Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Gay and Lesbian at Disney
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2011, 10:17 PM   #31
NEDisneyFans
DIS Veteran

This has happened -- my reply "actually, I prefer the word 'lesbian' -- why do you ask?"

WDW: AKL & BLT 6/14; BWV 3/13; BWV 3/12; BWV 6/10; AKL 6/09; SSR 1/09; POP 2/07, 3/06, 2/05; BWV 5/04
DLR: Good Neighbor 10/11; GCH 4/08
DCL: Magic 10/06 (Disneymoon!)

2014 Reading Goal: 55 Books
NEDisneyFans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:14 PM   #32
CamoMama
DIS Veteran

Funny, I've had that question asked a few times. It has never bothered me. I am pretty open about my sex life (well, lack thereof), and most of those who have asked know that I've been celibate for about 7 years. Most of the time the question stems from a discussion abut dating, often it's a friend who wants to set me up with someone because they can't believe that I'm celibate by choice. There is now a betting pool about when I will start dating again. I find it really amusing. Right now I'm being a mom to an autistic 16 year old and a 14 year old who just came out of the closet. I have a lot to deal with without adding dating drama into the mix, right?

Feb/Mar 2014 - DLR Diva Trip - GCH
Feb/Mar 2013 - DLR Diva Trip - HoJo's
July 2012 - DLR - Anaheim Carriage Inn (never again)
May 2012 - DLR - Motel 6 ~ Read my solo trip report here!
February 2012 - CBR
July 2010 - DLR - Embassy Suites
1978-1990 - DLR - multiple trips, all offsite
CamoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-07-2012, 12:07 AM   #33
amykathleen2005
Wishing....

If someone really wanted to know the most appropriate way would probably ask "Do you have a boyfriend or girlfriend? Or are you single?" That gives the chance to elaborate but it can also be yes or no.
2011-Pop Century
May 2014-All Star Movies!
amykathleen2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:31 PM   #34
dgr1973
DIS Veteran

No it would not bother me although I would want to know why since I am straight. I think I would be much more offended if someone asked me when is my baby due even though I am not pregnant!
dgr1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:43 PM   #35
jjjmranch
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgr1973 View Post
No it would not bother me although I would want to know why since I am straight. I think I would be much more offended if someone asked me when is my baby due even though I am not pregnant!

I've had that happen to me! I was wearing an oversized coat and was approached by some woman in a drugstore and she asked me that!

Then I did something stupid and asked my son's 1st grade teacher when she was due and she replied, it's just my tummy! Was my face red!!!!!

jjjmranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:56 PM   #36
PrincessKsMom

OMG you should see me when I'm driving
I'm pretty sure the minute I open my mouth no one would have to ask the question

Same rule I use regarding asking a woman if she's pregnant -- Don't Ask, They'll Tell (if they want you to know). I'm a straight woman and honestly, it's none of my business whether someone else is gay or straight.

Stolen from SCHBR'sMom, who stole it from Wickey, who stole it from Kimmar.
LETS ALL DO THE BROONY \ 0 / TagGate 2011
PrincessKsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:04 PM   #37
Captain Hookup
Earning My Ears

The pregnant aspect works both ways...

one morning I was opening a store in which i was working.
We couldnt open the doors until 9 and a woman in a fur coat was outside at 10 minuted before 9.

She yelled at us for not letting her in sooner because she was pregnant.
I honestly thought it was just her belly. she yelled at me pretty good!
Captain Hookup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:08 PM   #38
bubblybackflips
Earning My Ears

Agreed with other people: it would definitely depend on who was asking!
bubblybackflips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:25 AM   #39
gottaluvPluto
Loving everything Disney!

My daughter (14) has been asked several times by strangers if she is gay because they wanted to go out with her. Now she isn't gay, but she doesn't understand why complete strangers ask her that question and why they would ask a complete stranger on a date. She does get upset by the question.

The greatest gifts you can give your children are the roots of responsibility and the wings of independence.
gottaluvPluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 02:13 AM   #40
mellers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstcruise View Post
This question came up at work today and so I thought I'd post somewhere were LGBT and straight people could answer.

How would you respond if some asked if you were gay? Would you be offended?

My response was that I would say I'm gay and it wouldn't offend me no matter who asked. I've been out to everyone for a very long time, so it's not a big deal to me and most everyone knows.

I'm inclinded to see the responses from fellow LGBT and straight people. How would you respond?

One thing I did say was I would follow up their question with one of my own...Why do you ask?
I am straight, but I have been asked several times if I was gay. It doesn't particularly offend me. I usually respond "Why do you care?" and then I look politely confused. I have never, however, been asked such a question in the workplace. Regardless of my sexual orientation, I think I would say something to the effect of, "That's not really an appropriate question to be asking in the workplace."

If I were really ticked off, I'd ask, "Are you straight?" However, it's not as appropriate as the other response.

In general, I don't ask people what their sexual orientation is. I sometimes try to fish around if it appears two people are together to see what the appropriate salutation should be (I don't want to call somebody's husband his boyfriend, or think that a woman's brother is her boyfriend,) but even then I usually just introduce myself and my husband, stick out my hand and hope they'll do the same.

mellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:51 PM   #41
dbbydk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hookup View Post
The pregnant aspect works both ways...

one morning I was opening a store in which i was working.
We couldnt open the doors until 9 and a woman in a fur coat was outside at 10 minuted before 9.

She yelled at us for not letting her in sooner because she was pregnant.
I honestly thought it was just her belly. she yelled at me pretty good!
That's just wrong on her part... did she think the store hours were '9 to whatever, unless you are pregnant and 10 minutes early and then by all means we will open the door for you because you obviously can't read or tell time'?

I've been pregnant. I've also been early to a store. I've never yelled because the store didn't let me in early.

Plus, she was wearing fur.
DL- 2000 (Honeymoon at the Hyatt)
DL- 2008 (First trip with kids) AKA: The Trip Daddy (& Mommy) Got Salmonella from the Airline Peanuts...
DL- 2009, 2010 (Fairfield)

DL- 2012 One More Disney Day Sweepstakes Winner!!

dbbydk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 01:09 PM   #42
mellers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottaluvPluto View Post
My daughter (14) has been asked several times by strangers if she is gay because they wanted to go out with her. Now she isn't gay, but she doesn't understand why complete strangers ask her that question and why they would ask a complete stranger on a date. She does get upset by the question.
Unless the stranger was 15 or younger, or she looks much, much, older than she is, I would consider that totally inappropriate on many levels. Nobody over the age of about 15 should be trying to ask a 14-year-old on a date--regardless of his or her sexual orientation. And, I also agree with your daughter on this point--it's not appropriate for a complete stranger of any age to ask her on a date.

mellers is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: