Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2011, 08:01 AM   #1
marivaid
My mother is a Pluto molester.

All bets are in - will we all make it on the plane??

Hi all !!

Well, I started a PreTR several months ago and never quite got the "courage" to keep it going. See I had a bad feeling about our trip. Always had. They should give me my own Psychic show.

Originally we had planned a Totally Different Trip with my sister. Just she & I. We would do everything. Disney, Universal, Seaworld, Busch Gardens, and the beach, the whole nine yards!

My lovely sister just forgot to mention that she intended to, oh yeah, get her stomach shrinked 6 months before our trip.
Yes I am a bit mad that she let me plan a trip of that caliber without sharing that tiny little bit of information. Because there is simply no way we could do this so soon after her surgery. But I got over it.

Meet Jesse, my 35yo sister. She had gastric sleeve surgery in April. Didn't tell anyone in our family - not my mom, not me. Said she was going on vacation. Took me about 2mns with her on the phone to figure it out. Jesse's a bad liar.
Since then she has lost about 120lbs. She looks better, I guess, but doesn't feel so good. She still has some pain issues, and gets tired extremely easily.

Still, the trip was doable. At some point our mom, aka Grumpy, weaseled herself into our trip. We had booked a Platinum package for one night at WL, and after many many MANY changes, had decided to stay at WL for our entire trip. We would take it easy, and rest every day, and whenever she got tired, we'd stop. We booked our flights. We shouldn't have.

See we have a nice little gift in our family : polycystic renal disease. Cysts that develop on the kidneys, and other internal organs. At some point the kidneys become useless and you need dialysis 3 times a week to, well, live. Our dad is at the dialysis stage. Jesse is at the beginning stage of the disease, and I choose to stay in the dark.
Because my dad's kidneys are so big, there wouldn't be space to put a graft in (should they find one). So he has to get surgery to remove a kidney, in November. My mom will need to be there with him constantly for at least 3 months after the operation. Besides, he could get a transplant at any time after that, so he can't go anywhere and naturally, neither can we.
Jesse's on vacation in October and so am I, because my current contract ended at the end of September and I won't start again until late November at the earliest.

All this to say that this was kind of a "now or in a very,very long time" situation.

Jesse started having severe pain on one side of her stomach in September. We all figured it was the surgery, but it wasn't. She had kidney stones, and those stones made the cysts on her kidneys burst and bleed. She said it was the worst pain she ever felt. She went to the ER three times in two weeks, and of course,we decided to cancel our trip.
Except our travel insurance doesn't cover preexisting illnesses, and we were looking at losing over $3000.

Jesse felt better and wanted to go. She had painkillers to take if the bleeding started again (there's nothing else to do anyway). After a lot of searching we found an insurance company that would cover her medical expenses should she need a doctor in the US. If we had booked that insurance when we booked our trip, we would have been able to cancel. Lesson learned.

So we decided to take a chance. Grumpy and I are going, and if she feels good Jesse will too. Originally she & I were supposed to stay for a few more days without Grumpy, who had no desire to visit Busch Gardens. We decided to modify our flights so we could all come back together. We cancelled our Platinum package because she couldn't participate in most of the tours or activities. Besides they'd cancelled Seas Aqua and that was the one thing she wanted to do, that she could actually do.
Instead we turned our Platinum package at WL into a free dining package at CSR. This way, if only Grumpy & I were to go, at least we wouldn't spend as much.

Jesse has to avoid being hit, she can't do anything that would shake her, so many rides are out. We decided to cut our Disney trips down to four full days, and head to the beach after that.

So, there we are. Less than three days before we are supposed to leave, and it's looking good so far (knock wood!!). But anything can happen. We will add Jesse to our CSR reservation Saturday night - I was going to wait until she made it on the plane on Sunday, and add her at checkin, but then I realized that if I did that, she wouldn't be allowed on DME.

There you go, our life story Wish us luck!
I swear the next chaper will be funnier!!

Here we are, Jesse, myself and Grumpy with our pal Donald :

December 2006 ASMO & POFQ ** July 2007 Poly, BWI & Pop ** October 2007 AKL & Pop **
December 2007 ASMU, WL, BC & POFQ ** April 2008 Pop & CSR ** July 2008 Poly ** January 2009 CSR **
July 2009 CSR ** January 2010 HRH ** August 2010 CSR ** October 2010 CSR ** March 2011 CSR **
marivaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:23 PM   #2
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

I sure hope it all works out!!

Hope your sister is well enough to go.

Genetics can produce such a challenge sometimes.
lovethattink is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-21-2011, 12:25 PM   #3
Simba22
DIS Veteran

Marina!!! I was JUST thinking of you this morning! It's been so long since I've seen a TR from you! (the last one I read was the make-up trip you and your mom took, after the trip you brought your sister on.... )

So glad your back with another one!

ETA: Your sister cracks me up! That surgery could have gone devistatingly wrong and she didn't tell anyone??? And that is scary about the PRD in your family....definitely painful and expensive. Hope everyone is doing OK

Last edited by Simba22; 10-21-2011 at 12:30 PM.
Simba22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 12:17 AM   #4
winkers
I was stuck in that position and ... It took 4 strapping young boys to hoist me back on my feet
Personally, I'm a popper! I love me some black heads.

I'm glad I found you!
winkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:20 PM   #5
407-W-DISNEY
DIS Veteran

Hi Marina,
I have read all your other reports - you have a natural talent for writing.
I just found this report....did you go? is everyone ok??
Hope all is well...

11/1998 - Disneymoon - Grand Floridian
12/2001 - Boardwalk
05/2007 - Contempory
11/2008 - 10th Wedding Anniversary - Grand Floridian
08/2010 - Poly - hubby's 40th
09/2011 - Wilderness Lodge - my 40th
09/2012 - Caribbean Beach
11/2013 - 15th Wedding Anniversary - Animal Kingdom Lodge
407-W-DISNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:21 PM   #6
kimbo0569
DIS Veteran

Can't wait to read more. I hope you got to go and the trip went smoothly.

CBR - 1992/1993/1995/1997
1999 - GF - honeymoon
2000 -daytrip Epcot- F&W Festival 2001 POFQ 2003 -oldest dd's first day trip to MK/ dinner at OHana
2004 POR
2008 POR http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1996562My first TR!
2013 CSR/Food & Wine Anniversary trip
kimbo0569 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:11 PM   #7
DisneyTabby
I Luv Disney

We haven't heard from you. Hope all is well with your family.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:50 PM   #8
heatherleigh
DIS Veteran

Yours is the only trip I've read on the WDW TR side. We are DL visitors. Anyway, I wanted to re-read some of your hellish tr- I remember it being hilarious, and to catch up. It sounds like you are planning or you did a recent trip? Please update and let us know how your sissy is doing.
AK Trip Report 6/10: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2501164
heatherleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:50 AM   #9
SeptemberGirl
There should be a quiz at the door
Feel free to point out I'm on the Crazy Train

Just found this! How was the trip? How are you and your sister and mom and dad?

My drinking club has a running problem...bring on the bling!
SeptemberGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:06 PM   #10
punkin1763
Mouseketeer

subscribing and hoping everything for your trip came together! Most of all I hope everyone is feeling better physically.
April 2013 -FQ;Nov/Dec 2011-AKL; Mar 2010-POFQ; Feb 09-WL; Sep 08-CR/WL; Dec 07-AKL; Sep/Oct 06-POP; Dec 05-WL; Jan 05-CB; Aug 04-AKL; Dec 2003/Jan 04-POP; Dec 2002-ASMu & AKL; Feb 2002-POR; Feb 2000-CB
punkin1763 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: