Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2012, 08:47 AM   #1
DeeCee735
"How Do You Know of the Key?"

Captain's Grille - Yacht Club Resort

Just thought I pop in a review of a couple of places we ate over President's week. We stayed at the BWV, so we had most of our meals on and around the BW and one in Rose & Crown in Epcot.

Here goes:

Party: 4 adults, myself, DH and another couple

Meal was dinner. We usually eat at Yachtsman, but this time we decided to try Captain's Grille. The last time we ate dinner there was with our adult son. Our son wasn't happy with his meal, but it was handled to his satisfaction, other than that there were no issues, so we decided to try it again this year.

It wasn't a good experience. Before I get into it, I do want to say that a couple of days after our meal I received a phone call from the manager, and she was very interested in finding out what went wrong and how she could fix it. She even offered us a meal on them for the next time we are there, but that's not until next year.

Okay, the four of us ordered the NY strip. Our friends ordered medium and were happy with the way their steaks were prepared. I ordered medium well and got medium rare, so had to send it back, it came back fine for me.
DH is a very very well done steak guy and that's exactly how he ordered it. He even elaborated and stated absolutely no pink. He got a medium steak. The waitress was great and she apologized and took it back. The second time it came back (now remember the other three of us are eating so our food wouldn't get cold), it was barely medium well. My husband told the waitress there was no way he could eat this and asked if there was a problem with getting the steak the way he ordered it. She took it back again and said she'd have the chef make him a completely new steak. The third time he received it, it was still pink inside, clearly not seared on the outside and full of gristle. Now, he wasn't happy. The chef came out and was clearly ticked off. He asked my husband what the problem was. My husband, politely, told him the story of the night and said to him "I understand sometimes it's just a bad night" and the chef replies "I'm sorry you are having a bad night" My husband said "I'm not having a bad night, I mean the kitchen". The chef literally stared him down! To the point where my husband said to him "what are you staring at?" Can't you see that this steak isn't cooked through, nor is it seared, what's the problem?" The chef said it was the only steak sent back that night and he couldn't understand why. My husband, then getting upset himself said something like "well if you knew how to cook a steak through I wouldn't still be waiting for dinner". The chef at that point, literally stormed off!

So, no one ever asked him if he wanted anything else, or if he wanted to see the menu. My husband did ask to see the manager twice, but either the manager was never told or just didn't show up. That was not clarified in my conversation with her, even though I did mention it.

End result - my husband never ate! Of course, he wasn't charged for a meal, but come on....he's never had a problem in Yachtsman ordering a very well done steak, or in Le Cellier or in anyother restaurant where he's ordered steak. It wasn't the lack of a good cooked steak, it was the horrible attitude of the chef and the lack of offering him something else he might actually be able to digest!

I don't recommend this restaurant for dinner, and even though we were offered a free meal, I'm not so sure my husband will want to try again. Let's just say it left a bad taste for him ! Pardon the pun!

AKV 11/14,AKV 6/14,VWL5/14,BWV 2/14,BWV 11/13, AKV 10/13,AKV/BWV 3/13,AKV 2/13,BWV 12/12 SEDONA RCI TRADE 4/12,BWV 2/12, OFFSITE 12/11,AKV11/11,DREAM/BWV 4/11, AKV 2/11, SSR 1/11, BWV 6/10, HH 3/10, AKV/BWV1/10,AKV11/09, OKW 3/09, BWV 1/09, BWV 10/08,AKV/BWV/HHI/CHARLESTON PL 4/08,BWV 9/07, HH 4/07, BWV 2/06, BWV 10/05, OKW 2/05,BWV 3/04,BWV 10/03, BWV 2/03, BWV4/02,Wonder&BWV2/01,BWV 5/00,Offsite2/00,WL/CS98,Poly 6/95
DeeCee735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:34 AM   #2
n2mm
aka WALTSGIRL

Wow, thanks for sharing your story. That is crazy. We eat lunch here often and sometimes breakfast and they have always been good. Not excellent, but a good meal. We haven't decided if we want to try dinner again. We've done dinner several times and I've never been happy with the meal. I do find the service here to be very slow, so we know that prior to eating here. It's been a couple of years since we ate dinner here, so thought we might try again in April since we are at the BCV. We are still undecided.

2015 TRIPS-Under Construction
April 29 - May 16 @ BCV
Sept 11-12@ BLT; ? + Cruise
Oct 25 - Nov 7 @ ?

n2mm is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: