Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast > Power of 10 - DIS Events to Benefit GKTW
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2011, 08:45 AM   #31
Cherinva
Co-Host of the Va. DIS Meet and avid pin collector

Thank You Linda and Tracey for your kind words. It means a lot to both of us. I get to do some shopping next month on my vacation to WDW for our event...I'm almost more excited about that then shopping for myself...well not exactly, but you get the point. I've already decided to take down an extra (empty) suitcase to bring stuff back in....who knows what I will find for the meet.....

Don't let yesterday use up too much of todayšoš
Cherinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 01:20 PM   #32
disneym2m
I am only allowed to visit Disney World once every five years... darn husband. Co-host of the Virginia Dis Meet 2011.

So we had the location , and the details posted, and I figured all else would just come together, right?

Yeah, whatever.

Now Cheri and I had to figure out what to do next. Cheri was going to WDW in a few weeks and we decided this worked out perfectly. She could buy some items that we would need for either the auction, the door prizes, or for the kids. But then the question was, what does Cheri need to purchase? Now this is where I am glad we live in the time that we do. Before I would make lists and "waste" a lot of paper, but now there is Microsoft Word and things can be changed and re-changed without wasting a lot of paper. My original list of ideas needed to be updated because of the location. I am sure when everyone thinks of ideas for party they have great ideas, but as time goes on those ideas have to be readjusted. And this was true for us.

I also have to thank the gods for who ever created emails because Cheri and I must send each other 5 to 7 emails a day with new thoughts or ideas or suggestions about this Meet. We still have the same ideas we have just adjusted them a little.

I will admit that after a few days I was feeling a little overwhelmed. Now I understand why some Dis Meets have more than 2 people putting a Meet together. But I will also admit that the Disers are amazing. I started receiving private dis board messages with all kinds of help offer. It was so nice of Disers, whom I have never met in person, to offer to help make this Meet as great as possible. It is still a little early in the planning, so I had to tell these Disers that you are on my list and we will let you know as we get closer. At this point there are still 96 days until our meet.

Anyway, I just veered from my point of this post. What was my point? Let me think? Oh yeah, what does Cheri need to purchase while in WDW? We are having a silent auction. Mainly because I don't think I could have a live auction. I could see us now in this tiny Cafe' yelling off "The bid is now $20, who will give me $25, now who will give me $30. Sold to the Diser from somewhere wearing Christmas Mickey ears". It could be fun, but I don't talk that fast. Maybe Cheri does? Any hoo, a silent auction seemed to work for us. Now what the heck do we auction? How many auctions should there be?

I did look at other Dis Meet thread and read what they had and it seemed really great. But our ideas were different. Would our ideas we worth auctioning off? Now I am a little nervous? Oh sure ADP, just post pictures of two great auctions at your Meet. Just rub it in.... .

I guess time will tell how we did in the auction area. Right now we have a few items and after the Meet I will have to tell you how it goes. But in all honestly, I keep telling myself that no matter what we have to auction off it all goes to a worthy cause; GKTW. And that is what is important.
disneym2m is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-17-2011, 04:10 PM   #33
disneym2m
I am only allowed to visit Disney World once every five years... darn husband. Co-host of the Virginia Dis Meet 2011.

So it has been three weeks since our Dis Meet has been posted. 100 days until our Meet. Three weeks ago I was like, geez, this will take forever. Why did we plan our Meet so far away? What will I do for 100 days?

Well, now were are down to 87 days and I am wondering where the time is going. What the heck have I been doing these last 3 weeks? Will we get everything done?

As I write this, I do wonder what have I been doing these last 3 weeks? Cheri and I discuss ideas and suggestions, by email, almost every day. When I don't talk to her, it seems weird, like I forgot to do something today. But as I think about it, I guess things are coming together. Cheri has been working on donations from the area and making a shopping list for WDW. I have worked on the activity books for the kids and teenagers. I still have to print the pages but they are sitting in a folder on my computer patiently waiting. I have bought things for the Meet because the box in the spare room is filling up.

So I know things are getting completed, it just doesn't seem like it. And then I look at the countdown on my desktop and the days seem to be flying by.

I am not worried, yet. I always seem to worry that things aren't getting done and when the day arrives, surprise, all things are completed. I guess because we still have 87 days things are coming together, but very slowly. I laugh to myself because in a few weeks I will be scrambling around wondering where all the time went and why didn't I move faster to complete things.

Well I am off to work on....something. Now where is my list of things to do. I know I have one.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:53 PM   #34
disneym2m

It has been a slow week on the Dis Meet planning front. Cheri and I are both getting ready for vacations. Me to Las Vegas and Cheri to WDW. We have our shopping list in hand. I hear there is a Disney Outlet store in Las Vegas so I will be checking it out.

We still have 82 days until our Meet. Some days it seems like it will never get here and other days there doesn't seem to be enough time. I suppose with any party planning a person can feel this way. Each day something is worked on or accomplished for the Meet. Before we know it, I will probably be running around wondering where all the time went and why didn't I start earlier....

So I am off to pack for my trip. I wonder if Cheri would let me climb into her suitcase and go with her to WDW. Of course with the bad weather coming, Las Vegas may be safer....LOL.

Before I go, I will share a secret with you. I just sent an email to my friend who lives in France near Disneyland Paris. I hope she can get me what I asked for.

Oh and I did finally respond to the lady from the Stoney Point Town Center. I had to wait a little while before I responded to her outrageous Certificate of Insurance demand. Don't worry I was nice. I let her know that another location was more than gracious enough to let our 50+ patronage use their location and didn't require an insurance policy. Of course, now I am worried. I hope the Disers attending the Dis Meet don't do anything that requires repair.....
Old 08-23-2011, 09:32 AM   #35
Cherinva

If you could possibly find any room in my suitcase to stow away, you are most welcome...however, I'm not sure how the TSA will take it...could you imagine the looks on their faces when they scan it, or open it for inspection??

I'm not concerned with the storm (Irene)...now, had we gone with our orginal plans of leaving on the 28th....we might have been affected with a cancelled flight...but since we are leaving a week later now.....no worries...

Old 08-23-2011, 06:40 PM   #36
Guapotimmy
I won a Podcast Cruise on February 3rd, 2010!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneym2m View Post
It has been a slow week on the Dis Meet planning front. Cheri and I are both getting ready for vacations. Me to Las Vegas and Cheri to WDW. We have our shopping list in hand. I hear there is a Disney Outlet store in Las Vegas so I will be checking it out.

Have you or anyone else ever been to the Disney Outlet in Potomac Mills? Is it large and have any decent items (like Vinylmation)? I've never been to a Disney Outlet store and just discovered this one
Old 08-23-2011, 07:03 PM   #37
disneym2m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guapotimmy View Post
Have you or anyone else ever been to the Disney Outlet in Potomac Mills? Is it large and have any decent items (like Vinylmation)? I've never been to a Disney Outlet store and just discovered this one

It has been a couple of years since I have been to the Disney Outlet in Potomac Mills. They were selling items that were outdated or being discontinued. One summer they had summer items for sale, but since the Richmond area Disney Stores have closed, I am not sure if this was new for the summer at this store or older items. A Disney Outlet type store in Anaheim area sold out dated items. I was seeing a lot from WDW 25th Anniversary, but I did find a cute Tinkerbell purse. I don't think they sell items like Vinylmation but I will let you know.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:59 PM   #38
disneym2m

I probably shouldn't even post anything because it has been slow. I returned from Las Vegas, sick, but with some goodies for the Meet. The outlet store did not have anything like Vinylmation and because this was a Disney Outlet store in Las Vegas, they mostly sold items from Disneyland. Which was neat to see but very expensive. Shirts were 40% off but the starting price was $45.00. They also had a lot of baby clothing and small children clothing. Oh yeah, they had a Mickey and Minnie stuffed animal set, dressed in Santa outfits, that started off at $35.00 each. Yes, Mickey was $35 and Minnie was $35. I thought this was an outlet store, meaning cheap..... Darn it, this would have been perfect to go with our Dis Meet theme.

Oh well.

We have 64 days until our meet. I have been working on the activity books for the younger attendees. Cheri is towards the end of her WDW vacation. And the voice mail that was left from her, she was able to get the goodies we needed for out Meet.

All is well. I just feel that a lot more should be finished and that things are just hanging over my head. I guess I will be making a list and crossing things off to help me feel that things are being accomplished. I know things are getting done, but it just doesn't feel like it.

But on a good note. I have received an email from a Diser who wants to attend but it is a secret. I am actually excited about this. I love surprising people with great things.

Okay, off to work on....something. I know I need to. Where is my list???
Old 09-12-2011, 02:35 PM   #39
disneym2m

During my trip to Las Vegas, I joined a group of spouses who went on adventures while their spouses attended the VM convention (a computer convention about Virtual Machines). It was a lot of fun walking around the strip and seeing things that others pointed out. During this week long event, I started noticing things about what the head of this event did and did not do. I was taking notes for our upcoming Dis Meet (sshhh, don't tell her). The one thing she did not do was provide name tags.

Before I went to Las Vegas, Cheri and I had decided to provide name tags so this was not a new idea. The name tag was also to serve the purpose of allowing the Cafe' members know that our Disers were purchasing food. The Cafe' would donate 10% of what the Disers purchased. So our name tags would serve multiple uses.

So this past week, while Cheri was having fun in WDW, I started working on our name tags. Cheri and I already decided on a design and since we are getting close to our registration cut off date, I had the names of the attendees. I am a pro at Photoshop so I thought 50+ names would take no time at all....

Each 8.5" x 11" piece of paper would hold 6 name tags, so I would print about 11 pages worth. Our design was simply. Mickey Mouse shape, colored in lime green, and Mickey would wear a snow cap, colored in orange. We honored the Dis colors as well as worked it into our theme. Now I had to pick the font. Geez, there are like over 150 for me to choose from. WHY DOES THERE HAVE TO BE SO MANY?!?!?? I ended up choosing the infamous Walt Disney print. This is a Disney meet so why not have the font match the theme. ( I thought it was a good idea..LOL). So I began typing. Walt Disney print for the real names of the Diser and Comic sans for their board names. Two hours later I was finished. Yay, now time to print.

So my printer and my monitor had decided not to work together. The beautiful lime green on the monitor printed out dark green on the paper. What The .....?!?!?!? I adjusted the contrast on the monitor because I like the monitor to show things bright. But the printer wanted to print the green an emerald color green. Okay that just isn't going to work. WHAT THE.....?!?!?!? (These are family friendly boards, so no swearing, but you can fill in the blank). After an hour of this I had to figure something else out.

So I lightened the green to what looked like a different green than the lime green. I printed a test copy and darn it. I guess I am just not going to get the lime green to look like the lime green I want. But it will have to do. The Dis colors are represented and I was getting tired of arguing with the monitor and printer.

Side note: when working with Photoshop you can create different layers. Which is cool when you want to change a background or a different layer instead of redoing the whole picture. That is, of course, if you haven't flatten all the layers. Yup, I flatten the name layer and the background layer and then saved it. So I had to change the colors and retype all 50+ attendees' names. This time I changed the font to Disney print. Which actually fit and looked better.

So what did I learn from this?? 1.) Test print your page before typing anything to make sure the colors are what you want. 2.) Leave everything in layers until absolutely sure. 3.) Understand that even a simply project may take a lot longer to finish (5 hours instead of 2) AND FINALLY.... 4). Find out how to purchase one of those name tag making machines that are used in the Disney parks. It seemed much easier to use.....
Old 09-23-2011, 01:49 PM   #40
disneym2m

So it has been a few days. As we get closer to the Meet I begin to realize why some Disers start their Meet months ahead of time. You need time to request help for auctions items, help for setting up, help for just putting items together, etc., AND you need help with the expenses.

When we first started planning our Meet, Cheri and I didn't want too many hands helping. But now that we have worked on our Meet for 50 days now, we now realize why some Meets have a lot of people helping and planning. I am not complaining, honestly. I am just stating the fact that a Meet, even a small one, takes a lot of time and money.

Everyday, it seems, I discover a new idea for an auction. And then it is trying to figure out how to either make the auction with little expense or I think "forget it, this is going to a good cause and who cares about the expense".

And then there comes the times when I have the idea and the solution on how to put it together and then it all crumbles. For example. I had lined up my mom to help copy a few pages for the kids' activity book. Since Staples was ridiculous in price for binding, I remembered that my old school has a binding machine. I have binding materials just sitting in a box, so I figured what not bind the books myself. I call the school and receive permission. So I sit back and figure all is well and good. Well then my mom tells me that copying the pages may be harder since the head secretary watches the copy machine like a hawk and then I receive an email from a friend who works at the school that I may not be able to use the binding machine after all.

Okay, so now what. This was suppose to be my easiest project and in a few days it all fell apart. Now I realize why you have other people help you. Because there is always someone else that may have access to the items you need and can help with the solution. But since it is only us two, I take a deep breathe and try to figure something else out.

Well, it turns out I can use the binding machine but I had to volunteer to help with a school event and the copier lunatic is on vacation. So yes, things did work out, but it was touch and go for a while....

So another lesson learned. When planning a Meet, look for additional Disers to help you with the Meet and don't be shy about asking for help. There is always a Diser out there willing to help.

P.S. We have additional Disers helping us set up for our Meet. I am so happy.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:42 PM   #41
disneym2m

When you cancel your attendance for a Dis Meet

With Pete's recent announcement canceling his appearance at the Grapevine, Texas meet it had me wondering. How many Disers will cancel due to the fact that Pete and Walter weren't able to attend? I realized that when Pete posted on our Virginia Dis Meet thread that he was attending there was an increase in the number of Disers wanting to attend.

So what happens when Pete, Walter, or any other Podcast member has to cancel due to something happening in their lives? Any thoughts or ideas.

Disers cancel on the Dis Meet they are going to attend.

Now let me share with you what that does. When a Dis Meet is planned, it is planned on the number of guests who have signed up. The location size, the number of auction items, cupcakes, souvenirs, etc. all have to come into consideration. That is why we ask who is interested in attending. Now when planning a Meet, for example our Meet who has 56 Disers attending, we plan for 56 Disers with the understanding that things will happen and Disers may cancel. No big deal. We understand about deaths in the family, or a family member is sick, or the house is gone due to a storm. But when you cancel just because Pete or Walter or whomever cancels their appearance that really isn't fair to the people planning the Dis Meet.

For our Meet, Cheri and I have asked corporations to donate money (which we haven't received any response) or items. Since that isn't going really well, the money for everything is coming out of our pockets. We are not complaining we are happy do to it. WHY???

Because a Dis Meet is a chance to meet other Disney fans and now it is a chance to help such a worthy cause; GKTW. A Dis Meet is NOT a place to meet Pete, Walter, or the Podcast crew only; instead it is a bonus surprise.

So PLEASE if you say that you will attend a Dis Meet and cancel, remember all the time and money that was put into this Meet just for you. PLEASE make sure that the reason to cancel is NOT because Pete or whomever can't attend. But an actual emergency type situation.

Our Dis Meets serve a greater purpose these days. And if you cancel because you can't meet a Podcast member you are not only hurting the people that put their hearts and souls into putting the Meet together BUT you are also hurting some amazing children who need help.

Again I am not yelling at anyone in particular or chastising anyone, so please don't send mean emails. I just wanted everyone to know that a lot goes into a Dis Meet and if cancel for not such a good reason then it hurts more than just a few people.

But here is something to think about.....

If you planned on attending a Dis Meet and can't because your Boa Constrictor cut the power from your house and you can't wash clothes and you become contagiously sick then, please at least think about donating to one of the many First Giving pages supporting the Power of 10:GKTW. And make a note that it was in honor of a Dis Meet that you couldn't attend. At least you can help in another small way.

There are many to choose from:
http://www.firstgiving.com/app/Searc...r&ptype=home_a

Last edited by disneym2m; 10-01-2011 at 08:41 PM.
Old 10-01-2011, 01:08 PM   #42
Robin"D"
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneym2m View Post
With Pete's recent announcement canceling his appearance at the Grapevine, Texas meet it had me wondering. How many Disers will cancel due to the fact that Pete and Walter weren't able to attend? I realized that when Pete posted on our Virginia Dis Meet thread that he was attending there was an increase in the number of Disers wanting to attend.

So what happens when Pete, Walter, or any other Podcast member has to cancel due to something happening in there lives? Any thoughts or ideas.

Disers cancel on the Dis Meet they are going to attend.

Now let me share with you what that does. When a Dis Meet is planned, it is planned on the number of guests who have signed up. The location size, the number of auction items, cupcakes, souvenirs, etc. all have to come into consideration. That is why we ask who is interested in attending. Now when planning a Meet, for example our Meet who has 56 Disers attending, we plan for 56 Disers with the understanding that things will happen and Disers may cancel. No big deal. We understand about deaths in the family, or a family member is sick, or the house is gone due to a storm. But when you cancel just because Pete or Walter or whomever cancels their appearance that really isn't fair to the people planning the Dis Meet.

For our Meet, Cheri and I have asked corporations to donate money (which we haven't received any response) or items. Since that isn't going really well, the money for everything is coming out of our pockets. We are not complaining we are happy do to it. WHY???

Because a Dis Meet is a chance to meet other Disney fans and now it is a chance to help such a worthy cause; GKTW. A Dis Meet is NOT a place to meet Pete, Walter, or the Podcast crew only; instead it is a bonus surprise.

So PLEASE if you say that you will attend a Dis Meet and cancel, remember all the time and money that was put into this Meet just for you. PLEASE make sure that the reason to cancel is NOT because Pete or whomever can't attend. But an actual emergency type situation.

Our Dis Meets serve a greater purpose these days. And if you cancel because you can't meet a Podcast member you are not only hurting the people that put their hearts and souls into putting the Meet together BUT you are also hurting some amazing children who need help.

Again I am not yelling at anyone in particular or chastising anyone, so please don't send mean emails. I just wanted everyone to know that a lot goes into a Dis Meet and if cancel for not such a good reason then it hurts more than just a few people.

But here is something to think about.....

If you planned on attending a Dis Meet and can't because your Boa Constrictor cut the power from your house and you can't wash clothes and you become contagiously sick then, please at least think about donating to one of the many First Giving pages supporting the Power of 10:GKTW. And make a note that it was in honor of a Dis Meet that you couldn't attend. At least you can help in another small way.

There are many to choose from:
http://www.firstgiving.com/app/Searc...r&ptype=home_a
Very well put!
Polynesian: 1992
Dixie Landings: 1993
Shades of Green (opening weekend): 1994
Animal Kingdom Lodge 2004/ retired from U.S.Army
PO/ French Quarter: 2009 (became DVC owners BLT)Bay Lake Towers: 2010
Disney's Animal Kingdom Villas - Kidani Village: DW 1st MVMCP DEC 2011/1st stay@ SSR/ taking Mom to her 1st MVMCP NOV 2012
DisneyLand: 1st Visit "EVER" / GC/ April 2012/ VWL SEPT '13/Jan '14 GFV: Animal Kingdom 1BR/FEB'14 [before the Dream Cruise]
NOV '14 SSR/ DW 1st visit [heading to Podcast 5.0] After PODCAST 5:Coronado Springs DEC '14
DCL:
EC/Magic: 2002 WC/Magic: 2009 EC/Magic: 2010
LA ~ Vancouver repo: April 2011Vancouver ~ Alaska (Maiden Alaska Cruise) May 2011 added pts. to SSSR
/
Hawaii Maiden Cruise APR 2012 / 4~day Bahama's "Wonder" Cruise May 2013/
WBPC May 6th 2013 Wonder/ EC & WC 1st & 2nd Cruise on "NEW SHIPS" Fantasy SEPT 7th & 14th
1st time as a Platinum member Cruise/ WC FEB 1st ~ 8th/ 2014 Fantasy FEB 9~13 1st time on the Dream/Completing the "Grand Slam Of DCL Ships!"
EBPC SEP 12-26 '14 bring the Wonder home WC / Magic on Pod Cast 5.0 NOV 30th ~Dec7th '14/ EBTA May 15th 2015, “our 25th" Wedding anniversary b2b Cruise/ Magic 1st N. Europe Cruise, May 30th 2015/ Magic
Robin"D" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 08:42 PM   #43
disneym2m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin"D" View Post
Very well put!
Thank you for your support Robin. I didn't want to sound mean but wanted to share some feelings. See you soon.

Last edited by disneym2m; 10-02-2011 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:09 AM   #44
Cherinva

If my count is correct, we have only 39 days left before our meet It's going to be a great time and I look forward to meeting everyone !!!

Old 10-16-2011, 04:56 PM   #45
disneym2m

There is four weeks left until our Meet.

Now I am getting a little nervous.

When Cheri and I started to plan for our Meet. I knew how much time we had. I made a plan on what to do and how long each project should take. I was set and organized.....

What in the world has happened?!?!?! I just realized we have 27 days and I am no where near finished. Those who have planned any type of party understand my dilemma. You plan, you figure out how long each project will take, and somehow you run out of time.

Cheri and I had to make 56 name tags. It didn't seem like a big project. Two hours top to laminate, cut, and glue on the clasps. WHATEVER!!! Cheri laminated the tags, so I am not sure how long it took her. She mailed me the laminated tags and I received them in the mail. The next day I sat down and start trimming out the unnecessary paper. It took me 3 hours to trim 56 tags. Then I had to glue the clasps to the back...no problem. Yeah, okay it took me 1 and half hours. So a project that I thought would only take 2 hours, took 4 and half....

I am not complaining. I am actually smiling that the ideas we have in our heads don't just seem to match real life time. Last Friday, everything seemed to go wrong. My volunteer to make cupcakes may bail. My surprise from my friend in France will probably not happen. Glitter glue is a pain in the butt to use. Some people who offer to help donate something revoked their offer. The list just went on and on. I did actually shed a tear for being so tired and just overwhelmed by everything that happened this day. I had to step away.

My door bell rang and it was the Mailman. He handed me a box. I opened it and inside was a Mickey Halloween popcorn bucket. My friends Lois (parrotheadlois) and Greg (DUHGreg) sent it to me from WDW. It just made my day. All these "bad" things were happening and was falling apart, but this Halloween popcorn bucket just made me feel better. I took a deep breathe and finished the name tags.

Yay, one project down and just a few more to go. I am sure I will feel overwhelmed as each day passes, but I keep telling myself that the main reason for this Meet is to meet other Disers and support some great kids.

This makes all this "mess" worth it. Off to my next project.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: