Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 02:01 PM   #1891
mickeyplanner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by annej View Post
We have used Garden Grocer almost every trip. I schedule my delivery time online and I have always received a call from them after it has been delivered to the resort. Sometimes it is before we arrive - late flight - sometimes after we are in the room. Bell services has always brought it to us. My experience has been that they have always been in the early part of the delivery window. They have never been later than scheduled or at the last possible minute.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NandK View Post
We have had the same experience as annej. I am not sure whether it will be GG or bell service calling since the delivery has always beat us to the resort, but I am sure one or the other will let you know when it arrives. You may want to move you two hour window up an hour or two if you want to receive it before your Chef Mickey ressies to be safe. However, if you keep the window with GG at 3-5 p.m., bell service will hold it until you are ready. Also, we have been pleasantly suprised with early check-in. The past two visits (one to BLT and the other to AKL - Kidani) we have checked in before 10 a.m. and a room was ready both times. The only catch is we have never been real picky as to the room location.
Thank you, now I know what to expect.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:18 PM   #1892
psac
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyplanner View Post
I am shocked that AAA would be able to give you such a great rate as compared to a DVC Rental. If you are worried about possibly having to cancel and the rates are that close, I would go with AAA.
Totally agree with this. In fact, there are multiple benefits for going through AAA:

1) Cancellable
2) As a cash booking, you would get full housekeeping every day, which you would not get with DVC booking
3) Direct contact with Disney; with DVC rentals, the member always has to be involved as a middle man, even with things like room requests
4) No risk of defaulting by DVC owner

Usually all of this is offset by the price of DVC rentals being MUCH better than any cash booking, regardless of discount. If prices are comparable, go with AAA.

(I'm a DVC owner if it makes any difference.)
Past AKL-K Apr'14, BWV Nov'13, VWL/DCL Fantasy Sep'13, Poly CL Jul'13, AKL CL Apr'13, BWV Nov'12, BC CL Jun'12, BLT Apr'12, BWV Nov'11, CR Jul'11, BWI CL Nov'10, GF CL Apr'10, GF Apr'09, Omni Champ. Apr'07, POR Oct '03
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-16-2012, 06:20 AM   #1893
zima-cheryl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by psac View Post
Totally agree with this. In fact, there are multiple benefits for going through AAA:

1) Cancellable
2) As a cash booking, you would get full housekeeping every day, which you would not get with DVC booking
3) Direct contact with Disney; with DVC rentals, the member always has to be involved as a middle man, even with things like room requests
4) No risk of defaulting by DVC owner

Usually all of this is offset by the price of DVC rentals being MUCH better than any cash booking, regardless of discount. If prices are comparable, go with AAA.

(I'm a DVC owner if it makes any difference.)
If you do AAA ask about the Diamond Parking pass too (assuming you will have a car when you are there). Should get you to a special parking area for each of the parks that is just for AAA folks.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:07 AM   #1894
applefans
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zima-cheryl View Post
If you do AAA ask about the Diamond Parking pass too (assuming you will have a car when you are there). Should get you to a special parking area for each of the parks that is just for AAA folks.
Thanks for all the helpful information! I was surprised at the comparable cost too. We haven't done a DVC point rental before, so I priced it out on what looks like a reputable site. For our stay, the AAA room-only quote was about $20 more. It looks like we could do a point rental for less $ per point if we go through a different site, though.

Is there any difference between the rooms, whether we book a standard view 1-BR villa through DVC point rental or through AAA?

Last edited by applefans; 08-16-2012 at 08:08 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-18-2012, 08:44 PM   #1895
Disneyfriend
DIS Veteran

Can someone please take pity on me and give me a quick recommendation for a room request for a 1-BR lake view at Bay Lake Tower?

We are staying there for the first time (on points, if it matters) this fall.

Are the hallways terribly long at BLT? Should I be sure to request something by the elevator? I ask because, during our last trip to Kidani, we were so *unbelievably* far away from the lobby! It felt like miles after a long day in the parks.

Any other tips would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Disneyland - 15+ times since childhood
WDW - Poly/AKL 2001; SoG 2006; SoG/AKL 2008; Poly/AKV 2010; AKV/BLT 2012
Aulani - Dec 2011 and April 2012

And new DVC owner!

Old 08-19-2012, 09:40 AM   #1896
magrudersmakes3
DIS Veteran

I just read that BLT is now going to have its own check in desk starting 8/20. I will be excited to read reviews and how it works.

1998 First trip offsite, 2003 CBR, 2004 Sea World, 2005 POR, 2007 POR, 2008 BW, 2010 CCL, 2010 HRH Universal, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Dream, 2013 POP/POR (Princess 1/2 Marathon), 2013 BLT
Old 08-19-2012, 09:53 AM   #1897
PoohsFan1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by magrudersmakes3 View Post
I just read that BLT is now going to have its own check in desk starting 8/20. I will be excited to read reviews and how it works.
That is very interesting....we will be checking into BLT on 8/31. Did you read if the check in desk will still be in CR or in the BLT lobby?

Old 08-19-2012, 09:59 AM   #1898
psac
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by applefans View Post
Thanks for all the helpful information! I was surprised at the comparable cost too. We haven't done a DVC point rental before, so I priced it out on what looks like a reputable site. For our stay, the AAA room-only quote was about $20 more. It looks like we could do a point rental for less $ per point if we go through a different site, though.

Is there any difference between the rooms, whether we book a standard view 1-BR villa through DVC point rental or through AAA?
I really don't think so, it should be the same. There aren't too many standard view rooms, so there isn't much to distinguish them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyfriend View Post
Can someone please take pity on me and give me a quick recommendation for a room request for a 1-BR lake view at Bay Lake Tower?

We are staying there for the first time (on points, if it matters) this fall.

Are the hallways terribly long at BLT? Should I be sure to request something by the elevator? I ask because, during our last trip to Kidani, we were so *unbelievably* far away from the lobby! It felt like miles after a long day in the parks.

Any other tips would be much appreciated. Thank you!
See this thread for tips. The last page has some lake view recommendations, but teh first page is a treasure trove.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2257082

Quote:
Originally Posted by magrudersmakes3 View Post
Very interesting! It's big enough, I guess that means its own bell staff as well.
Past AKL-K Apr'14, BWV Nov'13, VWL/DCL Fantasy Sep'13, Poly CL Jul'13, AKL CL Apr'13, BWV Nov'12, BC CL Jun'12, BLT Apr'12, BWV Nov'11, CR Jul'11, BWI CL Nov'10, GF CL Apr'10, GF Apr'09, Omni Champ. Apr'07, POR Oct '03
Old 08-19-2012, 10:53 AM   #1899
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoohsFan1 View Post
That is very interesting....we will be checking into BLT on 8/31. Did you read if the check in desk will still be in CR or in the BLT lobby?
According to what I've read, when the BLT check-in process starts up, anyone arriving by car will check in at BLT and those arriving by DME will check in at CR. Beyond the Aug. 20 start date, there was nothing else to tell how long that split setup will last.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Old 08-19-2012, 02:52 PM   #1900
PoohsFan1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post
According to what I've read, when the BLT check-in process starts up, anyone arriving by car will check in at BLT and those arriving by DME will check in at CR. Beyond the Aug. 20 start date, there was nothing else to tell how long that split setup will last.
Thanks for the info. We will be arriving on the DME so I guess we will just head into the CR to check-in, unless they direct us to some place else .

Old 08-19-2012, 02:56 PM   #1901
PoohsFan1
DIS Veteran

Doh , I am such a dork ...when we check-into BLT we will be coming from the Poly (doing a Split stay) therefore Disney will be taking care of our bags for us, however when we go to check-in, I will still head into the CR unless they direct us some place else .

Old 08-19-2012, 09:08 PM   #1902
jagfanjosh3252
#1 fan of the Jacksonville Jaguars

I"m thinking of renting points (if I can find a good price, lol) for a DVC Villa. I'm asking at all of the places that have them. What are the rooms like for noise level? I'm a heavy sleeper, but it takes a while for me to fall asleep. So I like quiet until I do, well either way lol. Can anybody tell me about this and any other DVC resort? Looking at a studio since it will be just me. Thank you!
Old 08-19-2012, 11:56 PM   #1903
twodogs
Mouseketeer

I thought it was super quiet there in May when we went.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:01 AM   #1904
twodogs
Mouseketeer

Military Discount?

Has anyone been able to use the Military Discount for 2012-2013 on 1- or 2-bedroom villas at BLT? All they are offering me Military for April or May 2013 is a studio. I really need a 2 bedroom, but would do a studio + 1 bedroom (though more expensive for same size, just not connected rooms, as I understand it) if I could get both with the military discount.

Trying to decide if I should book the studio now with military discount, and book 1 bedroom now rack rate, hoping to transition the 1 bedroom into military rate later. Does this ever happen such that it might become available later?

Or could book 2 bedroom now at rack rate, again hoping to convert to military rate later? Not likely, I guess.

Any one been able to get the BLT villas on military?
Old 08-20-2012, 09:04 AM   #1905
mickeyplanner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoohsFan1 View Post
Doh , I am such a dork ...when we check-into BLT we will be coming from the Poly (doing a Split stay) therefore Disney will be taking care of our bags for us, however when we go to check-in, I will still head into the CR unless they direct us some place else .
When we did a split stay last Fall from POR to BLT, we were actually able to check in at BLT by going through the main doors. It they did that last Fall for us I am sure they could do that for you now?

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: