Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2012, 09:11 AM   #676
MEK
DIS Veteran

Oh wait - FB will work too!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:09 AM   #677
tinacaplan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 View Post
I am one of those. I grew up in Minnesota - spent 3 yrs in ND - we're talking 30 below on a normal day sometimes - 50 below with the wind. You would think I would never be cold, right? Well, after spending time in the tropics of Okinawa, and then a year in Calif. - I still hate the cold after living here 20 years. I think it has been the snow and wind during baseball season that ruined it for me. Anyway - this is our last winter - we are headed for Phoenix and I can't wait!
That's great! I would move to Florida in a heartbeat if I could.

And, Cynthia, that's true...humidity and the 80's are no fun without A/C. And I think I have some idea of what you mean. When I was i school, I went on a school trip to Ireland over April vacation, thinking the temps and everything would be like April here. Um...no. I was so cold. Did something similar in Chicago, too. It was freakish and in the 80s my first two days out there and then the temperatures plummeted by forty degrees, I was totally unprepared for it.
AofA - 2012
SSR - 2012
OKW - 2012

tinacaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-14-2012, 08:17 PM   #679
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Great Update !!!You hit the souvenir Jackpot I love those Tees that are cheap !!!!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
englishrose47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:09 PM   #680
mickeysmyboy

DIS Veteran

Well, it looks like you had a good day in Ketchikan, weather be darned! Love the picture of Evan in the hat!! Ummmm, I'm glad you got the jacket back! I would have been a bit annoyed if I were you!
Old 01-14-2012, 10:42 PM   #681
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
Great Update !!!You hit the souvenir Jackpot I love those Tees that are cheap !!!!
I love tees that are cheap IF people actually wear them. Cheap isn't much good if they don't like them but since they picked out their own things...it's all been worn quite a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeysmyboy View Post
Well, it looks like you had a good day in Ketchikan, weather be darned! Love the picture of Evan in the hat!! Ummmm, I'm glad you got the jacket back! I would have been a bit annoyed if I were you!
I was annoyed. Would have been far more annoyed had the spot he'd left it in been farther away and had it not been there! Lucky for him it added at most 10 minutes to our re-boarding so in the big picture, pretty painless.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:52 AM   #682
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

Looks like it was a fun, albeit at times, soggy day in Ketchikan. You were able to score some great photos, and thank goodness you were able to retrieve the jacket. That's something that would have happened with one of my two. They lose everything!
Charleston Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 01:33 PM   #683
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

the town looks really cute, better add rain gear to the packing list though
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:03 PM   #684
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

I'm almost caught up. Looks like a great day despite the weather.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:39 PM   #685
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
Looks like it was a fun, albeit at times, soggy day in Ketchikan. You were able to score some great photos, and thank goodness you were able to retrieve the jacket. That's something that would have happened with one of my two. They lose everything!
It was a fun day. Thank goodness for the jacket, it would not have gone well for him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
the town looks really cute, better add rain gear to the packing list though
Rain gear but you can go light, just rain pants, shoes that can get wet and a rain jacket or waterproof shell will work. Make sure they have a hood though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
I'm almost caught up. Looks like a great day despite the weather.
Hi! I went a while between updates so hopefully it isn't too bad! Almost have another one ready to post. It really was a good day!
Old 01-15-2012, 10:52 PM   #686
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

It's a small world and it's full of pirates!

Back on the ship we all had agendas. The boys wanted a movie, Gnomeo and Juliet to be specific. That surprised me but hey, whatever. We wanted…the hot tub! Sure it was drizzly but it wasn’t all that cold. We poured ourselves a beer and headed up to the adult pool area. Surprisingly, there were people in both hot tubs and a few more than we felt comfortable joining. The pool was theoretically only a few degrees cooler so we figured we’d check it out. And…it was warm and lovely! It was fun and very Seattle ish actually, to be out in the drizzle, in a warm pool in upper 40ish weather. Right about when we finished our beer, one of the larger groups left one of the hot tubs so we moved over. While Jeff went for a refill from Signals, I got cozy in the tub. We were alone for maybe..10 minutes.

Soon we were joined by a couple of women, a mom and her college aged daughter.

“Jeff?”

“Is that you?”

The mom asked. She recognized Jeff from a trip he’d made to Australia, about 9 years prior with a work friend. She was a friend of his friend and the families had all met up while there. He felt horrible for not recognizing her! We did joke quite a bit about the weather. They were from Vancouver BC and we joked that the only folks out in the pool and the hot tub were “local”. We all wanted to hit the ventriloquist show but they left quite a bit earlier than we did, only staying in the hot tub for a little bit, and Jeff felt bad, he wanted to catch up. Back in the stateroom we all got ready for dinner, thanks to the boys seeing a movie instead of hitting the pool we didn’t have to fight for the shower. The boys did have a little bit of extra getting ready to to…it was pirate night! Our room had been a bit pirated before we’d gotten back, the dogs had dubloons! And had been joined by an Elephant.

Prior to the cruise, I’d read a number of reports that not very many people dressed up for pirate night. It was our first one and I didn’t really know what to expect, especially in Alaska. I’d made the boys shirts and they’d packed a few accessories and more had arrived in our FE. They had fun getting ready.

After getting our Arrgh on, we headed to the Walt Disney theater before dinner for the show and we sat down, Jeff and I with a rum and coke in hand brought from the room, it seemed appropriate for the evening. The comedian/ventriloquist was hysterical! It was a wonderful start to the night. We popped back to the room for a refill and somehow, that inspired Eric to do a pirate dance.

It wore him out

This is what Evan had to say about the whole thing

Pre-dinner dance done, we headed to dinner. I was pleasantly surprised to see the vast majority of people…dressed up! Lots and lots of pirates, big and small and a plethora of wenches. Dinner was in Parrot Cay, perfect for pirate night!

The boys had fun…being boys

Personally, I liked the big pirate. You can tell he had another rum and coke with dinner.

After dinner we went to check out the pirate party. They’d moved it inside and while I tried to get the kids interested…they weren’t. It was crowded, you couldn’t see, and it was characters dancing in the lobby. Or at least that’s what they got out of it. If there was a special buffet, we missed it. Still, they had a fun dressing up and dinner was a blast. As for Jeff and I…we got a blinking pirate light up cup filled with the DOTD on some kind of buy one get one deal at far less than the normal price. Like 6 bucks for two. So…why not! It was actually on the watered down side but at 3 bucks each who cares.

The kids decided they’d prefer to do a little more pin trading and go to bed (i.e. watch TV in the stateroom) and Jeff and I decided to…go watch Pirates! We hadn’t seen it yet, though both boys had. So we tucked them in and headed to our late night show. It was a ton of fun, and perfect with our pirate drinks. I will say though, I am looking forward to checking out the theater on the Dream. The Buena Vista theater on the Wonder is so tall and narrow that no matter where we sat in it, I felt like I got jostled by people behind me and it was hard to get comfy. I can’t imagine how uncomfortable it would be if you were really tall! Though we both barely made it to the end without nodding off, we said good night to Jack and tucked ourselves in knowing that the next day, would be our last full day.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:45 AM   #687
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

How funny that Jeff ran into someone he knew on the cruise! What are the odds?

Cute pictures from the Pirate Night -- the boys look like they had a lot of fun! Too bad you missed the dessert buffet. Oh well, there is always the next cruise!
Charleston Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:37 AM   #688
tinacaplan
DIS Veteran

Pirate night definitely looks like it was a good time. And I would have probably been out there in the pool, too!
AofA - 2012
SSR - 2012
OKW - 2012

tinacaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:00 AM   #689
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

We didn't do Pirate on our 4 night cruise because we went to Palo that night. I've now got a full on pirate outfit but I don't think i'll have room in my suitcase sadly.
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:26 AM   #690
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
How funny that Jeff ran into someone he knew on the cruise! What are the odds?
It was funny! It is a small world and I swear, the older I get, the smaller. I mean the other family with boys on our ziplining were from our area and our table mates were from Jeff's old stomping grounds, stuff like that happened the entire cruise.

Quote:
Cute pictures from the Pirate Night -- the boys look like they had a lot of fun! Too bad you missed the dessert buffet. Oh well, there is always the next cruise!
I'm not sure if there was a dessert buffet, or a food buffet for that matter. Because it was in the atrium it was pretty darn crowded and I'm not sure where they'd have put the buffet. We just finished dinner anyway so it's not like we could have eaten a darn thing. The boys had fun getting dressed up, I was glad they weren't "too old" for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinacaplan View Post
Pirate night definitely looks like it was a good time. And I would have probably been out there in the pool, too!
It was fun and the pool and hot tub felt lovely! On the Alaska cruise they kept the pools in the 80's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
We didn't do Pirate on our 4 night cruise because we went to Palo that night. I've now got a full on pirate outfit but I don't think i'll have room in my suitcase sadly.
Oh you should make room! Tons of adults were dressed up.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: