Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2011, 11:59 AM   #1
kelemvor
Earning My Ears

How much are pins in the parks?

Hi,

We're heading to Disney in September and we're wondering how much the pins cost to buy them in the park. There are a ton of them on ebay and things and we want to possibly get some before we head down to have some things to trade with, if they are a better deal online...

Any pricing info would be great.

Thanks.
kelemvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 12:04 PM   #2
Wall-E1
Dis DAD
Beware the mac & cheeseHas YAGEing down to a fine art

They sell for a little under $10 - $20 generally. Some might be a little less or more, but that is the general price range.
1979 Polynesian - 1984 Polynesian - 1998 Dixie Landings - Dec 2003 Coronado Springs - Apr 2004 Animal Kingdom Lodge - June 2004 All Star Sports - Oct 2004 Carribean Beach - Dec 2004 Port Orleans French Quarter - Jan 2005 Wilderness Lodge - May 2005 Pop Century - Oct 2005 Pop Century - Dec 2005 Dolphin Resort - Jan 2006 Disneyland Resort California - August 2006 Yacht Club - Sep 2006 Coronado Springs - Dec 2006 Dolphin Resort - Sep 2007 All Star Movies - Nov 2007 ABD Costa Rica - Feb 2008 Pop Century - August 2008 All Star Music - Sep 2008 All Star Movies - Nov 2008 Pop Century - Dec 2008 Boardwalk Villas - May 2009 Beach Club Villas - September 2009 All Star Movies (my son's 20th trip to WDW!) - Nov 2009 All Star Movies - and for 2010!!! - Jan 2010 Animal Kingdom Lodge - May 2010 Port Orleans Riverside - September 2010 Pop Century - December 2010 Contemporary - November 2011 Beach Club Villas - March 2012 Animal Kingdom Lodge - October 2012 Contemporary - December 2014 Pop Century

Wall-E1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-06-2011, 12:12 PM   #3
stargazertechie
Toy Story Midway Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelemvor View Post
Hi,

We're heading to Disney in September and we're wondering how much the pins cost to buy them in the park. There are a ton of them on ebay and things and we want to possibly get some before we head down to have some things to trade with, if they are a better deal online...

Any pricing info would be great.

Thanks.
Most of the cheap, large eBay lots are illegally produced counterfeit pins (referred to as scrappers in the Pin community). I'm on my cell phone currently, I'll post more info once I'm on my computer.

If you have a car in Disney, you can drive to the Premium outlet and get authentic pins for $2-$3 each.

If you must buy on ebay, follow these tips:

Go check the Collectors board- they have a list of good/bad ebay sellers.

Do NOT buy pins from sellers that are based in China
Do NOT buy pins from sellers who have "pick your own lot" offering over 300 pins total
Do NOT buy pins from sellers who have large lots (50-100 pins) for less than $1 per pin
Do NOT buy pins from sellers who have MULTIPLE large lots
Do NOT buy pins from sellers who have ANY negative feedback stating that a buyer got a scrapper. Many pin sellers will have 99% feedback, and when you look close they have had 2 or 3 buyers state they got scrappers.

Do NOT buy pins from sellers who state that the pins will come in individual baggies
Do NOT buy pins from sellers who use phrases like "100% tradeable"
Do NOT buy pins from sellers who have feedback from making purchases from pin sellers from China

BE VERY WARY of sellers that only use stock photos of pins, and who state "pins may or may not be the ones pictured"

LOOK for ebay sellers offering pins in original packaging and/or on original backers
LOOK for ebay sellers offering single pins for around $2.00 a pin
LOOK for ebay sellers with NO feedback regarding scrappers
LOOK for ebay sellers based in the US
LOOK for ebay sellers on the collector's GOOD SELLERS list

Honestly, buying pins off of ebay is really risky- most of those large lots are either scrappers directly from China, or locals who buy large lots of scrappers and then take them into the parks and trade the scrappers with CMs to get "authentic park traded" pins.

Upcoming trip- WDW Trip #14. BCV. 6/13.

Thinking about buying pins from ebay and getting into pin trading? PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!

Last edited by stargazertechie; 08-06-2011 at 01:59 PM.
stargazertechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 12:17 PM   #4
tallen429
DIS Veteran

The pin pricing is color coded and ranges from about $6.95 to as high as $15.95( I think). Most are in the $6.95-9.95 range.

Don't buy the ebay auctions for pin lots. They are cast offs and are not authentic. There are people who sell authentic pins online in singles but they are about the same price as the parks. Once in while the Disney Store online has a few in their sale section but I don't think they have any on clearence right now.

tallen429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 02:00 PM   #5
stargazertechie
Toy Story Midway Maniac

Just added a ton of suggestions on finding a decent ebay seller

Upcoming trip- WDW Trip #14. BCV. 6/13.

Thinking about buying pins from ebay and getting into pin trading? PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
stargazertechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 02:58 PM   #6
jcano
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the warning! If it sounds too good to be true.....

1993 Off-site, 2002 Off-site, 2007 ASMo, 2008 POP, 12/2011 POFQ, beginning to plan for November 2014
jcano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 03:35 PM   #7
LBlovesM&WDW
Mouseketeer

I always buy the pin sets, usually 7 or more pins on the card, at WDW and I usually look for the more uncommon ones. Little ones tend to choose the cutest pins, while I choose villains or something less likely chosen. These sets start at $30, so I'm paying less than $5 a pin to trade and they are absolutely authentic.
LBlovesM&WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 05:13 PM   #8
CR Resort Fan 4 Life
DIS Veteran

Pins sold by themselves range from $6.95 - $15.95 depending on it's size. Plus the prices for them aren't listed on the pin backing that comes with it because WDW has a color coded system that list the prices according to the color on the back, so that's something else you need to look out for. Finally bigger pins sold in boxes can range from $20.00 - $40.00 or even more.
CR Resort Fan 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:58 AM   #9
bytheblood
DIS Veteran

I am not condoning or questioning ethics, but wanted to share my thoughts on this. This is MY opinion for MY pins. One size does not fit all.
  • Most of the pins you get from CMs come from these same lots. This could mean that you are trading an $8 pin for the same pins that are causing you so much stress.
  • Disney is allowing this, therefore it is not a "Disney abomination" by their standards
  • Disney CMs do not inspect the pins to see if they are genuine or knock-offs.
  • They are not really worth any major significant value. If I pay $8+ for a pin, it is because I really do like it and intend to keep it. If I should trade it for a "counterfeit pin" but I like the counterfeit, then there is no real loss for me as I am still getting what I want.
  • I cannot take them with me when I die.
  • If I am collecting them because I like them and decided I don't want them one day, I am never going to get what I paid for the pin in the park because pin trading is so big.

Disney allows people with pin books to sit in certain locations within EPCOT and Downtown Disney and rip their guests off. They sell some pins for $100+ and tell you they are retired when they are in fact available. If Disney isnt going to put a stop to this, they really are not that interested in what is being sold on the internet. If they were, they would sue and shut down many of these sites like pin castle, mousepinsonline, etc.
bytheblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:36 PM   #10
arcurioa
Mouseketeer

We used to make sure that all of our pins were authentic, but it is nearly impossible now. Not to mention 8 times our of 10 your kids are going to trade it away for another scrapper from theCM's lanyard. If they like it, I do not care. If Disney had a huge issue with the sale of scrapper they would close the sellers down- they do it all the time with other copyright infringement items on eBay. I think they look at it as a loss leader. People trade them, bit spend times more $ buying other pins at $7 -$20+ a pop.

So you can spend a lot of money on traders, but know that you will get scrappers if you trade with cast members.

Good luck an have fun.
arcurioa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:37 PM   #11
lovelybellanotte
Original Mouseketeer

bytheblood is certainly right...you may end up with one of those counterfeit eBay pins if you trade in the parks. I traded pins years and years ago when the pin craze first began and didn't have to worry about getting fakes. Our last trip, my husband wanted to get into trading and bought one of the packs with the lanyard in the Emporium. By the end of the day, we began to realize that most of the ones we had traded for we're counterfeit.

Really leaves a bad taste in your mouth when you realize that you paid for authentic pins and got scrappers.

I advise you to look up ways to tell if pins are scrappers and check any pins before you trade. You will almost always notice sub-par paint jobs on them but there are other ways to really be sure as well. Cast members DO NOT look for these things!

Pin trading is super fun but you have to be smart about it!!

Enjoy!
lovelybellanotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:16 AM   #12
siskaren
DIS Veteran

This thread is almost 2 years old (well, it was until it got revived today ); the OP has long since come home from their trip.
siskaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:39 AM   #13
rwdavis2
DIS Veteran

I bought 3 space-related pins because I build spacecraft for a living. Not to collect them. To me, collecting pins was like buying those "collectable" plates that seemed to be the rage years ago. They never had any value as they made too many. So hopefully people bought the plates (and pins) because they liked the way they looked and not for an investment. Sort of like Beenie Babies.
Wilderness Lodge 2004
All Star Vacation Homes 2008
Wilderness Lodge & Animal Kingdom Lodge 2012(November)
All Star Movies January 2013
Paradise Pier September 2013

Pittsburgh Dad says, "Mum and Gram are at Bingo tonight, so it's cereal for dinner. "
rwdavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:44 AM   #14
MassFamily
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the info

I appreciate the information, but it took the wind out of my sails. My daughter started collecting pins on our last trip, 4 years ago, and I was excited for her to revive that again and was going to buy some for her to trade, all she has now are the ones she bought and I hope she would still like those.

But now, knowing that I have to watch her trades to make sure they are authentic, and don't want to have to explain fakes to a 9-year-old holding onto her innocence, changes my thoughts.

My thoughts on the whole collecting thing is that you won't get your money back, but seeing the kids look at the racks of pins for that one special that they will love is priceless.

MassFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:58 AM   #15
twinklebug
Dreaming in Mickey Vision
Too bad I wasn't 20, oh, I mean 3 years younger

Location: Left my heart in WDW, if found please leave at WL frontdesk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassFamily View Post
I appreciate the information, but it took the wind out of my sails. My daughter started collecting pins on our last trip, 4 years ago, and I was excited for her to revive that again and was going to buy some for her to trade, all she has now are the ones she bought and I hope she would still like those.

But now, knowing that I have to watch her trades to make sure they are authentic, and don't want to have to explain fakes to a 9-year-old holding onto her innocence, changes my thoughts.

My thoughts on the whole collecting thing is that you won't get your money back, but seeing the kids look at the racks of pins for that one special that they will love is priceless.
Therein lies the value of the pins to me. It's not the pin, but the memory brought on by looking at that pin that is priceless.

I have an old lamp at home I've got all of my kid's most favorite pins stuck to the shade on as well as a few that just called to me (First year we were AP holders etc). I call it my Disney lamp and wouldn't trade any pin on it for anything

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: