Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2012, 09:28 AM   #136
Ohana 4
DIS Veteran

We are not going to WDW or Universal for this trip. We have decided to stay at the Vero Beach Resort for a few days before the cruise. We'll be renting a car and driving from the airport to Vero Beach, then driving the car to the port. I think it'll be lots of fun and a relaxing way to enjoy the days before a relaxing cruise!!!

Ohana
June 2011 Wonder Alaska (1st cruise)
March 2012 Fantasy W. Carib. (Maiden Voyage)
Oct. 2012 Wonder Hawaii (1st 2-week cruise)
Dec. 2012 Dream Bahamas (NYE)
Feb. 2013 Magic Cozumel (Grand Slam cruise)
Apr. 2013 Magic Cozumel (1st Gold Cruise)
July 2013 Dream Bahamas (With BFFs)
Nov. 2013 Wonder in Carib. (Fall Fun!)
June 2014 Wonder Alaska (A return to Paradise)
June 2015 Magic Norway/Iceland (A dream come true!)
Ohana 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 01:29 PM   #137
Tigger&Bubba
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohana 4 View Post
We are not going to WDW or Universal for this trip. We have decided to stay at the Vero Beach Resort for a few days before the cruise. We'll be renting a car and driving from the airport to Vero Beach, then driving the car to the port. I think it'll be lots of fun and a relaxing way to enjoy the days before a relaxing cruise!!!
That does sound relaxing to spend a few days at Vero. Good for you! We can hardly wait for this trip. Adventure booking window opens in five days.
DCL 12/29/02 Wonder 7550 New Year's Eve, 06/05/04 Magic 7536, 06/30/05 Wonder 2152, 09/18/05 Wonder 8548, 01/26/06 Wonder 6146, 06/29/06 Wonder 7628, 09/17/06 Wonder 8534 "11 Nights in Paradise", 05/11/08 Wonder 2100, 05/10/09 Wonder 8100, 01/29/12 Dream 12522, 03/31/12 Fantasy 8596 Maiden Voyage,
11/04/12 Dream 6638
12/23/12 Dream 12000 Christmas
12/28/12 Dream B2B New Year's Eve
Tigger&Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-26-2012, 04:48 PM   #138
BooToYou7
Earning My Ears

Hi all! Count me in as another cruiser on the Dream's NYE cruise! My entire family is going -- mom and dad, my sister and her family, and me and my husband. Hubby and I have a verandah room on Deck 6. It's our second cruise. Our first cruise was last year's 3 day post-Christmas cruise on the Dream!

Because the first cruise was a 3 day cruise, I think I missed out on some things you guys are talking about. We had a Pirate Night but I honestly don't remember a formal night and didn't realize this cruise would have one. How do you know when formal night is? How formal is it? I feel like such a noob, sorry for asking basic questions.

Thanks for any help!
Old 08-26-2012, 07:20 PM   #139
missjudit
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooToYou7 View Post
Hi all! Count me in as another cruiser on the Dream's NYE cruise! My entire family is going -- mom and dad, my sister and her family, and me and my husband. Hubby and I have a verandah room on Deck 6. It's our second cruise. Our first cruise was last year's 3 day post-Christmas cruise on the Dream!

Because the first cruise was a 3 day cruise, I think I missed out on some things you guys are talking about. We had a Pirate Night but I honestly don't remember a formal night and didn't realize this cruise would have one. How do you know when formal night is? How formal is it? I feel like such a noob, sorry for asking basic questions.

Thanks for any help!
Welcome BooTo You 7, and family.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:20 AM   #140
Love to Cruise DCL
DVC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooToYou7 View Post

Thanks for any help!
WELCOME!!
Formal night is usually on the night of The Golden Mickeys. You get a Personal Navigator when you get on the boat and then every night with the next days activities and information..it tells you on the front of there what the theme and attire is for the night.
This will be our 9th DCL cruise and we have never once done formal night...it is not mandatory and not our style. We stick with the cruise casual for meals. Some people are in full out gowns and tuxes , dresses and suites or just like us in cruise casual (yeah and there are some slobs who do not dress acceptably in my opinion too )
If you have any other questions just let me know
Steph

Disney Magic ~ 12/09 NYE 7 Night ~ 7/18/10 12 Night Baltic ~ 12/10 NYE 5 Night ~ 7/9/11 11 Night Med ~ 7/9/13 4 Night Med~ 11/29/13 5 Night W Caribbean

Disney Dream ~ 2/3/11 3 Night ~ 12/12 NYE 5 Night ~ 3/14/13 3 Night ~ 12/13 & 1/14 Back to Back NYE

Disney Fantasy ~ 8/9/14 7 Night Eastern Caribbean~12/2014 7 Night E. Caribbean Christmas Cruise

ABD ~ 6/30/13 ~ Once Upon A Fairytale
Love to Cruise DCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:59 PM   #141
RayRing
Mouseketeer

Hello All,

As of now, we are booked for the 12/28/12 5 day cruise aboard the Disney Dream.

My DW, DS12 and DD11 did this cruise last year, and signed up for this one, while we were onboard.

NOW, we have to see if we can deal with the full cost !!!

What is everyone thinking of doing while you are in Nassau.

Last year we booked a room at Comfort Suites for the day, and went over to the water park at Atlantis.
We found this a lot cheaper than booking through DCL.

Howerver this year, when I tried to book a room at Comfort Suites, it doesn't let me book just One Day. So I don't know of any other way to get into the Atlantis water park, than through DCL (Pricey !!!).

I would like to hear what everyone else is thinking of doing.
RayRing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:50 AM   #142
jeniamt
DIS Veteran

Just posted on the FB page regarding the FE list. I'm the only person who indicated being part of the small group. Most didn't choose either group, so I'm not sure how to interpret that. Hmmm? I'm excited to get sewing and want to give myself plenty of time. But since most of my gifts are personalized, I need to know who's in my group. I can handle the whole list as of now but do you think we will have a lot more people signing up? Would love to hear from folks who have done this more than me. Opinions please!!

jeniamt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:39 PM   #143
hcjgirls
Earning My Ears

Sorry...still learning this...what does FE group mean? Thanks!
hcjgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:40 AM   #144
nkoelr
Earning My Ears

FE stands for Fish Extender. The name comes from a metal fish that is outside each cabin on the ship. Behind the fish is a shelf so Disney can leave messages for you throughout the cruise. What people do is make (or in my case buy!) a long, skinny, fabric panel that has pockets in it (just go to Ebay and type in Disney Fish Extender and you will see what they are - or seach on the Disney boards since it is always a topic of discussion!).

Then a nice person on forums like this collect people's names, ages, cabin numbers and then throughout the cruise you leave small gifts in the FE for everyone on the list. It is a lot of fun to come back to your cabin and see what gifts have been left! But it is some work since you have to provide gifts for everyone on the list - and deliver them.

Gifts were all very different so it was a lot of fun. Some made handmade items or gave things unique to their hometown. Candy, magnets, toys, pencils, whiskey (a gift from someone from Kentucky)..... all sorts of things.

And it was fun to see everyone's FE and gave you an excuse to walk up and down the halls to view how people decorated their doors too.

We have been on many Disney cruises and have not been part of a FE exchange everytime - but it is part of the Disney cruise experience!
nkoelr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:46 AM   #145
nkoelr
Earning My Ears

Has anyone been on the New Year's Eve cruise before? I was kind of assuming that formal night would have been New Year's Eve - but it looks like New Year's Eve is Pirate Night. I am guessing this is so they only have to do one night of fireworks???

Is formal night the night of New Year's Day?
nkoelr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:40 AM   #146
minisiren
Minisiren-Jen

Getting so excited!

HI! My name is Jennifer and my DH and I were originally just booked on this cruise too, but we just decided to take our kids too! This was originally supposed to be a trip "just for us", but we decided we want our kids to experience the awesomeness of a Disney cruise again! The only difference this time will be.......we are keeping it a COMPLETE SURPISE to them until they open something on Christmas Day telling them we're heading to Disney the next day!!! They are going to be SOOOOOOOO excited!!!

So it's me and DH, DD (7) and DS (3) and we also have 3 other cabins of friends too, for a grand total of 11 people! We've never been on a "holiday" cruise so I can't wait to see the ship decorated!! I assume they'll still have the Christmas decorations up won't they? I hope so!!

Only 90 days from today!!!!

~Jennifer
Old 09-28-2012, 12:41 PM   #147
CanyonRider
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkoelr View Post
Has anyone been on the New Year's Eve cruise before? I was kind of assuming that formal night would have been New Year's Eve - but it looks like New Year's Eve is Pirate Night. I am guessing this is so they only have to do one night of fireworks???

Is formal night the night of New Year's Day?
We did this cruise two years ago on the Magic. Formal night was NYE with deck party & fireworks. Pirate night was the night before NYE without fireworks. Maybe this year we'll get fireworks both nights - we're on a bigger ship, right?

We're getting excited, either way.

12/27/2010 Magic 5-night Bahamas NYE
12/24/2011 Magic 6-night W. Caribbean X-mas
12/28/2012 Dream 5-night Bahamas NYE
03/30/2013 Fantasy 7-night W. Caribbean Easter
CanyonRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:50 PM   #148
CanyonRider
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by minisiren View Post
HI! My name is Jennifer
Welcome!

Quote:
we are keeping it a COMPLETE SURPISE to them until they open something on Christmas Day telling them we're heading to Disney the next day!!! They are going to be SOOOOOOOO excited!!!
We did a similar thing two years ago, but after the presents were opened we had Mickey call and tell them - it was very cool!

Quote:
We've never been on a "holiday" cruise so I can't wait to see the ship decorated!! I assume they'll still have the Christmas decorations up won't they? I hope so!!
The ship will still be fully decked out in x-mas decorations. It is spectacular! Only 90days to go!

12/27/2010 Magic 5-night Bahamas NYE
12/24/2011 Magic 6-night W. Caribbean X-mas
12/28/2012 Dream 5-night Bahamas NYE
03/30/2013 Fantasy 7-night W. Caribbean Easter
CanyonRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:44 PM   #149
jeniamt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
HI! My name is Jennifer and my DH and I were originally just booked on this cruise too, but we just decided to take our kids too! This was originally supposed to be a trip "just for us", but we decided we want our kids to experience the awesomeness of a Disney cruise again! The only difference this time will be.......we are keeping it a COMPLETE SURPISE to them until they open something on Christmas Day telling them we're heading to Disney the next day!!! They are going to be SOOOOOOOO excited!!!

So it's me and DH, DD (7) and DS (3) and we also have 3 other cabins of friends too, for a grand total of 11 people! We've never been on a "holiday" cruise so I can't wait to see the ship decorated!! I assume they'll still have the Christmas decorations up won't they? I hope so!!

Only 90 days from today!!!!

~Jennifer
Welcome! I am Jennifer as well... and I also have a 3 yo DS and an almost 7 yo DD!!! Yeah! You guys aren't too far from us either. Are you driving down? Since we had to get 2 cabins for our family of 6 we are definitely driving!!

So is anyone else staying up past midnight tonight? I paid in full today so I'm ready to go... to spend more money on excursions!

Old 09-28-2012, 07:52 PM   #150
jeniamt
DIS Veteran

Oh, I meant to mention... I am trying to add a 16yo to our reservation. She's my niece's bf and my inlaws' room is already at capacity with 4 people. Anyway, since we only have 3 people booked in each of our cat 5A rooms, we thought we could add her. She would actually stay with inlaws and our nephew would sleep with our kids. Well... the ship is at person capacity!!! Doesn't matter that our rooms technically have more space. All lifejackets are spoken for.

I'm wondering if space might open up on October 7th once all payments are due. Has anyone experienced this before?

Thanks for any insight.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: