Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 10:18 PM   #1276
zima-cheryl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 221HEMT View Post
Hi!
I'm new at this, hope I do it right.
Can anyone tell me anything about the cost of trip insurance and is it something you would recommend.
Thank you
We have used trip insurance for certain types of trips. Sometimes a little extra money is worth the peace of mind.

I always get ours through ***************** I tend to find, for our needs, it is usually better than what is offered via the airlines or travel companies. And personally, I like that you can compare & contrast offered policies from different companies on one website.

Look at the cost of your trip and the risk of something happening that could cause you to need to cancel or change it? If you are driving there from GA, probably not needed.
If you are flying in from Vancouver in February... probably a good thing to have the insurance. If you get snowed in & can't leave it covers you so you won't lose out on the day(s) of the trip you miss. Or if you end up stuck in Orlando & unable to fly home for an extra couple days you don't want to pay for all that out of your own pocket.

Do you, or a family member have a medical condition that might require you to cancel, reschedule or leave early from your trip?

Consider your bags. We prefer a short bag delay allowance window. So we have a few basics in the carry on, but if our checked bag is delayed more than say 4 to 8 hours I want a small allowance so I can buy a dress to go to supper that night or a fresh shirt for the next day.

Remember when you are weighing your options that WDW has a pretty generous window for changes & cancelatoins. I think 45 to 60 days depending on the package & rooms that you can cancel/change without a penalty. Other places/resorts are not always so flexible.

Lastly - read the details carefuly so you know the deductible amounts you are responsible for, what traveler(s) are covered, who to contact if anything does happen, what you need to have to file a claim and the time window for filing a claim.

Fortunately we've never had to file a claim (knock on wood.... don't want to jinx myself) but I feel better sometimes when I have it.

Sorry this is a bit long.... but that really isn't a yes/no question. Hopefully this helps a bit.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:11 PM   #1277
221HEMT
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by zima-cheryl View Post
We have used trip insurance for certain types of trips. Sometimes a little extra money is worth the peace of mind.

I always get ours through ***************** I tend to find, for our needs, it is usually better than what is offered via the airlines or travel companies. And personally, I like that you can compare & contrast offered policies from different companies on one website.

Look at the cost of your trip and the risk of something happening that could cause you to need to cancel or change it? If you are driving there from GA, probably not needed.
If you are flying in from Vancouver in February... probably a good thing to have the insurance. If you get snowed in & can't leave it covers you so you won't lose out on the day(s) of the trip you miss. Or if you end up stuck in Orlando & unable to fly home for an extra couple days you don't want to pay for all that out of your own pocket.

Do you, or a family member have a medical condition that might require you to cancel, reschedule or leave early from your trip?

Consider your bags. We prefer a short bag delay allowance window. So we have a few basics in the carry on, but if our checked bag is delayed more than say 4 to 8 hours I want a small allowance so I can buy a dress to go to supper that night or a fresh shirt for the next day.

Remember when you are weighing your options that WDW has a pretty generous window for changes & cancelatoins. I think 45 to 60 days depending on the package & rooms that you can cancel/change without a penalty. Other places/resorts are not always so flexible.

Lastly - read the details carefuly so you know the deductible amounts you are responsible for, what traveler(s) are covered, who to contact if anything does happen, what you need to have to file a claim and the time window for filing a claim.

Fortunately we've never had to file a claim (knock on wood.... don't want to jinx myself) but I feel better sometimes when I have it.

Sorry this is a bit long.... but that really isn't a yes/no question. Hopefully this helps a bit.
Thank you very much for the reply. I will be looking into it further and think that I will be getting it. Again thanks
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-13-2012, 11:35 PM   #1278
Trishtack
Mouseketeer

We are staying at BLT in October in a Deluxe Studio Lake View. We rented points. I have a couple of questions if anyone can help:

1. DH is paraplegic. There is little BLT info on the Disabilities threads. Anyone know if a Deluxe Studio will be big enough for DH, me and DD (7)? His wheelchair is manual but needs to be by the bed at all times. Our first trip we stayed in a Handicapped Accessible room at the Poly and had no space issues.

2. Are we eligible to use the Top of the World Lounge? I have saw several posts and still are confused.

3. Is the trip from BLT to the monorail a long walk?

4. Does the walk from BLT to MK have a dedicated path for wheelchairs? I'm imagining stroller vs ECV vs wheelchair wars..

5. My research using the boards shows 8014 as the only Deluxe Studio with a roll in shower. How hard is it to get a room request honored and can you be that specific?

I am grateful for any info you can share on the above and anything else anyone can throw in. We are super excited and this will probably be our last trip for quite a while. I want it to be as special as possible!
Old 03-13-2012, 11:43 PM   #1279
CR Resort Fan 4 Life
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trishtack View Post
We are staying at BLT in October in a Deluxe Studio Lake View. We rented points. I have a couple of questions if anyone can help:

1. DH is paraplegic. There is little BLT info on the Disabilities threads. Anyone know if a Deluxe Studio will be big enough for DH, me and DD (7)? His wheelchair is manual but needs to be by the bed at all times. Our first trip we stayed in a Handicapped Accessible room at the Poly and had no space issues.

2. Are we eligible to use the Top of the World Lounge? I have saw several posts and still are confused.

4. Does the walk from BLT to MK have a dedicated path for wheelchairs? I'm imagining stroller vs ECV vs wheelchair wars..

5. My research using the boards shows 8014 as the only Deluxe Studio with a roll in shower. How hard is it to get a room request honored and can you be that specific?

I am grateful for any info you can share on the above and anything else anyone can throw in. We are super excited and this will probably be our last trip for quite a while. I want it to be as special as possible!
The only answers I can tell you is this.

According to what others say only DVC members staying on points at Bay Lake Tower have access to the Top of the World Lounge. However others who rented points have mentioned being able to go up there, so I guess it depends on the Cast Member who checks for that.

The walkway to the Magic Kingdom does not have any dedicated paths for wheelchairs or ecv's.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:30 AM   #1280
psac
DIS Veteran

I believe when you book BLT, the accessible rooms can be specifically booked from member services. You should talk to the owner you rented from about trying to reserve one specifically if that's what you need, and if they are already booked out, you need to figure if that is a problem or not.
Good luck and enjoy!
Past AKL-K Apr'14, BWV Nov'13, VWL/DCL Fantasy Sep'13, Poly CL Jul'13, AKL CL Apr'13, BWV Nov'12, BC CL Jun'12, BLT Apr'12, BWV Nov'11, CR Jul'11, BWI CL Nov'10, GF CL Apr'10, GF Apr'09, Omni Champ. Apr'07, POR Oct '03
Old 03-14-2012, 09:05 AM   #1281
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!
I have yet to snag one of those recliner seats right in front of the big screen TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trishtack View Post

I cannot answer all of your questions, but if it is just the two of you in the studio and the sleeper couch is not out, there will be plenty of room by the bed for his chair. It did not have a large or heavy coffee table and was easy to move. With the couch out, the chair could be at the foot of the bed, but not enough room to be next to it.

As for TOTWL, like all BLT guests, there is the one elevator that gets you up to the top. I think there were both steps and a ramp built there for all guests, but that is just memory and may be wrong.

It was a short walk to MK. Once you get to the end of the parking lot, you cross the street at the light, and essentially, are where the buses pick up resort guests (other side). As for dedicated walk, i don't think there is one, but that should nit be an issue. You have the sidewalk and exit road from BLT to street, and then on MK side, it is a large walkway.

Have a great trip.
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187
Disneytopia LIVE! DVC Trip Reports
2014 DDC Disney World Series Champion
2011 Dis Dads Pro Football Pick'em Champion

Last edited by AirGoofy; 03-14-2012 at 05:04 PM.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:02 PM   #1282
chrismom3
I want to live on Main Street!

Has anyone ever rented a cabana at the Contemporary? If so, where are they located and do you have an idea of the cost? Thanks!

1997- Yacht Club 1998,1999- Beach Club/Wilderness Lodge 2001- Dolphin 2002- Grand Floridian 2003- Beach Club 2004,2005,2006,2007- Polynesian 2008- Beach Club(April), Polynesian(Aug) 2009- Dolphin(Feb), Yacht Club(Aug), Bay Lake Tower (December) 2010-Poly/Beach Club(2 weeks) 2011-Poly 2012-Contemporary tower (July/August), 2013-Poly, 2014 - Yacht Club

DH Me DS14
Old 03-14-2012, 02:25 PM   #1283
amsafko
DIS Veteran

HELP! I booked a Garden View room in the South Wing but am thinking about upgrading to the Tower. What are the pros and cons to both? If it helps, my kids are 10, 8, and 5.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:41 PM   #1284
CR Resort Fan 4 Life
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismom3 View Post
Has anyone ever rented a cabana at the Contemporary? If so, where are they located and do you have an idea of the cost? Thanks!
They are located just past their main pool and here is a link with all the information about them.
http://contemporaryresort.net/cabana.html
Old 03-14-2012, 02:45 PM   #1285
CR Resort Fan 4 Life
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsafko View Post
HELP! I booked a Garden View room in the South Wing but am thinking about upgrading to the Tower. What are the pros and cons to both? If it helps, my kids are 10, 8, and 5.
The pros is you would be an elevator ride away from their stores, restaurants, transportation options and etc. Plus all their Tower rooms come with a guaranteed full size balcony.

The cons would be they are obviously more expensive and if noise is a problem then you might risk getting a room over Chef Mickey's and here that celebrate song they play every half hour when they are open. You could request a room away from there, however it's only a request and might not happen.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:48 PM   #1286
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsafko View Post
~In the Tower, you would have an unobstructed view of either BL or MK. The views are magnificent. When you walk out of your room, you see down to the 4th floor concourse below and you can see the monorail

~In the GW, the views vary and they only go as high as the 3rd floor. There are no balconies in the GW. All Tower rooms have a balcony. The first floor GW rooms do have patios.

~The Tower is self-contained and everything, except the laundry room, is in it. The laundry room is in the GW.

~The GW rooms are less expensive than the Tower rooms, but they are exactly the same inside as the Tower rooms.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:39 PM   #1287
dmband
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR Resort Fan 4 Life View Post
They are located just past their main pool and here is a link with all the information about them.
I have been thinking of doing a afternoon on day one of our trip
We arrive at 11:30 to mco, DME to Disney and the rest of the day is free - no parks that day
Was trying to come p with a plan...
Boardwalk, dtd, cabana, mix, something else???
(def want to try and see the water parade since we are night owles and most likely will not be at the cr at the right time any other night)
The cabana just locks me down for a while where the others I can play it by ear more
Old 03-15-2012, 03:06 PM   #1288
chrismom3
I want to live on Main Street!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR Resort Fan 4 Life View Post
Thanks!!

Has anyone ever rented them and do you think its worth the $ ?

1997- Yacht Club 1998,1999- Beach Club/Wilderness Lodge 2001- Dolphin 2002- Grand Floridian 2003- Beach Club 2004,2005,2006,2007- Polynesian 2008- Beach Club(April), Polynesian(Aug) 2009- Dolphin(Feb), Yacht Club(Aug), Bay Lake Tower (December) 2010-Poly/Beach Club(2 weeks) 2011-Poly 2012-Contemporary tower (July/August), 2013-Poly, 2014 - Yacht Club

DH Me DS14
Old 03-15-2012, 03:47 PM   #1289
CR Resort Fan 4 Life
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismom3 View Post
Thanks!!
You're welcome.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:28 PM   #1290
Carrie772
Resolve to Recycle!

Has this dropped off the front page? Bumping!
'76 CR; '83 offsite; '94 CBR; '02 Residence Inn; '04 CSR; '05 Poly; '05 ASSp/WL; '06 Poly; '07 POR; '07 WL; '08 CSR; '09 Poly; '10 WL; '11 Poly; '11 POR/Poly; '12 CR/Poly; '13 Poly; '14 Quickie at BC;
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: