Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2011, 12:47 PM   #1
mickeyfanforlife
Earning My Ears

Hello Newbie here...how fluffy friendly is Disneyland?

I am totally stressing out about my weight/size and being able to ride the rides with my girls...what rides are fluffy friendly? It seems the harder I try to loose weight the more I fail...help!

mickeyfanforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:05 PM   #2
Susie63
Dreamin' of Disney

VERY fluffy friendly. I am a 26/28 and I fit on everything I rode on. Others will chime in and give better details as to what is a tight fit. You will have better luck if you can give us your size though
Susie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-29-2011, 01:05 PM   #3
sonnyjane
DIS Veteran

Here on the boards, they call it being "Pooh sized" If you like, you can search that term and you'll find lots of threads. The short of it is, Disneyland does a really good job of making sure the rides accommodate almost everyone. Try to search those threads, as I'm not sure what rides might be a little uncomfortable, but for the most part you should be okay
sonnyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 02:02 PM   #4
Disneylovers2000
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyfanforlife View Post
I am totally stressing out about my weight/size and being able to ride the rides with my girls...what rides are fluffy friendly? It seems the harder I try to loose weight the more I fail...help!
Welcome to the Disboards!!
I hear ya on the weight struggle! Its sooo hard, but keep trying, it will come!
Now to answer your question, I think the only troubles you may have are on the rides in Fantasyland. Keep in mind, when they were built in the 50's, people in that day in age were not pooh sized nor were they as tall as people nowadays! My husband is 6'3" and had a hard time squeezing into rides like Pinnochio and Snow White (for example). That said, they are totally still doable and for as short as they are, you may be a little uncomfortable but you soon forget that when you go through the gates of the ride! Have a magical time! It truly is the happiest place on earth!
Disneylovers2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 02:27 PM   #5
Minnie Loves Mickey
We Love Disney!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneylovers2000 View Post
Welcome to the Disboards!!
I hear ya on the weight struggle! Its sooo hard, but keep trying, it will come!
Now to answer your question, I think the only troubles you may have are on the rides in Fantasyland. Keep in mind, when they were built in the 50's, people in that day in age were not pooh sized nor were they as tall as people nowadays! My husband is 6'3" and had a hard time squeezing into rides like Pinnochio and Snow White (for example). That said, they are totally still doable and for as short as they are, you may be a little uncomfortable but you soon forget that when you go through the gates of the ride! Have a magical time! It truly is the happiest place on earth!
My DH is also 6'3" and has a hard time on the rides in FL, we usually only ride them once a trip...I can't wait to have Grand Children so I can have a really good reason and someone to ride these with!!!
Old 07-29-2011, 02:42 PM   #6
tzeitel
Toadi Acceleratio Semper Absurda

Some rides have a sample car outisde the ride - mostly for pictures but you can see if it will work for you before you get in line I know they have them for Mr Toad and Dumbo
Old 07-29-2011, 03:54 PM   #7
EmmersIsTheMommy
Ew maybe the dolls dance all night. *shudder*
... and she shall be called Epic Emily (per Crush)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzeitel View Post
Some rides have a sample car outisde the ride - mostly for pictures but you can see if it will work for you before you get in line I know they have them for Mr Toad and Dumbo
Teacups too!
Old 07-29-2011, 08:59 PM   #8
GFam1sttimers
Earning My Ears

Thank you Disney from all the Pooh's

I have not been to Disney yet, but I have read several forums about how size-friendly disney is. I have recently lost some weight, but even before I did I booked our trip based a lot on the fact that they cater to "pooh size! Thanks Disney for trying to think of everyone!
Old 07-29-2011, 09:11 PM   #9
GFam1sttimers
Earning My Ears

Thank you Disney from all the Pooh's

I have not been to Disney yet, but I have read several forums about how size-friendly disney is. I have recently lost some weight, but even before I did I booked our trip based a lot on the fact that they cater to "pooh size! Thanks Disney for trying to think of everyone!
Old 07-29-2011, 09:27 PM   #10
nana50
DIS Veteran

You will fit in most rides, but depending on your mobility with your size getting in and out is not always easy. The matterhorn and a small world are two examples. Room once you are in, a little hard to get in if you have trouble maneuvering. Hauling my "fluffy" booty out of it's a small world, pirates and the Matterhorn is not fun.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:03 AM   #11
MyYearWithTheMouse
Disneyland In A Year!

A good friend of mine is Pooh-sized and the attraction she feels the most uncomfortable in is Winnie the Pooh (how ironic!). The FL rides can be tougher too, particularly Peter Pan. The Matterhorn is "bobsled seating" which is that one person rides in between the legs of the person behind them. My friend has no problem riding in her own bobsled but is unable to share with someone else. She prefers her own car on BTMRR as well. You can also hang out at the exit of a ride and see if any Pooh-sized people are coming off of it saying "man, that was cramped!"

Shelby, head My Year With The Mouseketeer
MyYearWithTheMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 01:59 AM   #12
twelvesixteen
♡ fant☆smic ♡

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyfanforlife View Post
Don't worry! Stick to it and you will get there!

I don't think you will have to worry much about the actual size of the cars or anything, what may be a little difficult though is the lap bars. I'm pint-sized (almost 5'3 and 115 pounds) and I sometimes come off those rides rubbing my legs and abdomen, especially the ones in Fantasyland (Peter Pan, Mr Toad etc). The knees may get a little cramped in Dumbo, Matterhorn, Small World. I've never done "big kid" rides like Screamin' because I'm a wuss, I can only comment on the ones I've ridden!
twelvesixteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 03:19 AM   #13
Mickeyflower
I find that The Dis is my happy place many times

I have a friend who was TERRIFIED about fitting into the rides. We went for the 50th celebration. She is 5'10" and at the time, she weighed 372 lbs. She was able to go on everything she wanted to. We went on everything except the Tea Cups (didn't want to hurl!) To top it off, it was her first visit! She was in tears because she had such an amazing time and for the first time in her life, did not feel different or ashamed.

Go, have fun, and enjoy! You will fit into everything, including things with belts. Disney is the one place were disabilities disappear.

On a side note, my friend joined Over Eaters Anonymous and has lost over 160 LBS!!!!!
Old 07-30-2011, 11:46 AM   #14
disneydreamer74
DIS Veteran

Yes you should be fine! On last year's trip I was a size 22. On this trip I was a size 16 so I had on issues with any ride at all. I can remember when I had more weight that the Pooh ride was a tight squeeze. A Dis'er gave me a tip to sit in the back row ( just ask for it while boarding) and that was MUCH better! Also, Bug's Land in DCA has some tight fits as well. Heimlich's Chew Chew Train is quite small for us bigger people as well as the Bumper Cars. Other than those, most rides will fit comfortable. Rest assured that there will be many other "fluffy" visitors enjoying the parks as well!! Enjoy your trip!!
1997-WDW-POR,1998-WDW -offsite,DLR-Aug. 2008-DLH,DLR-July 2009-Hyatt Regency,DLR-Aug.2010-Holiday inn Anaheim-Bella's 4th bday , July 2011-Hotel Menage/FFI, Jan '12- FFI, July '12- FFI, Hojo's/ PPH-June '13. Next trip...Jan. '14- FFI
My family:me-SuperMom and Travel Agent Extraordinairre, 40 DH, 35 our princess DD 7 yrs old
disneydreamer74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 04:58 PM   #15
IWuvPooh
Earning My Ears

Re:

You didn't mention your size, but I'm a size 22 or 24 on top, and 24 or 26 on the bottom, and I fit in everything that I tried, easily. I was SO nervous before every ride, because I've been embarrassed at other parks before by not fitting in, feeling too fat, etc., and just afraid I wouldn't fit into the rides. But I did fit, in all of them! I was REALLY nervous, though, despite hearing Disney is so Pooh friendly. By the way, I'm 5'7 and I weigh about 330. But I carry a ton of weight in my bum, and I have a pretty big chest. I bet that up to a size 26 or even 28 would be fine on most rides, unless you have a reallllly big booty or stomach. I have a really big butt (I put J Lo to shame, truly! and that prevents me from sitting in rides with lap bars, sometimes. I was SO embarrassed at Six Flags Magic Mountain on the Terminator Salvation ride. It wouldn't fit, and I was embarrassed. But I didn't let it ruin my day. Anyway, Disney is VERRYYY Pooh friendly. The funny thing is that SO many of the Cast Members (CM's) are Pooh sized themselves! It's really kind of comforting to see. They're all quite nice. Anywho, here are the rides I went on, and they were all a breeeeeze:

Pirates of the Caribbean: NO restraints whatsoever, so NO problem.. This ride will fit people probably in excess of 400 lbs, as long as they can get in and out of the boat.
Small World: Same as above.. No restraints. I think the boats might be a touch smaller, but very, very Pooh sized folks can easily ride.
Splash Mountain: No restraints, again. Fun ride, but if you sit in the very back, you might have bit more trouble getting out. I'm extremely agile, so I didn't have a problem getting out of any rides, but I'd suggest sitting in the middle. The back is ok too, again, no worries with this ride unless you are very Pooh-sized, like 400 lbs. That might be a problem. But a size 26 or 28 would have no worries whatsoever, in my opinion.
Haunted Mansion: This was the tightest ride for me, but again it is because of my BIG BUM. There is a lap bar that closes at 1 set point, but a size 26 would definitely fit, and a size 28 would more than likely fit as well. Someone over 350 lbs. MIGHT want to skip this ride if their bum or tum is very large. But I did still have some wiggle room, the car is huge, it's just the lap bar that is a teeeeny bit tight. But probably, like I said, up to a size 28 would fit.
Disneyland Railroad:
This is a GREAT way to get around without getting tired. It's not exactly a "ride," but it kind of is. It's pretty fun and you get to see a couple scenes, like the Grand Canyon, and there plenty of room because it's a train with no restraints. It circles the entire park.
Indiana Jones: This ride was SO fun, and there is only a seat belt restraint. I sat on the end in the back, because I heard the steering wheel seat has the least room. Anyway, though, this seat belt is HUGE. I mean HUUUGGE. It's so long, I think a person even a size 30 or more could fit on it, it's really quite long, I guarantee you will have no problems with it if you're a 26 or 28. Before sitting down, pull the belt out all the way and it's easier to buckle then. It's a fun and thrilling ride.
Big Thunder Mountain: I was really nervous about this ride because it looked like the Terminator ride in Six Flags that I couldn't fit in. However, I definitely fit. I really, honestly cannot say where the lap bar stops, but if you are larger than a 28 it MIGHT not work. I'm honestly not certain, but if you're a 26, I can say that it will most likely fit. It's a very fun ride, and worth a try. If it doesn't fit, you can just walk right out the other side, the exit is right next to it. I believe that you will fit, though. Just don't take a small child with you, as they could get tossed around quite a bit if the lap bar is too far from their legs.
Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh:
Awww, I love Pooh and boy am I glad I tried this ride out. There was NO wait at the the time, and we just hopped right on. We sat in the back (heard it's roomier there), and it was just great. Again, this was a dreaded lap bar, but it fit comfortably! I was very happy. I bet a size 28 could fit, but if you're larger, I'm not sure because of the lap bar thing. Again, don't be afraid to try it, you won't be embarrassed because everyone there is so nice and you can just make a quick exit. However, Pooh-sized folk can ride this seemingly small ride.
Tea Cups aka Mad Tea Party: Fun, but dizzying ride that can accommodate Poo Sized folk. This was not the most comfy ride, but it's very room width wise. However, I've heard some people say that the wheel in the middle hit their tummies. This is not really an issue with me, as I don't really have a very large stomach, it's more my bum that was pushing me forward into the wheel, but it was still fine. Up to a size 28 would probably be just fine, but I think people that are way more Pooh sized can fit as well, just maybe not be able to turn the wheel, which is fine. The door to the teacup itself is kind of small, but I didn't have a problem with it, because I'm very agile. If you have a very, very large tum or bum, it might be a tight squeeze, but I think you'd have to be extra Pooh sized for that to happen.
Jungle Cruise: Great ride, no restraints, no issues.
Casey Jr. Circus Train: No restraints, fun ride, especially for kids.
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride: This one has a very high lap bar, so it will fit a vast majority of people. It's like a lap bar, but it doesn't rest so low. It's a very room ride. Up to size 28 or probably even 30 would probably be just fine. This ride was fine for me. You can see it before entering the actual ride, so just look at it before you go in.
Autopia: Fun ride. I went by myself, as many people do, so I could be sure of fitting. I didn't want to ride with another adult (child would have been fine), but I probably would have fit with another non-Pooh sized adult, anyway. The seat belt here is VERY long. Very, very long. A size 30, 32+ could probably fit, but they would have to be able to get out/have good mobility because it's a low car ride.
Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters: Really fun ride, but this was probably one of the tightest rides for me, along with Haunted Mansion because the car closes at 1 set spot. Up to a size 28 would probably be fine. More than that, I'm not sure, you'd have to try it out. It's not a lap bar, the car itself just closes up a bit, I believe. This would not be a good ride for someone 400+ pounds, I believe.

These are all the rides I just rode. They fit me just fine. If you are Pooh-sized like me, you WILL fit in these rides, I can almost guarantee it, so don't worry. In addition to these rides, I'm sure other rides will fit you, but I only had a chance to visit these ones. Also, there are many, many walk-thrus and various shows that are good for ALL sizes. Disney IS the most plus-sized friend park, where size truly doesn't matter. It's a great place to visit if you are overweight. You can even rent a scooter/wheelchair because the walking can truly be grueling if you want to explore the entire park and wait in line. You often get to go thru the exit in that case, I believe, instead of the entrance. I think that would make for a shorter wait in most cases. Also, take sunblock!!! I got burned, despite putting on sunblock, because I didn't reapply. Also, Splash Mountain will get you wet, so take some extra clothes or a rain poncho if you fear getting wet. I, however, just dried off in the sun! hehehe. Anywho, I would suggest resting often and putting your feet up (seriously). Don't carry a purse (perhaps a teeny one is ok, with a shoulder strap or something), but I just put a few things in my pocket and went out the door. Also, definitely wear comfy shoes!!! And socks! I wore sneakers but still got a blister because I'm not used to those shoes. Also, try going on more walks before you go to Disney so you'll get used to walking more. Also, don't worry about the parking, there are shuttles to take you to and from the park/parking lot. Basically everyone uses these, they are large city buses, converted in to shuttles, I believe.

There are also many, MANY attractions, such as the Enchanted Ticki Room or Mickey's House, that accommodate everyone, basically. It's a show or an attraction, so there of course are no restraints, which means it's probably great for 99.99% of people. The turnstyles were NO problem for me, I just turned sideways. The tightest one was the Jungle Cruise one, but again, no worries because they have a handicap/stroller door that you can just walk through if you don't fit. However, I just got up on my tiptoes and walked through, it was just tight. If you're larger than a size 28, I would suggest the door, not the turnstyle. Also, if you have mobility issues, it might be hard to get in and out of some of the rides . This would include the boat rides, splash mountain, the railroad and anything you have to hop in and out of. However, for the person with average to slightly less than average mobility, I think it will be fine. Don't be nervous, Disney is a GREAT place!!!
IWuvPooh is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: