Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Theme Parks Community
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2011, 11:37 PM   #151
jaceraden
DIS Veteran

"I might jump off a guy named Cliff". Best line EVER.

Wolf family: You rock!
Old 09-02-2011, 11:38 AM   #152
Krisscot
Mouseketeer

Ok I may be really lame but when I go to all these videos it says content not made public by content owner. What am I doing wrong?
Krisscot is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-08-2011, 12:32 PM   #153
CaptainCook
Mouseketeer

For anyone looking to do one of these videos and specifically, planning to use iMovie to make it - I thought I would share what I found after putting together our latest vacation video last week (which - shameless plug - you can see here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNrQFbP_D20).

The problem with this video is that there is phantom audio showing up between about 2:00 and 2:30. This audio is not there when I watch in iMovie, where I assembled the video. Just when I export to DVD or YouTube. To make things extra weird, the audio is not from any part of my movie - it's from raw footage clips in my library that didn't even make it into the movie.

The phantom music is from an iMovie glitch. In iMovie you have the option to fast-forward your footage to either a pre-set speed (I believe they offer 150%, 200%, and 400%) or you can select your own speed. I usually selected my own speed to make the clip fit the timing of my music. And if you watch my movie you'll see that I used a LOT of fast-forwarding.

It's using these oddball speeds (like 183%) that result in the glitch. If I'd just stuck with the pre-set speeds, I would have been fine. (The only other time I have fast-forwarded in iMovie, I did a simple, pre-set 200% that worked just fine.)

I don't think there is anything I can do to fix this. I have tried stripping out all audio and adding it back in, but the phantom music just shows back up in a different spot. I may just have to learn to live with it.

Or... as someone on an iMovie forum offered when I was searching for a solution... bite the bullet, and buy Final Cut Pro!

Hope this helps someone else avoid the same aggravation!
CaptainCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 11:56 PM   #154
CVW
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCook View Post
For anyone looking to do one of these videos and specifically, planning to use iMovie to make it - I thought I would share what I found after putting together our latest vacation video last week (which - shameless plug - you can see here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNrQFbP_D20).

The problem with this video is that there is phantom audio showing up between about 2:00 and 2:30. This audio is not there when I watch in iMovie, where I assembled the video. Just when I export to DVD or YouTube. To make things extra weird, the audio is not from any part of my movie - it's from raw footage clips in my library that didn't even make it into the movie.

The phantom music is from an iMovie glitch. In iMovie you have the option to fast-forward your footage to either a pre-set speed (I believe they offer 150%, 200%, and 400%) or you can select your own speed. I usually selected my own speed to make the clip fit the timing of my music. And if you watch my movie you'll see that I used a LOT of fast-forwarding.

It's using these oddball speeds (like 183%) that result in the glitch. If I'd just stuck with the pre-set speeds, I would have been fine. (The only other time I have fast-forwarded in iMovie, I did a simple, pre-set 200% that worked just fine.)

I don't think there is anything I can do to fix this. I have tried stripping out all audio and adding it back in, but the phantom music just shows back up in a different spot. I may just have to learn to live with it.

Or... as someone on an iMovie forum offered when I was searching for a solution... bite the bullet, and buy Final Cut Pro!

First of all, nice video! You obviously have a great family to showcase!

IT'S NOT YOUR RETIMING THAT DID THIS.

Interestingly, I had the EXACT same thing happen on my second video (Wolfs Dance Branson). It was roughly at the two minute mark where bizarre audio from unused clips kept coming in, no matter how I tried to export it. (Like you, the problem didn't exist when it was playing in iMovie.) It was beyond frustrating. As you can imagine, I spent nearly a month editing this together thinking it was going great, only to find I couldn't get it out of iMovie. I made multiple calls to Apple Support, the Apple Store, and iMovie websites, and no one seemed to have a solution. I was about to give up.

Finally I tried something that worked...so tell me if it works for you. I duplicated the project, and shortened it down to only the minute or so where the audio went haywire. Then I exported only that minute, and voila, the glitchy audio was gone. From there, I made multiple duplicates of the original and split them roughly into quarters. (So the first movie was only the first minute, the second movie was only the second minute, etc.)

I then took those four exported (QuickTime) movies and brought them into the Events folder. I spliced them together as a new project. (So this final project was essentially just four movie clips...already edited earlier.) When I exported this project, it came out with no problem, and is the "Wolfs Dance Branson" linked in my sig.

I suppose it's worth a try for you. Needless to say, it was about two weeks after that when I ordered Final Cut.
CVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:48 AM   #155
CaptainCook
Mouseketeer

I will definitely give that a try! Thanks for the tip. Sorry to hear it happened to you too - I had a few nights at 2 a.m. where I was beyond frustrated. Darn iMovie!

I guess that also goes to show... don't believe everything you read on the internet... I guess the 'sources' citing the fast forwarded footage were not correct after all!

One question for you before I take a hack at this... did you export your shortened movie clips, then reassemble them, and then lay your final audio track over top (just the song, as I'm sure the clips contained all of the dialogue)? Or did the exported clips include all of the audio? I'm thinking it would be easier to avoid discontinuity if I added the audio back in at the end, but am curious to know which approach you took.

Good thing it's the weekend... I should have some time to play.

Again, thank you!
Old 09-09-2011, 10:24 AM   #156
CVW
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I will definitely give that a try! Thanks for the tip. Sorry to hear it happened to you too - I had a few nights at 2 a.m. where I was beyond frustrated. Darn iMovie!

I guess that also goes to show... don't believe everything you read on the internet... I guess the 'sources' citing the fast forwarded footage were not correct after all!

One question for you before I take a hack at this... did you export your shortened movie clips, then reassemble them, and then lay your final audio track over top (just the song, as I'm sure the clips contained all of the dialogue)? Or did the exported clips include all of the audio? I'm thinking it would be easier to avoid discontinuity if I added the audio back in at the end, but am curious to know which approach you took.

Good thing it's the weekend... I should have some time to play.

Again, thank you!
If it works, there shouldn't be any need to reapply the audio track. You'll be able to find the exact frame and it will flow seamlessly. In fact, you need to be sure to leave a few seconds of overlap to trim off of each movie segment.

(If you watch the Branson video you'll notice that I did a lot of fades--"ducking" on iMovie--just like you did. It would have been a big pain to redo that. Glad I didn't have to.)

Brute
Old 09-10-2011, 10:11 AM   #157
CaptainCook
Mouseketeer

OK, now I have my movie segments spliced apart and exported, but when they exported they saved as .MOV files and now iMovie won't recognize them when I try to bring them into the Events folder. Any ideas??
Old 09-10-2011, 10:47 AM   #158
Teresa Pitman
DIS Veteran

Just wanted to say, Captain Cook, that I LOVED your video!! LOVED it!

Teresa
Teresa Pitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 06:28 PM   #159
theduck619
DDC 188
I love that middle crease between the two straight sections
It's a secret passge to a man cave

Quote:

Great movie!!!

DisDad Member #188

We are home!- 10/4/14 Follow the adventure at:
http://nicelyfamilyadoptionadventure.blogspot.com
theduck619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:54 PM   #160
CVW
Mouseketeer

Quote:
OK, now I have my movie segments spliced apart and exported, but when they exported they saved as .MOV files and now iMovie won't recognize them when I try to bring them into the Events folder. Any ideas??
I am so sorry. I wrote a response a few weeks ago, but obviously never hit enter. I don't know why that happened to you, as it did not happen when I tried.

But first off, when you created the smaller clips, did it get rid of the extraneous audio? If it did, you should be halfway home.

There is this article on the Apple website that I found when I googled "iMovie codecs".

A codec is the actual language your files are created in. The .MOV is just a "container" that the file goes in. In other words, there are dozens of different kinds of .MOV files.

It's rather confusing...welcome to the world of video.

Ask someone on the Apple forums how to get them recognized, and they should know. (Sorry, but I don't use iMovie anymore.)

What I would do myself is to use MPEG StreamClip. It's a free download, and can convert your files to other formats. I'd probably just convert what you got to H.264...but I still don't understand why iMovie didn't do that for you to begin with.

Again, sorry for the delay.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:06 AM   #161
tinkerone
DIS Veteran

i just watched this.....it was seriously cool! AWESOME!!! you have a great family, thanks for sharing.
tinkerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:19 AM   #162
JStew50
Mouseketeer

check out my attempt at a Disney Vacation music video

I was so inspired by your family videos. I LOVED the idea of singing a song in different parts of Disney. I also loved the dancing. I stole....um....borrowed these ideas for my own Disney video. This was filmed during our Halloween 2011 visit. The song is only 3 minutes and 24 seconds so it was really hard to cut the footage down to that time limit. You just have to let go of great footage to make it fit. All I used was a Flip camera and imovie05.... yes version 05. I also have imovie 09 but I think it is easier to edit clips in '05. It goes to show that you can just work with the equipment you have and still come up with a good video. I hope to graduate to Final Cut Pro one day. I think I need to upgrade my imac first. I would love any feedback. thanks for watching it.

http://youtu.be/F_GfrnaoTu4
JStew50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:33 AM   #163
Teresa Pitman
DIS Veteran

JStew50, that was great! We were there over Halloween, too, but I think you guys had even more fun than we did! I tried to video the Headless Horseman but missed him completely, but you captured him. And I love the person's face on EE looking at the broken tracks, and the part where someone is dancing with Rafiki, and lots more. Well done!

Teresa
Teresa Pitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:54 PM   #164
tinkerone
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStew50 View Post
I was so inspired by your family videos. I LOVED the idea of singing a song in different parts of Disney. I also loved the dancing. I stole....um....borrowed these ideas for my own Disney video. This was filmed during our Halloween 2011 visit. The song is only 3 minutes and 24 seconds so it was really hard to cut the footage down to that time limit. You just have to let go of great footage to make it fit. All I used was a Flip camera and imovie05.... yes version 05. I also have imovie 09 but I think it is easier to edit clips in '05. It goes to show that you can just work with the equipment you have and still come up with a good video. I hope to graduate to Final Cut Pro one day. I think I need to upgrade my imac first. I would love any feedback. thanks for watching it.

http://youtu.be/F_GfrnaoTu4
yours is awesome as well. thanks for sharing!
tinkerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:22 AM   #165
JStew50
Mouseketeer

thanks for taking the time to watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa Pitman View Post
JStew50, that was great! We were there over Halloween, too, but I think you guys had even more fun than we did! I tried to video the Headless Horseman but missed him completely, but you captured him. And I love the person's face on EE looking at the broken tracks, and the part where someone is dancing with Rafiki, and lots more. Well done!

Teresa
Teresa, thanks for taking the time to watch it. The person on EE making the face is ME. We ended up riding it 3 times in a row because there was no line. It was hard to muster up the courage for more than once but I didn't want to chicken out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerone View Post
yours is awesome as well. thanks for sharing!
tinkerone, thanks for taking the time to watch it. It is appreciated. I takes so much time to put the video together that positive feedback really makes me feel great.
JStew50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: