Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > WISH Journals
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2011, 01:48 PM   #16
Terapin
DIS Veteran

Well, rather than making progress, I am holding steady. The family had a gastro illness that kept me from running for over a week. Work kept me from running for a few days as well. Today I ran for the first time in 2 weeks. I went 2.2 miles and did ok. Glad to be back.

In the meantime I have been doing some other sporty things: horseback riding and target shooting with my Dad. He is a gun collector and we went to a shooting range. Gosh that 9mm was scary! I preferred the 22 caliber and it was actually fun and a bit of an upper body workout!

My weight is great: 248. So down a total of 22 pounds since July 1st. While sick I tried to be pretty good, and even though I wasn't running I tried to watch my daily calories. 1 more pound and my BMI is 35! My short term goal was a BMI of 34 so only 8 more pounds to got for that! I wanted to lose 40 pounds by 40 years of age (next May) so that seems totally doable. My ultimate goal is 199#, or a BMI of 29. I just feel that that is so far away that it seems practically impossible. Will keep hammering away though.

I'm heading out shortly for lunch with a friend. We're going for Thai food and I already know I am going to have a golden veggie curry on coconut rice, so it's salad for dinner!!! Breakfast was a yogurt, an apple, two coffees and some cheese crackers (just a small kids bowl). Dinner will be some kind of meat (a roast I think), rice (because my daughter is addicted to rice) and some veggies. The weather is dreary so comfort food is good!

2014 Princess GSC! BLT/VGF/DCL stay
2014 Determined to do Dopey! BWV stay

Terapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:49 PM   #17
Terapin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkernj View Post
Good for you!! Keep up the good work and you'll be running that half marathon in no time!

I just started running yesterday (I chuckle as I type that for some reason). I've been reading other people's journals for the last few days for inspiration. I'm going to do the wine/dine 5k next year, then maybe the wine dine half in 2013. Big goal for someone who just started yesterday, but if it gets me to disney, I'll die trying!
Thank you - how is it going?

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-26-2011, 03:16 PM   #18
dragitoff
DIS Veteran

Don't know how I missed your journal before, but wanted to congratulate you on your success so far! Keep it up and you'll hit all your long-term goals and will have to set new ones!
dragitoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:05 PM   #19
Terapin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragitoff View Post
Don't know how I missed your journal before, but wanted to congratulate you on your success so far! Keep it up and you'll hit all your long-term goals and will have to set new ones!
Thanks! I appreciate the post.

Old 10-29-2011, 09:28 AM   #20
Desiree
BL II - Purple Team
LSU Fan.. Geaux Tigers!
I melt when I hear him talk
Eats food one item at a time and in order

Wow thats a great loss since July! Keep up the good work! You're efforts are paying off!

Desiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:29 PM   #21
Terapin
DIS Veteran

Hi!

I managed to run my second 5k last Sunday! I finished at my goal of 45 minutes - 45.05 to be exact! The first part of the course was difficult as it was moderately uphill and around unfamiliar streets, but the second half was way better as I could envision where the finish line was spatially and the course was mostly downhill from there. I heard an experienced runner call it "net uphill".

I did a fair amount of walking, but my time was saved by a fast first lap. I had planned to go slower, but got swept along with the running crowd, almost all (or ALL) of whom were going faster than me. In fact, I think there were power walkers who beat me to the finish!

I didn't have anyone with me to share the joy: I think that was not something I'd choose to do again. Afterwards I felt so great and accomplished, and had to share on Facebook and over texts. Not really the same. I sat in my car afterwards and rested, but to tell you the truth I was a bit lonely.

My weight has been pretty stable. I'm up a couple of pounds, but it has been fluctuating here and there. I am planning on running tonight and have dialled down my eating with the hopes of seeing those numbers go down some more. I'm not worried, this is as much about health and fitness as weight loss, and sometimes you just want to take a break from all the hard work and eat a bag (or two) of Halloween chips! Overall I feel fantastic!

Anyways, that is my update.

Old 11-04-2011, 02:27 PM   #22
Desiree
BL II - Purple Team
LSU Fan.. Geaux Tigers!

Wow fantastic job on that 5K! You are doing so great! And you're right, the weight will start falling again soon.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:27 AM   #23
Terapin
DIS Veteran

Well, the weight is pretty stable. Down only one pound briefly, then up one pound. Going to try some HIT intervals today to ramp it up again. Feeling great, liking the positive feedback from friends and associates.

Had a nice chat with two of the docs I work with who are both runners. I didn't know! We chatted about running and it was nice to find camaraderie there - sometimes OBs and Midwives find it hard to agree on some subjects!

I have decided to set the bar sky-high: 2013 Princess Half. There. I said it. I made my sister agree to go with me. Will book our room via DVC in February. I can't believe I am committing to this.

My plan is to run 2 more 5k this winter, then gear up for an 8k in the spring, and a 10k in the summer. Then after the 10k I will really train for the 1/2. Sound reasonable? It gives me 14 months to train and lose more weight. I'd like to be down 40 more pounds by race time. That would put me almost near my goal weight.

I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.

Old 11-19-2011, 09:09 PM   #24
Terapin
DIS Veteran

I went for my first interval run tonight.

I ran for 30 seconds as fast as I could and walked briskly for 1.5 minutes x 8 cycles. I expected to be more tired out muscularly - I felt limited by how fast I could actually move - like I couldn't coordinate running any faster if that makes sense. However, I did hit my 85% max of heart rate (or thereabouts).

I did find that my Garmin 305 told me that I burned 25% more calories for the same distance over the same time but with a more even running pace. So hopefully those bursts of speed will help me start losing again.

Feeling good now. A little more sore in my typically sore spots, but feeling good.

I think I will try to incorporate one of this HIIT runs a week, with a long slow run in there, and an easy run.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:39 AM   #25
Desiree
BL II - Purple Team
LSU Fan.. Geaux Tigers!

Sounds like a great plan. I finally busted thru my plateau last week after a month of no loss. Sure feels good to have some downward momentum again!

Old 11-25-2011, 08:18 PM   #26
Terapin
DIS Veteran

Had a good week. Have completed 8/10 goal runs this month. I'm running about 4-5 miles a week. I'd like to set some goals of increasing my mileage by 1/4 mile a week to build up to double my mileage over the next few months.

This week I have done a nice pace run, some good intervals, and a 5k run at just over my goal pace for my next run. Listen to me! I'm just trying to mix it up and increase my speed and mileage. I'm only running about a 13 minute mile, and averaging 14.5m/m with my walk breaks.

5 weeks until my next race: a 5k. 6 weeks until my 5k in Disney!

One very nice thing this week was I went clothes shopping and fit into a size 18!! This was awesome. It was just a titch too snug, but it looked way better than the baggy size 20.

I've been doing ok with the foods I am putting into my mouth. Today was a coffee and a large grapefruit for breakfast, with a small juice and some tamari almonds for a snack. Lunch was a small plain burger and a small fries with a diet pop (NOT good I know, but I was out and I chose the best I could given I didn't want a fast-food salad). Snack was a tea and 2 small cookies and half a cup of orange juice. Dinner is baked fish, stir-fried okra, stir-fried mediterranean veggies, a small portion of baked sweet potato fries. Not the worst. Tomorrow I will be at home so I can skip convenience foods.

Anyways, headed for the bath: these cooler days I love to run, then cool down and then have a warm tub. Then dinner!

Old 11-28-2011, 12:19 PM   #27
fitgirl36
DIS Veteran

Hi! I stumbled upon your journal, it's very inspiring and great job on the running! I like to run (ok trot) and have done one 5k in my life (pre-baby about 2-1/2 years ago.) I'm back treadmilling trying to run a 5k without stopping and then do a race in the spring. Good luck in your journey!
fitgirl36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:52 PM   #28
Terapin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitgirl36 View Post
Hi! I stumbled upon your journal, it's very inspiring and great job on the running! I like to run (ok trot) and have done one 5k in my life (pre-baby about 2-1/2 years ago.) I'm back treadmilling trying to run a 5k without stopping and then do a race in the spring. Good luck in your journey!
Thanks!

I decided that running a whole 5k without taking walking breaks was not a goal of mine right now as I believe that those walking breaks are key to me being uninjured as a heavy runner. Also, my time seems to suffer when I don't take those breaks. Those breaks enable me to rev up again and run faster. My goal is to improve my time by working up to 10:1s again (I think). I plan to do the 1/2 marathon in 10:1s (I think).

I also have a good hill in my usual circuit to help me work on speed and endurance, and is a good measure of my progress (it is positioned about 5 minutes into my run and I have almost made it to the top without decreasing my speed. Gosh it feels good to stop at the top!)

Have you thought about working on intervals with walking breaks, or running outside where you can run some natural hills? I don't have a treadmill so I have done all of my running outside, for better or worse.

Thanks for reading!

Today I am back down to 247#. Really hoping to keep moving downward. I bought an app for my iPhone to track food, calories, basic nutrition, weight and exercise. Hoping it will help me do better!

Old 11-29-2011, 09:55 AM   #29
Terapin
DIS Veteran

It is cold and rainy here in Southern Ontario. Not very inspiring.

But you know what is inspiring? I am down again! 246 this morning.

I should have run yesterday, but I didn't. I should have run this morning but it was pouring. So tonight, even if it is pouring, out I go.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:32 PM   #30
Terapin
DIS Veteran

Had a good day after all!

Finished a report that was on my plate. Chased the rainy day away with lunch with my mom and some shopping. Had a big chinese buffet lunch (chose just a teensy bit of fried rice, and chose the other 90% of my plate as vegetables and a wee bit of meat). Added two tablespoons of oil into my food journal on my iphone (not kidding - chinese food is oily. Think I underestimated?). Had a small plate of desserts and a coffee. Had a very, very light dinner of just fruit.

Just don't feel hungry after my run (I did go - in the pouring rain! ). But I suppose I should eat something before bed, huh?

Had a good run of mostly just speed intervals. Ran 6x 1:1.5s as fast as I could, then ran a cool down of a nice 5 minute run a bit faster than my normal long runs. Came home feeling spent, even though I was only out 20 minutes. As I am new to this speedier stuff I am taking it really slow - my knee felt pretty good and I didn't want to hurt it. And did I mention it was pouring? Tomorrow I will try to go out for a nice long run, or at least more than 45 minutes.

Feeling good about my progress. I guess to some of you experienced runner this baby runner seems slow, and of poor endurance! I am working on it though and feel really good about how far I have come since starting in June.

(i am a runner) <giggle>

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: