Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2011, 01:09 PM   #91
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes View Post
You’d expect less from DisDad TRs? Useless off topic info from mine, really “cheesy” puns form Barry’s; seems to me that those are major qualifications for be a DisDad in the first place.
Well, I figured the puns were Barry's domain. None of the rest of us would ever stoop so low as to put stupid jokes in our TR's.

Oh, who am I kidding? Wherever you can find a DisDad, stupid jokes won't be far behind.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:19 PM   #92
GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes
DDC 469
Never mind the Kool-Aid, don’t drink the Beverly!
If it’s still here tomorrow… I may ignore it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
Well, I figured the puns were Barry's domain. None of the rest of us would ever stoop so low as to put stupid jokes in our TR's.

Oh, who am I kidding? Wherever you can find a DisDad, stupid jokes won't be far behind.

Can I get an amen form the choir?

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-08-2011, 01:27 PM   #93
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

Quote:
Actually, that story reminds me of one I herd from Jeff Foxworthy about a beaver biting off some guys nipple.
That is a classic! And it made me think of it too.

Quote:
You’d expect less from DisDad TRs? Useless off topic info from mine, really “cheesy” puns form Barry’s; seems to me that those are major qualifications for be a DisDad in the first place.
Seems to be the case.

Quote:
None of the rest of us would ever stoop so low as to put stupid jokes in our TR's.
Absolutely not! And then there are some who can't come up with their own material and have to use lines from movies instead.

Quote:

Quote:
Can I get an amen form the choir?

AMEN!
Old 08-08-2011, 03:15 PM   #94
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
Absolutely not! And then there are some who can't come up with their own material and have to use lines from movies instead.
You'd have to be truly desperate to reach that low.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:33 PM   #95
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?
Shocking, isn't it. Oh, wait, thats a taser

Hey, did I hear my name?

Running short on time (dang work), motivation (dang work) and general will to do anything but stare at my wall until quitting time today (dang...well, I'm sure you can guess).

Anyway, I loved the Vexillology lesson. Fascinating stuff.

And wouldn't you guess - I just checked the website for the Radisson for the night before our cruise in October. No rooms available.

Well, back to staring at the wall. Only 63 more minutes to go.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:16 AM   #96
GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes
DDC 469

Quote:
You'd have to be truly desperate to reach that low.
I’ve got desperate on speed dial, so… I’ll not be picking too hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post
Hey, did I hear my name?
I don’t know… Hay! Did one of y’all call Barry? Oh…
It appears that we did. Thanks for checking in

Quote:
Running short on time (dang work), motivation (dang work) and general will to do anything but stare at my wall until quitting time today (dang...well, I'm sure you can guess).
Work?

Quote:
Anyway, I loved the Vexillology lesson. Fascinating stuff.
Thanks, I was really expecting other things to be thrown at me for that one but I’ll certainly take the kind words instead.

Quote:
And wouldn't you guess - I just checked the website for the Radisson for the night before our cruise in October. No rooms available.
Aw shucks. Well there is also a Residence Inn that’s a little bit closer to the terminal. There are a good number of folks that stay there as well. I don’t have a review on it, but I bet you can find one on the DCL forum.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:59 AM   #97
GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes
DDC 469

Howdy folks…

sorry I’ve been away so long but life has a tendency to get in the way of a good time. Anyway, I do have one update finally ready (although I was hopping for two). I’ll go ahead and post that in just a minute. Y’all go ahead and sharpen your daggers and I’ll be expecting your best sarcasm and pot shots in the near. I‘ll try to catch up and get a bit more of this posted in a few days.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:03 AM   #98
GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes
DDC 469

Chapter 4: The Tale - Day 1 (Sunday)

Part 1: Shuttle Launch

Noooooooo… not that shuttle. Although we almost had the opportunity to see one of those launches from the decks of Disney Magic in 2009. The weather however, decided to interfere and we were all the way to Mexico before they actually got the shot off. “Missed it by that… much.” Those things may have been built by the lowest bidder, but now they’ve all been sold off to the highest bidders, so a true “shuttle launch” is a site we won’t be seeing in the future. Too bad… but then again, a dissertation on the shuttle program might just be more entertaining then anything I’ll be writing about.

: Hummmmm…

Naaaaaaa… I’ve already abused y’all enough with my previous pointless ramblings so I’ll save that tangent for another time. Anyway, the shuttle I’m actually on about is just as bus like but considerably less technologically advanced. To be precise, we’re talking about one of these little joy rides:

Catching a lift on the bigger one would be… shall we say… “exciting” for any passenger (to say the least), but even this humble mode of conveyance can offer excitement (depending on the destination involved).

OK, let me back up just a bit so that I can lay the proper groundwork. In so much as we had driven down to Port Canaveral, we were in need of a place to store the car for a bit and a ride over to the terminal on sailing day. There is onsite parking at the port but I wouldn’t call it a bargain. Now at “The Rad” however, there was a bargain to be had. Stay one night, and you could leave you car in their long-term lot for free and… they offered a shuttle service to the terminals for a nominal fee. Well I certainly needed a place to stay the night anyway, so how can you loose? (By the way… it’s no longer free, but it’s still a better deal then on site.)

Anyway… The morning of the 26th has finally arrived. “It’s Showtime!”

I was up early (as usual) so I took the opportunity to move the car over to the long-term lot…

Stay!… Good car.

…and then made a quick trip around the Radisson for a few pictures. Here’s the first thing I saw that certainly wasn’t there the night before.

Is that our Fräulein? Nope. That’s the “Freedom of the Seas”… a very fine RCCL ship, but not our destination (this time anyway). So I moved down a bit and got as high as I could and saw this:

Dang… same ship… but wait! What’s that in the background just ahead of the Freedom’s funnel? No, no… not the seagulls… that red thing in the distance. Those things!

THAT’S’ HER! All I can see is the tops of her funnels and the main mast, but She’s here! Were finally going… really! I hustled back to the room and found that the rest of the clan was just a about ready to get movin’. We hauled the bags down to the lobby and ran smack dab into a veritable sea of humanity all awaiting their chariots to whisk them away. Another thing I saw (and was not expecting at all) was a whole bunch of different folks spread across the room wearing tee-shirts adorned with variations of these little images:

Now those are actually a couple of bit of nonsense that I whipped up with the possible intention of using as door magnets. But then a request showed up on our DIS Cruise-Meet thread asking if any one could design something that could be used as our sailing group’s logo. I submitted them and for some odd reason, everyone liked ‘em (well no one else submitted anything so I suppose I actually won by default). But I have to tell you that seeing other folks sporting copies of your work is really kind’a jarring.

Yah… I know… Anyway, we had reservations on the 10:00 shuttle, so the crowd didn’t concern me at first. Also we had asked what the exact procedures for this process where before we arrived, and then again when we actually checked in and once more just for good measure first thing that morning. Every time, we got the same reassuring answer. “We have you on the reservation list, just make yourself comfortable and someone will call out you name when it time to board the shuttle”. This we did. After a bit a fellow with a clipboard in hand and a miniature megaphone did indeed start to inform everyone in the lobby that the shuttles were on the way and right after this one really big wedding part was taken care of, he’d be loading everyone else up.

We took this, as a bit of a signal to go on ahead and haul our gear out to the front of the building (just to make sure that we didn’t miss anything). It wasn’t long before the first shuttle showed up and the dude with the clipboard started calling out names. But ours didn’t come up. Hummm? I thought we were on the first bus heading out of Dodge. DW and I discussed this a bit and finally decided that I needed to head up there and check on the oversight. Now I don’t much like the idea of looking like an uneducated hick, but based on the info I had, things weren’t making since. So I swallowed what little pride I had and flagged down Mr. clipboard. He tells me that he’d been looking for us and had I checked in with him earlier, I’d have been on the first shuttle. Aaaarrrrrggg! I don’t ask for much in the world, but when I ask multiple folks to tell me what is expected, and I get the same answer, I don’t like for it to be the same wrong answer! But Mr. Clipboard said he’d get us on the next shuttle and he was as good as his word.

And away we go…

Finally! We had arrived! I dropped a tip in the bucket for the driver and we hopped off the shuttle.

11:00… Ehhhh, the ship wasn’t boarding for a while yet, so no harm done (and don’t ya’ just love the hands on the clock?) Once we were on the grounds the porters materialized quicker then grim grinning ghosts and started checking with everyone to be sure we all had our gear accounted for. No sooner then I said yup, then he told me he’d take it from here and we would not have to worry about any of the bags again (do remember to tip these fella’s a couple of bucks per bag as well, they really do good job). From here on out, we were officially: “Cruisers”, and I wouldn’t want for anything or have to worry about another detail for days.

A hop, skip and a jump from there, and finally I had a good look at our home for the next several Disney days.

Better then a year of scheming, planning and saving was just about to pay off. I was about to board my third Disney ship. From there on I was sporting a very slight smile. I know it was there because I could feel a strain on some of the more rarely used mussels in my face. That subtle smile would be there for the next week. Outwardly you could not really tell just how excited I was.

But on the inside…

Last edited by GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes; 08-16-2011 at 12:11 PM.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:33 AM   #99
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

Quote:
so a true “shuttle launch” is a site we won’t be seeing in the future. Too bad…

Quote:
Catching a lift on the bigger one would be… shall we say… “exciting” for any passenger (to say the least), but even this humble mode of conveyance can offer excitement (depending on the destination involved).
Well, excitement comes in many forms... so I guess this would be a true statement.

Quote:
Stay!… Good car.
Wow! How long did it take to train it to do that?

Quote:
THAT’S’ HER!
I'll take your word for it. I'll have to check out the pictures that go with these words from home.

Quote:
I submitted them and for some odd reason, everyone liked ‘em (well no one else submitted anything so I suppose I actually won by default). But I have to tell you that seeing other folks sporting copies of your work is really kind’a jarring.
Again, I'm not sure what it looks like, but I'm sure you did a great job.
That would be a bit humbling to see someone you don't know wearing a shirt with something you designed on it.
Speaking of which, are you submitting a DIS Dads logo?

Quote:
“We have you on the reservation list, just make yourself comfortable and someone will call out you name when it time to board the shuttle”
That sounds easy enough.

Quote:
the first shuttle showed up and the dude with the clipboard started calling out names. But ours didn’t come up. Hummm?

Quote:
So I swallowed what little pride I had and flagged down Mr. clipboard. He tells me that he’d been looking for us and had I checked in with him earlier, I’d have been on the first shuttle. Aaaarrrrrggg! I don’t ask for much in the world, but when I ask multiple folks to tell me what is expected, and I get the same answer, I don’t like for it to be the same wrong answer!

Quote:
But Mr. Clipboard said he’d get us on the next shuttle and he was as good as his word.
So, what we have established is that if you stay at the Radison the night before you board a cruise out of Port Canaveral, nobody except for the guy with the clipboard knows anything.

Quote:
I dropped a tip in the bucket for the driver and we hopped off the shuttle.

(do remember to tip these fella’s a couple of bucks per bag as well, they really do good job).
Just out of curiosity... how much does a cruise tend to cost in tips?

Quote:
From here on out, we were officially: “Cruisers”, and I wouldn’t want for anything or have to worry about another detail for days.
That would be quite relaxing... which I'm sure is kind of the reason for going.

Quote:
There was sporting a very slight smile.
By slight smile, don't you mean you made the Cheshire Cat look grumpy?
Old 08-16-2011, 01:10 PM   #100
ntikos
Mouseketeer

good stuff!

December 1976 - Offsite *April 2000 - Caribbean Beach *May 2007 - Port Orleans Riverside * May 2009 - Beach Club Resort * August 2011 - Beach Club Resort and Beach Club Villas *
Old 08-16-2011, 01:20 PM   #101
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257

Quote:
Noooooooo… not that shuttle.
Aw, man.

Quote:
That seems to be the key.

Quote:
Stay one night, and you could leave you car in their long-term lot for free and… they offered a shuttle service to the terminals for a nominal fee.
The saying in our home is, "If it's free, it's for me!"

Quote:
Stay!… Good car.
Did you make him stay there for the WHOLE trip?! No snacks or anything?

Quote:
Another thing I saw (and was not expecting at all) was a whole bunch of different folks spread across the room wearing tee-shirts adorned with variations of these little images:
Those look pretty cool! I can't really blame them for making t-shirts.

Quote:
So I swallowed what little pride I had and flagged down Mr. clipboard. He tells me that he’d been looking for us and had I checked in with him earlier, I’d have been on the first shuttle. Aaaarrrrrggg! I don’t ask for much in the world, but when I ask multiple folks to tell me what is expected, and I get the same answer, I don’t like for it to be the same wrong answer!
Good thing you guys didn't have to be there right away...

Quote:
From here on out, we were officially: “Cruisers”, and I wouldn’t want for anything or have to worry about another detail for days.
They don't have a smiley with a guy relaxing with a cold beverage in a hammock, but just picture one here.

Quote:
I know it was there because I could feel a strain on some of the more rarely used mussels in my face. That subtle smile would be there for the next week. Outwardly you could not really tell just how excited I was.
Are you related to Mr. Burns from the Simpsons?

Quote:
You'll end up paying a few hundred bucks in tips when all is said and done. Primarily to your servers at dinner and the room stewards. But they work hard for it.
Old 08-16-2011, 02:15 PM   #102
GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes
DDC 469

Quote:
Well, excitement comes in many forms... so I guess this would be a true statement.
Technically… it’s true. In reality… I can’t imagine anything quite as exciting as the prospect of being projected beyond our atmosphere by what is essentially a controlled explosion (with the possible exception of seeing your child being born).

Quote:
Wow! How long did it take to train it to do that?
It’s still a work in progress.
Having owned my share of straight-drive vehicles, I am very aware that forgetting to set the hand brake will give an otherwise inanimate object a lot of opportunities to make effective use of gravities’ existence.

Quote:
I'll take your word for it. I'll have to check out the pictures that go with these words from home.

Again, I'm not sure what it looks like, but I'm sure you did a great job.
That would be a bit humbling to see someone you don't know wearing a shirt with something you designed on it.
Speaking of which, are you submitting a DIS Dads logo?
Dang Firewall

Actually I did submit one for the DDC. It’s a variation of the logo in my Sig. but I also recommended that even if that one were (for some wacked reason) to be chosen, we should still get a better graphic artist then I to clean it up a bit.

Quote:
So, what we have established is that if you stay at the Radison the night before you board a cruise out of Port Canaveral, nobody except for the guy with the clipboard knows anything.
I do believe that you have a clear perception of the reality I encountered.
Moral of the story: If you want to get on a cruise shuttle at the Rad, be sure to check in with Mr. Clipboard ASAP on that morning (then just relax).

Quote:
Ya’ know… I ought to talk about that. I did a pretty decent got post on that very subject a while back. I’ll dig it up and post it as a Bonus Feature in just a little bit

Quote:
That would be quite relaxing... which I'm sure is kind of the reason for going.

Quote:
By slight smile, don't you mean you made the Cheshire Cat look grumpy?
When you get to see the image at the bottom of the post… all will become clear
Old 08-16-2011, 02:27 PM   #103
GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes
DDC 469

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntikos View Post
good stuff!
Thanks. I try.

Oh… and thanks for following along.

Quote:
Aw, man.
I feel your pain

Quote:
That seems to be the key.
Yes in deedie.

If that bus were heading say… to Shawshank... I suspect that my perception of “excitement” might be just a smidgen different.

Quote:
The saying in our home is, "If it's free, it's for me!"
Sound like a Man Law to me.

Quote:
Did you make him stay there for the WHOLE trip?! No snacks or anything?
Seems unfair I know, but he got fresh oil, good fuel and a full wash, vac and polish (both before and after), and… the opportunity to drive to Florida & over to WDW later on. All in all… he didn’t complain too much.

Quote:
Those look pretty cool! I can't really blame them for making t-shirts.
Well gawrsh…

Quote:
Good thing you guys didn't have to be there right away...
Agreed… As it was, I might have gotten onboard a little bit quicker, but ultimately it didn’t cause that much trouble. I just don’t like when I don’t know the way things are supposed to work (I try to work those details out beforehand for a reason).

Quote:
They don't have a smiley with a guy relaxing with a cold beverage in a hammock, but just picture one here.
Consider it pictured… Aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..........

This one comes close though...

Quote:
Are you related to Mr. Burns from the Simpsons?

I’m not quite as evil (so far as you know)

…but giving my current work environment and the reigning societal climate, let’s just say that smiles can be hard to come by these days.
Old 08-16-2011, 02:39 PM   #104
GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes
DDC 469

Bonus Feature 6:

A DCL Cruiser’s Tipping Primer

DCL is one of the few cruise lines that actually still allow you to control the tips. Most lines deal with them by adding a standard set of tips into the price of the cruise up front (which in some instances does not give the staff much incentive to perform at their highest standards). DCL also simplifies the process. They will leave a tipping guideline flyer in your cabin one night toward the end of your cruise. You can fill it out and just drop it off in a box by the purser’s desk and they’ll just charge the tips to your cabin. The staff onboard know exactly who you CMs are and they will print up Tip Cards and envelopes with the name and position of each individual (along with receipts for your records). You just give the cards to the individual folks on the last night. DCL actually encourages this method, because you can simply charge the entire transaction to your cabin, and they can make direct deposits into each CM's account.

Now, how you go about deciding what to tip is a personal decision and you may want to go up or down from the standard based on your experience during that sailing, but… The generally agreed upon standard works like this:

Room Steward – $4.00 per-person/per-day

Head Server - $4.00 per-person/per-day

Assistant Server - $3.00 per-person/per-day

Dinning room Manager - $1.00 per-person/per-day (optional)

So… for two people sailing seven days it would be $24.00 per day or a total of $168.00.

Here’s a site that will calculate the average tip for you:

http://cruisetip.tpkeller.com/

If you order room service, you would generally tip a couple of bucks to the CM that delivers the order. We take an envelope with a bunch of dollar bills in it and keep it somewhere near the cabin door.

There is one other tipping situation to keep in mind. When you arrive at the terminal, one of the porters will be along very quickly to help you get you bags stowed. It is customary to tip the folks about $2.00 per bag for the service (and not having to worry about keeping up with five suitcases is certainly worth 10 bucks if you ask me). When you get off the ship, there will also be porters that will help you find your bags, haul them all (including the ones your carrying), help navigate you through the terminal and customs and roll the whole lot either to you bus stop or on to your vehicle. That kind of service is also deserving of at least a sawbuck or better.

Last edited by GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes; 08-16-2011 at 02:51 PM.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:06 AM   #105
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257

Quote:

Bonus Feature 6:

A DCL Cruiser’s Tipping Primer
Good stuff here. One other note: some people ask whether you should tip the recommended amount for kids as well. The answer: yes! If anything, the servers work harder taking care of your kids.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: