Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2011, 05:53 AM   #316
natebenma
DIS Veteran

You had an amazing morning! Your brunch at Palo sounds wonderful- great food and a beautful setting and view and nice company.

Nice keepsake photo of you two. No I mean you and Minnie! (The one of you with Jeff is good too)

Once again, beautiful scenery- seeing the floating cubes probably got you excited about the glaciers you would be seeing soon.

But I'm starting to be skeptical that you are going to share photos of whales with us. Prove me wrong!
natebenma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:31 AM   #317
MomsOf2boys
Has obsessive finger chatter disorder

What a beautiful start to a day! I so want to do an Alaskan cruise!
Grew up at Disneyland...Raised my kids at Disney World...Had a little Wonder in Oct 04, Had a Magical week with a great group of DISers in Oct 07! We enjoyed dreaming aboard the DREAM in '12! Why Not Have Halloween Weekend 2014 on the Dream?!!
MomsOf2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-29-2011, 09:01 AM   #319
jenjolt
Loves All Things Disney!

Loving the pictures!!! I have to agree with you Minnie's outfit is to die for!! I want one of those jackets!!!!!!

Glad you had a good brunch and the kids enjoyed BBB!! I so can't wait for my first Disney cruise!!!

Ahhhhh...icebergs! I remember those!!!! I use to love taking the all day cruises out of Seward and seeing how huge icebergs can really be!!!!

My Magical Trips to Disney:6/2012,1/2012,10/2011, 6/2011, 5/2011, 1/2011, 5/2010, 1/2010, 10/2009, 5/2009,
1/2009, 3/2007, 5/2005 , 10/1992: First Trip to Disney (Thanks Dad!)
jenjolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:56 AM   #320
nikkistevej
DIS Veteran

Love the trip report!! My family and extended family did an Alaska cruise on Norwegian in July of this year. I really wanted to go DCL- but they wouldn't go for it. NCL was fine, the scenery was stunning- loved Glacier Bay!!
Trips: 2005-1st trip to WDW(CBR),2007-WDW(POP)& DCL(Eastern)& bought DVC AKV,2008-WDW(AKV),2009-WDW(SSR)&DCL(Western),2010-WDW(BLT)&DCL(Bahamas), 2011-NCL-Alaska,2012-DCL & AKV for Thanksgiving,2013-1st trip to DLR!!, DCL & WDW(AKV)2014 Spring Break
nikkistevej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:44 AM   #321
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
Wonderful update! Minnie is indeed very cute in her Alaskan outfit!
It was very authentic...more on that later in the trip too lol! She was just adorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
And by the end of your update you had me all excited about Tracey's Arm and then the update ended!!

Very beautiful scenery up there... I am starting to think that DCL and Alaska sound like a wonderful combination...
Sorry about that! Between Jeff and I we have almost 300 pictures for our Tracy Arm day and that's after deletions! It was too much for one update and I'm off to a girls weekend tomorrow and knew I wouldn't have time to get the monster update up so at least wanted to do the morning. DCL and Alaska is a wonderful combo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post
You had an amazing morning! Your brunch at Palo sounds wonderful- great food and a beautful setting and view and nice company.
I can't say enough great things about the brunch

Quote:
Nice keepsake photo of you two. No I mean you and Minnie! (The one of you with Jeff is good too)
I really like the one of the two of us but Minnie is pretty fab

Quote:
Once again, beautiful scenery- seeing the floating cubes probably got you excited about the glaciers you would be seeing soon.

But I'm starting to be skeptical that you are going to share photos of whales with us. Prove me wrong!
Well that would imply that I caught the suckers on film....you'll just have to wait and see! the floating cubes were exciting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomsOf2boys View Post
What a beautiful start to a day! I so want to do an Alaskan cruise!
It was a lovely lovely morning and early afternoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
Beautiful pictures Cynthia. The scenery is just awesome.
thanks!
Old 09-29-2011, 12:25 PM   #322
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjolt View Post
Loving the pictures!!! I have to agree with you Minnie's outfit is to die for!! I want one of those jackets!!!!!!
I wish you could see her boots, they were wonderful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjolt View Post
Glad you had a good brunch and the kids enjoyed BBB!! I so can't wait for my first Disney cruise!!!

Ahhhhh...icebergs! I remember those!!!! I use to love taking the all day cruises out of Seward and seeing how huge icebergs can really be!!!!
My cousins had a place in Seward, very sad I never made it up there while they had it. You will love your cruise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkistevej View Post
Love the trip report!! My family and extended family did an Alaska cruise on Norwegian in July of this year. I really wanted to go DCL- but they wouldn't go for it. NCL was fine, the scenery was stunning- loved Glacier Bay!!
I am really glad we did DCL but others can be significantly more reasonable and I can see why people would choose other lines, both for cost and other reasons. It was perfect for us though. I have heard Glacier Bay is amazing, DCL doesn't go there and that is one of the complaints people have. I have nothing to compare it to and was thrilled with what we did see.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:31 PM   #323
MEK
DIS Veteran

Shockingly I did read your update BEFORE I left for work this morning. It was wonderful. Breakfast / brunch sounds amazing. The scenery there looks spectacular. And those mini-icebergs have titanic written all over them.

sorry - it just be really weird to see that in August!!!!!! As much as I would like the cruise to the Bahamas, I have to say that something about going north is very intriquing!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:34 PM   #324
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

We are some of those people looking at other lines for the Alaska cruise because of cost, but it's so hard to pass up Disney, Palo brunch...We shall see.
I love your pictures - it's really beautiful. What did I hear about why the icebergs are blue? I think it was from Pete on DIS unplugged podcast.
Mndisneygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 01:02 PM   #325
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Shockingly I did read your update BEFORE I left for work this morning. It was wonderful.
That IS shocking! It means you actually got to see the pictures

Quote:
Breakfast / brunch sounds amazing. The scenery there looks spectacular. And those mini-icebergs have titanic written all over them.
Just wait! I hear you on the titanic analogy...would have been freaky at night I think in some parts you'll see a bit later and we were at the tail end of the season so lots less in the water than there is for the May/june cruises.

Quote:
sorry - it just be really weird to see that in August!!!!!! As much as I would like the cruise to the Bahamas, I have to say that something about going north is very intriquing!
You would LOVE it. And come back with 1400+ pictures as I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mndisneygirl View Post
We are some of those people looking at other lines for the Alaska cruise because of cost, but it's so hard to pass up Disney, Palo brunch...We shall see.
it is hard. I would look at the rates the minute the 2013 dates come out as they just go up after day 1. I booked ours last Dec and in the 2 weeks it took to decide which week they climbed up 2-300. I just looked and our same cruise is already $600 higher than what we paid, for the same reservation as of today. I can only imagine what it will be by Dec!

It was pricey, there is no doubt of that. And the excursions are pricey which will happen no matter who you go with. Outside of those 2 things though we really didn't spend much. Though that was enough.

It was worth it though. I'd compare it to staying at a deluxe, plus flights, DDP and Park Hoppers. If you look at it that way...not so different.

Quote:
I love your pictures - it's really beautiful. What did I hear about why the icebergs are blue? I think it was from Pete on DIS unplugged podcast.
It has to do with density

Glaciers are created when decades upon decades of snow compact themselves into ice. As the ice crystals grow, they push out the air.

Because the red (long wavelengths) part of white light is absorbed by ice and the blue (short wavelengths) light is transmitted and scattered. The longer the path light travels in ice, the more blue it appears. Basically the ice absorbs most light and reflects the short-wave-length blue light.

But as ice moves along and is exposed to warmer air or warmer water, the crystal structure breaks down and reflects all the light. That change, makes the ice appear white.

And that's why the deepest blue coloration is often seen in fractured places: crevasses, towers and where chunks of ice have calved. The color may appear richest on cloudy days. So in the case of the cubes, they are newly calved and the blue part is the newly exposed areas.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:25 PM   #326
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
it is hard. I would look at the rates the minute the 2013 dates come out as they just go up after day 1. I booked ours last Dec and in the 2 weeks it took to decide which week they climbed up 2-300. I just looked and our same cruise is already $600 higher than what we paid, for the same reservation as of today. I can only imagine what it will be by Dec!

It was pricey, there is no doubt of that. And the excursions are pricey which will happen no matter who you go with. Outside of those 2 things though we really didn't spend much. Though that was enough.

It was worth it though. I'd compare it to staying at a deluxe, plus flights, DDP and Park Hoppers. If you look at it that way...not so different.

That's a good way to look at it. I know no matter which way we do it, it will be pricey, but sometimes it's worth it.

It has to do with density

Glaciers are created when decades upon decades of snow compact themselves into ice. As the ice crystals grow, they push out the air.

Because the red (long wavelengths) part of white light is absorbed by ice and the blue (short wavelengths) light is transmitted and scattered. The longer the path light travels in ice, the more blue it appears. Basically the ice absorbs most light and reflects the short-wave-length blue light.

But as ice moves along and is exposed to warmer air or warmer water, the crystal structure breaks down and reflects all the light. That change, makes the ice appear white.

And that's why the deepest blue coloration is often seen in fractured places: crevasses, towers and where chunks of ice have calved. The color may appear richest on cloudy days. So in the case of the cubes, they are newly calved and the blue part is the newly exposed areas.
Yeah, that's what I thought!
Thanks for the information! I haven't had a science lesson in some time. Jenjolt probably knew all this already!
Mndisneygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:56 PM   #327
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Yeah, that's what I thought!
Thanks for the information! I haven't had a science lesson in some time. Jenjolt probably knew all this already!
I'm sure she does and could explain it better! I've thought of Jen often over the last couple of weeks, Evan has the coolest science teacher and I imagine Jen is much the same. I was thrilled that he remembered about the blue ice on his own and chose that as his summer science "artifact" to bring in. He is SO engaged, any concerns I had about honors science are gone (at the moment anyway). Of course, he's all boy. Only a boy would invent an organism that eats its own appendages as their main food source, and then the appendages regenerate to provide a constant food source. Think he's missing some science in all of that but it's fun to watch him get creative.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:17 PM   #328
tinacaplan
DIS Veteran

AMAZING pictures. Sounds like Palo was fantastic, too. And how great that the boys are able to go off on their own for awhile?
AofA - 2012
SSR - 2012
OKW - 2012

tinacaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:47 PM   #329
mickeysmyboy

DIS Veteran

Oh my goodness, what a great morning!

I have to admit though, it's weird to me to see ice in and snow and hear about people swimming!!

I love your explanation on why the ice is blue! We saw ice on the side of some of the mountains by my parents this past winter that was very blue and we didn't know why! I meant to look it up but I never remember to do it!
Old 09-30-2011, 04:46 AM   #330
Flossbolna
Sea days are just so relaxing!
Once you are as old as I am, you will understand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
Sorry about that! Between Jeff and I we have almost 300 pictures for our Tracy Arm day and that's after deletions! It was too much for one update and I'm off to a girls weekend tomorrow and knew I wouldn't have time to get the monster update up so at least wanted to do the morning. DCL and Alaska is a wonderful combo!
Don't worry! I can wait - gives me something to look forward to. I did look at cruise prices yesterday - and unfortunately for a solo traveller Alaska is just way too expensive. However, the Pacific Coast cruises seem to be rather affordable... They just go from LA to SF and back (with one stop in Mexico). But the thing I am really hoping for is that the Magic will return to the Med in 2013 - the transatlantic cruises seem like the very best deal one can get!
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Flossbolna is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: