Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2011, 07:27 PM   #301
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezysMom View Post
Let's meet for lunch soon....your situation sounds just like mine and I think we are married to the same guy I am the party planner, the birthday celebrator, I make a big celebration out of everything for everyone else. When it is me....I get my favorite restraunt or something. It sucks.

BUT.....I think if you want to do something special for your Birthday at Disney then plan it and do it. It may be delayed but hey you are celebrating your 40th year!! What have you always wanted to do at Disney but never did??? That is my plan, even though my 40th b-day is 5 months after our trip

I work Tues and Weds...call me at MFM and we will have lunch
oh geez, you guys sound like me! I am also the planner for the whole family. And then when it's something for me it's usually not anything out of the ordinary. It's not that I like to be the center of attention, but just once ... This fall is our 10th wedding anniversary. When we got married DH insisted on only immediate family at our wedding (it was his second marriage). He said that it should be more about the marriage and not the wedding ... when we make it to 10 years we would have a big party. I agreed. It's now coming up on 10 years and guess what, no big party. Admittedly both of us are not big blowout with tons of guests party type people. Instead I said "let's go on a trip". We talked about it a few times, I did some research & planning, but whenever I tried to talk to him about it he seemed less than enthusiastic (he's up to his elbows in renovating our house). In desperation, I think , finally I said that our fall trip to WDW could be for our anniversary. Thing is our kids and my sister & her DH will also be coming with us (very romantic ... ) It also happpens to be my DH's birthday when we are there (so that will take the focus away from our anniversary) I have planned a few extra's for this trip to make it more special because of our anniversary, but I too feel gypped. This was supposed to be a big deal for us (because we kept our wedding small) and it doesn't really seem any different than one of our normal trips (except for a cabana rental & Illuminations cruise).

Of course the big present is finally getting to meet & hang out with BreezysMom!

me DH DD22 DD11 DD9 Finnegan
1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 Magic Mediterranean
maiapapaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:36 PM   #302
dizneechic
DIS Veteran

Aww you guys are lucky to work together and to have someone to share your passions and vents with IRL.

As for the birthday quandary, I'm in a similar boat. I have a recluse of a DH that at least *gets* my love of Disney (heck I was a CM when we met, he better understand!! ), but he still doesn't share the love. I'm also turning the big 40 in Sept and have planned SO many phantom trips around my b-day, all of which were shot down. After the huge spending we did in Disney last year (24 total days) I understand why he wants a year off, so we booked an offsite for Jan 2012 and I just have to be happy with that. It doesn't help your situation much, but know I feel the pain.

That all said, if it were my 40th there, even if it were later than my actual b-day I would make sure to have a night away from the rest of the family with just dh (or even dh and the kids - couldn't imagine having my bday w/ out them ) and do something totally silly and completely out of the norm. If it were me I would schedule the tomorrowland dessert party (wishes) for whomever I felt like celebrating with and snag prime viewing, over indulge, and just relax and take in the whole moment. I'm someone who likes to be noticed/recognized so would prob all be in matching shirts noting the celebration (ie shirt along the lines of "DisneyWorld is 40 and so am I") so everyone would know what I was celebrating, and then I would stay in the parks until close. Ideally I would have a few hours by myself with my camera on the trip as well and just shoot thousands of funky pictures playing with assorted effects but that's just me. The "normal me" would be home with the kids by 8 and all of us would be asleep by 9-10.

Just because everyone is there with you kinda of stealing your moment, doesn't mean you HAVE to clue them into everything you have planned. Try to figure out and arrange a little something that no one else knows about that you won't have to share and enjoy it!! It's OK not to spend the whole vacation with everyone, you deserve your moment!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-26-2011, 07:38 PM   #303
BreezysMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crostorfer View Post
I keep saying "They all float down here" in a whispery, throaty voice and shuddering....
OK seriously, did people not get the memo about no talk about snakes and the BW POOL on the Poly board. Now, I may never even venture to the Boardwalk after that post

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiapapaya View Post
oh geez, you guys sound like me! I am also the planner for the whole family. And then when it's something for me it's usually not anything out of the ordinary. It's not that I like to be the center of attention, but just once ... This fall is our 10th wedding anniversary. When we got married DH insisted on only immediate family at our wedding (it was his second marriage). He said that it should be more about the marriage and not the wedding ... when we make it to 10 years we would have a big party. I agreed. It's now coming up on 10 years and guess what, no big party. Admittedly both of us are not big blowout with tons of guests party type people. Instead I said "let's go on a trip". We talked about it a few times, I did some research & planning, but whenever I tried to talk to him about it he seemed less than enthusiastic (he's up to his elbows in renovating our house). In desperation, I think , finally I said that our fall trip to WDW could be for our anniversary. Thing is our kids and my sister & her DH will also be coming with us (very romantic ... ) It also happpens to be my DH's birthday when we are there (so that will take the focus away from our anniversary) I have planned a few extra's for this trip to make it more special because of our anniversary, but I too feel gypped. This was supposed to be a big deal for us (because we kept our wedding small) and it doesn't really seem any different than one of our normal trips (except for a cabana rental & Illuminations cruise).

Of course the big present is finally getting to meet & hang out with BreezysMom!
I can't wait!! I am seriously wondering why the stores don't have the Halloween stuff out yet so I can start buying things for the trip. It seems like every year the minute 4th of July is over the Halloween crap goes out Not this year Oh well, soon enough! Our "Disney box" is already started which is exciting!! One month until back to school and then the trip will be here before you know it! It has been a looooooong two years since visits!

Shari and I will take the kiddos and you and Mike can do something romantic OR, we an leave the kiddos with the hubbys and us girls can have a 10th anniversary bachlorette party I like that idea better!

I am thinking of making the countdown calender this weekend
12/09 Poly CL
12/11 Poly CL
8/12 Poly C
10/14 GF

BreezysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:46 PM   #304
1971DBday
Keep moving forward!

Quote:

Okay...Now I'm feeling left out!!!!! A wise man told me recently that I need to communicate to my DH - just let him know. So I did, but I still can't decide WHAT I want to do!!!

Okay...anniversary....romantic...alone time....can you coordinate some alone time somewhere on the beach, watch fireworks, have a few cocktails and just talk???? My DH and I don't get a lot of time for that right now, but I miss that most of all. There is nothing like looking back at the 10 years you had and the next 10, 20, 30+ years that you've had.

DH and I were given a honeymoon to WDW for our wedding gift by his Dad and Stepmom. I did not know at that time what a special place in my heart that WDW would create for me....my only trip as a child was with my Grandmother that I wish I could have back...memories....

See if you can find a secluded place on the beach, watch the fireworks and just talk. (Okay...sounding sappy).

You've made me think about what makes me happy a little bit more...thanks.
'79 1st trip (child); '95 Honeymoon WL; '98 GF; '02 Poly; Nov/Dec '06 CSR; Nov/Dec '07 CBR; Nov/Dec '08 CSR; Nov/Dec2009Poly; Nov/Dec2010Poly; Oct '11 Poly; June '12 Poly; June '13 BC; Planning June 2014 AKV as First Time DVC Owners

1971DBday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:52 PM   #305
1971DBday
Keep moving forward!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezysMom View Post
OR, we an leave the kiddos with the hubbys and us girls can have a 10th anniversary bachlorette party I like that idea better!
Okay - never mind....go with this idea!!!!
'79 1st trip (child); '95 Honeymoon WL; '98 GF; '02 Poly; Nov/Dec '06 CSR; Nov/Dec '07 CBR; Nov/Dec '08 CSR; Nov/Dec2009Poly; Nov/Dec2010Poly; Oct '11 Poly; June '12 Poly; June '13 BC; Planning June 2014 AKV as First Time DVC Owners

Old 07-26-2011, 08:04 PM   #306
1971DBday
Keep moving forward!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneechic View Post
Aww you guys are lucky to work together and to have someone to share your passions and vents with IRL.

As for the birthday quandary, I'm in a similar boat. I have a recluse of a DH that at least *gets* my love of Disney (heck I was a CM when we met, he better understand!! ), but he still doesn't share the love. I'm also turning the big 40 in Sept and have planned SO many phantom trips around my b-day, all of which were shot down. After the huge spending we did in Disney last year (24 total days) I understand why he wants a year off, so we booked an offsite for Jan 2012 and I just have to be happy with that. It doesn't help your situation much, but know I feel the pain.

That all said, if it were my 40th there, even if it were later than my actual b-day I would make sure to have a night away from the rest of the family with just dh (or even dh and the kids - couldn't imagine having my bday w/ out them ) and do something totally silly and completely out of the norm. If it were me I would schedule the tomorrowland dessert party (wishes) for whomever I felt like celebrating with and snag prime viewing, over indulge, and just relax and take in the whole moment. I'm someone who likes to be noticed/recognized so would prob all be in matching shirts noting the celebration (ie shirt along the lines of "DisneyWorld is 40 and so am I") so everyone would know what I was celebrating, and then I would stay in the parks until close. Ideally I would have a few hours by myself with my camera on the trip as well and just shoot thousands of funky pictures playing with assorted effects but that's just me. The "normal me" would be home with the kids by 8 and all of us would be asleep by 9-10.

Just because everyone is there with you kinda of stealing your moment, doesn't mean you HAVE to clue them into everything you have planned. Try to figure out and arrange a little something that no one else knows about that you won't have to share and enjoy it!! It's OK not to spend the whole vacation with everyone, you deserve your moment!
Okay...#1 now I feel like I need to do something to celebrate everyone turning 40, but can't make it to WDW celebration (to bad they don't allow cocktails in MK to toast).

#2 I may have to make the t-shirt!!!! Anyone with t-shirt designs, please send.

#3 I am liking with where you are going with the desert party...maybe some type of party with the theme turning 40 with WDW. How I'm not quite sure...

Last year I surprised my family, not once, but twice behaving outside of my norm (thank GOD no one has video proof). I liked behaving like a kid and WDW brings it out (again BreezyMom....shhhhh...don't let anyone know I have a soft side.)

I need something that will let the crazy out...my DH and I have not been to the Luau since our honeymoon.....(insert evil laugh ). On our honeymoon we stayed at the WL (1995), went to the Luau, drank A LOT (thank you attentive waitress), Mai Tai after Mai Tai later we tried to get back to the WL. We first took the monorail (newbies) that got us to the TTC, then we took a bus and ended up back at the Poly. After that we were frustrated so we WALKED back to the WL!!!!! Don't ask me how long, how, if we ran into any alligators....we are alive to tell the story. All I know is that it took us a year or two to recall all the "scenes" from that night and still made it for a 6 a.m. tee time. (For anyone looking for wonderful video footage of me trying to feed a baby alligator a hot dog on the 9th hole...PM me....oh yes I did....dropped the camera and everything running off in the wrong direction! (For those of you ready to judge me...I was 23 at the time...) TMI!!!!

Old 07-26-2011, 08:17 PM   #307
Missoutandabout
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I'm reading this and totally experiencing deja vu! We didn't have a big, blowout wedding either; just 25 of our closest family and friends. It's our 10th anniversary this autumn as well. The hubster didn't want to even talk about what we might want to do. Because we never go anywhere without the kidlet, I thought... what would she like more, spending a week on a beach in Mexico / Hawaii or spending a week at Disney? No brainer when considering a 4 year old, eh? He was initially skeptical but I managed to convince him that it'd be more fun for all involved if she's having more fun. Then, I up and invited my parents to join us for the first 3 days. Very romantic, as you said!
Missoutandabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:30 PM   #308
jacksmom
DIS Veteran

Hi! We are checking into the Poly tommorrow! We have a cabanna reserved for Thurs and are wondering where do we go? Lifeguard? Any info appreciated!
Old 07-26-2011, 08:31 PM   #309
Grace&Carolinesmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971DBday View Post
Okay...long day at the office!!! I was in a meeting this morning in which 95% (probably more) had NOTHING to do with my job!!!!! So I pulled up the DISboard on my phone and read....Breezy shhhhh.....

Anyway I need to come to my sensible DISfriends who are Poly lovers for some unbiased, HONEST advice....

Okay...I am turning the big 40 this year and in fear that we weren't going to book another vacation to WDW I told DH that I would like to go to WDW for my 40th. The next thing I know we are also celebrating my DISbil 50th and my DNiece's 21st (insert: omg you are tooooo young to have a 21 year old niece ). Anyway, now my bday is coming up in August and feeling a little gipped....

DH had a party for his 30th and 40th [30th told me he preferred not to, but I did it and 40th decided let's have something with immediate family(one more side note DH did NOTHING for my 30th and I was pissed!!!)]. Now it is my turn and even though I'm thrilled to be going to WDW and THRILLED that everyone agreed to switch back to the Poly (at my request) instead of the WL....I still feel kind of gipped....this is just (okay never "just") another family vacation to WDW.

My DH wasn't planning anything...zip...nada...when I asked if anything was going on. I pressed a little and he said my Mom was planning something..Okay....Now he feels guilty...I don't know what I want...and he is getting frustrated with me. We aren't going until October and personally that is really where my heart is ...Disney. However, in the real world going in August won't work with the kids needing to return to school the day after my bday.

HELP!!!!! I don't know if I want a party, I don't know if I want to go out for dinner....I just want to go to WDW and relax by the pool and have a cocktail, but that is not possible Yes. I am whining.

This party is going to be for everyone but me (which I am not good about giving anything for just me - it's always about everyone else i.e. part of the reason I asked to go to WDW).

Few additional things that I have thought about: I don't want to go to the spa (waste of time for a shorter than usual trip); cabana would be used by everyone in my party; gift card to spend until my heart's content on Food and Wine (but I will end up paying for everyone else); MNSSHP - okay thinking of the kids and DH instead of me; STOP WHINING and turn 40 with dignity!!!!

DIS friends - flame away!!!!!
How about seeing if you can have your husband beg his way into a V&A ressie for just the 2 of you for a special dinner while at WDW?? If that isn't possible, make ressies at bluezoo and schedule a limo service from Poly to/from restaurant. You can dress up girly, feel all grown up sitting at the bar with a fancy cocktail, and then have an incredible evening ordering the tasting menu with wine flight.(insert drool)

OR

Take a car service to Universal and get tickets for Horror Night(the opposite of MNSSHP) and it is really only for adults anyway. You can have a screaming good Bday celebration

I feel for ya! My Dh is not a planner either. I do ALL the party/vacation/get together planning here. He thinks he contributes by getting his beer and cigars ready I gave up on him for "special occasions" long long ago. He is not romantic and I accept that as well. Luckily, his sense of humor makes up for his shortcomings

CR--May 2006 Poly--April 2007 Poly--April 2009
YC-- April 2010 CSR--Oct 2011 GF--July 2014

Grace&Carolinesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:47 PM   #310
1971DBday
Keep moving forward!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace&Carolinesmom View Post
How about seeing if you can have your husband beg his way into a V&A ressie for just the 2 of you for a special dinner while at WDW?? If that isn't possible, make ressies at bluezoo and schedule a limo service from Poly to/from restaurant. You can dress up girly, feel all grown up sitting at the bar with a fancy cocktail, and then have an incredible evening ordering the tasting menu with wine flight.(insert drool)

OR

Take a car service to Universal and get tickets for Horror Night(the opposite of MNSSHP) and it is really only for adults anyway. You can have a screaming good Bday celebration

I feel for ya! My Dh is not a planner either. I do ALL the party/vacation/get together planning here. He thinks he contributes by getting his beer and cigars ready I gave up on him for "special occasions" long long ago. He is not romantic and I accept that as well. Luckily, his sense of humor makes up for his shortcomings
Okay...this is where you are going to hate me, but I appreciate your ideas.

V&A, even though I'm sure I would LOVE, I dress us for work and don't want to on vacation and my DH would LOVE Universal Horror Nights, but again him (plus he does not like to leave WDW).

I think we are all feeling the pain of non-planning DH's....Poly men would you like to speak up????

Thanks Grace&Carolinesmom for caring and sharing!!!

Old 07-26-2011, 08:52 PM   #311
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

Well I would be remiss if I didn't mention that we do have a late dinner planned at Cali Grill (late enough for fireworks) & my sis & BIL are going to take the girls to the Crystal Palace & MK for the night (she says it even includes a sleepover too if we want - so not completely devoid of romance!). It just would have been nice to have a trip to ourselves (aside from our annual WDW adventure).

me DH DD22 DD11 DD9 Finnegan
1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 Magic Mediterranean
maiapapaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:54 PM   #312
Grace&Carolinesmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971DBday View Post
Okay...this is where you are going to hate me, but I appreciate your ideas.

V&A, even though I'm sure I would LOVE, I dress us for work and don't want to on vacation and my DH would LOVE Universal Horror Nights, but again him (plus he does not like to leave WDW).

I think we are all feeling the pain of non-planning DH's....Poly men would you like to speak up????

Thanks Grace&Carolinesmom for caring and sharing!!!
Too funny that is why WE have never gone to V&A. Hate dressing up esp on vacation. That is why we went to bluezoo for our special date night last trip. Food is absolutely AMAZING and I just had on nice khaki capris and a fun top and DH had on reg khakis and a polo. not painful dressing at all DH and I both agreed it was the best meal we ever had. They even gave us the menus as keepsakes.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:54 PM   #313
TinkPirateMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I think you deserve 2 trips! WDW is for you and the family. There are a ton of all-inclusive resorts in the Caribbean that offer free vow renewal packages. That would be a really romantic way to celebrate your 10th anniversary!

TinkPirateMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:01 PM   #314
Grace&Carolinesmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksmom View Post
Hi! We are checking into the Poly tommorrow! We have a cabanna reserved for Thurs and are wondering where do we go? Lifeguard? Any info appreciated!
I don't know the answer but I am TOTALLY jealous. Have a fab=u=lous trip ....and don't forget to have a few Pina Colavas while lounging in your cabana. Cheers.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:13 PM   #315
FosterA
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksmom View Post
Yeah, I have no idea either but I'm sooooo jealous too. Have a great trip and post back here when you get back with a review of the cabana. I have soooo many questions about the Poly and WDW in general, so I want to hear it all!
FosterA is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: