Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2012, 12:27 PM   #3196
carlnix30
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiapapaya View Post
When we were there in October the free wireless worked fine with our laptop (but I was mainly just checking email etc), but my sister & BreezysMom both said that it didn't work well with their iPhones, so I don't know about streaming. (I don't know what the problem was with the phones) We'll keep our fingers crossed though. We all appreciate a little Poly fix when we can get it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezysMom View Post
We were also there when they crossed over to the free WiFi so that may have been part of the reason. For us the WiFi worked great in the CL lounge and lobby but the room was spotty.

But again, that was like the first few days of having it so maybe they got all the bugs out by now

Carl, I do know tecdavid said he had some issues streaming the NYE fireworks. I think there is a post a around the first of the year where he explains the issues he had.

Happy Sunday Poly Lovers
Last June when I did the live feed at the cabana I was getting the wifi from the GF and it was great! When I went to the room and used even the wired connection it was terrible. I wasn't happy considering the price. Down on the beach it was great! If I can get a good signal then the poly live feed will be on for June again. I will set it up where a video of previous footage will come on if I turn off the live feed. So that we don't have dead time during the feed.

disdads member#559
me DW DD17 DS15 DD14
2007 WL, 2008 CB, 2009 Poly CL TPV, 2009 Poly CL TPV again!, 2010 Poly CL TPV, 2011 Poly CL TPV! 2012 Poly CL TPV
carlnix30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 12:33 PM   #3197
carlnix30
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiapapaya View Post
When we were there in October the free wireless worked fine with our laptop (but I was mainly just checking email etc), but my sister & BreezysMom both said that it didn't work well with their iPhones, so I don't know about streaming. (I don't know what the problem was with the phones) We'll keep our fingers crossed though. We all appreciate a little Poly fix when we can get it!

Quote:
We were also there when they crossed over to the free WiFi so that may have been part of the reason. For us the WiFi worked great in the CL lounge and lobby but the room was spotty.

But again, that was like the first few days of having it so maybe they got all the bugs out by now

Carl, I do know tecdavid said he had some issues streaming the NYE fireworks. I think there is a post a around the first of the year where he explains the issues he had.

Happy Sunday Poly Lovers
Last June when I did the live feed at the cabana I was getting the wifi from the GF and it was great! When I went to the room and used even the wired connection it was terrible. I wasn't happy considering the price. Down on the beach it was great! If I can get a good signal then the poly live feed will be on for June again. I will set it up where a video of previous footage will come on if I turn off the live feed. So that we don't have dead time during the feed.

disdads member#559
me DW DD17 DS15 DD14
2007 WL, 2008 CB, 2009 Poly CL TPV, 2009 Poly CL TPV again!, 2010 Poly CL TPV, 2011 Poly CL TPV! 2012 Poly CL TPV
carlnix30 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-15-2012, 12:51 PM   #3198
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

Quote:
and yet it worked fine for us in the room! : typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbellie16 View Post
Carl - you went and did it. Made me go to Tikiman's site. The music came on, the kids came a runnin' and the inevitable question, "Are we going back????" It sucked to say not anytime soon I'll just live vicariously through y'all
sad how we've got our kids all brainwashed! Sorry you're not going to be seeing the Poly soon, but I see from your ticker there's a DL trip in the near future. That's exciting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlnix30 View Post
Sounds great to me!

me DH DD23 DD12 DD9 Finnegan Daisy
1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 Poly
maiapapaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 01:09 PM   #3199
goofybabe
Mouseketeer

just returned last night from another great vacation at the Poly.We were so lucky with the weather Sunday thru Thursday were 79 just perfect Friday was cooler but great for park hopping and walking ,we went swimming twice very nice.Poly is the same every visit PERFECT!! No work on the sand or pools.The staff is very accommodating and will go out of their way to help you regardless if you are concierge or regular longhouse .Can't wait to plan another trip in the near future P.S.we had a bounce back offer in our room 35% off a future visit!
Old 01-15-2012, 01:36 PM   #3200
shinez
If you are lucky enough to be at the beach, then you are lucky enough!

Location: Maine! Just a hop skip and a jump from the coast...

Vocano Pool?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofybabe View Post
just returned last night from another great vacation at the Poly.We were so lucky with the weather Sunday thru Thursday were 79 just perfect Friday was cooler but great for park hopping and walking ,we went swimming twice very nice.Poly is the same every visit PERFECT!! No work on the sand or pools.The staff is very accommodating and will go out of their way to help you regardless if you are concierge or regular longhouse .Can't wait to plan another trip in the near future P.S.we had a bounce back offer in our room 35% off a future visit!
Did I hear a nasty rumor that they are going to be working on the Volcano Pool during Feb. 2012??

Shauna
DD's 17& 15, DS 10
Aulani with the fam Feb. 2015! Back to the POLY for Hubby's 50th Nov. 2014!Wilderness Lodge - April 2013! Back to the Polynesian- Feb 2012! Disney Cruise- Magic- Feb. 2010 Surprise 40th B-day trip sans kids- Dolphin- Oct. 2009Polynesian- Nov. 2008 Polynesian-March 2006Polynesian-March 2003 Polynesian-Feb 2002 Hop skip and a jump over to Disneyland-Paris on Honeymoon- June 1995 Polynesian- March 1994Polynesian- March 1993 Off-site- College Spring Break 1989 & 1988 1st Disney Vaca with Family at the Sharaton Lakeside Motel April 1977

shinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 01:56 PM   #3201
iloveeeyore
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinez View Post
Did I hear a nasty rumor that they are going to be working on the Volcano Pool during Feb. 2012??
One of the drawbacks to visiting WDW during the slower winter months is that much "routine maintenance" is done during this time, as it effects fewer guests. This happens particularly with the pools at just about all the resorts. There was a report that the volcano pool slide would be done over a 2-week period in January, but then it was postoned until February. There doesn't seem to be any official info coming directly from Disney, but it is likely that routine maintenance will occur on the volcano slide at some point during the winter. I think it's unlikely it will happen during President's Week.

The good news is that WHEN the volcano slide is "down," guests of the Poly will be allowed and encouraged to use the pools at the GF. In fact, quick transportation, in the form of speedboats, is often provided to shuttle guests back and forth.

With DH and DKs - CR TPV, CSR, AKL CL, WL CY, Poly GV (x3), Poly GVC, Courtyard by Marriott DTD, CBR
Numerous trips as kids to CR, Poly, Golf Resort

Last edited by iloveeeyore; 01-15-2012 at 02:12 PM.
iloveeeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:10 PM   #3202
iloveeeyore
DIS Veteran

We're heading back to the Poly!

We booked our vacation about 10 days ago, and it's taken me about that long to catch up on my favorite DisBoard thread!!

We are so thrilled to be going back to the Poly this summer, checking in on Saturday August 4 for one week GV with deluxe dining! For those who don't remember us, we did a huge celebration trip in the summer of 2010, a split stay at the Poly/AKL CL. We loved AKL CL, but it didn't compare to our beloved Poly! This is the view we had on the third floor of Samoa, and we have requested this view again:

We thought this was a FANTASTIC view and location for a GV price! We know it's only a request, we will be happy with ANY room at the Poly!

We are flying into MCO on Friday, because it is actually cheaper to fly in a day early and stay at a value resort than to fly in on Saturday...plus we can be at the Poly bright and early on Sat. to check in. We've always wanted to try a value resort, but not for a whole week, so this is the perfect opportunity. I booked ASMu and requested Jazz section as both of our teens love Jazz music.

This will be our first DxDDP, so we're excited about that too!

For those Poly 1st timers who have been asking about things not to miss...I agree with all above responses, plus here are a few things I'd like to add or emphasize:

EWP from dock or beach
Torch Lighting Ceremony
Hammocks on beach
Relaxing in Tambu Lounge
Rent Water Mice at Marina SO MUCH FUN!
Wishes from beach (Before you pick a spot, make sure you are standing or sitting near a speaker from which you can hear the Polynesian background music. The Wishes soundtrack is supposed to be played on these speakers.)

ALOHA, friends!!! So thrilled to be back!

With DH and DKs - CR TPV, CSR, AKL CL, WL CY, Poly GV (x3), Poly GVC, Courtyard by Marriott DTD, CBR
Old 01-15-2012, 02:24 PM   #3203
shinez

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveeeyore View Post
We booked our vacation about 10 days ago, and it's taken me about that long to catch up on my favorite DisBoard thread!!

We are so thrilled to be going back to the Poly this summer, checking in on Saturday August 4 for one week GV with deluxe dining! For those who don't remember us, we did a huge celebration trip in the summer of 2010, a split stay at the Poly/AKL CL. We loved AKL CL, but it didn't compare to our beloved Poly! This is the view we had on the third floor of Samoa, and we have requested this view again:

We thought this was a FANTASTIC view and location for a GV price! We know it's only a request, we will be happy with ANY room at the Poly!

We are flying into MCO on Friday, because it is actually cheaper to fly in a day early and stay at a value resort than to fly in on Saturday...plus we can be at the Poly bright and early on Sat. to check in. We've always wanted to try a value resort, but not for a whole week, so this is the perfect opportunity. I booked ASMu and requested Jazz section as both of our teens love Jazz music.

This will be our first DxDDP, so we're excited about that too!

For those Poly 1st timers who have been asking about things not to miss...I agree with all above responses, plus here are a few things I'd like to add or emphasize:

EWP from dock or beach
Torch Lighting Ceremony
Hammocks on beach
Relaxing in Tambu Lounge
Rent Water Mice at Marina SO MUCH FUN!
Wishes from beach (Before you pick a spot, make sure you are standing or sitting near a speaker from which you can hear the Polynesian background music. The Wishes soundtrack is supposed to be played on these speakers.)

ALOHA, friends!!! So thrilled to be back!
Holy Cow what a view!!!! Samoa, huh? Hmmm...looking good! Never rented the mice... think this might be the year! Any other tips? How did you go about 'requesting' this room??

Shauna
DD's 17& 15, DS 10
Aulani with the fam Feb. 2015! Back to the POLY for Hubby's 50th Nov. 2014!Wilderness Lodge - April 2013! Back to the Polynesian- Feb 2012! Disney Cruise- Magic- Feb. 2010 Surprise 40th B-day trip sans kids- Dolphin- Oct. 2009Polynesian- Nov. 2008 Polynesian-March 2006Polynesian-March 2003 Polynesian-Feb 2002 Hop skip and a jump over to Disneyland-Paris on Honeymoon- June 1995 Polynesian- March 1994Polynesian- March 1993 Off-site- College Spring Break 1989 & 1988 1st Disney Vaca with Family at the Sharaton Lakeside Motel April 1977

Old 01-15-2012, 02:48 PM   #3204
shinez

Requesting Longhouses

Hi Polys!
How do you go about requesting a certain longhouse? Clue me in on this one, I would love to try and request a top 2... girl can dream, right??

Shauna
DD's 17& 15, DS 10

Old 01-15-2012, 03:09 PM   #3205
iloveeeyore
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinez View Post
Holy Cow what a view!!!! Samoa, huh? Hmmm...looking good! Never rented the mice... think this might be the year! Any other tips? How did you go about 'requesting' this room??
We used a travel agent, so I told her to make the request for me at the time that I booked. If I had booked directly through Disney, I would have told them to note my request on my ressie at the time of booking. If you are already booked, you can call either your TA if you used one, or call WDW central reservations to add your request to your reservation.

We wanted a balcony, that was our #1 priority, but we also wanted a lovely view. I had researched (on the Dis and through Tikiman) the kind of view we wanted and requested like this:

"Third floor balcony, preferably in Samoa on the volcano pool side or in Fiji on the marina side." We were thrilled that our request was granted and were on the whole week! We sat on that balcony watching pool games and boats sail and monorail glide. It was awesome! Honestly, there are so many wonderful rooms at the Poly, it's hard to know what's best!

Hope this helps.

ETA: Regarding the water mice, we thought that the price we paid for 30 minute rental of these was some of the best "extra" money we ever spent in WDW. Our faces were hurting from all the smiling we did in that half hour!

Last edited by iloveeeyore; 01-15-2012 at 03:44 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:46 PM   #3206
sarahb74
Mouseketeer

Power sockets

Hi, we have booked our first ever stay at the Poly for this August, and I was wondering how many sockets there are in the room for charging mobiles/cameras/laptops etc as we seem to have a huge number of things that will all need charging at once!

Thanks,
Sarah

HNY April 2008, DLH Feb 2010, HNY Dec 2010, ESC May 2011, CC Aug 2013, HNY Feb 2014
Poly Aug 2012
Grand Californian Aug 2014
sarahb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 04:53 PM   #3207
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon

Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahb74 View Post
Hi, we have booked our first ever stay at the Poly for this August, and I was wondering how many sockets there are in the room for charging mobiles/cameras/laptops etc as we seem to have a huge number of things that will all need charging at once!

Thanks,
Sarah
I plan on bringing a surge protector as we are the same.
Venomhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:02 PM   #3208
Tess
DIS Vet - 1997
Still thinking happy little thoughts. . .
The Tag Fairy sees and loves Tess too!

Quote:

Thanks,
Sarah
There is a power strip on the desk at the Polynesian with the typical amount of outlets--6 I am thinking. There are outlets throughout the rooms, perhaps four with a double outlet. You may have to unplug a lamp from one of those for more outlet access. Hopefully, you won't need more electricity than that--if so--I am thinking you have way too many toys.

I am sure your electronic needs will be accommodated and I hope you enjoy your stay. FYI, there is an Ipod docking station within the clock radio on the nightstand. That might save on some space.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:14 PM   #3209
iloveeeyore
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Thanks,
Sarah
I don't remember how many, but I do remember there weren't enough! I recommend bringing a power strip.

Old 01-15-2012, 05:16 PM   #3210
disneydreamin247
DIS Veteran

We have three iPhones, an ECV, an iPad, and a MiFi to charge and managed just fine everyday.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: