Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2011, 05:17 AM   #211
MEK
DIS Veteran

Hope your most recent trip was great!

The whole chocolate meatball and spaghetti thing is a little odd, for sure.

Really cute pictures of everyone at Fantasmic.

I have to agree with you that TSM is NOT worth the stampede. Nevertheless, I will stampede in December because my son has never ridden it and I will let him decide for himself.

I never noticed those spoons before. Cute.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 11-25-2011, 12:20 PM   #212
boxmaster
Disney Uncle

Definitely a great show. I'm pretty sure this was my first time watching it. (Did it exist in nearly this fashion ~1995 the only prior time I had gone to then-MGM Studios?)

Hey, Mike, any chance you can take a few still shots from the video(s) I took of the on-water animation during the show? (The full video(s) are probably a bit too long to post as is.)
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-25-2011, 01:21 PM   #213
boxmaster
Disney Uncle

Getting a leg up and kissing

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecapells View Post
After Fantasmic, we realized the park was still open for Evening Extra Magic Hours and I still owed DS his turn on Toy Story Mania.
So we decided to split up – Mom and J would take DD and X to Voyage of the Little Mermaid while I would veer off with DS.
Mom and J will fill you in on the adventures from their side – there was a bit of a miscommunication.
Yes, there was definitely a bit of miscommunication. Largely stemming from the fact that it was unclear to us whether Mike and DS would be attempting to make their way back to meet up with us or not, and there being no phone call forthcoming when we were getting close to the time we'd have to head on into the show from the initial staging area.

After waiting on the outer line for a relatively short time, the four of us entered the staging area for the show. Slowly but surely, the place was filling up. Stacey and I didn't really know what the deal was with Mike and DS, and after long, there was going to be no way we'd be able to have a reasonable line of sight to them if they did arrive. So, I made my way from near the front by the doors into the show to the door at the back of the staging area, cell phone in hand, looking in both directions to see if I could catch a glimpse of the wayward vagabonds. Any calls that Mike made to either of us never managed to get to our phones.

While I waited in the back, I caught a glimpse of a detail most people likely just stream on past:

And, clearly DD and X were a little on the bored side waiting inside this room that didn't have anything interactive going on. So, they chose a different kind of interaction:

Eventually, I gave up on Mike and DS making their way to this show (good thing I did) and worked my way back through the then-packed room over to where Stacey, DD, and X were. A few more minutes and in we went into the show.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:59 PM   #214
thecapells
Disney Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Hope your most recent trip was great!

The whole chocolate meatball and spaghetti thing is a little odd, for sure.

Really cute pictures of everyone at Fantasmic.

I have to agree with you that TSM is NOT worth the stampede. Nevertheless, I will stampede in December because my son has never ridden it and I will let him decide for himself.

I never noticed those spoons before. Cute.
Yeah, I definitely want the kids to get a chance at it, but I'd rather head over to Star Tours with no lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmaster View Post
Definitely a great show. I'm pretty sure this was my first time watching it. (Did it exist in nearly this fashion ~1995 the only prior time I had gone to then-MGM Studios?)

Hey, Mike, any chance you can take a few still shots from the video(s) I took of the on-water animation during the show? (The full video(s) are probably a bit too long to post as is.)
Fantasmic! has been there for some time but probably not in '95.
I know back in 1993, I saw it's predecessor "Splashtacular" in Epcot.

As for the videos, I'll see what I can do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmaster View Post
Eventually, I gave up on Mike and DS making their way to this show (good thing I did) and worked my way back through the then-packed room over to where Stacey, DD, and X were. A few more minutes and in we went into the show.
In our defense, DS and I called on the cell phones several times.
Apparently the Voyage of the Little Mermaid staging area has lead walls or something preventing Mom from getting a signal.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:13 PM   #215
thecapells
Disney Dad

One Man’s Nostalgia

On the way out of Toy Story Mania, I called again but no answer.
(See? I was trying...)

Assuming the gang was still in Voyage of the Little Mermaid, I decided to check out One Man’s Dream with DS.
DS had never been in here before and was finally showing some interest.
And I wanted to see the new revamp of the area.

Remember - it was All Started By a Mouse.
Well, here's Walt in a famous picture with that mouse.
Oh, and who's that with them?
Looks like a brilliant, young, up-and-coming Imagineer!

DUMBO!!!

A replica of the Nautilus!
I loved that ride as a kid!!!

The original Abe Lincoln audio animatronic…
DS was fascinated by this.

But me, I ran over to the new case with my old favorite.
The Original Figment!

And Dreamfinder’s contraption!

Along with the robot butler from Horizons…

And the cast of Kitchen Kabaret – another old favorite!
“Veggie, veggie, fruit, fruit! Veggie, fruit, fruit!”
Author’s Note: My kids now sing that song since I’ve talked about it so much and played them the audio!

In the back are the cool models of the different parks.

Along with the original Tron helmet!!

And the new D23 room which I was really excited to see.
Looks kinda like my office (or at least I wish it did!)

And a recent tribute to Epic Mickey – which we are hooked on at home!

Looking to the future, here’s some pieces of the New Fantasyland…

After that, we met the gang on a bench near the Sorcerer’s Hat and headed out for the evening.
But not before Mom spotted a last Hidden Mickey on the trim of a building on Hollywood Boulevard.

And, of course, our nightly Photopass shots…

Then we hopped the bus but left J behind to enjoy some of Hollywood Studios on his own since it was an Extra Magic Hour Evening.
But that’s his story.
We tucked the kids in with their Disney PJ's (of course) and gave them each a present for the night.
DS has been collecting Disney Racers so he wanted the Donald Racer.

As you may recall, X was busting in the Muppets gift shop for a 2011 bus so that’s what he got…

And our princess got a teaser of what was to come for tomorrow.
An Animal Kingdom Barbie doll…

But before we can head into the jungles of Day Three, J did some exploring on his own.
Take it away J!
Old 11-27-2011, 08:20 PM   #216
boxmaster
Disney Uncle

Terror in the Happiest Place on Earth: Uncle J's Big Adventure

Having split with the “weak-stomached” for the remainder of the evening, I had a few hours to myself, to go at my own pace, including going on my favorite ride from my first foray down to MGM Studios over 15 years ago, now. For some reason, neither Mike nor Stacey can even contemplate going on it and, the same goes for the kids, naturally. (I might be able to partially “correct” the latter problem. But I'm getting ahead of myself.) As if the title didn't give it away, that ride is the Tower of Terror. (insert Twilight Zone music here)

This is such a great ride, IMO. Not only is the actual 2-3 minute “ride” a thrill, literally, the theming throughout the entire thing is wonderful!

When you first enter the long-abandoned “hotel” lobby, you are greeted with tons of details.

Even down to a tapestry with the Holywood Tower Hotel logo

More bags seem to have been left abandoned for years.

And probably a record-length game of mah jongg, still in play.

Doesn't the front desk look like someone will just appear any minute now?

So just where IS everything in this hotel? Just take a look at the Directory listing. Granted, over the past few years some of the letters have naturally fallen off, but you can still make it out. And the beauty of it all is that we actually get to see (almost?) all of those rooms, even though they're not labeled as such that I saw.

So far we've gone through the lobby level lounge and are now making our way to the library. Further proof of the great theming throughout this attraction are all of the trinkets and props.

Some of the props are from the original Twilight Zone, even. Recognize the devilish one here? It's from one of the two episodes that actually starred a pre-Star Trek William Shatner.

Proof that this once was a truly international hotspot.

After making our way through the bowels of the hotel (the Steam Baths, according to the Directory), we arrive at a rather rickety set of elevator doors topped by a rather foreboding sight.

Then, the “do or die” moment. Do we want to see the High Society Suite and the Tip Top Club or not? To chicken out, supposedly satisfied at seeing all of the details so far, or forge on further, enjoying more Twilight Zone and the “terror” of the “13-story freefall”? Please! No-brainer! Onward, march.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:32 PM   #217
thecapells
Disney Dad

Yeah, and that's about as far as I would go.
Chicken Exit please...

Actually - it's cool J went and took so many pictures as I know I'll never be near that place.
And I know he's got some more up his sleeve...
Old 11-28-2011, 05:38 AM   #218
dawnbu40
DIS Veteran

Loved the dual update

I love wandering through One Man's Dream. There is so much to see! How cool that the kids know the veggie/fruit song That was Caitlin's favorite thing at Epcot on her first visit at age 2.

The photopass pics at the Sorceror'sHat are great!

As for Jared's update-as someone to chicken to ride I love to see pics of TOT. The theming is so cool. I have gone through the queue though I just take the smooth elevator ride back down

Old 11-28-2011, 07:20 AM   #219
thecapells
Disney Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnbu40 View Post
Loved the dual update

I love wandering through One Man's Dream. There is so much to see! How cool that the kids know the veggie/fruit song That was Caitlin's favorite thing at Epcot on her first visit at age 2.

The photopass pics at the Sorceror'sHat are great!

As for Jared's update-as someone to chicken to ride I love to see pics of TOT. The theming is so cool. I have gone through the queue though I just take the smooth elevator ride back down
Yeah, for stuff like this, we live vicariously through Uncle J!
Old 11-28-2011, 08:47 AM   #220
MEK
DIS Veteran

Looking forward to seeing all your pictures when I get home tonight. I never tire of looking at ToT queue pictures and there appears there are quite a few.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 11-28-2011, 08:52 AM   #221
thecapells
Disney Dad

Quote:
Looking forward to seeing all your pictures when I get home tonight. I never tire of looking at ToT queue pictures and there appears there are quite a few.
Yeah, we were busy this holiday weekend putting up several segments to make up for the long hiatus.
Hope you like all the pics!
Old 11-28-2011, 07:43 PM   #222
MEK
DIS Veteran

Awesome pics from both of you. Those ToT pictures are some of the best I've seen. You really captured such amazing detail. I tend to grt nervous on ToT so I never leave my camera out that long. I think I need to!

Old 11-28-2011, 07:46 PM   #223
boxmaster
Disney Uncle

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnbu40 View Post
Loved the dual update

Well, then, you should enjoy seeing a bit more than "just" photos. Too bad this will be the only way some people will "experience" ToT.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:50 PM   #224
boxmaster
Disney Uncle

Those Who Are About to Plummet Salute You

Given that likely at least 4 of the other 5 (there's hope for one yet, I think) will NEVER set foot
inside the Tower of Terror elevator, I had to do something. My first time through the ride tonight,
I strictly enjoyed it. I took my time on line, stepping out of the way to let people behind me pass
as I took oodles of pictures. However, the second time through, which had a slightly slower line
(maybe 15 minutes to get through the whole queue) and only a few extra pictures I wanted to
take, I made sure to take video from the moment the elevator doors shut.

For those of you who are similarly “weak-stomached” and can't tolerate the feeling of your stomach
rising and falling opposite of the way your body is moving (shame!), here is the best I could do at
bringing you into the car with us all. And, yes, the rider's voice you hear loudest, once we start
dropping, is mine, but they're squeals of joy and laughter throughout.

Around 1:55 into the video, there's a nice little peak outdoors, just to get us nice and calm overlooking
the great view of DHS, right before we're taunted by a 1-foot drop, before being rushed high-speed
into the bowels of the hotel, sent rising up to the top floors, and once again plummeting to our
doom down below.

Care to join the terror?

So, while I was traveling solo on these two trips through the Tower of Terror, I wasn't traveling alone.
Here are the other intrepid souls who were similarly lost in the deadly plunge to the basement.
You actually might have caught a glimpse of the picture having been taken during the video if you were
looking really closely.

So, having joined some ghosts and made my way through some television lore, what could possibly be next?

Last edited by boxmaster; 11-28-2011 at 08:00 PM. Reason: More carriage returns, easier reading
Old 11-28-2011, 07:55 PM   #225
thecapells
Disney Dad

Quote:
Awesome pics from both of you. Those ToT pictures are some of the best I've seen. You really captured such amazing detail. I tend to grt nervous on ToT so I never leave my camera out that long. I think I need to!
We trained J well.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: