Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2012, 07:00 PM   #617
mickeysmyboy

DIS Veteran

Oh my! I love those views!! Amazing!!! I know I said it before but I can't even imagine what it must be like to see those views in person! One day!!!!!

It sounds like a nice night on the boat! Minus the hideous photo and the meh parts!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-02-2012, 07:28 PM   #618
KatMark
DIS Veteran

What stunning views, Cynthia, and what a great day. Love the plane photos. Glad you enjoyed the adult version of the magician.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:10 PM   #619
tinacaplan
DIS Veteran

Your pictures are amazing and really capture how unique Alaska is. And that picture of the port truly captures how beautiful the Disney ships are compared to the others.
AofA - 2012
SSR - 2012
OKW - 2012

tinacaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:05 AM   #620
Flossbolna
Sea days are just so relaxing!
Once you are as old as I am, you will understand!

The flight back was spectacular again! And I very much understand how getting back to the ship with so little time to spare would be a bit scary! That is one of the things which I am thinking about when cruising. While I can imagine going off on my own instead of an official excursion I would always be afraid of not making it back to the ship in time...

Thanks for the info on the moss in the trees! It does indeed look like a fantasy world. The Pacific Northwest is definitely on the list of places I want to visit and I will make sure to include that park!
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Flossbolna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:09 PM   #621
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Just like the ride there - WOW! Those ice fields are amazing. Double WOW! Oh and those placemats are too cute. I can't believe they come complete with the rest room location. That IS important, ya know!

You picked a great excursion!
I confess, those restrooms came in handy! The ice fields were mind boggling, I really couldn't get enough of them.

It was worth every penney

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
The show is so cute.

Great puppy pic!
I'm so happy that both boys wanted to, asked to, get their pics with their favorite characters and with just how stinkin cute the pictures turned out. Worth buying the shutters package just for those 2 pics if you ask me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisMomAmy View Post
Wow - what an amazing excursion! And Toy Story looks pretty impressive too!
Toy story was very impressive, we really enjoyed it. I am so glad we did the excursion we did, it was just incredible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
Those placemats are super cute. I am all about things like that! LOL!

The ice fields are just amazing -- I never get tired of looking at them!
I never got tired of them either. I'd forgotten I'd saved the placemats and when I went to check the navigator as to remind me what we did that evening, voila!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
What a cool view from your exercise bike! I might be more inclined to exercise if that was my view! LOL!

Sounds like a lovely rest of the evening -- too bad the dessert buffet was just meh.
Well it's probably just me on the dessert thing. I'm not a big buffet person or a dessert person period so I wasn't wowed. It wasn't bad mind you and everyone else seemed to enjoy it but it's just not my thing.

The view when we were in the gym on Tracy Arm day was cool but not nearly as fun as watching us sail out of port! All thoughts of using anything but the bike went out the window as I wouldn't have had the same view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manntra View Post
Hahaha Jackie...I agree about the view from the bike...it sure would make exercising more fun Or just fun at all
It certainly made the time go by fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manntra View Post
Love the ice fields....wow!! What a spectacular view!!! So cool I must say I was just on HD's cruise TR getting caught up everywhere and the experience is like night and day but I love them both! Love the TS show and the mutant toys

Tracy
Too funny, I was reading hers over the weekend and had the exact same thought! Though hers made me want to go to St. Maarten NOW!
Old 01-03-2012, 12:17 PM   #622
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
It must be really cool to see that ice from the air like that. Really neat pictures.

I'm glad that Eric got his Pluto picture.
I'm glad Eric got his Pluto picture too. I wish he'd had his Alaska bandana on but oh well. It was unbelievable seeing the ice from the air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeysmyboy View Post
Oh my! I love those views!! Amazing!!! I know I said it before but I can't even imagine what it must be like to see those views in person! One day!!!!!

It sounds like a nice night on the boat! Minus the hideous photo and the meh parts!
Well I'm sure it's just me on the meh dessert, I don't like buffets and can generally take or leave dessert so the whole thing just wasn't my scene. The E's thought it was the bomb! Chocolate fountains will do that. It was a really nice night. Actually an incredible day, start to finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
What stunning views, Cynthia, and what a great day. Love the plane photos. Glad you enjoyed the adult version of the magician.
It was a great day! It was the first time we really sat though any of the adult shows and did enjoy it quite a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinacaplan View Post
Your pictures are amazing and really capture how unique Alaska is. And that picture of the port truly captures how beautiful the Disney ships are compared to the others.
It is the prettiest isn't it! Jeff would crack me up, every time we were in port all 3 boys would go on and on about how much prettier the Wonder was.

It's funny, in many ways a lot of Alaska really did feel and look like home. Until you get next to glaciers and ice fields! And then, Oh My!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
The flight back was spectacular again! And I very much understand how getting back to the ship with so little time to spare would be a bit scary! That is one of the things which I am thinking about when cruising. While I can imagine going off on my own instead of an official excursion I would always be afraid of not making it back to the ship in time...

I'm not sure that the stress of missing the ship would be worth the savings. On some excursions I suppose the savings can be considerable and if you were very careful with the planning and allowed for lots of buffer, it could work. Personally I'll stick with booking through Disney if we do an excursion at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
Thanks for the info on the moss in the trees! It does indeed look like a fantasy world. The Pacific Northwest is definitely on the list of places I want to visit and I will make sure to include that park!
And a stop by Seattle on your way there!! It's not exactly around the corner, probably a good 2.5 hours including the ferry ride to get there (it's been a while) but once you are over there, there is lots to do. You have the rugged Pacific Coast and the Rain Forest right next to each other. And if you are Twilight fan...good old Forks is smack in the middle of it all!
Old 01-04-2012, 09:04 AM   #623
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

Me and DH are thinking of doing this cruise in May so its been great to read your report. Looking forward to reading more.
Chilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:51 AM   #624
natebenma
DIS Veteran

A beautiful ending to your excursion and your day. The photos from the plane are so very pretty! Love the co-pilot pictures. Did the boys flip a coin???

I agree with everyone about the placemats. Very cool! I was going to ask you if you saved them (one), so I'm glad you mentioned you did.

The costumes in the Toy Story show are awesome! Looks like a really fun show.

I think it is great that you were comfortable letting the boys do some exploring alone/with friends. The environment on the boat is certainly safe enough. Really, where can they go? So it was certainly a good opportunity to test their independence.
natebenma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:46 PM   #625
closetmickey
DIS Veteran

Great report! A question: were the port times as short as they are for the 2012 Alaska cruises? If so, how did this work out for you and your family?

4/14- 7nt Eastern on the FANTASY! 11/13- Weekend at DLR and stay at Disneyland Hotel
8/13- CR at WDW/ 4nt Cruise on DREAM! 6/12- Poly/POR Split Stay at WDW
8/11- DLR and stay at Grand Californian 1/11- 2 night Cruise to Nowhere on WONDER
10/10- DLR/ Mickey's Halloween Party and stay at Paradise Pier
2/10- WDW and a Week stay at the AKL 2/10- 4 Night Bahamas Cruise on DCL WONDER
6/09- DLR- Stay at Paradise Pier 4/09- DLR/ Club 33- Stay at Disneyland Hotel
10/08- Halloween Party at DCA 3/08- 3 Night Bahamas Cruise on DCL WONDER
2/08- WDW and stay at The Beach Club 10/07- Halloween Party at DCA and stay at GCH
Other trips to DLR- too many to count since 1969
closetmickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:20 PM   #626
jeremysdisneymom
DIS Veteran

I was about 5 updates behind but all caught up now! Wow, Alaska is just beautiful! Love the pictures of the eagles and the bear in the tree.

Your excursion to the glacier looked like so much fun! How cool to ride in that plane!

The Toy Story show looked really cute!

jeremysdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:39 PM   #627
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
Me and DH are thinking of doing this cruise in May so its been great to read your report. Looking forward to reading more.
Thanks and

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post
A beautiful ending to your excursion and your day. The photos from the plane are so very pretty! Love the co-pilot pictures. Did the boys flip a coin???
Honestly I'm not sure how that played out, all 3 boys were in front of me and by the time I got on, Evan was seated. Eric didn't seem upset (and heavens knows his meltdowns are legendary) so I didn't question it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post
I agree with everyone about the placemats. Very cool! I was going to ask you if you saved them (one), so I'm glad you mentioned you did.

The costumes in the Toy Story show are awesome! Looks like a really fun show.

I think it is great that you were comfortable letting the boys do some exploring alone/with friends. The environment on the boat is certainly safe enough. Really, where can they go? So it was certainly a good opportunity to test their independence.
It wasn't so much, at any point in the cruise, about where could they go but more of will they stop/return at the appointed time and can we get hold of them. Thankfully they never tested it where we had to try and find them, that was my biggest fear.

It was a really fun show

Quote:
Originally Posted by closetmickey View Post
Great report! A question: were the port times as short as they are for the 2012 Alaska cruises? If so, how did this work out for you and your family?
Thanks!

I'm not sure what they are for the 2012 one but I know when the announced Seattle as the departure there were a lot of complaints about shorter port times as a result of that change. Since we live here were were happy we left out of Vancouver on ours, I've done the trip by ship many times and would have felt like I was seeing things I'd already seen.

We had 12 hours in Skagway, 8.5 in Juneau and 7.5 in Ketchikan. Initially I was a little worried about the shorter times in Juneau and Ketchikan but it worked out fine. We could have used another hour or 2 in Juneau (but then I'd have probably skipped the workout with a view so it's likely for the best) but Ketchikan was fine. Then again, we didn't have an excursion in Ketchikan. If we had I might have felt it was a little short, not sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremysdisneymom View Post
I was about 5 updates behind but all caught up now! Wow, Alaska is just beautiful! Love the pictures of the eagles and the bear in the tree.

Your excursion to the glacier looked like so much fun! How cool to ride in that plane!

The Toy Story show looked really cute!
I'm about 5 updates behind everywhere myself.

It is incredibly pretty in the panhandle, I am SO glad we went on this cruise!
Old 01-04-2012, 11:48 PM   #628
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Awesome shots of the ice Cynthia !!! I would have stayed up for the dessert buffet too!!!!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
englishrose47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:34 AM   #629
Poolrat
I am alive, sometimes I wonder too!
I probably would be glued to the side

Amazing shots of the trip back.

Glad you got a workout and a view in as you left port. Looks like a cute Toy Story show and I am sure the magician's adult show was great.
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL Feb '15 -AKVK May '15 EEC- July'15 Big Birthday blowout ............ Can't wait to go back
Poolrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:28 AM   #630
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
Awesome shots of the ice Cynthia !!! I would have stayed up for the dessert buffet too!!!!
Thanks Rosie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
Amazing shots of the trip back.

Glad you got a workout and a view in as you left port. Looks like a cute Toy Story show and I am sure the magician's adult show was great.
The workout with a view is a serious benefit, and motivator! I thought of you yesterday as I went in for my sinus surgery. It was a septoplasty plus a bilateral sinus drainage procedure (roto rooter + re-route lol). This whole not being able to blow my nose thing is hard!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: