Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2011, 09:22 PM   #226
tinacaplan
DIS Veteran

Vancouver looks absolutely gorgeous. And I think the horn would have had me choked up, too!
AofA - 2012
SSR - 2012
OKW - 2012

tinacaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:32 PM   #227
MEK
DIS Veteran

Beautiful pictures of the sail away. The fact that you were going to Alaska did not change the festive nature of the party at all. Very cool.

There's something about me that always things a cruise should be going some place warm, even though I know better. So in my mind a cruise to Alaska would be more sedate. Obviously not - people looked like they were having a great time.

So you actually didn't know something. Well that's probably good in this case because a surprise like that sounds so wonderful.

I'm glad you didn't waste any time getting to the spa.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-09-2011, 03:51 AM   #228
Flossbolna
Sea days are just so relaxing!
Once you are as old as I am, you will understand!

Great pictures of Vancouver, it is a great city! And I had to laugh about your comment on a ride at Stanley Park - when I saw your first picture of it, I thought I really need to comment on what a great day I had there when I rented a bike to ride around the peninsular. But then you said it yourself!!

How wonderful that the Wonder's horn was such a surprise for you!! I think sometimes that while I am a planner and I love reading about neat little things like that (and I have known about that horn for ages already... despite never having been on the ship), we sometimes also take away our chances of being pleasantly surprised because we already expect it when we know too much beforehand.
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Flossbolna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:13 PM   #229
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

E OAR!

I love that ship horn too! It's on my phone for when DH calls. The Dream horn(s) are really nice too. They played a lot of them when we were setting sail. You should look for a youtube video of either the Wonder or Magic having a horn battle with a Royal caribbean ship - it's hysterical!

I am looking forward to hearing about your spa treatment! I could use one right about now!
Mndisneygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:34 PM   #230
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 View Post
Glad Eric had a great birthday!
He did, thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 View Post
Your sail away looks great - on time and lots of fun! I'm surprised you didn't know about the horn How cool that you were surprised. It is amazing the first time you hear it!
I think it's one of those things where everyone assumes everyone else knows. It was goosebump worthy let me tell you. Sail away was cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post
AWESOME start!!! How cool that you could just drive to the port instead of having to fly to get to the ship. Loved your border crossing/parking problems/beer run & lunch details. Sounds like typical fun with your family.
Kind of predictable all of that with us huh, Driving was very cool, loved that (and my mom for enabling the quick drop off, that rocked!).

Quote:
It is great how well the boarding went- I agree that the photo was purchase-worthy.
I admit, I do not like how they do pictures on the cruise but did know about it going into it and I know it's consistent with how other lines do it. I was surprised with how many I did buy and so will budget accordingly (if there is a) next time.

Boarding couldn't have gone better

Quote:
Amazing pictures from the sailaway. What a beautiful city!!! I love the way you captureed the bridge upon approach and from below.

And first, but not least- E.Oar!!! Too funny!
It was SO cool to go under it like that! E.Oar. is still a joke around the house, fun memory to be sure. And he calls ME the Disney freak.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:42 PM   #231
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinacaplan View Post
Vancouver looks absolutely gorgeous. And I think the horn would have had me choked up, too!
It is a stunning city. I take it for granted having been there so often and then I look at the pics of it as we sail away and go gosh, that's so pretty! The horn was, magical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Beautiful pictures of the sail away. The fact that you were going to Alaska did not change the festive nature of the party at all. Very cool.
It really didn't! Of course it didn't hurt that we had decent weather.

Quote:
There's something about me that always things a cruise should be going some place warm, even though I know better. So in my mind a cruise to Alaska would be more sedate. Obviously not - people looked like they were having a great time.
that's funny. It's like saying a ski lodge is sedate because it's cold. It was different, I'm sure, than a warm one but there was plenty of partying going around, all week to be sure.

Quote:
So you actually didn't know something. Well that's probably good in this case because a surprise like that sounds so wonderful.

I'm glad you didn't waste any time getting to the spa.
It was a wonderful surprise! I had goosebumps. Not to spoil anything but I'm telling you, a mani/pedi on day one of a trip may become a requirement for me from now on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
Great pictures of Vancouver, it is a great city! And I had to laugh about your comment on a ride at Stanley Park - when I saw your first picture of it, I thought I really need to comment on what a great day I had there when I rented a bike to ride around the peninsular. But then you said it yourself!!
I Stanley Park and haven't spent much time there in years as we always seem to be just driving through vancouver and the one weekend we did go up, just Jeff and I, it POURED all weekend. The E's were cracking me up as we drove over Lions Gate on the way to Whistler, they made up stories about the Stanley Park woods, about how it was some mythical forest (in some game I'm sure) but it was cute. When we sailed past it, they talked about their forest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
How wonderful that the Wonder's horn was such a surprise for you!! I think sometimes that while I am a planner and I love reading about neat little things like that (and I have known about that horn for ages already... despite never having been on the ship), we sometimes also take away our chances of being pleasantly surprised because we already expect it when we know too much beforehand.
I think it's one of those things people assume everyone knows. it was a lovely lovely surprise. And while there was a lot I did know, there was a LOT I didn't, and much we discovered along the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mndisneygirl View Post
E OAR!
He kills me, he really does.

Quote:
I love that ship horn too! It's on my phone for when DH calls. The Dream horn(s) are really nice too. They played a lot of them when we were setting sail. You should look for a youtube video of either the Wonder or Magic having a horn battle with a Royal caribbean ship - it's hysterical!
It was funny, all week as we saw other boats leave and sound their horn all I'd hear from all 3 of them was how much cooler ours was. And how much cooler our boat looked.

Quote:
I am looking forward to hearing about your spa treatment! I could use one right about now!
Me too! I have one in 3 weeks, I can't wait.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:01 PM   #232
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Thank goodness I didn't miss anything (being sick I've gotten so far behind).

Well, of course, Eric was bouncing like Tigger....what would you expect with his dad and mom saying EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE OAR!

Ok, I'll control myself now.

Your pictures of the empty boat and your sailing away are terrific, Cynthia.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:58 PM   #233
DMMarla07860
DIS Veteran

great trip report so far
July 14th-18th, 2002- 3 Night Resort and 4 Night Disney Wonder Cruise, April 23rd-30th, 2005- 7 Night Disney Magic Western Cruise, August 19th-26th, 2006- 7 Night Disney Magic Western Double Dip Cruise, September 6th-9th, 2007- 3 Night Disney Wonder Cruise, July 13th- 20th, 2008- Mexican Riviera Disney Magic Cruise, February 21st-28th, 2009- 7 Night Disney Magic Western Cruise, February 28th-March 7th, 2009- 7 Night Disney Magic Eastern Cruise, August 27th-30th, 2009- 3 Night Disney Wonder Cruise, December 10th-13th, 2009- 3 Night Disney Wonder Cruise, March 6th-13th, 2010- 7 Night Disney Magic Western Cruise, February 17th-20th, 2011- 3 Night Disney Dream Cruise, February 20th-24th, 2011- 4 Night Disney Dream Cruise, April 27th-May 3rd, 2011- 6 Night LA to Vancouver Disney Wonder Cruise
February 16th-19th, 2012- 3 Night Disney Dream Cruise, April 21st-28th, 2012- 7 Night Disney Fantasy Eastern Cruise(first one),
June 15th-17th, 2012- 2 Night Disney Magic Cruise(NYC), August 17th- 25th, 2012- 8 Night Disney Magic Cruise(NYC)March 16th-23rd, 2013-7 Night Disney Fantasy Western March 23rd-30th, 2013-Disney Fantasy EasternUpcoming Cruises: November 20th-24th, 2013- Disney Magic
DMMarla07860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:11 PM   #234
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Thank goodness I didn't miss anything (being sick I've gotten so far behind).
I hope you are finally feeling better Kathy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Well, of course, Eric was bouncing like Tigger....what would you expect with his dad and mom saying EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE OAR!

Ok, I'll control myself now.

Your pictures of the empty boat and your sailing away are terrific, Cynthia.
It does kind of go hand and hand, doesn't it.

Thanks on the pics, I'm not thrilled with the glare but oh well. Live and learn. There are some rather good ones coming up, if I do say so myself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMMarla07860 View Post
great trip report so far

Thanks and !
Old 09-10-2011, 07:51 AM   #235
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

Yeay, I am all caught up on the beginning of your Alaskan adventure. Love the boarding pics! Glad it all worked out even though you were running late. You know me -- I was twitchy just reading about it.

Sailing under the bridge looked very cool, and I love that Eric was all into the sail away party!
Charleston Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 11:30 AM   #236
KristiMc
DIS Veteran

Just found your TR and I am caught up. We hope to do the Alaska cruise at some point.

Looking forward to seeing how your boys liked the Edge. My oldest will be 11 when we sail on the Magic out of NYC in June.
Old 09-11-2011, 01:34 PM   #237
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Great Sail away shots !!!We are contemplating a cruise in 2013 , unfortunately can't afford a Disney one for all 5 of us !!! But whatever we decide on I know Kyle will be in 7th Heaven with all the FOOD!!!!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
englishrose47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 05:47 PM   #238
JOANNEL
DVC MEMBER 6/02
I haven't laughed that hard in ages

Great TR, we were on the same cruise, and yes best vacation ever!

I am telling everyone they have to see alaska once in a lifetime. Should be on everyone's bucket list!! I can't wait to read your report!!! The scenery was spectacular!
JOANNEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:07 PM   #239
Happydog
DIS Veteran

How did you not hear about the ship's horn??!! Gee, we failed you! But it was fun to hear and be surprised I have no doubt!!! Yes, the Dream has several, but no matter, any and every Disney cruise horn is just plain fun.

Looks like a fun sail away party! I don't think I could have ordered one of the DOD options right away, either... it has to be HOT for me to drink a frozen cocktail, especially for that price I definitely get them in Orlando, but I don't know if a beachy drink would have floated my boat on the way to Alaska. Not sure. Now, those martinis in the quiet cove bar, now THAT is another story...

Neat vantage point to see that bridge, etc. I think that sail away experience is really neat!!

AND I love the Eeee Oar. Story. How cute. Fries on demand. Scary, isn't it??!! LOL!!

Twas the Night BEFORE Christmas 09?!PTR! Ho Ho Ho!Away we go!A WDW Christmas 09 TR! All aboard a WONDERful TR! Boo to YOU! Sept 09 TR
WDW 4th of July 09 PTR!I Want to Ride the Cotton Ball! July 4th 09 TR!Snow, Savannah, & NO School! Feb '10 TR Christmas fix MVMCP 2010 TR
One Family, One Year - a June '10 PTR The Ingredients for Pixie Dust - June '10 TR Disney-Landing Halloween - a Halloween '10 PTR/TR
Dream for two - Feb '11 TRSummer of Sea and Shore - June '11 PTR Strapping Turtles on our Feet! - June/July '11 TR
MY MAGICal Black Friday Thanksgiving Cruise - Nov '11 PTR/TR

Oct 2000 - Disney Magic 7 night cruise * Oct '03 - Contemporary * Oct '05 - WLV * Nov '08 - SSR * June/July '09 - OKW * Sept '09 - CBR * Dec '09 - BCV * Feb '10 - AKL * Feb '10 - Disney Wonder 3 night Cruise/Disney HH * June '10 - BLT/BCV * Oct '10 - Grand Californian * Dec '10 AKV - Kidani * February '11 - Disney Dream 4 night cruise/BLT * June '11 - Disney Dream 5 night cruise/Disney's Vero Beach/Ft. Wilderness/AKL Jambo * Oct '11 - WLV/SSR * Nov '11 Disney Magic 7 night cruise * February '12 - Disney Dream 4 night cruise/AKL Jambo * June/July '12 - BCV/WLV * Nov '12 Disney Fantasy 7 night cruise * July '13 AKV - Jambo * Sept '13 - AOA * Oct '13 - F & W SSR * Jan '14 AKV - Kidani * June '14 - BLT * August '14 Aulani * Halloween '14 Disney Wonder 5 night cruise * January '15 Disney Fantasy 7 night cruise * April '15 Disneyland resort *
Happydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:33 AM   #240
PracPerfPatricia
DIS Veteran

Hey C,

I have been off the boards for such a long while... and just recently started back on...

OMG...you went on a Disney Alaskan Cruise...

Is that a picture of you with Minnie in a parka in your siggie?

I was laughing when I read your title...my DH would probably say pretty much the same thing...getting him on a cruise would be a challenge but Alaska...that he would probably go for...

Must add to Disney Dream Bucket List...

Can't wait for more...
PracPerfPatricia is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: