Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2012, 01:20 PM   #631
closetmickey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
Thanks and

Thanks!

I'm not sure what they are for the 2012 one but I know when the announced Seattle as the departure there were a lot of complaints about shorter port times as a result of that change. Since we live here were were happy we left out of Vancouver on ours, I've done the trip by ship many times and would have felt like I was seeing things I'd already seen.

We had 12 hours in Skagway, 8.5 in Juneau and 7.5 in Ketchikan. Initially I was a little worried about the shorter times in Juneau and Ketchikan but it worked out fine. We could have used another hour or 2 in Juneau (but then I'd have probably skipped the workout with a view so it's likely for the best) but Ketchikan was fine. Then again, we didn't have an excursion in Ketchikan. If we had I might have felt it was a little short, not sure.

They are quite a bit shorter this summer, then. Juneau's port time is 7:45-2:00 and Ketchikan is only 7:15-12:30!

4/14- 7nt Eastern on the FANTASY! 11/13- Weekend at DLR and stay at Disneyland Hotel
8/13- CR at WDW/ 4nt Cruise on DREAM! 6/12- Poly/POR Split Stay at WDW
8/11- DLR and stay at Grand Californian 1/11- 2 night Cruise to Nowhere on WONDER
10/10- DLR/ Mickey's Halloween Party and stay at Paradise Pier
2/10- WDW and a Week stay at the AKL 2/10- 4 Night Bahamas Cruise on DCL WONDER
6/09- DLR- Stay at Paradise Pier 4/09- DLR/ Club 33- Stay at Disneyland Hotel
10/08- Halloween Party at DCA 3/08- 3 Night Bahamas Cruise on DCL WONDER
2/08- WDW and stay at The Beach Club 10/07- Halloween Party at DCA and stay at GCH
Other trips to DLR- too many to count since 1969
closetmickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 02:22 PM   #632
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by closetmickey View Post
They are quite a bit shorter this summer, then. Juneau's port time is 7:45-2:00 and Ketchikan is only 7:15-12:30!
Ugh, that's quite a bit shorter! The crummy part about the early times like that is a lot of things aren't even open when you get into port. We had enough time that we never hit the ground right away, not heading into port until about 9-9:30 am.

I guess with those times I'd shoot for early excursions if you are doing any, but it'd be hard to do any that include much in the way of a lunch, it'd be more like brunch! If you aren't doing excursions, you'll be fine though. A lot of the excursions are pretty long though, I wonder if they will adjust the offerings, you could use up your entire port time on some of them and some flat out wouldn't work at all.

On the plus side you do get Victoria but the times are really really odd in the reverse as I can't imagine that much is open that late beyond having dinner and even dinner might be a challenge on a Sunday night!
Register to remove

Old 01-05-2012, 02:58 PM   #633
Poolrat
I am alive, sometimes I wonder too!
I probably would be glued to the side

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
The workout with a view is a serious benefit, and motivator! I thought of you yesterday as I went in for my sinus surgery. It was a septoplasty plus a bilateral sinus drainage procedure (roto rooter + re-route lol). This whole not being able to blow my nose thing is hard!
I would blot and actually position the tissues so that I am not sticking them up my nose but close. After a while a gentle blow would do the trick.

I hope you are feeling relief soon and back to yourself in a couple of days.
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL
Can't wait to go back
Poolrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:34 AM   #634
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
I would blot and actually position the tissues so that I am not sticking them up my nose but close. After a while a gentle blow would do the trick.

I hope you are feeling relief soon and back to yourself in a couple of days.
I'll be glad when I am allowed to do a gentle blow. I was doing that with the tissues yesterday, today is all about the sneezing. YUCK! It is a ton better mind you and I'm sure will continue to be so. Then again, pain meds help.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:18 PM   #635
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Characters and more Characters!

Today would be our last day in port. However we weren’t getting to port until 12:30 which meant for a nice morning on board.

Jeff and I got up, left the kids happily parked in front of the TV and went for our morning stroll around the promenade ,putting in our little 1 mile walk. It was pretty grey and drippy out, and windy! As we’d round the corners we’d feel ourselves blow…literally!. Still, it was nice to be out and though the weather did not look good we were glad that this was the one port we hadn’t booked an excursion in. We’d really hoped to do a hike, having found a great one we could walk to from the dock but the weather indicated it would be rather pointless. Most likely just wet, muddy and no views which did bum us out, we’d all been looking forward to the hike. Without it…we didn’t really have a plan, the only other option we’d considered that wasn’t outdoors, the Lumberjack show, didn’t thrill any of the 3 boys so it seemed silly to spend the money on it. We weren’t worried though, of all the ports in some ways Ketchikan looked to be the cutest to stroll through so we hoped that would be the case and we’d just check out the town. I couldn’t get anyone interested in the Totem Pole park or museums(and to be fair, it’s not like we have a shortage of totem poles or Native American museums around here ) so we decided to just head in after breakfast and play it by ear.
Walk complete we filled our mugs with hot water to make some Via in the room before getting the troops up and heading to breakfast. 7 night cruises include a character breakfast and today was ours!

Breakfast was in Parrot Cay. I like Parrot Cay, I like the theming of it and the characters were dressed to match it. Which…is fun but I really think that for the Alaska cruise it would have been far cooler to have them in their Alaska outfits. They seemed a little out of place in their tropical outfits. Oh well. It was a menu breakfast, nothing all that exciting but it hit the spot. In general I would say breakfast is a weaker spot in the food line up on board. That said, we didn’t try sit down breakfast at Triton’s which may be a more expanded menu, nor did we try it for lunch and that might cause me to revisit my opinion on that. It was fine but very basic. I’ll probably stick to the buffet for breakfast on the next cruise and if we do the 4 day one, there won’t be a character breakfast anyway. Dinners more than made up for it and is all we really cared about so it really wasn’t a big deal.
While we were ordering, the characters started making the rounds. In typical Disney Character Breakfast it was the rushed interaction, making sure they did the whole room, CM’s checking to see who had been by yet and moving them along quickly.

Pluto

Minnie

Chip

While character breakfast on a cruise works pretty much the same as one in WDW…there is the exception of the CM’s decorating you!

With napkins.

Everyone gets to be a character this way.

First up, Peter Pan

Goofy

Pluto

And I got Pocahontas. Which kept falling over my eye! To get it to stay it had to be on tight and then my face was a bit squished. Not the best pics of me for sure.

Appropriately attired, the characters continued to come by

Dale

And finally the big man himself

The motley crew

It really was a very fun breakfast, even if it did feel a bit rushed. Finishing up around 11:30 we headed back to the room to get changed. Why change? Well…let’s put it this way. Ketchikan has a few nicknames.

Alaska's First City

Salmon Capital of the World

And….

Rain Capital of Alaska!

Given what we were seeing outside, we needed to dress appropriately!
Old 01-07-2012, 05:48 PM   #636
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

Hi Cynthia! Sounds like your surgery went well. I hope you are resting and recovering and that you can blow soon

The character breakfast is fun - we skipped it on our first cruise, then attended because our whole table was last time - we were glad we did!

I'm looking forward to your Ketchikan time - I thought this looked like the most fun port to walk around in.
MAGICFOR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:16 PM   #637
tinacaplan
DIS Veteran

I LOVE the funny napkin hats. Great pictures. And its nice to see the boys still enjoy the characters. I see what you mean about the attire, though...tropical? What?

Hope you're feeling better, too!
AofA - 2012
SSR - 2012
OKW - 2012

tinacaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:10 PM   #638
Poolrat
I am alive, sometimes I wonder too!
I probably would be glued to the side

Looks like a fun breakfast. I like the different napkin hats.

I hope you continue to heal and can blow your nose real soon.
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL
Can't wait to go back
Poolrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:22 PM   #640
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

The pictures from your excursion of the glacier RIGHT THERE made me shout for Joe...he agreed - veryyyyyyy cool. Even Henry said, "Wow!" Beautiful, beautiful!

Love the character breakfast pictures! I have seen those in other TRs but had never heard the description of WHAT they were, love that they are representing various characters!
Feb 2014 - Vero Beach ... Sept 2013 - CR/Disney Fantasy...March 2013 - AKL/SSR/POR ... Oct 2012 - OKW ... Sept 2012 - Disney Magic ... June 2012 - Disney Magic ... Jan 2012 - PPH/VGC ... Aug 2011 - Pop/YC/OKW ... May 2011 - ASMo ... Feb/March 2011 - BWV/BLT ... Sept 2010 - BWV ... Dec/Jan 2009/10 - AKV ... Sept 2009 - CSR ... Jan 2009 - SSR ... Nov 2008 - WL ... Oct 2006 - AKL
brookelizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:36 PM   #641
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

I think it's nice that they offer a character breakfast - then you don't have to stand in line for some characters if you don't want. But I agree on the attire. Seems just wrong on an Alaskan cruise! Your napkin headgear was cute!!

I hope your nose etc. is healing and you'll be blowing soon!!
Mndisneygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:47 PM   #642
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

I love the napkin hats!! When I fdid a cruise many years ago I was usually the only one who did the sit down breakfast I remeber ordering lox and bagels and eggs benedict , the others all preferred the buffet on deck !!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
englishrose47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:30 AM   #643
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

What a fun character breakfast! While the characters were cute in their tropical garb, I agree that it would make more sense to me to have them in their Alaskan gear. Oh well! The best characters, though, are the four of you in your napkin hats! Too funny!
Charleston Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:54 PM   #644
Happydog
DIS Veteran

Looks like a fun morning!!! I am just about ready to post my photos from our Character breakfast too!! LOL!!! Those hats look familiar, though I think I ended up with a princess thing Did you have hats with the plate covers and creamers dangling??!! LOL!!!!

Sorry the weather was a little iffy, looking forward to hearing how you faired out in town....

Twas the Night BEFORE Christmas 09?!PTR! Ho Ho Ho!Away we go!A WDW Christmas 09 TR! All aboard a WONDERful TR! Boo to YOU! Sept 09 TR
WDW 4th of July 09 PTR!I Want to Ride the Cotton Ball! July 4th 09 TR!Snow, Savannah, & NO School! Feb '10 TR Christmas fix MVMCP 2010 TR
One Family, One Year - a June '10 PTR The Ingredients for Pixie Dust - June '10 TR Disney-Landing Halloween - a Halloween '10 PTR/TR
Dream for two - Feb '11 TRSummer of Sea and Shore - June '11 PTR Strapping Turtles on our Feet! - June/July '11 TR
MY MAGICal Black Friday Thanksgiving Cruise - Nov '11 PTR/TR

Oct 2000 - Disney Magic 7 night cruise * Oct '03 - Contemporary * Oct '05 - WLV * Nov '08 - SSR * June/July '09 - OKW * Sept '09 - CBR * Dec '09 - BCV * Feb '10 - AKL * Feb '10 - Disney Wonder 3 night Cruise/Disney HH * June '10 - BLT/BCV * Oct '10 - Grand Californian * Dec '10 AKV - Kidani * February '11 - Disney Dream 4 night cruise/BLT * June '11 - Disney Dream 5 night cruise/Disney's Vero Beach/Ft. Wilderness/AKL Jambo * Oct '11 - WLV/SSR * Nov '11 Disney Magic 7 night cruise * February '12 - Disney Dream 4 night cruise/AKL Jambo * June/July '12 - BCV/WLV * Nov '12 Disney Fantasy 7 night cruise * July '13 AKV - Jambo * Sept '13 - AOA * Oct '13 - F & W SSR * Jan '14 AKV - Kidani * June '14 - BLT * August '14 Aulani * Halloween '14 Disney Wonder 5 night cruise * January '15 Disney Fantasy 7 night cruise * April '15 Disneyland resort *
Happydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:20 PM   #645
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 View Post
Hi Cynthia! Sounds like your surgery went well. I hope you are resting and recovering and that you can blow soon
Who knew blowing your nose would consume all thoughts?
Hard to tell really in terms of how well it went, sounds like it will be another week or 2 before you can really tell. Right now it's like having a rather horrible head cold with a few icky side effects. Bored out of my mind though but am being good and following doctors orders which is basically doing nothing. I over did it a bit on Friday and paid for it so I am behaving. May work from home again tomorrow, we will see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 View Post
The character breakfast is fun - we skipped it on our first cruise, then attended because our whole table was last time - we were glad we did!

I'm looking forward to your Ketchikan time - I thought this looked like the most fun port to walk around in.
I'm glad we went, no reason not to and it was a ton of fun. Our table mates all got Minnie bows...kind of interesting that they all got Minnie and I got Pocahontas. We thought the same thing about Ketchikan when we were planning which is why we figured it would be the best choice for a non excursion port.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinacaplan View Post
I LOVE the funny napkin hats. Great pictures. And its nice to see the boys still enjoy the characters. I see what you mean about the attire, though...tropical? What?

Hope you're feeling better, too!
They really do. They will pretend to be all cool, especially Evan but let me tell you, once Evan saw Goofy in his Polar Explorer outfit, he HAD to get a picture with him. It was all his doing, not mine. And they both have those photos framed and in their room.

Better but I confess, it's slower going than I'd expected. I guess I didn't do my recovery homework very well. Which, knowing me, is probably for the best. Jeff says I sound a lot better during the night (funny as I didn't know I sounded bad before lol).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
Looks like a fun breakfast. I like the different napkin hats.

I hope you continue to heal and can blow your nose real soon.
Thanks, me too! Not blowing is really frustrating as are all the other lovely recovery pieces which I know you understand. YUCK is about all I have to say about it. Let's just say I severely underestimated/misunderstood what they meant about irrigation, yikes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisMomAmy View Post
Fun character breakfast!!
It was!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: