 10 mins. I imagine security at LAX is a bigger & longer wait. I think the reason I get through the Portland airport with short waits is because of the time of day I go though it. 5am is a good time to leave a big airport.....lol

I should have added a few small extras but I still wanted them to work within the theme & I wasn't finding things. I'm sure Bridget was fine with the gift....just wish I had access to some fun villain stuff.
__________________
Road Trip 2014HEREClub 33HEREWDW TRHEREOct PTRHERE 2013 Divas #3HERE2012 Holiday Trip HERE
WDW Dec 12 PTR~Cancelled: HERE 2011 Holiday Trip: HEREDivas, Take 2~2012: HEREDiva's TR~2011: HERE
10 of Us Summer Trip~2010: HERE 25th Anniv.TR~2009: HERE

DLR: 1967, 1972, 1984, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2011, 2012, 2012, 2013, 2013, 2014 WDW: 2013


DizNee Luver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:53 PM   #656
Trentmom
A Christmas"y" tag for a Christmas Freak!
Talk to you Sharky People Later!!!
Has a high Poodar
 
Trentmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 32,621

Jolly Holiday Restaurant looks awesome. I love Marry Poppins and love all the special touches, including the Penguins. Great pics

The Diva Party looks like a blast. Those shirts are gorgeous. I can't even imagine how long it took to make that many

Out of curiosity and nosiness, do you have to rent a room at the hotel to have that party or do they let you use it for free?

Either way, so awesome. Decorations looked great

Great stuff in your bag
__________________
"Sharky", RESIDENT LIFER
Trentmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:11 PM   #657
DizNee Luver
Luver of all things Disney!
 
DizNee Luver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Philomath, Oregon
Posts: 9,656

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trentmom View Post
Jolly Holiday Restaurant looks awesome. I love Marry Poppins and love all the special touches, including the Penguins. Great pics

The Diva Party looks like a blast. Those shirts are gorgeous. I can't even imagine how long it took to make that many

Out of curiosity and nosiness, do you have to rent a room at the hotel to have that party or do they let you use it for free?

Either way, so awesome. Decorations looked great

Great stuff in your bag
The Mary Poppins theme is fun & very fitting for Main Street.

The party is tons of fun. Melody mentioned that her daughters (&/or DIL's) helped her bling out the shirts during the Super Bowl. I imagine it was weeks of work to complete them. I know the design is taken into a printer who puts them on the shirts. I'd say 80% of the girls get their shirt blinged out. The pics of these shirts don't even begin to show you how beautiful they are.

The Carousel let us use the room for free if we had Quizno's cater the food. (there was a dollar amt needed)......it was also assumed that we would have people staying there. Last year we had 6-7 rooms.....this year we only had 1......so that was not good as it was brought up by management.

We've had the Carousel breakfast room for the last 2 parties and prior to that the first 3 years was held in the conference room at the HoJo. I believe they got the room for free, but again.....a number of people were staying there. Not sure where we're holding it this next year.
__________________
Road Trip 2014HEREClub 33HEREWDW TRHEREOct PTRHERE 2013 Divas #3HERE2012 Holiday Trip HERE
WDW Dec 12 PTR~Cancelled: HERE 2011 Holiday Trip: HEREDivas, Take 2~2012: HEREDiva's TR~2011: HERE
10 of Us Summer Trip~2010: HERE 25th Anniv.TR~2009: HERE

DLR: 1967, 1972, 1984, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2011, 2012, 2012, 2013, 2013, 2014 WDW: 2013


DizNee Luver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:31 PM   #658
charmama4
DIS Veteran
 
charmama4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: here, here, here, here, anywhere!!
Posts: 827

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizNee Luver View Post
Hi Charlene!!! Thank you for stopping by!! The snack table started out as a "Candy Bar" for the first couple years, but its morphed into a HUGE table of sweets, salty, little gifts (bracelets, hand sanitizer w/holder & purse size tissues w/covers), etc. Each person brings an item to share on the table. In the past we'd ask you to bring enough for each lady.....but with 46-48 ladies...that can be quite a bit. I was worried we would be overwhelmed after the party with leftovers (that usually goes to the villas since they tend to be the meeting point in the evenings for drinks & socializing).....but really.....we didn't end up with a ton of leftovers this time. I went thru the line near the end & a number of the choices were gone.....but I still left with a full bag of treats!!

I'm excited that you'll be joining in next year!!
How fun! So, is there a list of "requested" items from the ladies?
__________________
me Scott (DH) Forrest (DS) Connor (DS) Hunter (DS) Erin (DD) Oso (our furperson)
charmama4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:28 PM   #659
DizNee Luver
Luver of all things Disney!
 
DizNee Luver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Philomath, Oregon
Posts: 9,656

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmama4 View Post
How fun! So, is there a list of "requested" items from the ladies?
Not really.....the only requested thing I've heard is the Canadian Smarties.....which are chocolate.....nothing like ours!!
__________________
Road Trip 2014HEREClub 33HEREWDW TRHEREOct PTRHERE 2013 Divas #3HERE2012 Holiday Trip HERE
WDW Dec 12 PTR~Cancelled: HERE 2011 Holiday Trip: HEREDivas, Take 2~2012: HEREDiva's TR~2011: HERE
10 of Us Summer Trip~2010: HERE 25th Anniv.TR~2009: HERE

DLR: 1967, 1972, 1984, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2011, 2012, 2012, 2013, 2013, 2014 WDW: 2013


DizNee Luver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:32 PM   #660
DisneyStitch626
DIS Veteran
 
DisneyStitch626's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 5,853



My favourite candy since I was a little kid. They are so good. Kinda like M&M's but waaaay better.
__________________
DisneyStitch626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: