Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-02-2011, 02:11 PM   #796
CR Resort Fan 4 Life
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 39,674

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWKOOK View Post
Anyway, here's a vintage CR Christmas tree photo from today's Disney Parks Blog:

Very cool picture and it's hard to believe the 4th floor use to look like that.
CR Resort Fan 4 Life is offline  
Old 12-02-2011, 02:25 PM   #797
Mary T in PA


Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Altoona, PA
Posts: 1,079

Lounge experience... Just meh. One thing that irritated me was that we could get Dasani water bottles stocked in our fridge but the CMs made such a fuss to go and get some more for us. And 1 time a cM said regular rooms up there don't get stocked fridge. I didn't like that comment because if the CM was trying to make us feel great it didn't work- we are not superior above someone in a regular room. That bugged me.

Several times we came past the desk and can see the computer screen- several CMs were shopping and goofing off.

I realize that there is turnover as CRFan stated but if you've got time to play solitaire and shop on the Internet, then you got time to learn names.
__________________
Mary T in PA is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 12-02-2011, 02:26 PM   #798
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy
 
WDWKOOK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NoVA
Posts: 15,899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary T in PA View Post
Some initial thoughts. We are in flight right now,,,, we spent a week on 14th fl room #4914 which is the room we usually get. The suite is spacious, probably the biggest 1bdrm without being DVC or presidential. We love this aspect and the fact that the master bath is huge and the 2nd bath is decent sized too.

We noticed several issues and did bring them to concierge attention ASAP- light out in master bath, sink in bar area would back up and toilet in master bath was funky. Also the room was very clean but rundown. We've stayed in Gf and Poly 1bdrm suites and will say that the Princess Suite at the Poly is better but lacks a 2nd bath and we have DH use the 2nd bath as his own man cave as he's outnumbered by me and our 2DDs when we stay Tower club.

I hate to say we never rode the monorail on this entire trip. Just seems like such a hassle as compared to previous yrs. we had a car so just drove over to the other parks.

We did 2 MVMCP and the walkway was totally convenient. Plus the parties were great, not crowded at all.

Elevators worked good this trip, no trouble with key entry at all. Quick too. I noticed the 1 separate elevator across from the rest wasn't working.

We had a family discussion and decided that we will book BWI next year and get a deluxe room. It's a great room also and the Boardwalk has grown on us. Their CL staff is top notch.

The CL CMs at CR are clueless. We don't expect alot- they're not our personal slaves but with so few rooms on 14, and us being there the same week every year the past 4yrs, at least learn our names. Also security was up there yesterday and today- most likely one of the celebs was staying there for the parade taping. I didn't even bother to ask, i could care less about celebs. Last month we stayed at BWI and a CM told us who the celeb was staying in the Steeplechase suite.

We had a good trip, but I think our love for CR has waned a bit. Maybe we will try in a few years after the 14th FL is refurbed. It's to be like an upscale hotel.

I'm sorry my sentences may be jumbled up, hard typing on my cell.

IMHO if you can spend $$$ on a suite stay elsewhere. Just not sure it's worth it until the 14th FL is redone. And trust me, it saddens me to put that out there. I'm grateful to have stayed in the suite but we were treated better at the BWi and Poly.
Loved reading your review. It's a rare find to read a review of the Tower CLub.

It's sad that you've seen the service and quality diminish over the years. It sounds like it USED to be a family tradition for you to stay on the 14th. But, I think that you're making the absolutely right decision to spend your money elsewhere. You paid a lot of money to stay on the 14th and like you said, with so few guests, you should have received more personalized attention and service and a room that was not in a state of disrepair. If they didn't even make a point of calling you by your name or doing something special for you, then that reflects poorly on management.

As I already mentioned in another post, I experienced a real indifference on the Atrium Club level back in '10. They did nothing to make us feel welcome or appreciated. We also experienced issues with them not enforcing any lounge rules at all, not cleaning up very quickly after messy guests, acting as if they've been inconvenienced if you asked for milk when it wasn't out, they argued with each other in front of guests and often the concierge table was unoccupied - it was just an overall negative experience and I don't think we'll ever return, even though we love the CR.

I hope you have a safe trip home and enjoy your BWI stay. Will this be your first Innkeeper's Club stay? We're staying there for the first time in July and we can't wait!
WDWKOOK is offline  
Old 12-02-2011, 02:26 PM   #799
CR Resort Fan 4 Life
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 39,674

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWKOOK View Post
Forgot one photo and boy, the post sequencing is really screwed up today.


Wow that's a very nice picture.
CR Resort Fan 4 Life is offline  
Old 12-02-2011, 02:32 PM   #800
Mary T in PA


Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Altoona, PA
Posts: 1,079

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWKOOK View Post
Loved reading your review. It's a rare find to read a review of the Tower CLub.

It's sad that you've seen the service and quality diminish over the years. It sounds like it USED to be a family tradition for you to stay on the 14th. But, I think that you're making the absolutely right decision to spend your money elsewhere. You paid a lot of money to stay on the 14th and like you said, with so few guests, you should have received more personalized attention and service and a room that was not in a state of disrepair. If they didn't even make a point of calling you by your name or doing something special for you, then that reflects poorly on management.

As I already mentioned in another post, I experienced a real indifference on the Atrium Club level back in '10. They did nothing to make us feel welcome or appreciated. We also experienced issues with them not enforcing any lounge rules at all, not cleaning up very quickly after messy guests, acting as if they've been inconvenienced if you asked for milk when it wasn't out, they argued with each other in front of guests and often the concierge table was unoccupied - it was just an overall negative experience and I don't think we'll ever return, even though we love the CR.

I hope you have a safe trip home and enjoy your BWI stay. Will this be your first Innkeeper's Club stay? We're staying there for the first time in July and we can't wait!
We've stayed at Innkeepers club twice in past year, and really enjoyed it. In fact, a few remembered me as I went in May with my SIL and then in late Oct with DH and our girls. When you see how many rooms are there, it impressed me that a few CMs knew me. I think you'll love it. I love the atmosphere and the ability to walk or boat to 2 parks. Bus service to MK last month for mnsshp was great too, and I'm not fond of bus transportation.

I'll be at the Poly in July!!
__________________
Mary T in PA is offline  
Old 12-02-2011, 03:00 PM   #801
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy
 
WDWKOOK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NoVA
Posts: 15,899

The DIS is posting strangely again. Maybe the new server will help...

Anyway, here's a vintage CR Christmas tree photo from today's Disney Parks Blog:

WDWKOOK is offline  
Old 12-02-2011, 03:00 PM   #802
CR Resort Fan 4 Life
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 39,674

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary T in PA View Post
We've stayed at Innkeepers club twice in past year, and really enjoyed it. In fact, a few remembered me as I went in May with my SIL and then in late Oct with DH and our girls. When you see how many rooms are there, it impressed me that a few CMs knew me. I think you'll love it. I love the atmosphere and the ability to walk or boat to 2 parks. Bus service to MK last month for mnsshp was great too, and I'm not fond of bus transportation.

I'll be at the Poly in July!!
I agree that it's great how the Innkeepers Club Cast Members remember their returning guests, because you are right on since they have a lot more Club Level Rooms then the Contemporary.

Also here is a great example of their service when it comes to remembering their guests who return for multiple stays. When we stayed there in December 2010 they had already put cans of Sprite Zero in our fridge because my Mom requested them in August 2010, however for that trip we didn't request them in advance. Plus they did that again for our most recent stay there in August 2011. So in my opinion that's what set their service apart compared to the other Club Level Cast Members at the other Deluxe Resorts, because they remembered something like that when it had been a few months since we were last there and all the other guests they see everyday.
CR Resort Fan 4 Life is offline  
Old 12-02-2011, 03:17 PM   #803
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy
 
WDWKOOK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NoVA
Posts: 15,899

Forgot one photo and boy, the post sequencing is really screwed up today.


WDWKOOK is offline  
Old 12-03-2011, 05:11 AM   #804
psac
DIS Veteran
 
psac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 2,317

At the BWI club last year, one of the CMs (Lorenzo) knew our names by the second day, and knew which afternoon snacks we liked. I agree the CR CLs (especially the more "exclusive" one) should be as good if not better.
__________________
“It's kind of fun to do the impossible.” - Walt Disney
Upcoming BWV Dec'14
Past AKL-K Apr'14, BWV Nov'13, VWL/DCL Fantasy Sep'13, Poly CL Jul'13, AKL CL Apr'13, BWV Nov'12, BC CL Jun'12, BLT Apr'12, BWV Nov'11, CR Jul'11, BWI CL Nov'10, GF CL Apr'10, GF Apr'09, Omni Champ. Apr'07, POR Oct '03
psac is offline  
Old 12-03-2011, 06:51 AM   #805
hstrickland
DIS Veteran
 
hstrickland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Way Down South...
Posts: 3,186

KOOK....love those photos!!! That tree was awesome, and totally perfect for the CR.
__________________
2014 FW & WL CL Trip Report
Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground InformationThread

DH & Me DS 13 DD 8 DS 7
CR x 4 - WL x 2 - GF - ASMo - PolyCL - FW x 3- AKL CL - Dream - POR - ASMu - WL CL
hstrickland is offline  
Old 12-03-2011, 07:57 AM   #806
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy
 
WDWKOOK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NoVA
Posts: 15,899

Quote:
Originally Posted by psac View Post
At the BWI club last year, one of the CMs (Lorenzo) knew our names by the second day, and knew which afternoon snacks we liked. I agree the CR CLs (especially the more "exclusive" one) should be as good if not better.
I have heard great things about Lorenzo. We're staying for the first time in July and I think I'm more excited about that than the RPC portion of our stay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hstrickland View Post
KOOK....love those photos!!! That tree was awesome, and totally perfect for the CR.
Thank you, Heather. With the DISboards posting gremlins, yesterday's postings make little sense. I wonder where all those "vintage" resort trees are now - or did they just "re-purpose" them
WDWKOOK is offline  
Old 12-03-2011, 11:16 AM   #807
Roo's Kanga
Mouseketeer
 
Roo's Kanga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 102

Hi! Total newbie here! We are leaving in a few days for our first ever stay at Contemporary. Normally we stay at WL but wanted to try something new. Anyway I have a few questions for all of you experts:

We are staying in the cheapest rooms, so I assume that is the building away from the monorail. Not sure what it is called? But is there any way to get upgraded to the monorail building upon check-in? Sorry I'm not good with the proper terms for these things.

Also, are the pools open right now? Is it warm enough to swim? My son is 4 and I think he is half polar bear. He will want to swim even if it's below freezing. I was wondering if 70 degrees is a "comfortable" swimming temp for adults though? LOL

Is there any construction going on in the hotel right now? Any room areas we need to avoid staying in?

Thanks!
__________________
Too many trips to count as a kid - always stayed in Fort Wilderness Cabins
2004 - offsite
2006 - offsite
2010 - Wilderness Lodge
2011 - Contemporary Resort
2012 - Port Orleans French Quarter
2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter
2014 - ABD Scotland
Roo's Kanga is offline  
Old 12-03-2011, 12:59 PM   #808
CR Resort Fan 4 Life
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 39,674

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo's Kanga View Post
Hi! Total newbie here! We are leaving in a few days for our first ever stay at Contemporary. Normally we stay at WL but wanted to try something new. Anyway I have a few questions for all of you experts:

We are staying in the cheapest rooms, so I assume that is the building away from the monorail. Not sure what it is called? But is there any way to get upgraded to the monorail building upon check-in? Sorry I'm not good with the proper terms for these things.

Also, are the pools open right now? Is it warm enough to swim? My son is 4 and I think he is half polar bear. He will want to swim even if it's below freezing. I was wondering if 70 degrees is a "comfortable" swimming temp for adults though? LOL

Is there any construction going on in the hotel right now? Any room areas we need to avoid staying in?

Thanks!
Their least expensive room category is the Garden Wing - Standard View and it's a different building then the rooms located in the Tower, however it's only a 5 minute walk between both buildings and it's under a covered walkway.

Now sometimes guests have been given free upgrades at check-in from the Garden Wing to the Tower. However those were random and that decision to upgrade them was made a few days before they checked-in. Although the best way to make sure you get the exact room you want is to reserve it yourself, so if you want to stay in the Tower it's best to change your reservation.

The pools are open 365 days a year unless there happens to be a renovation which is not happening to them right now. They will also close the whole pool area and make everyone leave if there is a threat of lightning. Now being from Canada I would say 70 degrees is great swiming weather, so I guess that answer depends on who you talk to.

Finally I haven't heard any talk of construction to other areas of the Contemporary.
CR Resort Fan 4 Life is offline  
Old 12-03-2011, 01:24 PM   #809
nklooz
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 405

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWKOOK View Post
Forgot one photo and boy, the post sequencing is really screwed up today.


This pic is awesome. Thanks for sharing!
nklooz is offline  
Old 12-03-2011, 03:11 PM   #810
contemporarymom
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary T in PA View Post
Some initial thoughts. We are in flight right now,,,, we spent a week on 14th fl room #4914 which is the room we usually get. The suite is spacious, probably the biggest 1bdrm without being DVC or presidential. We love this aspect and the fact that the master bath is huge and the 2nd bath is decent sized too.

We noticed several issues and did bring them to concierge attention ASAP- light out in master bath, sink in bar area would back up and toilet in master bath was funky. Also the room was very clean but rundown. We've stayed in Gf and Poly 1bdrm suites and will say that the Princess Suite at the Poly is better but lacks a 2nd bath and we have DH use the 2nd bath as his own man cave as he's outnumbered by me and our 2DDs when we stay Tower club.

I hate to say we never rode the monorail on this entire trip. Just seems like such a hassle as compared to previous yrs. we had a car so just drove over to the other parks.

We did 2 MVMCP and the walkway was totally convenient. Plus the parties were great, not crowded at all.

Elevators worked good this trip, no trouble with key entry at all. Quick too. I noticed the 1 separate elevator across from the rest wasn't working.

We had a family discussion and decided that we will book BWI next year and get a deluxe room. It's a great room also and the Boardwalk has grown on us. Their CL staff is top notch.

The CL CMs at CR are clueless. We don't expect alot- they're not our personal slaves but with so few rooms on 14, and us being there the same week every year the past 4yrs, at least learn our names. Also security was up there yesterday and today- most likely one of the celebs was staying there for the parade taping. I didn't even bother to ask, i could care less about celebs. Last month we stayed at BWI and a CM told us who the celeb was staying in the Steeplechase suite.

We had a good trip, but I think our love for CR has waned a bit. Maybe we will try in a few years after the 14th FL is refurbed. It's to be like an upscale hotel.

I'm sorry my sentences may be jumbled up, hard typing on my cell.

IMHO if you can spend $$$ on a suite stay elsewhere. Just not sure it's worth it until the 14th FL is redone. And trust me, it saddens me to put that out there. I'm grateful to have stayed in the suite but we were treated better at the BWi and Poly.
I'm so sorry that your expectations for your trip weren't met. Disney seems to be very important to you and your family so your experience is really unfortunate. That said, I'm really shocked by some of your comments regarding the CL CMs at the CR.

We too have made it a family tradition for many years to stay CL, both Tower and Atrium clubs and have never had less than outstanding experiences and service from the CMs. They not only always remember our names but many of our likes and dislikes. They remember things about our lives and never fail to ask and we do the same in return. Like you, we really don't request much and are pretty relaxed while vacationing.

There is always some turnover but there is also a core group of CMs there that have been up on CL forever and IMO many of the recent additions have been wonderful. Obviously our family couldn't be happier and have no desire to even try another resort. It's interesting to me how people can have such different experiences in the same general setting.

I hope your next stay at a different resort is more to your liking and standards. Every vacation at Disney should be wonderful!
contemporarymom is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: