Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > WISH Journals
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2011, 08:55 PM   #31
fitgirl36
DIS Veteran

Good job on running in the rain! As far as intervals go, I've tried those from time to time. I do run outside on our lake trail with my DH and DD in her jogger, but I only run outside in near perfect weather conditions! and in NE Ohio that is about 4 days out of the summer! Seriously though, I made a promise with some coworkers that we are doing a 5k the second Saturday in April this coming year. BTW what is 6x 1:1.5s? 6 times doing something? I've seen the number colon thing before but don't understand. Keep up the good work!
fitgirl36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 03:43 PM   #32
Terapin
DIS Veteran

The intervals are expressed that way (or at least I do).

So 5 minutes of running and 1 minute of walking is 5:1

Just finished a good run. My furthest (farthest?) yet! Ran/walked 6.5k (4 miles). Ran most of it. Took a waterfront trail that I don't know and got a bit lost. Then realized I had a huge hike up a steep hill! I walked for that part. Disappointed with my pace (15.5 minutes per mile) but I suppose with the big walking up big hills that was pretty good. My running portions were around a 13 minute mile on average.

Today it was wet and rainy and cold. Going to have a bath soon and warm up. Had good gear on today (my new RUnning Room winter pants), a good technical running shirt (long-sleeved) that says, "Running: cheaper than therapy , and my running jacket. Stayed warm enough at the beginning and was able to stay fairly dry and cool later on.

2014 Princess GSC! BLT/VGF/DCL stay
2014 Determined to do Dopey! BWV stay

Terapin is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-07-2011, 04:31 PM   #33
Terapin
DIS Veteran

Aw, shoot.

I hurt my knee on a run a few weeks back and it isn't getting better. It also isn't getting worse. It is pretty localized to the inner aspect of my knee, below the kneecap. No other symptoms. No weakness. I do have some crepitus under the kneecap, but that was pre-existing and bilateral. Only my right knee hurts. I think it is just a pulled ligament. It started with a slight twist avoiding a puddle in new arch supports - I moved over to my proper orthotics. It doesn't particularly hurt when I run, just afterwards. It hurts about 75% of the time, even in bed. Sometimes there is no pain at all. Some swelling in the joint as the joint feels "full" when I bent it a lot.

I made an appointment with a sports medicine doc at a local clinic to get it diagnosed (don't want to make any mistakes and hurt myself worse, or avoid running if I don't have to). Unfortunately, it isn't until next Thursday. I am on the waiting list for a sooner appointment.

I should run tonight - not sure if I should or not. I really don't want to lose momentum and I need the exercise. Also, walking is no better. Have to think about it some more. Maybe just a quick run. I've rested in since Sunday afternoon already (that was a long run for me).

What do you think?

Old 12-07-2011, 08:32 PM   #34
Terapin
DIS Veteran

Well, I did go out for a short and slow run. About 5 minutes in I realized that this pain started when I put inserts into my shoes. I took them out and just ran in my shoes. Felt better. Just ran 1.5 miles at a slow pace. Now, my knee is feeling a bit better. I think that because I was running without orthotics that my muscles are working differently with the orthotics and it is throwing off my gait and causing my knee to be working differently. I think that it is just plain femoral patella syndrome exacerbated by the orthotics and some hill stuff I was working on.

Will see how the knee feels tomorrow. It is still not liking any twisting motion.

Will keep my sports MD visit next week and bring my shoes and orthotics for his opinion. Feeling a bit shy about visiting a sports medicine clinic overweight!

I am in the middle of my cycle and feeling so BLAH. Totally retaining water (i.e. a 4 lb weight gain in 3 days!) and not liking the scale. Been working on my diet and so not seeing that reflected in the scale. Oh well. Thus is the cyclical life of a woman!

Today:
Breakfast: bagel with tomato and cheese (was at work, best choice)
Lunch: salmon sandwich (no mayo). 100 ml orange juice
Snack: edamame, raw mushrooms with 1-2 tbsp blue cheese dressing
Dinner: stir-fried veggies, small amount steak, 1 cup basmati rice

1 tea, 2 coffees, 1 decaf

Old 12-08-2011, 08:02 AM   #35
Terapin
DIS Veteran

This morning my pain was 90% reduced. Just a little going down the stairs. I guess it really was the orthotics.

Glad I can run better again!

Will go to my appointment to get advice about how to proceed (strengthen muscles and use orthotics, get new orthotics, run without orthotics, what to do about femoral patella syndrome).

Have a great day!

Old 12-10-2011, 01:14 PM   #36
Terapin
DIS Veteran

Feeling frustrate: my weight is back up. Sigh. Feeling like I have been doing ok with my diet and exercise. Not perfect, but enough that I shouldn't be gaining.

Was up early at a birth so will run a short thing tonight. Tomorrow I have a long 6.5k run planned with my sister (that is long for me at this point). We are signing up for a 10k in mid-May. Yay!

My knee continues to get better. Still aware of it, but it is waaaaaaay better.

Breakfast was a bagel with cheese and tomato and an orange juice. I was at a birth and the Dad ran out to Timmie's to feed us that that was the reason I had my third bagel and cheese of the week.

For lunch I made a nice salad with romaine, blue cheese, grapes, hemp hearts and natural olives with an olive oil and apple cider vinegar dressing. A fair amount of fat but I am hungry.

Anyways, trying not to feel discouraged. Despite the weight loss stall, all my clothes are too big, including my winter jacket. Even my running shoes feel lose! Liking this.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:11 AM   #37
Terapin
DIS Veteran

Well, holding steady despite the festive (eating) season. Only managed two runs last week but one was 6.2k and the other was 3.5 k so not too bad. Will go today and that will be my third run in 8 days rather than my planned 7.

Had a setback with my knee. Went for my consult and was told it was just minor femur-patellar syndrome (or whatever it is called). However my joint was a bit swollen so he sent me for xray and ultrasound. I get those results on Thursday, formally. But the ultrasound tech was nice and disclosed that I have fluid in the joint (enough that he felt that was causing my pain) and arthritis (at 39!). The tech told me off the record and I'm going to wait for a formal diagnosis, but I was a bit bummed. The tech said all my ligaments looked good though so YAY!

Anyhow this news, although a downer, is more motivation for losing weight. I'm going to continue running if at all possible. The sports doc said that he would likely recommend physio to strengthen my muscles around my knee, new orthotics, and some help to get my kneecap tracking better.

Today is a busy day: some postpartum visits of some of my mamas who birthed this weekend, cleaning up my livingroom diningroom after Christmas decorating got started yesterday, a run and a shower, wrapping some last minute gifts, and then a meeting with a executive director of a charity that works in Mali that I am beginning to get involved with. AFTER that, we have a small holiday party with my two business partners and our kids, with exchanging gifts and dinner.

Anyway, Happy Monday!

Old 12-31-2011, 09:16 AM   #38
Terapin
DIS Veteran

Kinda of treading water these days. It has been icy slick outside so I haven't been running too much this December. I think only 8 days so far this month. That makes me feel disappointed, but what can I do? Our house is too small for a treadmill (3 kids, 1600 sq feet). Maybe I need to join a gym for the winter.

Have stayed steady in weight over the holidays! Hoping to kick it into full gear in January. I have to lose another 15 lbs by May to make my goal.

Have a 5 k tomorrow in Oshawa. Race came with a free running jacket from the Running Room (yay!)

Heading to WDW on Monday and doing the 5k on race weekend.

So a couple good runs planned for the next week. Also a lot of eating at WDW while I am away, so will have to make good choices. Did I mention that we have a Chef's Table reservation at V and A on Monday? YUM!

That's my update. Thanks for the support!

Old 01-11-2012, 01:19 PM   #39
Terapin
DIS Veteran

The Jan 1st 5k was BRUTAL. It was cold, windy and HAILING! It was so miserable running by the lake, with the hail pinging my face. I had a hail-rash! But, I persevered and finished. Albeit with a lousy time (44 mins I think). I was soaked to the core and the temperature was just above freezing. Got home and hopped in the tub to warm up. Then we were off to our airport hotel for a night's stay before our big family trip.

We had 13 of us in a 2 bdrm and a 1 bdrm at Bay Lake Towers on our DVC points. Great trip, loved our rooms, and had a busy, busy week.

My sister and I ran the 5k on the 6th and it went ok. I was very slow with all the dodging of folks and starting out towards the back. I never got into a groove. I finished in 46 minutes and was disappointed. I found it hard to really run with all those folks, but it was a fun run, so now I know what to expect when that phrase is used.

My upcoming goals are a 10k in May, and the Princess 1/2 in 2013. I really want to work on my speed and endurance.

Today I hired a personal trainer for in-house twice a week training sessions to kick up my weight loss a notch and to get fitter. I need some core strength and muscle strength. I'd like to see my overall fitness improve greatly, and my running to improve greatly.

On the plus side, my knee is A-OK. Even with running 2x 5k races in 6 days I was fine. I did a ton of walking in WDW and my knee was fine. Some residual fluid in the joint and some twinges, but nothing serious.

That is my update. Happy new year!

Old 01-12-2012, 12:23 PM   #40
Terapin
DIS Veteran

Had my first personal trainer workout today: it was good! I exceeded her expectations (maybe she thought a big gal would be less fit) and managed to do heavier weights, with more reps, and more repeats than she originally had me down for, so that was a good boost to my ego!

Weighed in. Blah. Measured in. Blah. Oh well, there is only room to shrink from here.

Planning on seeing her twice a week and run 2-3 times a week. Her fees are reasonable but they do add up so I want to make the most of this experience. My DH is very supportive, but did raise an eyebrow at the price. I'm going to make him proud! I pointed out that it was much cheaper than the Dr. Bernstein diet centre with better results so I won him over on that! I told him I'd get all hot for him: he liked that even better! LOL

Now I am just a week bit stiff. I think my arms will hurt the most tomorrow. Feeling really pleased to be getting a full body workout to balance out the running.

Have been watching running technique videos and am really going to work on it. Took a few test runs around the house and it felt good and light. It is freezing rain today, so am not motivated to go outside. Had a latte and watched a video instead, comfortable that my full hour workout session will be good enough for today.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:28 AM   #41
Terapin
DIS Veteran

I am so discouraged. I have been seeing the personal trainer 2x a week for an hour where she kicks my butt. Great overall toning, cardio, the works. I am sore the next day. I've been running short distances 2x week due to the weather. This month I have run about 25k so far. I'm really watching what I am eating. Small portions, watching calories, making good choices. No junk, no pop, few processed foods.

My scale isn't budging. I am so frustrated! I am putting so much effort into losing weight and it isn't working. I haven't lost anything since November and have in fact gone up a few pounds because of Christmas. I am sitting at about 247. How can I be working so hard and still so freaking overweight?!?!? How do other people lose big weight?!? Other than cutting my calories down to 1200 or 1500 I don't think there are very many more changes I can make that would be sustainable.

I was tracking my food and keeping right on target. I try to eat small frequent meals, I watch my sugar, carbs and fat.

What is the point of all this effort?!? And to think that someone may look at me as an overweight person and judge me to be lazy or stupid about food choices seems so stupid. I am working so hard at this, I really want to make it work, I want to run, I want to be smaller, but it seems to be out of my reach. I don't want to accept the fact that I am overweight and unathlethic but clearly I am not meant to be anything else.

I am Sisyphus pushing a big freaking rock that is me. So upset. Excuse the rant.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:17 PM   #42
Terapin
DIS Veteran

Happy to report that my weight is going down! Yay! Only 1/2 pound away from my all-time low. Unfortunately that was in November, but I am back on the way doooooooooowwwwwwwwnnnnn.

Finding it hard to run more than 2x week and my distances are short. Feeling tired. Wondering if it is the cold? I also got sick this week. Running in the snow just isn't all that great and getting out in the cold after dark is hard! With 3 kids running in the evening makes the most sense but I am reworking that.

Still meeting with the personal trainer 2x a week. Going really well.

Overall making progress. Feeling like the running has to come up a bunch to meet my goals but there is still time. 4 months until the 10k. 11.5 months until the half marathon. We decided to do the Marathon Weekend 1/2 because I realized that training in Ontario in January and February was silly, compared to training in the much milder November and December. Soon we can book our room!

Anyways, that is me. Feeling good and strong. Working on the weight coming down more. I hate dieting though, so I am accepting this slow progress as the price to pay for eating curries and yummy stuff (in moderation).

Old 02-05-2012, 04:58 PM   #43
Terapin
DIS Veteran

After that post I got a good bug. Haven't run much in the last week, but did do a good weights workout. Back in the saddle (shoes?) today with some fun exercise: we got a trampoline. We got a Springfree trampoline and the kids and I are having a blast.

Got out today and after 10 minutes of hardcore exercising I was huffing and puffing. Went online to figure the calorie count but was shocked that it was half of running. The way I am doing the trampoline it was way more work!!! I was following an aerobics for the trampoline workout, not just jumping, so maybe that was the difference. Anyhow, it was a fun way to exercise.

The last few runs I felt really tired. I think that it was because I was fighting off a cold. However the feeling of those two runs have stuck with me and I'm not keen to repeat feeling that unhappy about my runs. I know it is a state of mind and I've got to just get out there. Might go out tonight - if not, then for sure tomorrow.

Taking a week long break from running has been kinda good. I enjoyed the break, and I think it will help me re-invest in my running program, which was getting a bit stale. So, I'm going to be seriously committing to a 10k program for my May 10k. My trainer was also away for the week, so it was a break overall, and allowed me to rest and get over my cold/flu.

Weight is stable. Liking that. Going to re-invest in that too.

That's my update!

Old 02-14-2012, 08:30 AM   #44
Terapin
DIS Veteran

Good morning!

I was really enjoying my sessions with my personal trainer, but last night she Facebook'd me to say that she has other job opportunities she is pursuing, so just like that, we were done. I was upset and mad. I wished that she had given me a program to wind down with, and perhaps made enquiries among other trainers to see if there was another one who would take me on. Instead, I just feel dumped. And to do it through Facebook! Not even a call. I had trusted her and felt really good at the work we were doing. We really had fun and seemed to mesh in personality.

Not sure if I will replace her or replicate the workouts for a bit. At least my wallet will be heavier.

Running is kinda stagnant - the weather is really cold and I just don't seem to get out. I'm running once a week only. It's not enough. Starting March 1st I am going to start the trainer for the 10k.

Weight loss is pretty stagnant, too. Sitting at 244. Could be worse. Not gaining at least.

So feeling kinda demotivated in these last weeks. It's also mid-cycle for me - that doesn't help! (PMS).

Will continue on, I swear.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:59 PM   #45
Terapin
DIS Veteran

Hi guys!

Had a nice run in the freezing, but sunny, cold today. Ran 2.75km to a Starbucks and met a friend. Had a skinny latte and a cookie, and ran home the other 2.75km. Made some good time. Pleased with myself. Ramping up the running in preparation for starting 10k training next weekend.

Only ran about 23 km in January. Over the next month I would like to double that. Still such a newbie with such big dreams!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: