Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2011, 10:01 AM   #1
coozieman
Mouseketeer

The cat is out of the bag - FINALLY!

We leave for the World in 20 days and tried my best to hold off telling my 8 year old DS he news, but couldn't wait any longer.

Started off the day yesterday by adding Disney items to his "Treasure Chest" - first a Hidden Mickey book, followed by a lanyard and lastly 20 pins that I bought from Ebay for $20! Everytime I had the chance, i would drop another one into the chest - it was priceless. He is such a HUGE believer in Disney magic and was/is convinved that Tink was adding these items.

Fast forward to the evening when we returned home from a Birthday party and a mysterious clue was in his treasure chest and the hunt for additional clues began

Take a look at the video I posted to see how it all unraveled (it's a bit long - with the actual suprise piece can be found at the 9 minute mark)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj9lQoarP0A

coozieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:06 AM   #2
JKMJ441724
Um, I'm going to go with "NO."

Can't watch the video from work, but I'm subbing so I can check it out later!!!!

I'm so excited for you guys!!!!!

JKMJ441724 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-29-2011, 10:08 AM   #3
PIRATEGIRL007
DIS Cast Member
OMG! I am about to jump up and down!
real technical words, aren't they!

Lol gotta say I love how he looked right at the ice cream sandwiches with the clue under them and moved them and still missed it for a second. He is ALL BOY, that's a man in the making right there!
PIRATEGIRL007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:17 AM   #4
PIRATEGIRL007
DIS Cast Member
OMG! I am about to jump up and down!
real technical words, aren't they!

That was just precious it took a few minutes for him to sink in he looks like he is in shock! The travel docs being the pirate themed pack were pefect for a treasure hunt set up.
PIRATEGIRL007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:42 AM   #5
coozieman
Mouseketeer

The pure innocence is what gets me. He so so believes in everything Disney - came to his own conclusion that ALL of the characters are real - and I refuse to interfere with his beliefs (even if my family doesn't necessarily agree with me on that)
Old 07-29-2011, 10:55 AM   #6
eastcarolinafan
When I put on my Mickey ears I can hear Small World.

It's not for the kids, is it?

I've come to the realization, after having done the "surprise" myself, that children simply do not react the way we want them to when they are told unexpectedly.

They are surprised, yes, but they are not the falling down praising Jesus, shocked at the realization that a trip to WDW is coming and happier than if they had won a pound of chocolate everyday for a year. In addition, when they are told -- and react naturally -- they soon realize their reaction is not what we want and then try to feign overwhelming excitement. I know my girl did. I've seen neighbors do the same. YouTube is chock full of these "reactions."

Truthfully, the best reactions are from us, the WDW faithful. I PROMISE you that if my wife ever surprised me with a trip to the World, I would react in the very fashion we would like to see from our kids. So would you. My daughter was surprised, yes, but not like I wanted her to be. Still, she was being true to herself until she remembered she was on camera and played to that.

It's not for the kids. It's for us.

If we really want that reaction, surprise a spouse. Shock a grownup. I can tell you then you will get the reaction you seek.

Sad, but I believe it's true.

2008, Carribbean Beach Resort (my first trip to WDW!; 2009, Port Orleans Riverside; 2012, Coranado Springs; and in 2014, Sophie's Polynesian extavaganza

Last edited by eastcarolinafan; 07-29-2011 at 11:09 AM.
eastcarolinafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:59 AM   #7
coozieman
Mouseketeer

His reaction was absolutely priceless to me. The smile on his face and the look in his eyes......

Exactly the reaction i was hoping for! Not to mention, he's 101% out of his mind today!
Old 07-29-2011, 11:10 AM   #8
eastcarolinafan

Quote:
Originally Posted by coozieman View Post
His reaction was absolutely priceless to me. The smile on his face and the look in his eyes......

Exactly the reaction i was hoping for! Not to mention, he's 101% out of his mind today!
Then, indeed, that is all anybody can ask for. I am excited it worked out for you. Truly, I am.

2008, Carribbean Beach Resort (my first trip to WDW!; 2009, Port Orleans Riverside; 2012, Coranado Springs; and in 2014, Sophie's Polynesian extavaganza
Old 07-29-2011, 11:15 AM   #9
weheartdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcarolinafan View Post
I've come to the realization, after having done the "surprise" myself, that children simply do not react the way we want them to when they are told unexpectedly.

They are surprised, yes, but they are not the falling down praising Jesus, shocked at the realization that a trip to WDW is coming and happier than if they had won a pound of chocolate everyday for a year. In addition, when they are told -- and react naturally -- they soon realize their reaction is not what we want and then try to feign overwhelming excitement. I know my girl did. I've seen neighbors do the same. YouTube is chock full of these "reactions."

Truthfully, the best reactions are from us, the WDW faithful. I PROMISE you that if my wife ever surprised me with a trip to the World, I would react in the very fashion we would like to see from our kids. So would you.

It's not for the kids. It's for us.

If we really want that reaction, surprise a spouse. Shock a grownup. I can tell you then you will get the reaction you seek.

Sad, but I believe it's true.

I agree about surprising ME with a trip. I would definitely give a WONDERFUL reaction.

My oldest son is as crazy as I am about Disney. He jumped around screaming the two times we've surprised them before with trips (6 both times). Our youngest (2 both times) was too young to understand.

I see you are an ECU fan. Will you be making the trip to Charlotte for the ECU/USC game Sepetmber 3rd? We will be there cheering for the Gamecocks!
Coronado Springs Resort (October 2012)

weheartdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 11:16 AM   #10
PewamoGirl
Mouseketeer

this was so fun to watch, I hope that your family has a great trip

I have to think on the rest. We've stayed at POFQ, POR, CBR, CSR, BWV, Poly, Pop, FW cabins, ASM, (with my bff Amanada), WL, and SSR

PewamoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 11:26 AM   #11
eastcarolinafan

Quote:
Originally Posted by weheartdisney View Post
I agree about surprising ME with a trip. I would definitely give a WONDERFUL reaction.

My oldest son is as crazy as I am about Disney. He jumped around screaming the two times we've surprised them before with trips (6 both times). Our youngest (2 both times) was too young to understand.

I see you are an ECU fan. Will you be making the trip to Charlotte for the ECU/USC game Sepetmber 3rd? We will be there cheering for the Gamecocks!
The Pirates and the Gamecocks have a friendly history. I am very excited about renewing the series. Sadly, I won't be making the trip to Charlotte. The economy has not been kind to this Pirate lately and I will have to watch it some other way.

I'm not happy about opening our season with such a high-caliber team, and I fear for the Purple and Gold.

Still, best of luck to you and yours. I hope it's an awesome game with a Pirate win!

Old 07-29-2011, 11:38 AM   #12
weheartdisney
DIS Veteran

I finally got the video to play and watched it. Loved watching him decipher the clues and figure out where to go for his next clue. Such a cutie pie. Have a wonderful trip!!
Coronado Springs Resort (October 2012)

weheartdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 11:40 AM   #13
Kewz1
DIS Veteran

What a cutie! Thanks for sharing!

Kristen
Disney 5K:2003
DCL:2000 (Wonder/Bahamas), 2008 (Magic/W. Caribbean), 2011 (Dream/Bahamas), 2013 (Magic/EB Transatlantic), 2014 (Dream/Mexico)... and now May 2015 (Dream/Bahamas)!

Kewz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 11:52 AM   #14
tangled23
Mouseketeer

So cute!!! Great job with the treasure hunt, it looked like so much fun!!

tangled23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:14 PM   #15
coozieman
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: