Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2012, 02:20 PM   #3136
tinacaplan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stasieki View Post
Being able to stay in the resort of my dreams – went there in the early 80’s with my family, but have never managed to stay there. This includes sitting on the bench by the fountain with my little family for a picture. Same bench I sat on for a picture with my family (parents now divorced after 32 years of marriage)

Spending quality time with my family and our great friends that are coming with us. Our best friends from college - our daughters and thier daughters best of friends (we live in different states now). We have been working way too hard lately.

Trying to “go with the flow” for the first time – even though going the wrong week to do that (Presidents Week). I’m usually commando.

Some new restaurants… Ohana for breakfast and Kona for lunch

Drinking REAL coffee while at Disney

Drinking that REAL coffee hopefully on a balcony early morning while my husband and little girls sleep

Getting my 21 month old first hair cut at the Harmony Barbershop

Having tea at the Grand Floridian with my 6 year old

And, lastly trying a Lapu Lapu by the volcano pool if warm enough
Hello! I just had to comment on your post, as we'll be at Poly that very same week! And I'm super excited about a lot of the same things. Its also going to be our first time staying at monorail resort. And...yes...real coffee sure sounds great!

Oh, and I've decided that it is going to be warm enough! We've been Pres. Week for the past two years and the first year we were a tad chilly (OK, we were downright cold, but the New Englander in me can't admit it) and the second year, it was in the low 80s and sunny all week. Ah-mazing.

As far as the crowds that week, two words: rope drop!
AofA - 2012
SSR - 2012
OKW - 2012

tinacaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:32 PM   #3137
DisMom72
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_heart_the_mouse View Post
Based on what you have said, I do think that request sounds perfect for your family. I hope you get it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by maiapapaya View Post
I have never stayed in Tahiti myself, but based on other's reports for the criteria you listed it sounds like it's the right choice! There is also a beach infront of Tahiti that not many people use, so it's pretty private. Just make sure that you put "Tahiti" as the first thing when you list your preferences in your request, that way the room assigner knows what your priority is. Good luck!
Exactly what I was hoping to hear! Thanks so much
DisMom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-13-2012, 02:33 PM   #3138
OooDeLally
Earning My Ears

Best resort by far...

Not sure if this is the place to post this, but

The past few years we have stayed at the Poly and loved it. We wanted to venture out this year, and we really excited to stay at the Contemporary. Minimalist decor, lots of time to chat due to the long walk to the monorail and MK (we stayed in the Garden Wing), awkard sliding doors in the bathroom which do not lock and give minimal privacy, a nice television you can only see from one of the beds. And if you like going to boring work conferences, you will love the non-Disney feeling of this resort!

But seriously, I didn't expect to miss the Poly so much. The staff are friendlier, the atmosphere was more exciting, the walk to GCH was prettier. And the GCH has so much to offer (beautiful scenery, pool-view/castle-view/fireworks view, all of which you can enjoy without having to eat at a restaurant), which you don't realize until you compare it to the Grand Canyon Snooze-course. At CR, I felt like I was staying in a Holiday Inn. The only plus for CR was two sinks in the bathroom, but using the two meant having zero counterspace, so we threw a towel over one of them to hold our toiletries. We did make it to Ohana for dinner one night, and it was so hard to leave the Poly that evening!

The Poly makes us feel like we were on a vacation-within-a-vacation.
OooDeLally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:45 PM   #3139
Tinkerbellie16
Certified Disneyaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomhatch View Post
May I ask is there a master list of must have drinks and what they may taste like or your descriptions?
I really enjoyed the Island Sunset last time. It is a frozen drink but was nice to get at the bar and walk around the shops to drink it. The lapu lapus are a must to get - but only one! They are expensive and quite strong (so strong, I usually mix it with another drink). My favorite is the poolside lemonade with LIGHT lemonade, vodka, and a pomegrante liquor. It is a bit lower in calories than the other drinks and really sippable. Another favorite is the backscratcher. It's a tropical but strong drink and they give you a bamboo back scratcher with it! With two kids, you are obligated to get two drinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraPA View Post
Oh and by the way I've never done the luau, would love some comments on that as well. I've known a few people that said it was ok but wouldn't do it again, so looking for some better reviews!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomhatch View Post
Anyhow. Fellow members that have been to the luau show, is it good? How long is the show? Do they have more than one show per night?
On our last trip to the Poly, and our fourth trip, I finally tried the luau. It was not worth it to us. We were on the dining plan and were put in the 3rd category way in the back. It was difficult to see everything. While the dancers and fire thrower were good, the rest of the show was definitely cheesy and not worth it. The food was ok but the dessert was really bad. I also did not like how they made you wait to get in, wait for the bathrooms, wait to get out, etc. I have been to real luaus and shows in Tahiti and Hawaii so I think I am biased. IF I had category 1, I would probably have a better opinion of the show. But I didn't and I don't need to go back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarob View Post
While certainly not the best show going (Hoop De Doo Revue, IMHO) the Luau is a really great show/dinner/thingtodoindisneyworld... that often gets overlooked. While we don't do it EVERY time we go, we do like to do it every couple of visits.
HI guitarob!!! I haven't seen you around. Are you going to get back to the Poly this year? With all the activity on the thread, it looks like we'll hit our mark not too much longer. So I wanted to say thanks again for this thread. Your descriptions and pictures are the BEST out of any resort thread (in my opinion of course) and I always refer back to it to show my friends and family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stasieki View Post
Anyways... can someone give me insight on the Kids Club? Would the younger crowd (age 4-7) enjoy it? We really don't have any adult only nights planned so would they rather be in the parks with us or at the Kids Club?

Thanks!
My kids have done the Neverland club a few times. They have also done the Dens club at WL. The Dens club was fine but they definitely prefer the Neverland club. They ASK to go to this and now we build in two nights per vacation to go there (if we are staying at the Poly). It gives me and DH a nice evening on our own and the kids love it. They have dinner, video games, movies, dress up and they get to hang out with other kids. We use the 15% coupon that comes in the package but it is still pretty pricey - but sooo worth it. One of the few items at Disney I rate a 10!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreacherMouse View Post
As I have said, we will be first timers at the Poly Jan 27 to Feb 1. I will have an ECV due to chronic knee issues. Any recommendations on that? Also, my DS14 will be with me and we are already going to The Spirit luau and have a ressie for Kona Cafe breakfast. Any other "musts" at The Poly?
My son is a teenage boy all the way but he is a Disney fanatic like myself so he would be the type that would be open to about anything there.

By the way we have GV and I already requested Tokelau (sp?) and 3rd floor.

Did I say I am really excited????
The Poly has a marina that you can rent boats and such. They also have bikes for rental. And they have volleyballs if you want to have a game on the beach - looking at Cindy's castle!!! Just use your keycard to 'check out' any sporting equipment.

If your family would like a day or half day at the pool, I highly recommend the cabanas!!!

And what is so cool about being on the monorail is that you can quickly get to GF or Contemporary to eat, shop, or hang out.

Have fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocelyn6 View Post
Ok - I have to know - is the Tonga Toast really all that people are saying it is and about the Kona coffee - is it a blend or is it straight Kona??
Tonga Toast is served at Kona cafe but also at the quick serve Captain Cooks. It is a huge piece of bread filled with banana and fried and topped with cinnamon sugar. I think it is just ok. It's certainly worth trying if the description sounds good to you. But I prefer my mickey waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicki_c View Post
Hi Poly folks - haven't stopped by lately!

Did anyone see/post the info Tikiman has on his update about new TV stations being added at the Poly (I'm guessing other deluxes will get some changes too). Now I don't go to Disney to watch TV, but this still makes me very happy. We usually go back to the room early-ish and I have always hated the TV choices.

He says these are being added, starting tomorrow, 1/13:
Fox News

· Bravo

· AMC

· National Geographic

· TBS &TNT

· Travel Channel

· WE tv

· Syfy

· Discovery

· Bio

· HGTV

· TLC

· History

· Food Network

· TV Land

And if someone already posted this, I apologize, but I didn't have time to read through the thread!
This is GREAT news! While we don't go to Disney to watch TV either, we do like to enjoy some different shows. I get a bit tired of all the Disney pre-teen shows I hope they put more channels in the other resorts as well!

6/14 YC 10/13 Poly 5/13 Poly & BC 10/12 Poly 7/12 CSR/BWV 5/12 CBR 3/12 DL 10/11 Poly 5/11 VWL 9/10 Poly 3/10 Dolphin 4/09 Poly 4/08 BC 5/07 Poly/Cruise/ASMo 7/06 AKL 7/00 POR 7/98 DisIns 3/98 Off 7/96 POR +
Tinkerbellie16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:49 PM   #3140
Tinkerbellie16
Certified Disneyaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OooDeLally View Post

The past few years we have stayed at the Poly and loved it. We wanted to venture out this year, and we really excited to stay at the Contemporary. Minimalist decor, lots of time to chat due to the long walk to the monorail and MK (we stayed in the Garden Wing), awkard sliding doors in the bathroom which do not lock and give minimal privacy, a nice television you can only see from one of the beds. And if you like going to boring work conferences, you will love the non-Disney feeling of this resort!

But seriously, I didn't expect to miss the Poly so much. The staff are friendlier, the atmosphere was more exciting, the walk to GCH was prettier. And the GCH has so much to offer (beautiful scenery, pool-view/castle-view/fireworks view, all of which you can enjoy without having to eat at a restaurant), which you don't realize until you compare it to the Grand Canyon Snooze-course. At CR, I felt like I was staying in a Holiday Inn. The only plus for CR was two sinks in the bathroom, but using the two meant having zero counterspace, so we threw a towel over one of them to hold our toiletries. We did make it to Ohana for dinner one night, and it was so hard to leave the Poly that evening!

I completely understand what you mean! We stayed at VWL last May and I really missed the Poly. The only thing I liked better at VWL was the 1 bdr villa option. So I convinced my DH to go back to Poly last October. He loves the Poly too and the kids do too! I am upset they filled in the east pool though. We enjoyed the deep end. We still managed to enjoy it though

6/14 YC 10/13 Poly 5/13 Poly & BC 10/12 Poly 7/12 CSR/BWV 5/12 CBR 3/12 DL 10/11 Poly 5/11 VWL 9/10 Poly 3/10 Dolphin 4/09 Poly 4/08 BC 5/07 Poly/Cruise/ASMo 7/06 AKL 7/00 POR 7/98 DisIns 3/98 Off 7/96 POR +
Tinkerbellie16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 03:12 PM   #3141
tinkermommyof3
DIS Veteran

Hello Poly lovers, we will be back third Summer in a row. Family majority rules in favor of Tonga Toast, Dole Whips, Volcano Pool, etc. 7/4 to 7/14. First stay in the month of July for us.
tinkermommyof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 03:32 PM   #3142
cricketgirl
I've waited my whole life for this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreacherMouse View Post
As I have said, we will be first timers at the Poly Jan 27 to Feb 1. I will have an ECV due to chronic knee issues. Any recommendations on that? Also, my DS14 will be with me and we are already going to The Spirit luau and have a ressie for Kona Cafe breakfast. Any other "musts" at The Poly?
My son is a teenage boy all the way but he is a Disney fanatic like myself so he would be the type that would be open to about anything there.

By the way we have GV and I already requested Tokelau (sp?) and 3rd floor.

Did I say I am really excited????
We'll be there the exact same days. Hopw cool. Never stayed at the Poly before so I have no advice, but enjoy!!
Lori
Old 01-13-2012, 04:08 PM   #3143
Carrie772
Resolve to Recycle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OooDeLally View Post

At CR, I felt like I was staying in a Holiday Inn. The only plus for CR was two sinks in the bathroom, but using the two meant having zero counterspace, so we threw a towel over one of them to hold our toiletries. We did make it to Ohana for dinner one night, and it was so hard to leave the Poly that evening!

Ooo, I am so sorry to hear that your trip wasn't what you hoped it would be! I hope I don't offend any POR transplants, but I will say this to encourage others:

We stayed at POR hoping to save a buck. Esp. since my DH had taken me on a surprise trip to Poly in Feb. alone BTW for my 40th. Anyway, POR was not for us, and half way through the trip, we decided to try to move to Poly. As it turned out, there was a room available, so we went!

If you find your self unhappy with your accomodations, please go to the front desk and see if there's a chance to move somewhere else. This is your vacation. It should be what you want it to be! (within reason of course!)

Anyway, we are venturing out this year as well, and hopefully we will find it more to our liking. My little boy has dreamed of staying there so we are giving him his chance...if only for 3 nights before we head over to the Poly!
'76 CR; '83 offsite; '94 CBR; '02 Residence Inn; '04 CSR; '05 Poly; '05 ASSp/WL; '06 Poly; '07 POR; '07 WL; '08 CSR; '09 Poly; '10 WL; '11 Poly; '11 POR/Poly; '12 CR/Poly; '13 Poly; '14 Quickie at BC;
Carrie772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:32 PM   #3144
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Could someone list off some child activities they have at the Poly??? My DDs are excited about the hidden Mickey hunt at WL...does the Poly have similar activities???

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:00 PM   #3145
i_heart_the_mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
Could someone list off some child activities they have at the Poly??? My DDs are excited about the hidden Mickey hunt at WL...does the Poly have similar activities???
Off the top of my head, there are hula lessons, making leis, and the poolside games. I'm sure there are more, but.....

We've never been short on things to do though!
Feb 09-FW Cabins, Jan 10-Poly,Nov 10-Poly & MVMCP, Sep 11-BC-CL & MNSSHP, Jan 12-Poly-CL, Jun 12-YC-CL/GF-RPC/BWI-CL/CR-CL, Aug 12-Poly-TPV-CL, Jan 13-Poly/YC-CL, Apr 13-YC-CL, Aug 13-Poly-CL/BC-CL/AKV, Dec 13 -VGF/YC Mar 14 - BC Next Up.... AKV/Poly CL/BWI Split!

i_heart_the_mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:03 PM   #3146
i_heart_the_mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Also, just checked and page 1 has a fairly recent Activities Sheet posted. Check it out! Tons of stuff for the kiddos
Feb 09-FW Cabins, Jan 10-Poly,Nov 10-Poly & MVMCP, Sep 11-BC-CL & MNSSHP, Jan 12-Poly-CL, Jun 12-YC-CL/GF-RPC/BWI-CL/CR-CL, Aug 12-Poly-TPV-CL, Jan 13-Poly/YC-CL, Apr 13-YC-CL, Aug 13-Poly-CL/BC-CL/AKV, Dec 13 -VGF/YC Mar 14 - BC Next Up.... AKV/Poly CL/BWI Split!

Old 01-13-2012, 08:05 PM   #3147
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Also, just checked and page 1 has a fairly recent Activities Sheet posted. Check it out! Tons of stuff for the kiddos
Oh, ok!!! I skimmed page 1 but went right over the activities sheet, duh... looks like you have 1 day till your trip!!! Have fun!!!

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:37 PM   #3148
i_heart_the_mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Oh, ok!!! I skimmed page 1 but went right over the activities sheet, duh... looks like you have 1 day till your trip!!! Have fun!!!

No problem, there is a ton of (great!) info there to go through

Thanks for the well wishes

Old 01-13-2012, 09:00 PM   #3149
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
No problem, there is a ton of (great!) info there to go through

Thanks for the well wishes
Have a great time...we still have 8 months!! Enjoy and hope you have a great room and great weather!
Old 01-13-2012, 10:01 PM   #3150
i_heart_the_mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyjinx3 View Post
Have a great time...we still have 8 months!! Enjoy and hope you have a great room and great weather!
Thanks! Hope the next 8 months fly by for you

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: