Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > WISH Journals
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 07:41 PM   #376
BernardandMissBianca
I just love a dancing banana!
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terapin View Post
Thank you! I love it too!

I want to get a medal rack for my current year's medals, and then shadowbox them for each year as I go on. I like the one from Sparkle Skirts that says, "Neener, neener, neener". LOL
LOL I think I need that rack too!!!

I got new shoes this week too, my goodness world of difference. You don't think you put on as many miles as you do, until you get new shoes! DS16 got new trainers 2 weeks ago too. We figured out he logged 900 miles on his last pair. They held up surprisingly well, but they were way overdue to be replaced.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:31 AM   #377
Terapin
DIS Veteran

Good morning!

I'm not loving running these days. I think I could have given myself some more time mentally to jump back into the game. The other thing is that after my eleven days off after the GOofy, I jumped back into HM training into week 12 of 18. I thought the miles would be low enough to feel like a breeze after Goofy, but I am resenting them. Live and learn. As my next HM is in one month I have to stick to it and remember that tapering is just 3 weeks away!

This is my race schedule so far:

March - Chilly HM
April - 8k Harry's Spring Run off (in a hilly park - hard route I am told)
May - 10k (a repeat of the first 10k I did last year! Sporting Life)
June - Niagara Women's HM
July - ??
August - Mud Hero 6k
September - DDD 10k and HM

I'd like to fill July with some 5ks and I am not sure about what October will bring.

This week I ran Sunday (12k), Monday (sprint of 2.5k), Wednesday (7.5k of hills), and last night (a quick 2.5k in the deep snow - slippy and slidey). I got in two 30 minute core sessions too.

Sunday is 18k. I should run tomorrow according the the schedule but I am not sure. I had some work done on my IT band and it is still quite sore. I'm debating still holding back and giving a day of rest or going for it. My two running coaches for the clinic I am pacing keep telling me I am still recovering and to not push it. My right knee is at it again, so maybe I should cross train tomorrow. Might do hot yoga tonight... The DH is not so happy with how many nights I have been out running so I am not sure...

I am actively working on my weight but it isn't coming down. I know I say that all the time but I have ramped up my efforts again. Will hang in there for a week or two and then readjust what I am doing.

I am rocking the super healthy smoothies:
-spirulina
-maca
-Vega One protein powder
-hemp hearts
-chia seeds
-banana
-berries
-spinach and/or kale
-almond, rice or coconut milk
-3-6-9 oil

I'm feeling the intestinal love of my new improved smoothies. And by love I mean, um, activity. They say that new stuff, especially the maca, can cause intestinal activity. I'm just glad I run at the back of the pack...

I'm in for a busy month at work. Lots of pregnant mamas and I am not off call for several weeks. Let's hope they birth smoothly and during daylight hours! It is the all-nighters that throw me for a loop in my running schedule.

Anyhow, that is me. I any readers are well, and hang in there: winter is moving along!

2014 Princess GSC! BLT/VGF/DCL stay
2014 Determined to do Dopey! BWV stay

Terapin is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-01-2013, 10:12 AM   #378
dragitoff
DIS Veteran

I hear you on the HM training so soon after the marathon! I didn't run Goofy, but I did do an 8 mile run 2 weeks after the full and have already starting pushing at half-marathon paces. I feel good (no pain, no soreness), but I'm finding it harder to run that pace than when I was training for the full. Tomorrow's 10 mile at sub 9 minute pace avg. will be a challenge, but I'm up for it! You know you are too! You've come so far in really such a short time, you can do this. I've used your story to a few of my students at church. I've got about 8 students (I'm a youth pastor in case you forgot) that have taken up running. Most of them are college age so it's a little tougher to start up, but there is a group of them that has challenged themselves to go from couch to the Disney half-marathon in a year. I said, yeah, I know a lady who started running in her late 30's and did Goofy in just 18 month! They're all like, "NO WAY!"
dragitoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:08 PM   #379
Terapin
DIS Veteran

Aww thanks dragitoff! That made my day.

I had a GREAT run on Sunday! I was dreading, just dreading it. If I wasn't a pacer with the group I would have stayed in bed. But I take my commitments seriously and so dragged myself there, going through the motions.

As usual, the first 3k sucked. I felt like lead, but was amused by the usual progression of hurt from feet to thighs that I experience early in a run, and was amazed, once again, that my body stopped fighting and adapted, and my legs warmed up from the feet on up. It was cold (-10c) but the roads were mostly clear, it was sunny, and no wind. After warming up with 10:1s, I decided I wanted to the the run easy as my knees have remained sore, and I didn't want to push it. Goofy was only 3 weeks ago! I stepped down the 8:3s (my watch was already on the 10:1s and 2 minutes seemed to come to quick).

To back up a sec, I was running with a running friend who really struggled with his last long run. This was his first HM clinic. He walked a lot last week and I could tell it affected his self-esteem. I suggested trying intervals less than 10:1s but he initially balked. I discussed the theories about shorter intervals (prevents repetitive stress injuries, sometimes you go faster, leaves more in the tank, etc).

So anyways, we both stepped down to 8:3s after the other runners were getting ahead of us - no competition to worry about anymore. After a few of the new intervals I pointed out that we weren't further behind than before. In fact, we were creeping up towards the rest of the pack. And then passed them. We leapfrogged a bit as they didn't walk as long as we did, but eventually we kept ahead of them, finishing a few minutes sooner.

Then one joined us, saying, "You guys are flying today!" and we mentioned that we were both feeling really good and strong, and the longer walk breaks meant the 8 minutes of running were naturally faster. I did not look at my watch for pace, I just did what felt right.

We finished our 18k in about 2:29 - about an 8:15 pace which is great for our LSD. And both felt really good! My actually hugged as it was terrific to finish a long run feeling so good. My running friend even posted on FB how much he enjoyed the run, and usually he complains about hating running all the time.

A lot of the members of our club were really curious about the intervals and asked a ton of questions as it was obvious that my struggling running friend was on cloud nine.

Anyway, that in the run-down (ha ha) of my last run. I did 20 miles/32 kilometers this week. Should do about the same this week or a little more. Two weeks until taper for the CHilly HM.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:03 PM   #380
Terapin
DIS Veteran

So I joined a FB running weight loss challenge and I lost a whopping .4 pounds this week. Wahoo.

I have started to fill up my racing calendar:

Jan - Half Marathon and Full Marathon (done!)
March - Half Marathon
April - 8k and a 10k
May - 10k
June - Half Marathon
July ??
August - 6k Mud Run and a 10k
September - Half Marathon

I would like to register for 3 more races, and I think I'd like to do at least 2 5k. My goal is 13 in '13.

Old 02-09-2013, 02:45 PM   #381
mathrockskallen
Earning My Ears

Over the course of the past week I've read your entire journal...what an amazing story you have to tell. I was in tears reading your Goofy report - so happy for you, especially given the conditions of this year's race. DH and I are definitely in for the full next year...on the fence about Goofy!
Thanks again for your story - so inspiring!
mathrockskallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:05 PM   #382
mpeanut
Mouseketeer

I have spent most of my free minutes today reading your journal. I am so impressed with what you have accomplished. Congratulations!
I have been hoping to jump start my running again by starting C25k again after a year of laziness and zero energy. I hope to work my way up to a HM in the next year. Thank you for being an inspiration!
Old 02-12-2013, 07:20 PM   #383
Terapin
DIS Veteran

Thanks you guys! I really appreciate the comments and kind words.

I didn't run much last week other than the 18k. Work was very busy and then the snow storm socked us in. It felt too hard to get out in the snow after missing some nights' sleep.

I got up and did 18k this Sunday again. It was hard though, a real slog right from the beginning. The roads were wet for 2/3 of it, and slushy icy messy for the other 1/3. So hard to really get a good grip on and just run. My quads were SCREAMING after the run, and my ankles and feet weren't that impressed with me either. Even my lateral back muscles hurt from slipping and sliding. I rolled out my quads focussing on the very sore right one. By MOnday it felt much better but the neglected left quad still hurt. Today I am better.

Wednesday: 4k tempo
Thursday: 8k steady
Saturday: I can't remember
Sunday: 20k.

I HAVE to get some cross training in. I just feel lazy. If I am not running that day I just feel like doing NOTHING. I have some personal stuff going on that I know is bringing my mood down. I will cross train this week I pledge!

Eating well for the most part. Eating superbly 80% of the time, and ok 20% of the time. I have eaten too much 80% cocoa extra dark chocolate this week. Trying to reign overall calories in. Weight is pretty much the same. I suck at losing weight. I just like to eat too much. And with feeling lazy and blah and the weather, well, I'm not winning that weight contest. LOL

Sometimes I think I should just be content where I am and stop fighting. Then I smarten up and know I need to lose some more weight to be healthier. I think that more activity will really help.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:45 PM   #384
mpeanut
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terapin View Post
Thanks you guys! I really appreciate the comments and kind words.

I didn't run much last week other than the 18k. Work was very busy and then the snow storm socked us in. It felt too hard to get out in the snow after missing some nights' sleep.

I got up and did 18k this Sunday again. It was hard though, a real slog right from the beginning. The roads were wet for 2/3 of it, and slushy icy messy for the other 1/3. So hard to really get a good grip on and just run. My quads were SCREAMING after the run, and my ankles and feet weren't that impressed with me either. Even my lateral back muscles hurt from slipping and sliding. I rolled out my quads focussing on the very sore right one. By MOnday it felt much better but the neglected left quad still hurt. Today I am better.

Wednesday: 4k tempo
Thursday: 8k steady
Saturday: I can't remember
Sunday: 20k.

I HAVE to get some cross training in. I just feel lazy. If I am not running that day I just feel like doing NOTHING. I have some personal stuff going on that I know is bringing my mood down. I will cross train this week I pledge!

Eating well for the most part. Eating superbly 80% of the time, and ok 20% of the time. I have eaten too much 80% cocoa extra dark chocolate this week. Trying to reign overall calories in. Weight is pretty much the same. I suck at losing weight. I just like to eat too much. And with feeling lazy and blah and the weather, well, I'm not winning that weight contest. LOL

Sometimes I think I should just be content where I am and stop fighting. Then I smarten up and know I need to lose some more weight to be healthier. I think that more activity will really help.
Hang in there - you are an athlete and doing such an amazing job with your running and now motivating others with your leading of the new runners group. I understand how the weather and other issues can get you in a funk, but you'll bounce back. Hopefully the weather will brighten up in your area and that long run on Sunday will give you a fresh start
Old 02-23-2013, 07:15 PM   #385
Terapin
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the help with motivation!

Did ok on this week's runs. Still no cross training. But I swear I will incorporate some. Managed to run 13k Sunday, 5k Wednesday, and 3.5k today. Not much mileage but I am tapering for my HM next weekend. I have gotten my longer runs in but missed many of the shorter mid-week runs. I am worried that I will tank the HM. Will still show up and do it, but I worry my time will suck.

I have decided to re-love running by pulling back my distances and give myself a chance to enjoy shorter, more frequent runs. Since training for Goofy and then right into this HM training, I realized that running hasn't been fun since about last summer. Doing the HM October, November, then Goofy, and then this HM 8 weeks after Goofy has meant I've had lots of long runs over the months and just pushed myself to go up in the mileage, only allowing it to drop for tapering and a week of post-race recovery. Pair that with winter running and it has just lots its joy right now. I'm going to work on that.

My plan is to get back to a workout every day, with one rest day. Running 3-4 times a week, from 4-10k. Back to easier distances. Then work up to my next half at the beginning of June, and hopefully for a PR.

Anyhow, that is the plan.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:30 AM   #386
Terapin
DIS Veteran

I did a great run on Sunday: 6.4k. Ran it well, and it was pretty fun again!

Today is another 6k I think, and then a short run Friday, before laying off for Sunday's race.

Today I will do some strength training, core and balance work.

My weight was up last week, to 218 one horrible day (it didn't stay there but wow I hated seeing that number). It was a good wake-up call to get back on track and ratchet down the eating, and ramp up the exercise. I'm down to 215 with careful tracking on My Fitness Pal. I'm still shocked how fast I gained weight. This time in January I was sitting around 211. I managed to put on 5-6 pounds in 3 weeks! That is awful! How is that even possible without gorging or bingeing which I did *not* do?

In any case, I am back on track and want to see that 206 again. Eating really well, very balanced, not too low fat, not too low carb, with lots of protein. Everyday I am seeing the scale move down incrementally (like 0.2 pounds). I'm also trying to drink more water.

Anyhow, starting to think about the race more seriously. I am on-call until 11pm the night before so Friday I will lay out my race gear. Weather is forecasted to be -5 and overcast, but no snow or rain so that is ok. That is 23F.

Hope you all have a great day!

Old 03-04-2013, 07:22 AM   #387
Terapin
DIS Veteran

I am proud to report that I have completed half marathon number 4!

This race was the Chilly Half Marathon in Burlington, Ontario. The weather was nice: some sun, little wind, the roads were dry, and the temp was sitting around -6c. The course was two out and backs in two different directions, forming a loop. It stayed along Lakeshore Drive on Lake Ontario, with mansions sheltering us from the wind of the shore. It was a good sized race: about 3000 participants in the half. Not too big, but not too small.

I was running with a couple of friends from the Running Room, and nearly all of our clinic was there. SO fantastic to have so many people for support and encouragement, and friendship!

My running partner C and I decided to do 8:3 intervals as that had worked so well in training. 'I' joined us, but H stuck to her 10:1s. I was running really well, and wanted to get a sub 2:45 finish. My running portions were consistently 7:15 (11:30mm) until kilometer 17. My walking portions were at 10:00/km (16mm). I would have been close to 2:45, and really close to a PR (1:47:56) I worked through a few issues, and was down to the last 4 intervals when my left ankle started to hurt.

At 40 and overweight I often experience discomfort or pain when I run but I can usually walk it out or carry on and expect it to disappear within the kilometer. I push through pain and carry-on.

Not this time. It hurt so significantly when I ran. Walking was strangely ok. My legs started to cramp as well - like super bad. Like full-on complete muscle spasms in my calves, quads AND hamstrings. I can run through that, but not the ankle pain.

So I walked the last 3k after repeatedly trying to get started running over the 17th kilometer but unable to do so due to the pain being immediate.

I finished at 2:58:10. Not thrilled with that, but I will take the finish!

I am RICEing the ankle. I think today that it is soft tissue. Today it is worse with rest. I think it is ligament between my foot and lower leg near the tibia. I can barely flex my foot and doing so causes intense bruise-y pain. I went downstairs for a coffee this morning and really landed hard on each step: no pain! So weight-bearing is no problem. No bruising or swelling. I have called the sports med place I go to so hopefully I can get seen and have it diagnosed.

Here are some pics! The first one is me with my friend H who trained so well and completed her first half this day! The second is me after the finished. My tights are up on the side that I injured because the med tent put ice on it for me after the race. The third is the so-so medal. Disney has spoiled me for medals. I like the ribbon on this one, but the medal itself is blah. The awards medals were really nice but I'm not currently capable of that!

Old 03-05-2013, 08:07 AM   #388
Terapin
DIS Veteran

Good morning!

I got an appt for Friday for my ankle. Still no pain on weight bearing but lots to the touch of the specific area, and when I dorsiflex my left foot. I think it is soft tissue of some sort? Slightly swollen, no bruising.

Trying to figure out what to do with myself. I shouldn't run until I figure out what is going on, but I want to run. I suppose I should do some cross training today and some weights (got one session in last week!).

Other than this, I am doing well. Still some muscle pain and stiffness in my quads from Sunday.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:18 AM   #389
dragitoff
DIS Veteran

This is what sucks about being a runner. You can't run when in pain, but it pains you to not run. DW and I were just talking about this the other day. Don't get down (which is easy to say, hard to do when you can't run). Just give it the rest and recovery that is needed. Hopefully you'll get good news from the doc and be good to go soon enough.
dragitoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:08 AM   #390
Terapin
DIS Veteran

Good morning!

I actually cancelled the appointment as my ankle feels 100% better. I think it was just an irritated bit of fascia or tendon or something. Going for my first run since Sunday today: just an easy 5.

I am super pleased that my weight is really coming down. I am sitting at 210! I am seriously committed to being in the 100 club for my birthday in May. Honestly, what I am doing is just eating less. Really watching my portions, not being afraid of being hungry sometimes, and really watching what I eat in restaurants. I have lunch with friends at least once per week, often twice, as my schedule allows. I don't socialize a lot in the evening, so I see my friends mostly during the day as many of them are self-employed or work irregular hours.

I am doing some cross training but not enough. My work load has been crazy but should be significantly better this next month.

And tomorrow it should be 10c out! Yay for sun and spring. Maybe a bike ride would be a good idea.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: