Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2011, 01:28 PM   #811
princssdisnygina
Disney Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWISHFORDISNEY View Post
OK Poly experts I need tips/advice. I just changed our ressie from The Grand Royal Palm Club to the Poly Club level with a TPV. It is for my sons first birthday. I am a little freaked out to change hotels from my favorite The Grand but my 6 year old is begging to stay at the volcano hotel. It is all about pools at his age. I have visited and eaten at the Poly many times and have never actually stayed there. Those that do the club level how is the lounge compared others on property. My favorite club level is at AKL. How accomadating are they about requests. I know I am in the Hawaii building but I would prefer a first floor due to the strollers. I actually cant wait to stay here next month and my husband is warming up to the idea. I grew up staying at CR and usually stay at GF or AKL now. How are the cabannas also are they worth the fee. I might consider this for our departure day so we have a place to hang out.
The Lounge for CL is the only one on property that doesn't lock up at night... so you have access to beverages and the view all night long. I have never stayed CL at another resort but I did my research and this seems to be one of the favorites. I thoroughly enjoyed it in May and am returning in Nov/Dec!

The cabanas are worth the money if you like to lounge around the pool in your own space. You don't have to worry about kids except your own. Of course you will see them and they will be around but you have your own space! I LOVED having one and will be doing it again in Nov/Dec!
princssdisnygina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 02:21 PM   #812
cmesq61
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeBeeCee View Post
Oh...Yeah ...One month and one week...tehehe!
We have 1 month 1 week and 1 day! See you there!

Sept '13 DCL; Jan '13 The Poly; Sept '12 BWI; Nov & Sept '11 The Poly; June '09, The Poly; Sept '08 The Poly; Jan '05, DCL
cmesq61 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-13-2011, 04:01 PM   #813
ddluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

8 days left!!!

I can't wait!!!!
We actually leave in 3 days b/c we're staying at HRH before heading over to the Poly.
This is gonna be the best b-day ever, even if it's the big 4 0!!

Thanks to all you Poly experts I learned so much. Soon I'll be sitting on the beach w/ my Lapu Lapu and Pina Colava.
Safe and happy travels to all leaving soon.
ALOHA
February 2014*December 2013*October2013 F&W *September 2013*July 2013-Our condo.*April 2013- Our condo!!*April 2012- Sheraton Vistana*August 2011-Poly & HRH/CL Mom's 40th B-Day*November 2010- Bonnet Creek* August 2010-BC/CL & HRH/CL Mom's B-Day trip* April 2009- Orange Lake Resort* August 2008- GF/CL (Anniversary trip kid free)*April 2008- Orange Lake Resort* June 2007- Orange Lake Resort(2DS b-day trip)* April 2005- Orange Lake Resort* May 1995- CBR (honeymoon)* April 1988 off property* July 1978 off property

Last edited by ddluvsdisney; 08-14-2011 at 09:14 AM.
ddluvsdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 06:36 PM   #814
CR Resort Fan 4 Life
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princssdisnygina View Post
The Lounge for CL is the only one on property that doesn't lock up at night... so you have access to beverages and the view all night long. I have never stayed CL at another resort but I did my research and this seems to be one of the favorites. I thoroughly enjoyed it in May and am returning in Nov/Dec!
Actually the Atrium Club and Tower Club Level lounges at the Contemporary also don't lock up during the evening, although they don't keep their cans of soda in a fridge 24 hours a day like at the Polynesian.
CR Resort Fan 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 06:45 PM   #815
BeeBeeCee
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmesq61 View Post
We have 1 month 1 week and 1 day! See you there!
YaY! ....the DH and I are driving in ...and our DD27 and DD22 are flying in from Houston ...going to see Harry Potter on Sun and then checking in at the Poly on the 19th

We will see you there....
Old 08-13-2011, 08:49 PM   #816
DT83097
DIS Veteran

ddluvsdisney - how exciting for you - Woohoo!! Have a great trip! We are almost under a month

Aug 1997 CBR; 2000 CSR; April 2002 Offsite; April 2007 Poly ; Aug 2007 CBR
Aug 2009 Poly; Sept 2010 YC; Sept 2011 Poly; Aug 2012 YC ;Feb 2013 BLT; Sept 2013 BC
CSR Feb 2014-upgraded to YC! ; June 2014 GF
DT83097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 08:56 PM   #817
DT83097
DIS Veteran

We got our ME tags 2 days ago. Then today after coming home from the Disney store we got our cool new bag tags and travel booklet with a Photopass card and other vouchers. It's getting so close now!!

I think it will fly by as the kids go back to school in 2 weeks so we'll be busy with all things school related!! We went to Disney Store today to get a couple of t-shirts for everyone....unfortunately the closest one to us is about 1 hour away, but we did some other shopping in the area and made a day of it. We ended up getting a Belle dress and Captain Jack outfit for MNSSHP!! Can't wait to check into the Poly next month!

Safe travels to everyone leaving this coming week. Soak up some Poly love for us!!

Aug 1997 CBR; 2000 CSR; April 2002 Offsite; April 2007 Poly ; Aug 2007 CBR
Aug 2009 Poly; Sept 2010 YC; Sept 2011 Poly; Aug 2012 YC ;Feb 2013 BLT; Sept 2013 BC
CSR Feb 2014-upgraded to YC! ; June 2014 GF
DT83097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:30 PM   #818
chrismom3
I want to live on Main Street!

Changes at the Poly!

I'm sure this has been said somewhere in this thread...but we've just returned from 11 great days at the Poly and we were amazed at some of the changes!!
First of all, the biggest change to me was the quiet pool. It no longer has a deep end. They made it all about 4 feet (give or take). As of last year when we were there, they had a deep end roped off. Gives the pool a bigger feel since you can move around more to all ends of the pool.

The other major change was that they are now giving out wristbands at the pools. Someone is always walking around with the wristbands asking to see your room key. We saw many people being told that they couldn't stay to swim because they weren't staying there. It definitely did seem like it was less crowded then in years past. Apparently, people would come to eat at the Poly and then stay to swim!! The employees said that it was always a rule but that they never enforced it. Now they are!!

They also now have cabanas for rent. They seem very nice but are expensive. About $120 for a 4hour rental for the small cabana (fits 6) and about $180 for the larger one.

Of course the other "change" has to do with the DDP which is not exclusive to the Poly. Apparently, people were complaining about using their counter service for breakfast and having to get 2 drinks. So now, disney has decided to only give us 1 drink and an entree if we use a counter service for breakfast. I would have thought that disney would have at least exchanged 1 drink for a piece of fruit etc. Not sure why people would complain over getting 2 drinks. They could have always brought any extra drinks to the parks with them!

All in all, it was a great time at the Poly...as usual.

1997- Yacht Club 1998,1999- Beach Club/Wilderness Lodge 2001- Dolphin 2002- Grand Floridian 2003- Beach Club 2004,2005,2006,2007- Polynesian 2008- Beach Club(April), Polynesian(Aug) 2009- Dolphin(Feb), Yacht Club(Aug), Bay Lake Tower (December) 2010-Poly/Beach Club(2 weeks) 2011-Poly 2012-Contemporary tower (July/August), 2013-Poly, 2014 - Yacht Club

DH Me DS14
chrismom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:49 PM   #819
maryj11
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismom3 View Post
I'm sure this has been said somewhere in this thread...but we've just returned from 11 great days at the Poly and we were amazed at some of the changes!!
First of all, the biggest change to me was the quiet pool. It no longer has a deep end. They made it all about 4 feet (give or take). As of last year when we were there, they had a deep end roped off. Gives the pool a bigger feel since you can move around more to all ends of the pool.

The other major change was that they are now giving out wristbands at the pools. Someone is always walking around with the wristbands asking to see your room key. We saw many people being told that they couldn't stay to swim because they weren't staying there. It definitely did seem like it was less crowded then in years past. Apparently, people would come to eat at the Poly and then stay to swim!! The employees said that it was always a rule but that they never enforced it. Now they are!!

They also now have cabanas for rent. They seem very nice but are expensive. About $120 for a 4hour rental for the small cabana (fits 6) and about $180 for the larger one.

Of course the other "change" has to do with the DDP which is not exclusive to the Poly. Apparently, people were complaining about using their counter service for breakfast and having to get 2 drinks. So now, disney has decided to only give us 1 drink and an entree if we use a counter service for breakfast. I would have thought that disney would have at least exchanged 1 drink for a piece of fruit etc. Not sure why people would complain over getting 2 drinks. They could have always brought any extra drinks to the parks with them!

All in all, it was a great time at the Poly...as usual.
I'm very happy they are checking wristbands ! It is not fair to the people paying to stay at the Poly to be crowded at the pool !
Old 08-13-2011, 11:31 PM   #820
maryj11
DIS Veteran

I cant believe it !!! I FINALLY got a reservation for Ohana at a decent time besides after 9:00pm !!! I had 9:50pm and have been searching and searching everyday and finally managed to get 7:50pm ! It is later then I wanted but sure beats 9:50pm. I was going to cancel that one anyway because it was to late !
Old 08-14-2011, 05:53 AM   #821
cinmell
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP. That way when someone does the delete of nevermind edit we know what was there LOVES U2 & COACH bags

Quote:
Glad to hear they are still doing this.

~~My husband never thought anyone would read my post nevermind respond to it!~~
cinmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 07:40 AM   #822
plwheel
Earning My Ears

What to order at Kona Grill

Hi Poly fans,
Only 13 days until our trip to the Poly ! We have a reservation at Kona Grill on our first night, and I would love to know what people recommend for dinner there. I've heard the teriyaki steak is great, but what else would you recommend?

Thanks!
plwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:11 AM   #823
ddluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT83097 View Post
ddluvsdisney - how exciting for you - Woohoo!! Have a great trip! We are almost under a month
Thanks!!! I know we will.
Your trip will fly by. I don't know where the last month went!!
Especially going back to school you'll be there before you know it. Are you pulling your kids out for long?
The only time we ever did that was the first week of June a few years ago. I wasn't really concerned b/c by that time of year there's really not much going on anyway.
Have a fantastic trip
February 2014*December 2013*October2013 F&W *September 2013*July 2013-Our condo.*April 2013- Our condo!!*April 2012- Sheraton Vistana*August 2011-Poly & HRH/CL Mom's 40th B-Day*November 2010- Bonnet Creek* August 2010-BC/CL & HRH/CL Mom's B-Day trip* April 2009- Orange Lake Resort* August 2008- GF/CL (Anniversary trip kid free)*April 2008- Orange Lake Resort* June 2007- Orange Lake Resort(2DS b-day trip)* April 2005- Orange Lake Resort* May 1995- CBR (honeymoon)* April 1988 off property* July 1978 off property
ddluvsdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:27 AM   #824
Tinkerbellie16
Certified Disneyaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarob View Post
Hehe, you saw me right after I finished a Banana Cabana I believe.

The Banana Cabana was my absolute favorite pool drink until last year when I discovered the Blackberry Peach Lemonade. That wins.

Now, as for mixed drinks at the restaurant lounges, I love me some Lapu Lapu, don't get me wrong, but last year I discovered the Kentucky Peach at the territory lounge. This drink is just absolutely amazing. They're a mix of Black Cherry Bourbon, Peach Schnapps, Sprite, a little mint and a couple other things that I've forgotten. Here's a pic of mine and Mrs. B's:

I've noticed that the lounge menus are pretty much standardized and I ordered up one of those whenever I found them (the only place I didn't find one was at the Belle Vue Lounge at the Boardwalk). They are very refreshing and pack a nice punch. They should NOT include a straw. They go down way too easily for that.
I knew there was a 'peach' something I liked (Blackberry Peach Lemonade)!!! I actually tried that one too because of your recommendation! Thanks for posting so I knew I wasn't crazy. Now I've got to try the Kentucky Peach. Oh the things I do for the DISboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddluvsdisney View Post
8 days left!!!

I can't wait!!!!
We actually leave in 3 days b/c we're staying at HRH before heading over to the Poly.
This is gonna be the best b-day ever, even if it's the big 4 0!!

Thanks to all you Poly experts I learned so much. Soon I'll be sitting on the beach w/ my Lapu Lapu and Pina Colava.
Safe and happy travels to all leaving soon.
ALOHA
Have a great time!!

Quote:

That's an interesting view on the East pool. I am really bummed about the change because we used to dive for divesticks in the deep end. I haven't stayed since the change but we will be there in October to check it out.

And I am so glad to hear about the wristbands. This seems to be more consistent now. If they are not doing it while we are there and it seems crowded, I am going to ASK!

6/14 YC 10/13 Poly 5/13 Poly & BC 10/12 Poly 7/12 CSR/BWV 5/12 CBR 3/12 DL 10/11 Poly 5/11 VWL 9/10 Poly 3/10 Dolphin 4/09 Poly 4/08 BC 5/07 Poly/Cruise/ASMo 7/06 AKL 7/00 POR 7/98 DisIns 3/98 Off 7/96 POR +
Tinkerbellie16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:29 AM   #825
Tinkerbellie16
Certified Disneyaholic

Cabana question!

I was interested in getting a massage but the GF spa will be closed when I am there. Do they offer massages in the cabanas? We plan on renting a cabana and that would be a perfect time if they offer it. Thanks!

6/14 YC 10/13 Poly 5/13 Poly & BC 10/12 Poly 7/12 CSR/BWV 5/12 CBR 3/12 DL 10/11 Poly 5/11 VWL 9/10 Poly 3/10 Dolphin 4/09 Poly 4/08 BC 5/07 Poly/Cruise/ASMo 7/06 AKL 7/00 POR 7/98 DisIns 3/98 Off 7/96 POR +
Tinkerbellie16 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: