Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2011, 03:34 PM   #136
Sweet Pea UK
DIS Veteran

Another great update Emma!! I love watching storms from inside. It must have been fascinating from sea!!

I have that same style D&B purse only mine is pink based!!

By the way ... Got our thank you card in the week which was really thoughtful of you!! I loved the picture!! Xx

Sara xxx
Old 08-07-2011, 03:40 PM   #137
disneybarbie
Disney Princess

Friday 24th June 2011

Nassau

Today’s navigator..

We woke up just after 8am, the jet lag was finally starting to wear off! We looked out from the verandah we could see we were almost in the dock at Nassau.

We liked how the docks had been extended as the cruise ships have got bigger!

View from the bridge, via the tv…

We went up to Cabanas for breakfast – I had fruit & a muffin and Steve had a cooked breakfast. Back to the room pack up the bag for the day, and then headed down to the Buena Vista Theatre ready to disembark the ship. Today we had booked an excursion at Blue Lagoon island, the dolphin encounter!

The theatre was busy but everything was very well organised, we showed our tickets (that were in our room on the first day we arrived) and were given wristbands and stickers.

The character on our stickers matched the sign that a crew member held up as we walked through Nassau so we stayed with our group.

We disembarked around 9.30am, our cards were swiped off and then we had to line up for a few minutes next to the ship while are group assembled.

Soon we were walking towards the town, through a small shopping centre (most shops were closed at this time in the morning) and to the dock where our catamaran boat was waiting for us.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-07-2011, 03:42 PM   #138
disneybarbie
Disney Princess

We sat upstairs and Steve took lots of photos as we sailed to the island – it was about 20/25 minutes away, at some points the sea felt quite choppy, we’d been spoiled by the Dream and its stabilisers!

We overheard another passenger say that this was the ship’s anchor.. I’m not sure if it was, but we took a photo anyway (apparently it weighed the same as four elephants!)

Once at the island, we disembarked and made our way to a covered area where a member of staff gave a 15 minute presentation about dolphins.
The whole island was really nicely designed and everything looked lovely.

Map of the island…

The presentation was really interesting, just the right length and we learnt a lot about dolphins. This excursion had been Steve’s idea – while planning our honeymoon, I said to him “what shall we do in Nassau?” and he said “I want to swim with a dolphin!” … the Blue Lagoon had good reviews and our travel agent said it always seemed to be a popular place. The only other place we might have gone would have been the Atlantis resort, but I’m really glad we picked the Dolphin Encounter.

Once the presentation was done, we headed down to the swimming areas, there were free lockers – we were allowed to have waterproof cameras with us but nothing else.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:45 PM   #139
disneybarbie
Disney Princess

We were grouped with about 12 other people, and gathered around one of the ‘pools’ – the dolphins were very tame and seemed excited to see us, it didn’t feel like a zoo at all and the trainers told us that the animals are not made to do anything; they are free to swim around and not take part in the encounters at all if they don’t want to!

Our dolphin was called Cacique, he was 4 years old and very cute!

Steve and I were asked to walk down into the pool, onto the ledge for a photo..

All the other groups with us had their photos, then smaller groups of got to go into the water and do various things with Cacique – stroke his tummy, give him a hug, dance with him and get a kiss!

We were both fascinated by these animals, Cacique made so many different noises and was so responsive to the commands from the trainer.

When it was my turn to kiss the dolphin, the trainer must have given him a signal to try and ‘kiss’ me for longer.. he just wouldn’t stop!! She said “oh, Cacique likes the pretty lady!” - it was quite funny!

The trainer said that each dolphin had a favourite toy, and Cacique’s was a blue ball! At one point, the ball was behind her while she was talking to us.. and the dolphin snuck behind her and grabbed the ball, then he was playing catch with it, by himself!

Once our turn was done, we went back to get our things from the lockers and were able to watch a video of us in the pool.

This video was for sale (I think it was about $75) as were many photo package options – but I had only brought $20 with us and no credit cards (I’d read a lot about Nassau being a bit intimidating and didn’t want to carry a lot of valuables around with us!). But luckily we had enough to buy one 5x7 photo and a can of Fanta.

We went to look around the rest of the island.
We saw the Dolphin Swim area..

And also the sea lions..

Watching some dolphins being trained..

We could have stayed a bit longer on the island, the boats back to the dock were at 1pm, 2pm and 4pm… but we decided to get the first boat back – Steve suggested we went for a look around the town before getting back onboard the Dream.

We sailed back to the port, admiring some of the huge mansions along the shore!

Another ship had docked next to the Dream, the Carnival Sensation, it made us appreciate just how big and majestic our ship was!

The boat stopped at Atlantis, a few people got off here – then we were back at the town.
Within a few minutes of stepping off the boat, Steve and I agreed just to go back to the ship. We were asked by locals if we wanted a taxi/moped/hair-brading/conch shell.. no one was intimidating, but we just didn’t fancy walking around the town if it was going to be like that!
Such a shame, but I was sort of expecting it – we’ve been to other Caribbean islands and found the main towns are similar.

As we were along the Dream, we noticed huge trucks taking trash & waste away from the ship – it was quite interesting to see, thinking about how the ship functioned!

Once back onboard, we decided to drop our stuff in the room, and go ride the Aquaduck!

The wait was about 20 minutes, not too bad – it was fun to ride it while in dock as the views were amazing… not that I saw much after the first bend and I was concentrating on the slide… it’s fantastic! A bit like the Crush n Gusher slides at Typhoon Lagoon… but on a huge cruise ship.

By this time it was nearly 3pm, so we got a late lunch at Flo’s V 8 Café on Deck 11 – there is a range of pizzas, sandwiches, fried chicken and salads; we both enjoyed the food here.
While we were sat near the café, I recognised a Disney podcaster (Mike Rahlman from the Be Our Guest Podcast) whose show I listen to every week! I decided to go and say hello – I panicked at first in case it wasn’t him, but luckily it was!

We spent the rest of the afternoon on Deck 12 in the adults only area – we cooled off with a Bud Light with lime, and I wrote some postcards (there were two in a draw in our stateroom with the room service breakfast ordering cards!)

Old 08-07-2011, 03:50 PM   #140
disneybarbie
Disney Princess

We went back to our stateroom a bit before 6pm, there were pirate bandanas on our bed as well as a letter that asked us to remove everything from the balcony due to the fireworks show later!

We also had envelopes and a letter about gratuities for our servers & stateroom host..

We had showers and then got dressed for the evening… as it was pirate night, we’d brought full costumes with us!
I’d heard about the DCL ‘Pirates IN the Caribbean’ nights, and knew the dress code was ‘pirate attire’ – and knowing how well people dress up for the Halloween parties in the Magic Kingdom, we wanted to make sure we had really great costumes for this night.

Steve felt a little self-conscious at first, but I assured him that ‘everyone else would be dressed up’ so it was ok I think his costume was complete once he’d put his guy-liner on!

Pirate on the balcony…

And me in my costume!

At one point, Steve lent over the balcony to take a photo.. and there was another guest on their verandah who jumped out of his skin when he saw a ‘pirate’!

We watched the ship pull out of Nassau (I think the horn played ‘yo ho, yo ho’ but I’m not sure) – and at 7.30 we went up to Deck 11 ready to watch Mickey’s pirate show.

During the afternoon, we’d heard an announcement from the captain (.. he always started his announcements with “hello, this is Captain Thom…” – in a strong Scandinavian accent!) that one of the lifeboats hadn’t worked correctly during safety checks that had taken place while we were docked… the lifeboat was noticeably wonky, but we were assured that there were plenty of lifeboats for all of us if there was an emergency!

There was music played in the corridors on the ship all the time, and tonight it had all changed to pirates music!

Once up on deck.. we noticed that the ‘pirate attire’ was mostly worn by children!! We felt a little over-dressed, most adults were wearing POTC tshirts and the complimentary bandanas from our staterooms.

Never mind, we headed to the back of the ship to the Waves bar… the server greeted us with ‘hello pirates!’ and recommended the special rum cocktail of the night.

These were served in light up glasses that we got to keep as a souvenir.

We went back to Deck 11 – and noticed the swimming pools had been covered up to create a huge dance floor!

The pirate show was very cute – this one was aimed more at children but very good.

We noticed the technicians up on top of the funnel, they were dancing along to one of the songs!

There was a Captain Jack Sparrow stumbling around the decks throughout the night… I’m not 100% sure it was a crew member, but he was very good none-the-less!

Unfortunately, my camera battery got low at this point – so we stopped at our room to charge it, and made our way to Animator’s Palate for dinner (sorry, no photos of this!!)

On approaching the restaurant, we saw that the servers were all dressed as pirates and greeted guests with a loud ‘Arrrrr!’ – as we entered, they took one look at our costumes.. and just started clapping!

Rather than the normal Crush from Finding Nemo show this restaurant has, the screens showed concept art from the Pirates attraction and movies; while the movie soundtracks played in the background.

We both really liked the menu on this night, I had pearls of the Caribbean to start and prime rib for my main; Steve had crab cake and steak. For dessert, I wanted to try the fruit cobbler, but asked our server if it had nuts in it – he wasn’t sure so went to check with the chef, luckily it was nut-free! So I had that and Steve had a banana crepe.

Arrrrr..

As this was the last night with our rotation servers, we gave Ivor, Caterina and Gabor their gratuity envelopes before we left.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:51 PM   #141
onelilspark
DIS Veteran

I've been to Paradise Island many times, actually started going before the Atlantis is what is today! Anyway, Blue Lagoon is a nice little island for anyone looking to do a day trip to a nice relaxing beach when they go to Nassau. You can get the water taxi over to it when you get to Nassau too if you don't book in advance. (Just an fyi for anyone else who might be interested.)

I'm curious on your jet lag comment...I haven't been over to Europe since I was a teenager, so I don't remember. Is it worse going to Europe or coming to the States? How many days does it usually take to get used to the time change?
Old 08-07-2011, 03:55 PM   #142
disneybarbie
Disney Princess

We popped back to the room but my camera wasn’t quite charged, so Steve got his dslr – ready to take photos of the Buccaneer Blast fireworks show!

Deck 11 was very busy, but we found quite a good spot near the Aquaduck entrance.

The fireworks were fantastic – I love the Pirates movies and soundtrack, and to be on the sea too was amazing!

After the fireworks there was a show on the stage, followed by a dance party. We walked up to the Currents bar near the Quiet Cove and had a drink – we noticed we could see into the tween club in the funnel!

We got back to our room and filled out a room-service breakfast order to hang on our door… we were looking forward to getting to Castaway Cay again tomorrow!

Tonight’s towel animal was a rabbit.. and rather than Sleepy chocolates, there were Pirates golden coins!

Coming up… snorkelling, sunbathing and the Best. Meal. Ever!

Emma x
Old 08-07-2011, 04:04 PM   #143
disneybarbie
Disney Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelilspark View Post
I've been to Paradise Island many times, actually started going before the Atlantis is what is today! Anyway, Blue Lagoon is a nice little island for anyone looking to do a day trip to a nice relaxing beach when they go to Nassau. You can get the water taxi over to it when you get to Nassau too if you don't book in advance. (Just an fyi for anyone else who might be interested.)

I'm curious on your jet lag comment...I haven't been over to Europe since I was a teenager, so I don't remember. Is it worse going to Europe or coming to the States? How many days does it usually take to get used to the time change?
Thanks for the info I'd like to go see/stay at Atlantis one day.. looks amazing!

With the jetlag, it usually takes me 2-3 days to get over it - we wake up too early (3/4am) and then get really tired at about 8/9pm because our brains are telling us it's 1/2am and we should be going to bed! I try an adjust as quickly as I can, especially with Disney trips - there's too much going on to feel tired! But this trip it took Steve nearly the whole two weeks to completely adjust - he kept waking up in the middle of the night lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea UK View Post
Another great update Emma!! I love watching storms from inside. It must have been fascinating from sea!!

I have that same style D&B purse only mine is pink based!!

By the way ... Got our thank you card in the week which was really thoughtful of you!! I loved the picture!! Xx

Sara xxx
So glad you got the card ok Sarah! We've still not eaten any of the wedding rock .. I've put one piece of it in my 'momento box' for the wedding

Emma x
Old 08-07-2011, 04:33 PM   #144
mamaboogie
DIS Veteran

I love your pirate outfits! Booo to all those boring grown ups who didn't dress up! Where did you get them from? You look fab!

The dolphin experience looked so cute. I love just being able to touch the dolpins at Seaworld so getting in the pool with them must be amazing.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:42 PM   #145
disneylovin24
~Let It Go~

That is so cool that you got to "swim" with dolphins! Definetely a great way to speand your day!

That must have been neat to have seen the garbage leaving the ships. I wonder if the DCL do behind the scene tours If they don't they should! I bet you a lot of people on the boats would do it.

I love your pirate costumes. I think it's great that you dresseed up even as adults I think more adults should have gotten in the spirit and dressed! Why should it be only kids!?

I love the fireworks at sea idea. And it was to the music of POTC! That is even better!

Old 08-07-2011, 05:04 PM   #146
Sunstar
Mouseketeer

The aquaduck sounds really cool. And swimming with dolphins - my DH would love that!

Katie and Kellan's Disneymoon PTR Mr. and Mrs. Potts Take a Honeymoon Holiday
Caribbean Beach April 1989 * Off Site WDW/US Aug 1994 * Port Orleans French Quarter/IOA Aug 1996 * Disneyland Paris April 1999 * Coronado Springs/IOA Aug 2000 * Coronado Springs Aug 2006 * Disneyland Resort Feb 2008 * Coronado Springs Aug 2011 - Our Disneymoon! * Port Orleans Riverside (Royal Room!) - May 2014

Old 08-07-2011, 06:45 PM   #147
Self_resqing_princz
Mouseketeer

So glad I joined!

I just started today and read everything so far in one read! GREAT start! I'm not going to lie... I got choked up a few times... You're doing great and I'm so glad I made it here before you finished the cruise! I can't wait to read the rest!

2007/2010 WL
2013- split stay POR(RS) & WL

Current PTR/TR September 2013: Doing Disney by the book... or rather- list. Marking off our Disney Bucket Lists!
[URL="http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3151964"]Moose & Goose do Disney -or- The 5th anniversary is the Disney Trip anniversary

http://distickers.com/ticker/tickers/jxorsv1jabd4oqto.png
Old 08-07-2011, 06:50 PM   #148
lilsqueakrr
DIS Veteran

OMG Pirate night looks like so much fun! I'm jealous! You both looked great! <3

fairytale comes true

member of the fab 5
Planning Journal Trip Report 2010*
Old 08-07-2011, 07:03 PM   #149
TanzUnited99
DIS Veteran

Love the review of the Dolphin encounter - sounds great!

on recognising a Disney podcaster and you both look great in your pirate costumes!
Old 08-07-2011, 07:26 PM   #150
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Just caught up! What a beautiful report so far! Congrats on the wedding

I went on a Carnival cruise with my family when I was 18 and HATED it (everything felt cheap and dirty). So much so that I thought I never would feel the urge to go on a cruise again. But your gorgeous photos make me want to try a Disney Cruise, it looks like you guys had so much fun!
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: