Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2012, 09:55 PM   #346
MEK
DIS Veteran

Your meal looks wonderful. Yummy! I had the filet there as well and it was wonderful. So glad everyone enjoyed their adult night out.

Aren't those wine racks the coolest?

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 02-03-2012, 10:31 PM   #347
thecapells
Disney Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Your meal looks wonderful. Yummy! I had the filet there as well and it was wonderful. So glad everyone enjoyed their adult night out.

Aren't those wine racks the coolest?
It was a blast!
We really enjoyed Jiko and look forward to going back again soon!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-03-2012, 10:34 PM   #348
thecapells
Disney Dad

The Lion Sleeps Tonight

Our two hours were finally up and it was time to retrieve the kids from Simba’s Clubhouse.
We all headed over to see how they did.
This time the CM let me take a couple of pictures.

The arts and crafts bins where their creations can be stored…

DS and his LEGO creation.

The kids had a blast and didn’t want to leave.
Which was a good sign as we had another “adult only” night planned for later in the trip with another stop at a kid’s club.
This trade-off seemed to make everyone happy!

Finally it was time to head out.
But first, we had one more thing to do before we could call a quits to our safari!

In the center of the AKL lobby, Photopass had set up a tripod with lighting to capture portraits of guests.
Of course, we obliged!

Then it was off to the bus platforms where we waited for a bus to Epcot.
We figured we could transfer there easy enough and hopefully beat the rush at park closing.
Our bus driver had other ideas.
Finishing off our evening with a Magical Moment, he drove us directly to Pop Century.
What a wonderful end to a wonderful day.
And this was only Day Three – what’s in store for Day Four?
A visit to our favorite park!
Don’t miss it!
Old 02-04-2012, 06:46 AM   #349
MEK
DIS Veteran

I'm so glad the kids enjoyed the Kid's club! Score! So, a wonderful evening was had by all.

Wonderful PP pictures, as always, although X looks like he is trying to escape in a couple of those shots.

Total mojo on getting your own bus back to Pop Century! SCORE!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 02-04-2012, 06:50 AM   #350
dawnbu40
DIS Veteran

So glad you all enjoyed your evening at the Animal Kingdom Lodge

How cool that your driver took you "home" rather then having to transfer buses again
Old 02-04-2012, 11:30 AM   #351
Curoly06
Mouseketeer

I love Mrs. Capell's Mickey earrings!! They are super cute!

*1985*1986*1987*1992*1994*1996*1998*2000*2005*2006*2007*POP 2008*POP 2009*ASMu Feb 2012**ASM Sept 2012*ASMu Sept 2013
Old 02-05-2012, 11:23 PM   #352
thecapells
Disney Dad

Quote:
I'm so glad the kids enjoyed the Kid's club! Score! So, a wonderful evening was had by all.

Wonderful PP pictures, as always, although X looks like he is trying to escape in a couple of those shots.

Total mojo on getting your own bus back to Pop Century! SCORE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnbu40 View Post
So glad you all enjoyed your evening at the Animal Kingdom Lodge

How cool that your driver took you "home" rather then having to transfer buses again
We definitely had a wonderful night!
Great meal, happy kids, photopass pics, and door-to-door bus service.
It doesn't get much better than that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curoly06 View Post
I love Mrs. Capell's Mickey earrings!! They are super cute!
Mickey jewelry comes with the territory doesn't it?
Old 02-08-2012, 08:36 PM   #353
thecapells
Disney Dad

Apparently we went over bandwidth again.
Account resets this weekend so I'll put the next segments up then.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:17 PM   #354
thecapells
Disney Dad

Day Four - Time to Soar!

We awoke early for Day Four – it was Extra Magic Hours at Epcot!!
But first, a Hidden Mickey from our room to get the day going!

Then it was off to the buses and to our favorite park!

While we waited for the turnstiles to open, X caught a glimpse of his new favorite attraction… THE TRONORAIL!!!!

Finally, the gates opened and off we went along with the rest of the crowd towards the Land Pavillion.
We needed to start our day by Soarin’ through the sky!
DD and I were even dressed for the occasion!

Mom and J took the kids while I grabbed a Rider Swap Pass and stayed behind with little X.
X made up his own little game once he discovered the numbers on the FastPass machines.
Anybody up for some counting?

Meanwhile, down the tunnel, the rest of the gang was getting ready to take flight!

Finally, Mom and the kids arrived and it was my turn!
J wasn’t so impressed by our favorite ride so he headed with Mom and X to Sunshine Seasons for a snack.
I took DS and DD and headed down the tunnel.

And a final bit of caution in my favorite sign…

And then off we went!
While the screen is definitely getting dirty over the years, the feeling of flight on this ride is still unparalleled.
I usually just sit back, relax, and smile the whole way through.
And yes, I’m one of those people who spends the whole time kicking his feet back and forth like a 2-year old just having the time of his life!
After a trip down the coast of California and through Disneyland, it was finally time to return to reality.
Luckily that reality also included a day in Epcot!
Any guesses to where we were off to next?
Old 02-13-2012, 05:37 AM   #355
MEK
DIS Veteran

Is X tall enough now for Soarin! Poor kid - left alone with the FP's machines. He's so darn cute!

I like the child swap concept - its great for the folks that get to ride twice!

I agree - the screen stinks, but that ride is great. I took pictures in there this year.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:58 AM   #356
thecapells
Disney Dad

Quote:
Is X tall enough now for Soarin! Poor kid - left alone with the FP's machines. He's so darn cute!

I like the child swap concept - its great for the folks that get to ride twice!

I agree - the screen stinks, but that ride is great. I took pictures in there this year.
I've attempted no-flash pics in there before (I believe the trip after this one actually) and they are so-so.
But I think you have a better camera than I do.

As for X, he finally debuted on Soarin' in November when we went back.
Yes, he now tops 40" and a whole new world has opened for him.
But, alas, for this trip he was still stuck on the sidelines.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:01 AM   #357
HilJoy14
Earning My Ears

I was surprised that X wasn't tall enough, too! My kids are such giants that I forget what "normal" heights are. (X is maybe a month older than my younger DD, so I was comparing.)

We took my DD for her 3rd birthday two years ago (arriving before her birthday so she would be free the whole trip). She road Soarin', Test Track, Big Thunder Mountain - and she loved it all! When we used FP, the workers there were very confused that we didn't have a FP for her (because she didn't have a ticket) but that she was large enough to ride!

I also agree that Soarin' is starting to age. We were there last weekend and I could barely look at the screen. Between the spots on the film (right in the center) and the jumpy film, it was making me very dizzy!

Offsite 9/2001 * Offsite 7/2007 * Offsite 11/2008 * Polynesian 2/2009 * Disneyland 5/2009 * Offsite 2/2010 * Couple of day trips summer 2011 *
Moved to Florida September 2011!!! * First trip as Florida Residents AND annual passholders 12/2011 * 1/2012 * Contemporary 2/12 * Offsite 4/12 * Offsite 6/12 * Offsite 8/12
Old 02-13-2012, 11:20 AM   #358
thecapells
Disney Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by HilJoy14 View Post
I was surprised that X wasn't tall enough, too! My kids are such giants that I forget what "normal" heights are. (X is maybe a month older than my younger DD, so I was comparing.)

We took my DD for her 3rd birthday two years ago (arriving before her birthday so she would be free the whole trip). She road Soarin', Test Track, Big Thunder Mountain - and she loved it all! When we used FP, the workers there were very confused that we didn't have a FP for her (because she didn't have a ticket) but that she was large enough to ride!

I also agree that Soarin' is starting to age. We were there last weekend and I could barely look at the screen. Between the spots on the film (right in the center) and the jumpy film, it was making me very dizzy!
X is definitely a small fry.
But no worries, he cleared 40" in November and got to enjoy most rides.
It was very weird to have all 5 of us go on rides together for the first time!
There's still some 44" rides he has yet to experience but he's getting there!
(And it helps that since we're not rollercoaster people, we don't care too much for those).

As for Soarin', I've heard Disneyland has a digital copy of the film and is better maintained.
I wonder if the experience is better there because of that.
Any Disneylanders out there who can confirm/deny?
Old 02-13-2012, 06:25 PM   #359
ladylyons
Wishing I was closer to Disneyland

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecapells View Post
X is definitely a small fry.
But no worries, he cleared 40" in November and got to enjoy most rides.
It was very weird to have all 5 of us go on rides together for the first time!
There's still some 44" rides he has yet to experience but he's getting there!
(And it helps that since we're not rollercoaster people, we don't care too much for those).

As for Soarin', I've heard Disneyland has a digital copy of the film and is better maintained.
I wonder if the experience is better there because of that.
Any Disneylanders out there who can confirm/deny?
I've been following along and not posting. It's really hard sometimes with a 5 year old, 3 year old and 17 month old to keep up on these trip reports. That's great that X was finally able to join you guys on the 40" rides on your November trip!! We're just waiting for our DD to reach that height. Our 5 year old DS has been riding them for the last two years and we can't keep him off of them now.

I wanted to comment on Soarin' in Disneyland. You can tell that the film (I don't know if it is digital or not) needs to be remastered or something. There are parts of the film that have spots while your flying over our lovely state (yes I do live in California, about 40 mins from San Francisco on a great no traffic day). I did ride Soarin' in WDW on our last trip in 2009 but I don't rememeber all the details of what's wrong with the one in WDW. I guess I need to talk the DH into another trip back east just to compare the two!!

Wait this isn't the way to WDW! TR
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3346971
Old 02-13-2012, 10:49 PM   #360
boxmaster
Disney Uncle

Favorite ride, why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladylyons View Post

I wanted to comment on Soarin' in Disneyland. You can tell that the film (I don't know if it is digital or not) needs to be remastered or something. There are parts of the film that have spots while your flying over our lovely state (yes I do live in California, about 40 mins from San Francisco on a great no traffic day). I did ride Soarin' in WDW on our last trip in 2009 but I don't rememeber all the details of what's wrong with the one in WDW. I guess I need to talk the DH into another trip back east just to compare the two!!
I'm gratified to hear that there are several other people on here who also had issues with the quality of the print. I had nothing but grief from Mike and Stacey when I gave them my review of the ride after my first time on it.

But that wasn't my only issue. Not only were there spots on the film, there were noticeable tears in the screen, plus the apparently normal lines on the screen (where pieces of it are meshed together?) also drove me nuts. We were in the middle "row" of "cars", so I had feet dangling above me. (While Mike is entertained by that, I find that horrible - it pulls me totally out of the intended illusion. ) I didn't even smell the oranges when soaring over the grove.

To say the least, there couldn't have been a much worse first impression for a much-hyped attraction, IMO. Shame, I was very much looking forward to this after everything all of them plus my parents had said about it. As will be discovered later, though, it all works out for the best, anyway.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: