Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-17-2011, 10:54 PM   #271
Sunset Cliffs
DIS Veteran
 
Sunset Cliffs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Nor-Cal
Posts: 1,011

I just found this report. I don't know what I was thinking...I kept waiting for it to pop up on the WDW TR board. I've never been to the cruise one. Sorry I'm late!

Your pictures are amazing! The boat is beautiful and so is the scenery. We went on an Alaskan cruise about 10 years ago. I wasn't too sure about the cold weather cruising, but it was one of our favorite cruises we have gone on because it was so relaxing to just sit and enjoy the nature around us.

I'm so glad you liked your dinner table mates! We never had any weird ones, but we had some that didn't speak the same language as us and some that completely ignored us and acted like we didn't exist. At first, it was awkward, but after a couple of days we were over it. I would much rather have had great dinner conversation though!

Can't wait to read more!
Sunset Cliffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:59 AM   #272
eandesmom
I'm with Beast
 
eandesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 13,486

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
Beautiful pix Cynthia !!!!
Thanks Rosie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
Caught up on your last two updates! The scenery is just breathtakingly gorgeous!!! So pretty! What a nice time you had at the spa, and it looks like the boys had a blast as well! Glad dinner was a success and you made friends with your tablemates!
It is pretty. The only thing we could think with all the missing people is that either folks were like us, and from the NW so had already "seen" it, which to an extent is true although it's all different if you ask me. Or they were on verandahs. Dinner started a little rough but by the time the first course arrived, was off to a wonderful start that just continued all week. We couldn't have been luckier and happier with how it worked out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happydog View Post
SO pretty! What gorgeous scenery... I am impressed and I have a feeling that after seeing your trip I am going to want to go to Alaska too! Such amazing feats by Mother Nature!! I love what I have read so far and am looking forward to more.
I see it in your rebooking future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happydog View Post
I don't remember if I mentioned this in the last post, but I am glad to hear you were paired up with some nice people! We had a table for 4 on our cruise, I requested that after our 3 night cruise. We had a nice older couple as our table mates, DH and I. I am not good for small talk generally, and I hate to say it, but sitting with people we don't know is a make or break the vacation situation for my DH and I... I love meeting new people, but I would have been a wreck on the other cruises if we were sitting with people we didn't click with. I don't mean to sound snobbish, it would be me who was anxious the whole time, so it is just better to play it safe. I would love to cruise with friends for this reason!
I didn't even know you could do that! Honestly had Jeff known you could do that, he would have wanted to try, he was not thrilled iwth the idea of random people at our table. It can definitely make or break it (or drive you do the buffet for dinner). Small talk isn't my favorite thing either, whose is it really but we lucked out with some easy things that were in common which broke the ice early and then the kids hit it off so well I think it made the adults try harder than we otherwise might have. Still, I've thought about it for the next one and if we are able to take K, which is the goal, it could really make or break it as she is far more introverted than the boys and at that age....it might be best to see if we could get a table of 5. Not sure if that's possible though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happydog View Post
Scenery is so beautiful, and coffee in the morning as you see this floating by sound fabulous! OH, and regarding the coffee, I have been saved more than once by VIA. I find it easy to use, I never thought to bring it on the cruise... that is a good idea.
It's easy to use if you get it open and poured in right, watch out for wind though. Jeff always seemed to make a giant mess. It really was perfect for the cruise, we like a couple of cups in the morning and that would have added up, plus been high maintenance to go to Cove Cafe every morning 2x. The regular coffee, as expected, was

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Spectacular photos, Cynthia. What absolutely beautiful scenery.

The picture of you and Jeff is great.
Thanks Kathy! It was pretty!!!!
eandesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-18-2011, 11:27 AM   #273
eandesmom
I'm with Beast
 
eandesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 13,486

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
That does seem really narrow, where the boat's heading. Such beautiful scenery!
It did look narrow but nothing compared to what we'd see later!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
You're so spoiled with your west coast salmon. Wish I had some right now.
We are spoiled, no doubt about that. My kids get sick of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset Cliffs View Post
I just found this report. I don't know what I was thinking...I kept waiting for it to pop up on the WDW TR board. I've never been to the cruise one. Sorry I'm late!
s'okay, I bet you aren't the only one. I don't really look at the cruise board as much either so it'd be easy to miss! I'm just glad you are here Alison!



Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset Cliffs View Post
Your pictures are amazing! The boat is beautiful and so is the scenery. We went on an Alaskan cruise about 10 years ago. I wasn't too sure about the cold weather cruising, but it was one of our favorite cruises we have gone on because it was so relaxing to just sit and enjoy the nature around us.
Thanks! LOTS more coming It was gorgeous and overall we had really good weather. Cool, but not really cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset Cliffs View Post
I'm so glad you liked your dinner table mates! We never had any weird ones, but we had some that didn't speak the same language as us and some that completely ignored us and acted like we didn't exist. At first, it was awkward, but after a couple of days we were over it. I would much rather have had great dinner conversation though!

Can't wait to read more!
Ugh, that's exactly what you fear. I did one, 14 years ago and it was all other couples (all quite a bit older) and half were cool, half were..whatever. It worked out ok thanks to the cool ones but it was like a table divided so a bit awkward at times and one couple definitely had a language barrier. This time, dinner was just a blast, every night. So lucky! It's funny, we figured the kids would make friends in the kids club, turned out the best ones they made were at our table.

Part of the reason we chose Disney was we figured our chances were much better for parents and kids our age. The mom's were a little bit older but not much, 3-5 years which doesn't even count at our age!
eandesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 07:15 PM   #274
natebenma
DIS Veteran
 
natebenma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: near Boston
Posts: 11,842

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
Somehow I didn't realize you'd done a DCL cruise before.
Because I haven't!

We have been on 3 cruises- all Royal Caribbean. One was a 3 night to the Bahamas over 20 years ago. Then we went on a family reunion cruise to the Western Caribbean in 2006- Auntie Jeanne paid for 42 members of our family on this trip. We LOVE Auntie Jeanne! The following year, the 4 of us took another cruise.

Mark would like to try a Disney cruise, but right now we are limited to vacationing during the boys' school vacations and of course everything is $$$ on those weeks!

************************************************** *

Sounds like you enjoyed your laid back morning. Well, except for the early wake up! Must have been a nice change from the previous day's chaos and marathon explorations of the ship.
natebenma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:59 AM   #275
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran
 
Mndisneygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 7,364

I'm loving your updates!

Small World Comment:
I just got back from a scrapbooking weekend and the woman sitting next to me was working on a DCL Alaska cruise. So I'm asking her all about it, looking at her stuff...SHE WAS ON THE SAME CRUISE AS YOU! I just went back and looked at your dates to confirm.
I'll have to look more closely at your pictures (if you have any with more people in them!) and see if I find her.
Mndisneygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:05 PM   #276
eandesmom
I'm with Beast
 
eandesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 13,486

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post
Because I haven't!

We have been on 3 cruises- all Royal Caribbean. One was a 3 night to the Bahamas over 20 years ago. Then we went on a family reunion cruise to the Western Caribbean in 2006- Auntie Jeanne paid for 42 members of our family on this trip. We LOVE Auntie Jeanne! The following year, the 4 of us took another cruise.
Can she be my aunt too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post
Mark would like to try a Disney cruise, but right now we are limited to vacationing during the boys' school vacations and of course everything is $$$ on those weeks!
Ugh, tell me about it. The real bummer for us is that the E's school breaks are a different schedule than most and the rates are not as horrible for both their spring break and end of summer (though that's more in hurricane seaon than I want on a boat) but K's are smack at high season. I'm amazed at the difference booking early makes and how much the rates go up. I think we've landed on a plan but depending on what the 2013 rates look like, it could change.


Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post
Sounds like you enjoyed your laid back morning. Well, except for the early wake up! Must have been a nice change from the previous day's chaos and marathon explorations of the ship.
LOL! The only real chaos on the first day was the lunch fiasco. The cats took way longer than I'd hoped but it wasn't exactly chaotic. Lunch had me twitchy though. The risk with the late arrival is that if the port makes the boat leave early. THAT would suck and apparently happened to some during Irene.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mndisneygirl View Post
I'm loving your updates!

Small World Comment:
I just got back from a scrapbooking weekend and the woman sitting next to me was working on a DCL Alaska cruise. So I'm asking her all about it, looking at her stuff...SHE WAS ON THE SAME CRUISE AS YOU! I just went back and looked at your dates to confirm.
I'll have to look more closely at your pictures (if you have any with more people in them!) and see if I find her.
It is a small world! I'm sure I have more with random people in them.

I hope she had a great time!
eandesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 04:03 PM   #277
MEK
DIS Veteran
 
MEK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Middletown, DE
Posts: 18,693

Gorgeous! Just gorgeous! What a wonderful adventure!

I still don't think that boat is going to fit in there!
__________________

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:22 PM   #278
treece2122
Earning My Ears
 
treece2122's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 15

Oh so beautiful! I live in the Pacific NW and I'm still in awe! This makes me want to go on an Alaskan cruise even worse than before....

Must win lottery and somehow convince reluctant DH that this cruise is the ONE for us!

You're updates are great, I'll be waiting patiently for the next one ...
__________________
~ Christine () DH () DS16 () DS1 ()

All of this has happened before, and it will all happen again.
-Peter Pan

treece2122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:08 PM   #279
eandesmom
I'm with Beast
 
eandesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 13,486

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Gorgeous! Just gorgeous! What a wonderful adventure!

I still don't think that boat is going to fit in there!
Thanks! It gets prettier

That was nothing compared to what we saw the next day!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by treece2122 View Post
Oh so beautiful! I live in the Pacific NW and I'm still in awe! This makes me want to go on an Alaskan cruise even worse than before....

Must win lottery and somehow convince reluctant DH that this cruise is the ONE for us!

You're updates are great, I'll be waiting patiently for the next one ...

We felt the same and we live here too. Yes, the lottery is needed. It was definitely ouch in the cost category, especially the excursions. Worth it though!
eandesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:58 PM   #280
jenjolt
Loves All Things Disney!
 
jenjolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Home in Florida and Texas
Posts: 8,157

Isn't that area just gorgeous!! You are making me homesick Cynthia!! LOVE IT!!!

I'm so enjoying this report!! I haven't been able to post a lot but I've been lurking hardcore and I just love your pictures!!
__________________


My Magical Trips to Disney:6/2012,1/2012,10/2011, 6/2011, 5/2011, 1/2011, 5/2010, 1/2010, 10/2009, 5/2009,
1/2009, 3/2007, 5/2005 , 10/1992: First Trip to Disney (Thanks Dad!)
jenjolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:40 PM   #281
eandesmom
I'm with Beast
 
eandesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 13,486

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjolt View Post
Isn't that area just gorgeous!! You are making me homesick Cynthia!! LOVE IT!!!

I'm so enjoying this report!! I haven't been able to post a lot but I've been lurking hardcore and I just love your pictures!!
Hi Jen! Hardcore lurking, I love it! Just wait, the pictures will get event better!
eandesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:53 PM   #282
All7OfUs
We too are so very NOT into traipsing through the dark when a bucket will do just great
What a fun way to meet new folks and say howdy
 
All7OfUs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Salem, OR; formerly from Crapistan- Really!!
Posts: 13,089

HI Cynthia! Finally made it over, and will catch up soon. Just here to mark my place and say HI!
__________________

All7OfUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:47 PM   #285
englishrose47
DIS Veteran
 
englishrose47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Niagara Falls N.Y.
Posts: 27,912

The Alsaka Cruise is a dream of mine !!! So I am living my dream through your TR!!!!
__________________
April/May 07 Pop Feb 08 Pop May09 POP Sept 09 POP Feb 10 Pop Oct 10 Pop Aug 11 Pop Oct 11Pop Oct 12 Pop Oct 13 &Dec 13
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....8#post49995478 Where's my Suitcase ???
A PTR: [
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
englishrose47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: