Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > WISH Journals
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2012, 06:02 PM   #151
BernardandMissBianca
I just love a dancing banana!
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

You look fabulous!!!!!!!
Old 05-05-2012, 08:49 AM   #152
Terapin
DIS Veteran

Thank you! Feeling really good!

10k is next weekend: 8 days! Eek!

2014 Princess GSC! BLT/VGF/DCL stay
2014 Determined to do Dopey! BWV stay

Terapin is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-06-2012, 01:40 PM   #153
Terapin
DIS Veteran

Hi!

Yesterday I biked for an hour (15K) and today I ran 6.5k with a 1k warm up, 4.5k at 7:33/k and a 1 k cool down.

Keeping busy!

Yesterday I also did a couple of hours of gardening and my hamstrings and glutes are feeling all the bending over! Our lawn/yard is no longer the shame of the neighbourhood!

Heading for a nap now. Love naps on sunny warm days. Truly one of the pleasures in life.

Old 05-08-2012, 04:02 PM   #154
Terapin
DIS Veteran

Good afternoon!

Yesterday I did nothing because I went to an overnight spa-aaaaahhhhhh. It was awesome. Ate, lounged, was massaged, laughed a lot, and got silly.

This morning I did 20 minutes of cardio. Tonight I am meeting Coach and we are running with the marathon club of a local running store. Coach is super sore after doing a 44k trail run on Saturday and a full marathon on Sunday (um, I know. Who *does* that? AND it's part of his *training* as an ultramarathoner).) When I expressed concern that my coach was asking me to run with the marathoners, he assured me it would be fine as they had all run their first marathon on Sunday and would be limping and sore. Ergo: I could keep up this week! LOL! Then we will go out for dinner (my treat!) and discuss my race on Sunday.

I did my weigh in yesterday and I am down 5# to report that I am now at 225#. Losing 5 in one week is a bit much. I am not eating enough. Hoping to lose just 2-3 this week. Grand total lost: 45# since July 1st. Yay!

Old 05-09-2012, 09:33 AM   #155
BernardandMissBianca
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

congrats on your new number!!!

It must have felt so good keeping up with marathoners.
I was taking to DS15's teammate yesterday and we were talking about how much running is mental. He uses canes to walk but he still does the 100m race. Yesterday he shaved 13 seconds off his time and didn't run the last heat like usual. Not being in that last heat mentally boosted him and his time reflected that.

Keep up the good work!!
Old 05-13-2012, 12:36 PM   #156
Terapin
DIS Veteran

Ran my 10K race! Finished in 1:14 with a negative split!

Old 05-13-2012, 12:37 PM   #157
BernardandMissBianca
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

Way to go!!!!
Old 05-14-2012, 08:30 AM   #158
Terapin
DIS Veteran

Here are some photos:

The race went well. My coach has given me some good advice:

-only a very light breakfast (I had a banana and small coffee)
-to eat one gel 30 minutes before run
-drink only a little bit of water in the morning, then none
-carry no water (too heavy, won't need it for only 10k)
-run the first half of the 10k at a conservative speed, at a pace I could maintain, and to resist shooting out of the gate like everyone else would
-run the second half as a race and give it my all
-no walk breaks!
-no water on the course, unless just to wet my mouth but no swallowing

The course is mainly a downhill course, down Yonge Street. The first 7k were downhill on a slight incline with two small hills. Yonge Street is a huge landmark street, and in the very middle of the city. All the streetcars and cars were stopped for the race- very cool to be running down this street with no traffic.

At 4k I walked through the water station for about 20 seconds, and spit out my water.

I found km 5-6 hard. Was getting tired.

At 7k I stopped for a porta potty- I hate running with any sensation of having to pee and I felt like I was going to be need to be as comfortable as possible to finish the race strong. Spit out some more water at this water station.

8.5-9.5k was very, very hard. I was so tired. So DONE. I stopped to walk but became a bit panicked that that didn't even feel better!! I was nauseous and had bodily sensations of anxiety. I was seeing my time goal as possible, but close. I really had to talk myself down of the ledge. I started running again after about 20 seconds and could just see the finish line canopy.

I saw someone I knew, a former client, cheering people on and we connected glances and smiles. That was nice. Then about 200 meters from the finish I saw my coach (he had biked down for the race - about a 120km roundabout trip in the end!) and he looked at his watch. That was my cue to dash - and I gave it my all. I ran as fast as I could with my best attempt at form, and crossed the line. I stopped my watch and it said 1:14:23. I made my time!!!! I went over to where my coach was against the barrier and we punched fists and I showed him my time. Sweet! Except I felt like barfing.

My coach had predicted my time to almost the minute. He said I'd do 1:15. 1:19 was my time to beat, and 1:10 was my dream time.

I collected my medal and recovered. I met up with my sister about 20 minutes later. She finished about 5 minutes after me, but we don't know for sure because she lost her timing chip, and the timer overhead was from the first gun time, not our heat.

The sun came out and we meandered around, and walked to our car. We had parked it at the finish line earlier, which was such a good move.

Today my quads are a bit sore, and my shin spot is hurting, but other than that, I am good.

The coach said, "we have a lot of work to do, next goal race is Disney [half]. Get ready to work". Eek!

This race was hard - twice as far???!?!??? What am I thinking?

Old 05-14-2012, 12:47 PM   #159
BernardandMissBianca
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

Hmm, I wonder why he said no water. I can't do more than 5K without something to drink, I get so nauseous.

Great job on the time!! I'm glad you made your goal. You look great!
Old 05-14-2012, 01:22 PM   #160
dragitoff
DIS Veteran

Excellent job! That advice about not "shooting out the gate" is great advice regardless of the length of the race!
dragitoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:37 PM   #161
Terapin
DIS Veteran

The reason he said no water was:

-so I wouldn't have to pee (LOL)
-because water can make you cramp at race pace, especially at the end when I was really working hard
-because the water could throw off my gait and drinking while running could take my focus off of the race
-because I wouldn't get dehydrated in only a 10k race

In essence, because it wouldn't benefit me. I like water for comfort as I get a dry mouth, so I just swished it around and let it go.

I'm wondering what the nausea is rooted in? Physiologically running for 30-45 minutes shouldn't cause one to become dehydrated or *need* water? Maybe you could be better hydrated to begin with and forgo the water?

Coach told me to hydrate the day before, but keep low on the liquids and food the morning of. He seems to know his stuff, so I went with it, and did fine. He is pretty regimented himself about his own fuel, replacing salts during intense exercise, and hydration, so I trusted his assesment. It did work for me.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:38 PM   #162
Terapin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragitoff View Post
Excellent job! That advice about not "shooting out the gate" is great advice regardless of the length of the race!
Coach says he always advises to run the first half of a race conservatively, then go for it the second half. He says "You can always make up time, you can't make up energy".

I certainly passed a lot of people after the second half, most of whom seemed to have passed me in the first kilometer!

Old 05-14-2012, 05:01 PM   #163
BernardandMissBianca
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

I have definitely been hydrating more and the last 5K I was better. I agree that dry mouth is horrible! I wonder if it's because I breathe in through my mouth and out through my nose.

Definitely don't shoot out the gate. We tell DS15 this all the time. Don't run somebody else's race, only run your own.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:47 AM   #164
Terapin
DIS Veteran

Last night Coach and I went for a long hike to 'flush the legs'. We were hiking in the Seaton Trail and it was a good hike. There are lots of steep inclines on the side trails, and dry rocky riverbeds, so there is a lot of action for just a hike. Legs and knees were tired and sore afterwards. I feel pretty good this morning, except my quads. I don't usually get quad pain, but the 10k was a lot of downhill, so that required lots of quad work.

Went back to the sports MD re: shin pain. I have two tight calf muscles doing it. I had some acupuncture and am returning on Thursday for more. Hoping to really get this kicked.

Today is core and biking. This week will be light, then next week we start back up. My next goal race is the Half Marathon in January. Coach says we are starting 6 week cycles of ramping up the mileage and speed for one or two cycles, and then back down again for a cycle to allow healing and building, then ramping up again. I just follow the plan!

This week I didn't lose any weight :-( But I am again mid-cycle and feeling bloated, so I'm sure I'll see some loss next week.

We leave for our big road trip next week. Need to figure out how I am going to get in my big runs in strange towns and places! AND I lost my Garmin watch, which I will definitely need. Argh. I had to borrow a watch for the race.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:11 PM   #165
Terapin
DIS Veteran

Yesterday I biked for 60mins/13k.

Today I ran 5k at 7:23/km.

Chugging along, hoping for a loss in weight at next weigh in.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: